RV + IV = No race right ?

500guy
3/22/2014 11:19am Edited Date/Time 3/24/2014 4:46pm
At no time during the event , I read it like he should not be allowed to race.

4.6 Intravenous Hydration
a. At no time during the event will a rider receive any type of
intravenous hydration unless such hydration is deemed
medically necessary by medical personnel as a result of an
emergency medical situation (e.g. heat stroke) encountered by
a rider, during, or as a result of competing in, an event,
practices, heat races or qualifying sessions that are part of an
event.
b. Once a rider receives such hydration during the meet, the rider
will not be permitted to compete in any further events at the
meet including, but not limited to, any further practice
sessions, heat races, qualifying sessions or final events
composing any event in the meet unless and until the rider is
released by the medical personnel who treats the rider for the
specific emergency medical situation at issue.
|
kongols
3/22/2014 11:21am
Does a event start as soon as you get your bikes in to tech inspection? Or does it start with first practice?
Juss
3/22/2014 11:22am
I would think the event starts as soon as first practice starts?
500guy
3/22/2014 11:23am
kongols wrote:
Does a event start as soon as you get your bikes in to tech inspection? Or does it start with first practice?
I would say it starts when the gates open.

The Shop

AS64
Fantasy
2062nd
3/22/2014 11:23am Edited Date/Time 3/22/2014 11:27am
Juss wrote:
I would think the event starts as soon as first practice starts?
That would make sense but I think it is up for debate.
flarider
3/22/2014 11:29am
I say it's the day of the event, otherwise, what's to prevent riders from needling up from the moment they wake up in hotel all the way up until practice starts?

Man, let's start a new business of selling saline bags and IV's at the races for privateers, have a nurse administer it and all you'll see in the pits during the morning at at riders meeting is riders with IV bags plugged into their arms

I'm gonna catch shit for this, I know, but man, the "spirit of the rule" is, you get a needle, you're done
DownSouth
3/22/2014 11:29am Edited Date/Time 3/22/2014 11:30am
On SX live they say he is at the hospital getting treatment. Anything that goes on is doctor patient privalege, how would anyone know what happened? All this is speculation from a tweet from whoever "Motonews.com" is.

The intent of the rule is to keep guys who overexhert themselves during competetion from getting an IV to bounce back quickly to race again that day. When a rider is sick before the event and gets treatment it really does not fall under the intent of the rule.

If he lined up for practice rode and then got an IV then by all means he would not be allowed to continue competing. Since he is not at the track and has not ridden it seems to be sort of a grey area possibly.
kongols
3/22/2014 11:30am
Steve Matthes ‏@pulpmx 5m
In talking to the Kawi guys, they were hoping RV would ride 2nd practice but he's not ready yet. Yikes...
flarider
3/22/2014 11:34am
DownSouth wrote:
On SX live they say he is at the hospital getting treatment. Anything that goes on is doctor patient privalege, how would anyone know what happened...
On SX live they say he is at the hospital getting treatment. Anything that goes on is doctor patient privalege, how would anyone know what happened? All this is speculation from a tweet from whoever "Motonews.com" is.

The intent of the rule is to keep guys who overexhert themselves during competetion from getting an IV to bounce back quickly to race again that day. When a rider is sick before the event and gets treatment it really does not fall under the intent of the rule.

If he lined up for practice rode and then got an IV then by all means he would not be allowed to continue competing. Since he is not at the track and has not ridden it seems to be sort of a grey area possibly.
If you are so ill that you need an IV to compete, you're too ill to compete

No different than being too dehydrated to compete, which is why the rule was created in the first place

and BTW, the rule came about because a rider had what and took an IV between races?

Right, he was ill and dehydrated and decided to take a bag

If you're too ill and dehydrated, whether before moto 1 or moto 2 or practice, and you need an IV, you're too ill to race
bd
3/22/2014 11:38am
Damm.... I hope RV is ok. That said, if he is this ill, he has no business being on the track. Not only is he a danger to other, but also himself. I hope the AMA doesn't fold.
jeffro503
3/22/2014 11:40am
To re-hydrate between motos and and things of that nature.....sure DQ him. But even if he is doing IV's right now to help him get through food poisoning before he even gets to the stadium.....I don't really see the harm in that. RV is the type of rider which would line up no matter what.....and from a safety stand point , there are exceptions to the rule. If Stewart , Reed , Roczen or anyone else was in this exact same situation......they would act the same way.

Maybe that sounds " RV Biased "......but I don't know how else to put it.
Big Lenny
3/22/2014 11:42am
These Cats have top trainers HTF could he get food poisioning?, I know at the track people eat some of the rottenest shit known to man and don't get sick,..How many of you have had FP this year?...Dry
flarider
3/22/2014 11:43am
jeffro503 wrote:
To re-hydrate between motos and and things of that nature.....sure DQ him. But even if he is doing IV's right now to help him get through...
To re-hydrate between motos and and things of that nature.....sure DQ him. But even if he is doing IV's right now to help him get through food poisoning before he even gets to the stadium.....I don't really see the harm in that. RV is the type of rider which would line up no matter what.....and from a safety stand point , there are exceptions to the rule. If Stewart , Reed , Roczen or anyone else was in this exact same situation......they would act the same way.

So, to clarify, in your opinion, ANY AND EVERY rider should be allowed to take an IV prior to a race if they choose, correct?

