RX article concerning flaggers...

Crush
Edited Date/Time 3/4/2013 4:09pm
So sorry to start another thread... but i'm just amused... Either way I think RV woulda won, but it does highlight the muppet status of our sport sometimes...

Reading what Weege just reported on RacerXonline.com, from the AMA's point of view, RV was ok because either they (AMA) didn't acknowledge the 2nd crossed red flag or he didn't pass between the 2nd cross flag and the yellow, he passed in the yellow section...

Which is fuckin baffling that they would interpret the rules like that...

Moral of the story is, why don't we train the flaggers with something more than a free hotdog and a shirt... They're terrible!

http://www.racerxonline.com/2013/03/03/the-moment-red-lights-and-yellow…

|
bvm111
3/3/2013 7:35pm
is "muppet" some sort of weird aussie slang... like calling McDonalds "Mackers?"

I dont disagree with what you are saying... just curious as I have seen it said by a few of your fellow aussies over the past few days!
moto726
3/3/2013 7:38pm
Just so you know, or as far as I know from flagging at a supercross in Seattle, that the ama officials are actually the ones with the red cross flags, not your average flagger, and you get a pretty good explanation on what to do before you even step foot on the track
3/3/2013 7:44pm
I would have thought most people would have realized the person infront was going slow because of the flags. RV didnt seem to care, or maybe he was worked up because James passed him in the corner before when the lights were flashing. Kinda seems like they were both in the wrong as far as I understand it.
3/3/2013 7:55pm
689 wrote:
I would have thought most people would have realized the person infront was going slow because of the flags. RV didnt seem to care, or maybe...
I would have thought most people would have realized the person infront was going slow because of the flags. RV didnt seem to care, or maybe he was worked up because James passed him in the corner before when the lights were flashing. Kinda seems like they were both in the wrong as far as I understand it.
Stewart's pass on Villopoto was the same as the Dungey/Millsaps pass though. In one of the articles on Racer X's site they explained that you can race up until the point where the flashing lights are. Dungey doubled past Millsaps before they got to the flashing lights which was completely legal just like Stewart's pass.

The Shop

3/3/2013 7:56pm
bvm111 wrote:
is "muppet" some sort of weird aussie slang... like calling McDonalds "Mackers?" I dont disagree with what you are saying... just curious as I have seen...
is "muppet" some sort of weird aussie slang... like calling McDonalds "Mackers?"

I dont disagree with what you are saying... just curious as I have seen it said by a few of your fellow aussies over the past few days!
This is what a muppet is

TDeath21
3/3/2013 7:58pm
Just throwing an idea out right here. How about we get a different colored flag than all the rest that signifies the end of the danger section and it's now okay to pass? That would end all controversy as to if it were legal or not. It's not illegal to gain on a rider during a red cross section. It's just illegal to pass. I don't know if this idea would work either, but it's a thought. As it is right now, there is no black and white rule that says when you can pass again. It's all rider judgement, which is impossible to penalize.
motoplook
3/3/2013 8:01pm
it's a joke! AMA should just throw away the red cross and yellow flags or enforce it. St Louis was a joke.
Crush
3/3/2013 8:02pm
bvm111 wrote:
is "muppet" some sort of weird aussie slang... like calling McDonalds "Mackers?" I dont disagree with what you are saying... just curious as I have seen...

Muppet is literally like the muppets... without brain, being controlled by some nameless face... we don't know who...

Moto 726, I'm sure they're some who are more trained, but if that's the case, then the yellow guys shouldn't have been waving em, only because the way the rules are written, the White and Red SHOULD overrule the yellow... Ie go with the one that is safety first...

They ruled that it was danger for only a metre, between the red/white and the yellows... Which is also ridiculous considering the downed rider Kiniry was even FURTHER down the track... It just makes no sense, like technically, ok, but really? That's what you're saying... Well then clean the flagging up so James and Davi know they've gotta go slow for the next metre and fuck common sense...

They fucked up, and didn't have the sack to stick to the rules or at the very least the ethics of the rules...

And I don't care that it was RV, you'll all remember I defended his off track move earlier this year cause he did the right thing...
Hut
3/3/2013 8:07pm
No way to legitimately blame the flaggers on this one. RV should not have passed there and to just let it slide again is a joke. I don't want the championship to be decided on a technicality but I sure don't want it to be decided by favoritism or cheating either. The flag was up and he passed so to me it is black and white. I only watched it on TV though so maybe it was just my imagination...
3/3/2013 8:08pm
bvm111 wrote:

STFU ya muppet! Grinning It's used over here a lot as well.
Crush
3/3/2013 8:09pm
TDeath21 wrote:
Just throwing an idea out right here. How about we get a different colored flag than all the rest that signifies the end of the danger...
Just throwing an idea out right here. How about we get a different colored flag than all the rest that signifies the end of the danger section and it's now okay to pass? That would end all controversy as to if it were legal or not. It's not illegal to gain on a rider during a red cross section. It's just illegal to pass. I don't know if this idea would work either, but it's a thought. As it is right now, there is no black and white rule that says when you can pass again. It's all rider judgement, which is impossible to penalize.
Yeah except theoretically you'd just go with having passed the danger...

