Race Length - next year

dmac1
Heres my prediction...race length will go back to being determined by the number of laps completed. Why do I say this? Because tracks can't hold up to the additional traffic. Heck...they couldn't hold up before (e.g. Villopoto's 2010 crash in St. Louis) and if rider safety is of any level of concern, we'll go back to how it was.
|
cpyz300
2/22/2017 8:23am
Why would they do that based off injuries? The injury list is rather short compared to countless years before. Also who has gotten hurt this year after the race has gone to "extra laps" past the old format? Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think anyone has. Most get hurt at the start of races like usual when the track is the fastest and crowded.
2/22/2017 8:24am Edited Date/Time 2/22/2017 8:25am
I like the timed mains...has helped racing a lot. BUT they need to make the laptimes longer because yes these 50 second long tracks get destroyed. But I think if the laps are 1 minute + then the timed mains are perfectly fine.
DPR250R
2/22/2017 8:29am
Longer tracks, keep the timed mains.
cpyz300
2/22/2017 8:37am
If we get consistent 1 minute plus tracks then I DO want a lap format back. I want the longest amount of racing possible.

If they keep the short tracks and a timed race then I'd just want more dirt so we're not seeing plywood each week. I like these rutted up tracks as it starts challenging the riders more. It's fun to watch.

The Shop

GangGreen
2/22/2017 8:58am
dmac1 wrote:
Heres my prediction...race length will go back to being determined by the number of laps completed. Why do I say this? Because tracks can't hold up...
Heres my prediction...race length will go back to being determined by the number of laps completed. Why do I say this? Because tracks can't hold up to the additional traffic. Heck...they couldn't hold up before (e.g. Villopoto's 2010 crash in St. Louis) and if rider safety is of any level of concern, we'll go back to how it was.
The timed Main Events are awesome, and a positive change to AMA Professional Racing. You guys realize the Heat Races are ONLY "5 minutes + one lap" and the Semi Final Races are ONLY "4 minutes plus one lap." Years past, 1980's and 1990's, the Heat Races were 8 laps and the Semi-Final Races were 6 laps.
People fail to realize........
The real problem may be as simple as the harebrained decision to go to “Timed Practice”. It forces the riders to ride the fast line during practice, thus insuring a one-lined racetrack, and wearing that one line harder. They used to place hay bales on the insides, or in the good line during practice, to create more lines. Supercross and Motocross is about racing, not just who can do ONE FAST LAP.
Ted722
2/22/2017 9:03am
Curious how the track would hold up if all the riders rode 250's.
yzf842
2/22/2017 9:24am
This is the best thing to happen to Sx. In a long time. I love watching the longer races and the challenges the track throws at them. I'm hoping it doesn't change
mx836
2/22/2017 9:24am
GangGreen wrote:
[b]The timed Main Events are awesome, and a positive change to AMA Professional Racing. [/b] You guys realize the Heat Races are ONLY "5 minutes +...
The timed Main Events are awesome, and a positive change to AMA Professional Racing. You guys realize the Heat Races are ONLY "5 minutes + one lap" and the Semi Final Races are ONLY "4 minutes plus one lap." Years past, 1980's and 1990's, the Heat Races were 8 laps and the Semi-Final Races were 6 laps.
The real problem may be as simple as the harebrained decision to go to “Timed Practice”. It forces the riders to ride the fast line during practice, thus insuring a one-lined racetrack, and wearing that one line harder. They used to place hay bales on the insides, or in the good line during practice, to create more lines. Supercross and Motocross is about racing, not just who can do ONE FAST LAP.
Next year they will say it's not working so they are going back to 20 lap mains, but keeping timed heats, semis, and LCQs. This way they can cut racing by making it look like an attemp to give us more racing. Anytime Feld does something that the fans want, you can bet there is a silver lining for them. Wink
TeamGreen
2/22/2017 9:28am
I like the timed mains...has helped racing a lot. BUT they need to make the laptimes longer because yes these 50 second long tracks get destroyed...
I like the timed mains...has helped racing a lot. BUT they need to make the laptimes longer because yes these 50 second long tracks get destroyed. But I think if the laps are 1 minute + then the timed mains are perfectly fine.
My thinking as well.
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
2/22/2017 9:39am
Timed Main Events are the best thing to happen to Supercross racing in a long time. Despite the sometimes popular opinion on here, I don't think Feld is stupid and I think they realize this. If any changes are made next year I believe it will revolve around making the track better.

I love that tracks are breaking down and JT$ said it right by referring anyone who thinks this is a new phenomenon to watch old supercross races from the 90s. If Feld perceives the track getting down to the plywood as a problem then I think they'll ask dirt works to make the base thicker and that means they'll be buying more dirt.
Roostermx58
2/22/2017 10:17am
DPR250R wrote:
Longer tracks, keep the timed mains.
How? They are already using the biggest stadiums. I think they fill the space as much as possible.
johnnymf0
2/22/2017 11:56am
GangGreen wrote:
[b]The timed Main Events are awesome, and a positive change to AMA Professional Racing. [/b] You guys realize the Heat Races are ONLY "5 minutes +...
X2 I've hated the timed practice since it was implemented and I absolutely despise it in the Nationals.
JW381
2/22/2017 11:59am
Lotta ideas in here I agree with. Seems to be no evidence that anyone has crashed past lap 20. At least nothing substantial. Also agree that timed practice sucks.
dmac1
2/22/2017 7:48pm Edited Date/Time 2/22/2017 7:49pm
JW381 wrote:
Lotta ideas in here I agree with. Seems to be no evidence that anyone has crashed past lap 20. At least nothing substantial. Also agree that...
Lotta ideas in here I agree with. Seems to be no evidence that anyone has crashed past lap 20. At least nothing substantial. Also agree that timed practice sucks.
And the past lap 20 issue is what prompted me to post this. The missing word is 'yet'. And yes, I know, for example, that RV2 crashed with 9 laps to go in St. Louis in 2010 after spinning on plywood, so its not a new issue, but the problem is exacerbated with the additional laps. The fact that Eli was regularly hitting plywood prompted my thought....that plus Dungey's close call (not sure exactly what caused it but possibly track break-down).

As far as rider safety being a concern...I knew someone would pick up on that and laugh. Unfortunately its probably true that they don't care, but its sad at the same time. There are enough risks without unsafe tracks factoring in.

I too like the longer races.....but they need to have well constructed tracks that will hold up for the duration. If you think otherwise, then your are just watching for the carnage.
JW381
2/22/2017 7:56pm
I ain't watching for carnage. But I don't believe the format will/should change next year. If there is an issue with the tracks holding up, it can be addressed by the track builders. Otherwise, they're the best pro riders and they can navigate difficult tracks as part of their job description. Once upon a time risk vs reward was a staple of racing dirtbikes. That being, the tracks could be slower and more technical to begin with.
kevin204
Fantasy
2865th
2/22/2017 8:02pm
The only thing we really need is more dirt. Deeper base, wider lanes, bigger obstacles.
jbrown15
2/22/2017 8:15pm
I'm willing to bet the timed mains will be around next SX season along with metal starting grates.
urbanlift707
2/22/2017 8:48pm
I personally like times mains better. But I'd really like to see more dirt and instead of allowing more time to fix the tracks simply buy two-three more skidsteers so they can work more efficiently.

Post a reply to: Race Length - next year

The Latest