Race Manipulation... Fans are "cheated"

nealb129
Can't believe this hasn't been brought up yet.... It was very clear what Tomac was doing trying to keep everyone together and run Dungey high when given the chance. (Great strategy I would have done the same)

So for all you Jazzbos crying last week that the race was "manipulated" and it "cheapened" the championship. Do you think the same about this race? Tomac could have checked out but instead held up the field and could have potentially injured dungey by running him high/off track.

Is this ok b/c it created great racing? Is it ok b/c Tomac was the one doing the manipulating?

Disclaimer.... I don't care who wins, how they win, think the points system is fine etc.
|
JSmith
5/7/2017 5:15am
Anyone who didn't like the Vegas race needs to give up watching Supercross and start watching golf.
tprice07
5/7/2017 5:22am
JSmith wrote:
Anyone who didn't like the Vegas race needs to give up watching Supercross and start watching golf.
Agreed
Acidreamer
5/7/2017 6:03am
Theres a difference in blocking the dude youre trying to take a title from and pulling over and giving away wins. I dont hear anything about osborne either

The Shop

td104
5/7/2017 6:06am
Going forward will we eventually see teams doing it from the beginning?
This years 450 class especially showed you can't beat a guy like Dungey with speed alone. So do people that believe its ohk for Musquin to pull over for his team mate, or Tomac to slow the race up and try getting others involved because its a team sport, also thinks its ohk for teams to hire guys like Barcia, Reed or even a good starter like Friese, who really don't have a great chance anymore at the title or bonus cheques, to go out and take as many points away from others as they can. Not take people out, but just give them all kinds of grief and put road blocks everywhere, or give up easy points. If the title is all people care about, and we don't remember people for race wins, then really isn't the whole season only about 4 or 5 people who have a chance?

Side note, I was rooting for Tomac and Osborne, i like a chequers or wreckers guy that puts it all on the line to win, I'm not a fan of slow and steady. And because this is Vital I probably also need to say that doesn't mean i hate Dungey, I'm not a fan but I do think he is one of the very elite of our sport. Well done to him on a 7th title, and Thankyou to Tomac on an incredible season
newmann
5/7/2017 6:08am
Did anyone notice that even with Eli going as slow as he could to affect the outcome of the race, Barcia still got lapped?
BobPA
5/7/2017 6:09am
JSmith wrote:
Whats wrong with golf?
nealb129
5/7/2017 6:12am
I was just curious what everyone thought? Because it could have been a very boring race had Tomac not slowed down.
Joe512
5/7/2017 6:15am
newmann wrote:
Did anyone notice that even with Eli going as slow as he could to affect the outcome of the race, Barcia still got lapped?
This made my day
td104
5/7/2017 6:22am
Some may feel cheated, but i think it all offered a lot more excitement than anything else, all season long.
Im at work while its on, with a strict no phone policy and every sunday I've been trying to find somewhere to hide to check the race. Just to see if Tomacs pulled more points, or if Dungeys reached his hand down and pulled another gear. I can wait to get home and watch it. People should be happy really shouldn't they? they've had a lot more action than the usually get!
5/7/2017 6:23am
JSmith wrote:
A golf tournament is closer to a race than the SX championship is. At least in golf every event is for all the marbles. As far as I know you don't see golfers do anything but their best at every single event.
benstone
5/7/2017 6:24am
nealb129 wrote:
Can't believe this hasn't been brought up yet.... It was very clear what Tomac was doing trying to keep everyone together and run Dungey high when...
Can't believe this hasn't been brought up yet.... It was very clear what Tomac was doing trying to keep everyone together and run Dungey high when given the chance. (Great strategy I would have done the same)

So for all you Jazzbos crying last week that the race was "manipulated" and it "cheapened" the championship. Do you think the same about this race? Tomac could have checked out but instead held up the field and could have potentially injured dungey by running him high/off track.

Is this ok b/c it created great racing? Is it ok b/c Tomac was the one doing the manipulating?

Disclaimer.... I don't care who wins, how they win, think the points system is fine etc.
Huge difference: What Eli "manipulated", he "manipulated" all himself - there was no team involved. What Marvin did was done for the benefit of Dungey (The team) and that's what rubs me the wrong way.

I want this sport to be about INDIVIDUALS racing each. Best man wins. Not: "Best group of racers who have some bullshit plan". If we go down that path, we'll end up with teams picking second and third riders based on their blocking and take out skills to support their chosen winning rider.
LumpDog841
5/7/2017 6:34am
JSmith wrote:
X2
hoots3pak
5/7/2017 6:42am
Just like our political system. All these people watch the same race and I can't believe how polorized we are. We saw a great night of racing and people are saying, "not my champion"and Osborne should be docked points. To some people it wouldn't matter the outcome, they would bitch.
td104
5/7/2017 6:50am
benstone wrote:
Huge difference: What Eli "manipulated", he "manipulated" all himself - there was no team involved. What Marvin did was done for the benefit of Dungey (The...
Huge difference: What Eli "manipulated", he "manipulated" all himself - there was no team involved. What Marvin did was done for the benefit of Dungey (The team) and that's what rubs me the wrong way.

I want this sport to be about INDIVIDUALS racing each. Best man wins. Not: "Best group of racers who have some bullshit plan". If we go down that path, we'll end up with teams picking second and third riders based on their blocking and take out skills to support their chosen winning rider.
I'm against it too, which is why i ask if it will affect things going forward. Tomac manipulated it brilliantly, almost perfectly, because its they only option he had, 1 week ago he would have put the hammer down and given it everything he has. Which is what i like about him, and Zacko this year. Marvin lost more of my respect last week than Dungey did. Nobody can tell me Dungey asked for it, so i won't put it all on him.
RangerLee
5/7/2017 6:54am
JSmith wrote:
^^ I like this guy!
hoots3pak
5/7/2017 7:00am
JSmith wrote:
RangerLee wrote:
^^ I like this guy!
Hoooooooaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh Ranger.
yzmatt
5/7/2017 7:05am
He won by 5 points, quit sniveling about marvin letting him past last week.
Walter
5/7/2017 7:36am
"...Huge difference: What Eli "manipulated", he "manipulated" all himself - there was no team involved..."

Of course there was team involvement and Grant admitted as much on the box. Tomac needed to bunch the field to get folks between himself and Dungey and Grant's job was to try to get in front of Dungey to steal points.

All fair play.

Dungey did not buckle (like a number of the 250 riders did) under immense pressure.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
5/7/2017 8:38am
Whoa, i been known to wax the race, whip the shit out of my bike over the nastiest triples out there and then race home to watch golf and then play golf the next day. Golf is fucking great. Moto is better tho. Lol
Crossup
5/7/2017 8:57am
nealb129 wrote:
Can't believe this hasn't been brought up yet.... It was very clear what Tomac was doing trying to keep everyone together and run Dungey high when...

Both 250 and 450 mains were great races. I was glad to witness it live. I hope the racing stays like this in the future.

I am fine with Dungey's championship because he earned it. That said, he really could not beat Tomac. He had the holeshot, Tomac reeled him in and passed him, Several times he "passed" Tomac (depends on if you think Tomac let him back in or not), BUT Dungey could never pull away and own the race. Tomac had him on speed all night.
Mr. Info
5/7/2017 9:16am
The 250 east and 450 finishes were all planned ahead by Feld to make for a larger TV audience. Bring in new viewers and a larger market share. It was all scripted.

Post a reply to: Race Manipulation... Fans are "cheated"

The Latest