The flags, both yellow and red were preceding the rider, so you'd at least imagine that it was until the rider down position was passed...

And until then you'd also have to think that given the hierarchy of the flags the Red Cross white is the one that is obeyed until the incident is passed...

But then i'm not a retard.
TDeath21
3/3/2013 8:10pm
Crush wrote:
Muppet is literally like the muppets... without brain, being controlled by some nameless face... we don't know who... Moto 726, I'm sure they're some who are...
Muppet is literally like the muppets... without brain, being controlled by some nameless face... we don't know who...

Moto 726, I'm sure they're some who are more trained, but if that's the case, then the yellow guys shouldn't have been waving em, only because the way the rules are written, the White and Red SHOULD overrule the yellow... Ie go with the one that is safety first...

They ruled that it was danger for only a metre, between the red/white and the yellows... Which is also ridiculous considering the downed rider Kiniry was even FURTHER down the track... It just makes no sense, like technically, ok, but really? That's what you're saying... Well then clean the flagging up so James and Davi know they've gotta go slow for the next metre and fuck common sense...

They fucked up, and didn't have the sack to stick to the rules or at the very least the ethics of the rules...

And I don't care that it was RV, you'll all remember I defended his off track move earlier this year cause he did the right thing...
I agree with the safety first philosophy. That should always be the case. Had Kiniry been laying there not getting up I might be more on the side of penalizing Villopoto. However, he was kick starting his bike. Really there shouldn't have been anyone around him at all at that point.
Ripper02
3/3/2013 8:12pm
Better question is why was the red cross flag even out when Kiniry was already up and starting his bike?
TDeath21
3/3/2013 8:12pm
TDeath21 wrote:
Just throwing an idea out right here. How about we get a different colored flag than all the rest that signifies the end of the danger...
Crush wrote:
Yeah except theoretically you'd just go with having passed the danger... The flags, both yellow and red were preceding the rider, so you'd at least imagine...
Yeah except theoretically you'd just go with having passed the danger...

The flags, both yellow and red were preceding the rider, so you'd at least imagine that it was until the rider down position was passed...

And until then you'd also have to think that given the hierarchy of the flags the Red Cross white is the one that is obeyed until the incident is passed...

But then i'm not a retard.
Yeah it's just too much of a gray area in my opinion to penalize Villopoto. Area of concern is just way too general of a description. Just different wording would help A LOT.
Hut
3/3/2013 8:17pm
bvm111 wrote:

Crush wrote:
Muppet is literally like the muppets... without brain, being controlled by some nameless face... we don't know who... Moto 726, I'm sure they're some who are...

I agree with you here. But I think it's worth mentioning that a yellow flag doesn't mean go ahead and pass either. It is a caution flag for a reason and the rule says use extreme caution.
They need a dictator with a set of balls to oversee these decisions!
Crush
3/3/2013 8:18pm
TDeath21 wrote:
I agree with the safety first philosophy. That should always be the case. Had Kiniry been laying there not getting up I might be more on...
I agree with the safety first philosophy. That should always be the case. Had Kiniry been laying there not getting up I might be more on the side of penalizing Villopoto. However, he was kick starting his bike. Really there shouldn't have been anyone around him at all at that point.
Do you think RV or anyone in that situation has time to see if the rider is down or getting up or what?

The flags should be the flags should be the rules should be the ruling...

Except this is the ama, where everything is by negotiation...
early
Fantasy
2212th
3/3/2013 8:18pm
TDeath21 wrote:
I agree with the safety first philosophy. That should always be the case. Had Kiniry been laying there not getting up I might be more on...
As long as the flag is out I don't think it matters what else is happening on the track. You can't have riders interpret the flags in anything but a very strict manner to keep it fair.
TDeath21
3/3/2013 8:22pm
Hut wrote:
I agree with you here. But I think it's worth mentioning that a yellow flag doesn't mean go ahead and pass either. It is a caution...
I agree with you here. But I think it's worth mentioning that a yellow flag doesn't mean go ahead and pass either. It is a caution flag for a reason and the rule says use extreme caution.
They need a dictator with a set of balls to oversee these decisions!
The yellow flag is so terrible. There are so many times they're waving the yellow flag for nothing. The pros never use extreme caution through yellow flags. They know if it's serious, there will be a red cross or the flashing red lights. The yellow flags are displayed so often for such a variety of things, you'd lose a lot of time if you used extreme caution through them every lap. Honestly only about one in ten times the yellow flag is displayed should you really use extreme caution. If they're going to allow passing during a yellow flag, you can't seriously expect riders in a heated battle to use extreme caution.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
3/3/2013 8:23pm
The bottom line is did he make the pass after the Red Cross flag and downed rider. That is the only thing that matters as far as the rules go. From the photo it looks like he may have passed James after the flag and downed rider.
TDeath21
3/3/2013 8:26pm
Crush wrote:
Do you think RV or anyone in that situation has time to see if the rider is down or getting up or what? The flags should...
Do you think RV or anyone in that situation has time to see if the rider is down or getting up or what?

