RMZ suspension set up

pacetruckdrvr
Edited Date/Time 4/14/2015 8:45am
I already posted in race shop but no help so far so I thought I would try here.
I just switched from a RM 250 to a 2009 RMZ 450 and so far I am really impressed, I am not finding any negatives other than it is harder to start, but finding lots of pluses. I am looking for a bit of suspension set up tips as I am a novice at suspension settings, in the past I have just run my bikes the way they are and gotten used to it, but now riding this bike I realize it is better than what I have had in the past and would like to fine tune it a bit. I find the forks a bit harsh and the rear a bit harsh on braking bumps and acceleration bumps out of ruts. I understand the concept of compression and rebound but any tips would be helpful. Someone told me once that if you change one a couple clicks you need to do the same with the other?? Then I have also been told that's not the case?
Anyhow thanks in advance.
|
Cygnus
4/14/2015 6:10am
Best thing to do is get a note pad and start with the stock settings. Then as you change the clickers write down what you noticed was better or worse and the go a click or two at a time till you find the perfect settings for you. If you get lost you can always go back to the stock settings and start over.
oldrider
4/14/2015 6:13am
Hello, I did the same 2 months ago, sold the rmz250 2015 and purchased the rmz450 2015; I like it much better. I'm vet, 185lbs, mostly riding on hardpack and the best setting I have for this kind of terrain my riding style and my weight is:

pressure top: 170-5
pressure bottom: 180

Reb 20
Comp 15

Reb 16
Comp 17

hillbilly
4/14/2015 7:27am
I already posted in race shop but no help so far so I thought I would try here. I just switched from a RM 250 to...
I just switched from a RM 250 to a 2009 RMZ 450 and so far I am really impressed, I am not finding any negatives other than it is harder to start, but finding lots of pluses. I am looking for a bit of suspension set up tips as I am a novice at suspension settings, in the past I have just run my bikes the way they are and gotten used to it, but now riding this bike I realize it is better than what I have had in the past and would like to fine tune it a bit. I find the forks a bit harsh and the rear a bit harsh on braking bumps and acceleration bumps out of ruts. I understand the concept of compression and rebound but any tips would be helpful. Someone told me once that if you change one a couple clicks you need to do the same with the other?? Then I have also been told that's not the case?
You can adjust each end separate,no problem.

To get rid of harshness the oil need to flow easier,quicker.

I like to find a section ,ride it several times then make a large change and ride it several more times and make sure i feel the change.

In your case you want to open the compression on the fork.

Shocks can bleed oil both directions thru the rebound screw. Not sure about that bike.

I would note where you are now and open both rebound and compression,but at separate times.

Find that section with choppy exit and try to drive over it consistently till you know the feel,then open the rebound a turn or 2 and hit it again,several times.

The rebound is very common the culprit to harsh choppy ride.

You definitely want to make sure your sag is correct and spring is the correct rate which setting the sag tells you.

I take a screwdriver,stick it in the ground beside the track and spend hours adjusting and riding till I know what each setting feels like and how far i can go. Once you get it down then tracks become a frequency setting.

Sand tracks have long frequency whoops and dry clay tracks short frequency chop,thats how i looked at it anyways.

ML512
Fantasy
45th
4/14/2015 7:39am
I already posted in race shop but no help so far so I thought I would try here. I just switched from a RM 250 to...
What's your current weight? The RM-Zs are over-sprung out of the box right now and have light valving.

The Shop

oldrider
4/14/2015 7:42am
the fork of the 450 2015 has no springs , air only.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
4/14/2015 7:47am
oldrider wrote:
I thought I remember reading in another thread he purchased a 14. Pacetruck, which year did you buy?
ML512
Fantasy
45th
4/14/2015 7:48am
oldrider wrote:
Nvm, I just checked the other thread. He's actually on an 09.
pacetruckdrvr
4/14/2015 7:50am
Sorry guys, I forgot to put in that it's a 2009, I wish it were a 2015 but the closest I will get to owning one is in 2020 probably, can't wait. Haha.

I'm 155 lbs w/o gear, and mainly ride a hard pack track.
oldrider
4/14/2015 8:45am
Ohhh, sorry then; don't know anything about it..

Post a reply to: RMZ suspension set up

The Latest