Rider's meeting would look like an ER, with everyone there and an IV bag hanging next to them, and that's cool because it's "before" the event
Grieby54
3/22/2014 11:44am
jeffro503 wrote:
To re-hydrate between motos and and things of that nature.....sure DQ him. But even if he is doing IV's right now to help him get through...

flarider wrote:
So, to clarify, in your opinion, ANY AND EVERY rider should be allowed to take an IV prior to a race if they choose, correct? Rider's...
So, to clarify, in your opinion, ANY AND EVERY rider should be allowed to take an IV prior to a race if they choose, correct?

Rider's meeting would look like an ER, with everyone there and an IV bag hanging next to them, and that's cool because it's "before" the event
You clearly have no clue what an IV is for. You're making yourself look like a dumbass.
Uncleof2
3/22/2014 11:45am
Wow, how about I hope the guy is alright.Sad
jeffro503
3/22/2014 11:47am
jeffro503 wrote:

flarider wrote:
So, to clarify, in your opinion, ANY AND EVERY rider should be allowed to take an IV prior to a race if they choose, correct? Rider's...

Dave.....the rules state " Riders can't take IV's and so forth during competition " ........RV has not run a practice and his race day hasn't even started yet. There are NO rules which state a rider can not do IV's prior to an event.....only " During "......in saying that , there should be no DQ. The fucking guy has food poisoning and is probably hating life right now.........you don't think the rules should bend a little.....even if he was breaking them.....which he isn't.
2thefront
3/22/2014 11:48am
There are no provisionals for the main. He gets to race the heats if he doesn't qualify but he has to make the main on his own.
Hut
I don't think he should get DQed for medical treatment before he has even ran a practice session.
That said, even if he doesn't line up tonight he will a have minimum 5 point lead for title #4 going into St Louis.
kongols
Uncleof2 wrote:
The guy is alright. He had a food poisoning. It`s not like we don`t know what`s wrong with him.
Hut
3/22/2014 11:49am
Uncleof2 wrote:
Yeah no doubt, I have had food poisoning once and it was horrible..... Hope the guy is alright.
flarider
3/22/2014 11:51am
jeffro503 wrote:
Dave.....the rules state " Riders can't take IV's and so forth [i]during[/i] competition " ........RV has not run a practice and his race day hasn't even...
Dave.....the rules state " Riders can't take IV's and so forth during competition " ........RV has not run a practice and his race day hasn't even started yet. There are NO rules which state a rider can not do IV's prior to an event.....only " During "......in saying that , there should be no DQ. The fucking guy has food poisoning and is probably hating life right now.........you don't think the rules should bend a little.....even if he was breaking them.....which he isn't.
OK, so again, any rider can take IV's for hydration and electrolyte replenishment prior to hitting the track.

So, from today forward, and you're cool with this, if you go into the pits before practice, every rider can be sitting or wandering around with an IV bag plugged into their arm.

That's how you see the rule and believe the spirit of the rule to be?
Electro
3/22/2014 11:51am Edited Date/Time 3/22/2014 11:56am
Uncleof2 wrote:
Exactly, hope he doesn't get to terribly sick. I think the rule focused on the reason for the IV, not an IV in general. Meaning if you are sick enough to need an IV, then it more than likely is not safe health wise to race.
bartoner
3/22/2014 11:53am
What is the deal with riders and food poisoning? Seems like its every week someone has it. I would think with the healthy diets most these guys are on it wouldn't happen as much as it seems like it does.
flarider
Uncleof2 wrote:
I believe it goes without saying that everyone hopes he will be OK, but the discussion is also in regards to the rules and/or the application of them.
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2779th
I don't understand how so many riders get food poisoning? I've never had it in my life.
flarider
3/22/2014 11:54am
bartoner wrote:
What is the deal with riders and food poisoning? Seems like its every week someone has it. I would think with the healthy diets most these...
What is the deal with riders and food poisoning? Seems like its every week someone has it. I would think with the healthy diets most these guys are on it wouldn't happen as much as it seems like it does.
Travel thing. Unfamiliar restaurants and just part of the horrors of travel

Why I eat at only busy chain restaurants when on the road, I will not do "mom & pop" restaurants or restaurants that are not busy
flarider
3/22/2014 11:56am
Uncleof2 wrote:
Electro wrote:
Exactly, hope he doesn't get to terribly sick. I think the rule focused on the reason for the IV, not an IV in general. Meaning if...
Exactly, hope he doesn't get to terribly sick. I think the rule focused on the reason for the IV, not an IV in general. Meaning if you are sick enough to need an IV, then it more than likely is not safe health wise to race.
The rule came to be, because a rider (Doug Henry) was ill and needed fluid replacement between motos

If you're so ill you need fluid replacement by IV, it seems to reason you're too ill to race
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
3/22/2014 12:02pm
Don't take this wrong, but if he does line up for the race I hope he shits his pants on the line and flounders around in last place. It's the only way to tighten up the points .
bartoner
3/22/2014 12:02pm
bartoner wrote:
What is the deal with riders and food poisoning? Seems like its every week someone has it. I would think with the healthy diets most these...
I travel alot for work, have been to 38 states, have ate at some real shitholes, and I have never gotten it, nor have any of my coworkers (knock on wood). I know everyones body is different, but it just seems way too common in mx?

Do you think maybe thier system is so used to what they eat at home, that any thing different throws them off? That being said, I would think guys like RV have access to the same foods he eats at home, while on the road.

Post a reply to: RV + IV = No race right ?

The Latest