The flags should be the flags should be the rules should be the ruling...

Except this is the ama, where everything is by negotiation...
I doubt he could see if Kiniry was down or up. Like I said before though, until there is a set end point as to where the no passing area ends, there's not much Stewart can do about it. The rulebook has too many generalizations and gray areas. I do think though by the rulebook, this time Villopoto was in the clear.
Sully22
3/3/2013 8:31pm
Ripper02 wrote:
Better question is why was the red cross flag even out when Kiniry was already up and starting his bike?
Bingo....This is what I was wondering when watching. I thought the red n white was for injured or possibly injured rider down...bk was up attempting to start his bike. Watching that I was scratching my head as to why the red n white was out in the first place.
Hut
3/3/2013 8:32pm
TDeath21 wrote:
I doubt he could see if Kiniry was down or up. Like I said before though, until there is a set end point as to where...
I doubt he could see if Kiniry was down or up. Like I said before though, until there is a set end point as to where the no passing area ends, there's not much Stewart can do about it. The rulebook has too many generalizations and gray areas. I do think though by the rulebook, this time Villopoto was in the clear.
You don't need an end point, you do need an official with a set of balls, good judgement and authority to say you passed when the Red Cross flag was out and award a fitting penalty. 2 times in one moto should bring at least some sort of penalty, IMHO
TDeath21
3/3/2013 8:37pm
TDeath21 wrote:
I doubt he could see if Kiniry was down or up. Like I said before though, until there is a set end point as to where...
Hut wrote:
You don't need an end point, you do need an official with a set of balls, good judgement and authority to say you passed when the...
You don't need an end point, you do need an official with a set of balls, good judgement and authority to say you passed when the Red Cross flag was out and award a fitting penalty. 2 times in one moto should bring at least some sort of penalty, IMHO
I think you do need an end point. Theoretically, once you're about ten feet away from the area of concern, you're basically in the clear. Is it when you both completely pass the downed rider? Is it when the section ends? It's not explained clearly. Yes common sense tells you whenever they're past the downed rider, but if that's the case, what Villopoto did was legal. Like I've said, according to the extremely gray and poorly worded AMA Rulebook, Villopoto is in the clear on this one. We can argue all we want about what we think should be right, but the only thing that matters is the official rules. That goes for everything in life.
Hut
3/3/2013 8:40pm
TDeath21 wrote:
I think you do need an end point. Theoretically, once you're about ten feet away from the area of concern, you're basically in the clear. Is...
I think you do need an end point. Theoretically, once you're about ten feet away from the area of concern, you're basically in the clear. Is it when you both completely pass the downed rider? Is it when the section ends? It's not explained clearly. Yes common sense tells you whenever they're past the downed rider, but if that's the case, what Villopoto did was legal. Like I've said, according to the extremely gray and poorly worded AMA Rulebook, Villopoto is in the clear on this one. We can argue all we want about what we think should be right, but the only thing that matters is the official rules. That goes for everything in life.
RV was making that pass before they passed the downed rider.
urbanlift707
3/3/2013 8:42pm
All this BS from the ama will just cause more aggressive racing under red cross flags. JS was clearly riding more cautious than RV/JB while they passed the down rider. This now sends the message to the lead rider in a battle to not show extreme caution but to ride fast and defensive through that section. So legally RV and JB could have raced up to JS gotten side by side and then waiting to pin it as soon as they pasted the flag.?
TDeath21
3/3/2013 8:48pm
TDeath21 wrote:
I think you do need an end point. Theoretically, once you're about ten feet away from the area of concern, you're basically in the clear. Is...
Hut wrote:
RV was making that pass before they passed the downed rider.
He was gaining time, which isn't illegal. He was setting up a pass, which isn't illegal. It caught Stewart off guard, which isn't illegal. He made the pass when they were past the area of concern, but like I said, that's way too broad of a definition to be able to enforce a rule.
Hut
3/3/2013 8:52pm Edited Date/Time 3/3/2013 8:53pm
There are Too many shithouse lawyers and not enough common sense. That's all I have to add to this.
dak446
3/3/2013 8:58pm
TDeath21 wrote:
The 'flag' that signifies the end of the danger section is the downed rider. The riders are not supposed to 'race' past downed riders in this situation, and racing is supposed to resume AFTER the downed rider has been cleared. There is no reason to have a different color flag.

What happened on the track Saturday night was clearly wrong (on two occasions), and the parties in charge of doling out penalties were asleep at the wheel. This should be a rider safety issue first and foremost, and it's turned in to a 'as long as you're in title contention, you can do what you like' issue. It's sad that this is even an argument being made at the professional level, and the AMA should be ashamed of the way they handled this (and other) similar situations.

Post a reply to: RX article concerning flaggers...

The Latest