RMZ 450: '12 or '13?

wydopen
Edited Date/Time 6/5/2013 9:17am
so im thinking about getting a new RMZ...

found 2012 for 6k$ and 2013 for 7k$

ive heard some people arnt digging the SSF on the '13...is the motor any better than the '12??

anybody whos had both? which one did you prefer?

and also is 7k for a 13 a good deal or are they going for cheaper elsewhere?? (not CA) keep in mind i would be financing the majority of it (i know its stupid)
|
slipdog
6/4/2013 2:04pm
Save yourself some money and get an '06!

I read on Vital they haven't changed since RC retired...
wydopen
6/4/2013 2:10pm Edited Date/Time 6/4/2013 2:17pm
slipdog wrote:

haha

thats what im riding right now..

honestly my buddy has an 08 and they feel very similar..

looking for something with a little more compliant chassis, fuel injection and 5speed

then i can set my old one up for offroad and ditch that turd kx 250 collecting dust in my garage
jeffro503
6/4/2013 2:47pm
Maybe "close" to the same chassis , but I doubt that. The biggest improvement on the later year bikes is going to be the suspension. In or around about 10' , 11' and 12.....most all the Jap bikes made huge improvements in the suspension.

No matter how much money I slap into my 08' Honda suspension , it would never come close to what my stock 10' Yamaha YZF450 had. Same goes with the 11' and newer RMZ's and the 11, 12 and 13 kaws. There is a big difference on valving , shim stacking and other internals

RMZ owners : how is the durability of the tranny and the overall bike of the newer 11' ,12' and 13 RMZ450's? I know some of the early models had some tranny issues.......just wondering if they smoothed some things out?

The Shop

wydopen
6/4/2013 3:02pm
just to be clear..

my question is whether to get a 2012 or 2013
SammyD
6/4/2013 4:27pm
I have a 2012 RMZ450 with 60 hours. Vet novice/ intermediate, track riding only.

I'm on the original clutch, no tranny problems it just doesn't shift all that great.

The big difference between the '12 and '13 was the forks. The concensus seems to be that the forks on the '12 are a lot better than on the '13. If you are trying to get away without doing suspension work then get the '12. If you are planning on a full revalve then you can get the '13 but I 'm not sure that the aftermarket companies have figured them out yet to be honest.

If I could buy a '12 or '13 for the same price I'd buy the '12.
mikey262
6/4/2013 4:45pm
IMO the 12 is a better bike, the 13 is different it is lower in the rear but just does feel right,its just not me but other riders say the same thing. As far as suspension goes I prefer the 12 over the 13 the SSF valving is very stiff. I only say this because I have first hand knowledge. ( good revalve will help of course) The motor is better on the 13 but the 12 is no slouch either.
So my 2 cents I would buy the 12 save the 1000 and buy an exhaust. or other improvments like a revalve
Bruce372
6/4/2013 4:50pm
once you spend $20 on an aftermarket shifter from an 2005-2007, all the shifting issues are fixed.

I am sure the SFF fork will be fine once you play with the settings- there was a thread on TT and it showed how easy the DIY revalve is!

as for money saved, you are buying an older bike so when you come to sell it, you will loose whatever youve saved.

Either way, if those are OTD prices, thats very good pricing.
Bruce372
6/4/2013 4:51pm
one other thing about the 13, they changed the front sprocket and its retained with a bolt rather than a circlip- ive had 4 RMs and all with the circlip, never seen a problem but its always bothered me, LOL!!!
jeffro503
6/4/2013 4:53pm
Great responses Sammy and Mikey. Thanks. Don't mean to hijack the thread from the original poster , but I myself will be in the market of a 12' or 13' bike sometime this summer / fall as well. The Kaw and Suzuki both are two I was looking at.
6/4/2013 6:46pm
I actually just got a new 12 rmz 450 probably about 10-12 hours on it now and it's an awesome bike. The bike turns so great and has a great motor I'm not a huge fan of the stock suspension I'll probably get a re valve done. I'm not sure about the complaints about the tranny is with these bikes mine shifts absolutely flawlessly not even one problem with a false neutral.
MX558
6/4/2013 7:19pm
I heard they fixed the tranny on the 13 that was one reason I didn't look at a zuk before . One missed shift at the wrong time and its game over .
Boxermann
6/4/2013 8:02pm
slipdog wrote:

Really? I had a 2006 and I did mostly desert riding at the time and that bike nearly killed me a few times.that thing would swap out on almost every whoop section.arm pump up the wazoo.i had the suspension revalved and put a damper on and fussed with the bike some more and it helped a little but I still hated it and never could get confidence on it.my next bike was a 2009 crf 450.i got the linkage to get rid of the stink bug and that was pretty much it.to me the 09 crf was so much better and I could rip the desert straight as an arrow on that thing.anyway its sad to hear the zooks are the same
wydopen
6/4/2013 8:03pm
my pre 07 hits false nuetral sometimes...think its operator error more than anything...id be getting a revalve if i got either bike..

my main complaint with my older rmz is it has zero overrev...it signs off so early...our track is really wide open and high speed and i ride almost the whole track in 3rd and 4th..

i rode a 13 kawi the other day...bike felt huge compared to mine..tall and the rad shrouds felt wide...i woulda thought my old school 450 would have felt like a tank compared to it...

the motor was incredible..felt electric but my suzuki has so much more front end traction...

the front wheel on the rmz feels glued to the ground..my buddies 09 is the same way...ill be riding suzuki 450s from now on..i was never a suzuki fan before i got mine..
wydopen
6/4/2013 8:06pm
slipdog wrote:

Boxermann wrote:
Really? I had a 2006 and I did mostly desert riding at the time and that bike nearly killed me a few times.that thing would swap...
Really? I had a 2006 and I did mostly desert riding at the time and that bike nearly killed me a few times.that thing would swap out on almost every whoop section.arm pump up the wazoo.i had the suspension revalved and put a damper on and fussed with the bike some more and it helped a little but I still hated it and never could get confidence on it.my next bike was a 2009 crf 450.i got the linkage to get rid of the stink bug and that was pretty much it.to me the 09 crf was so much better and I could rip the desert straight as an arrow on that thing.anyway its sad to hear the zooks are the same
#1 he was being sarcastic

#2 a suzuki is not a desert bike...you loose strait line stability for the ability to rail inside lines..there is a reason nobody races rmz's in the desert.

my 05 has no problems in the whoops and rough stuff...must have been your setup
mototrader
6/4/2013 8:21pm
if they fixed the tranny issue on the 13', go with that..if you get anything older, put aside $$ to get the transmission redone
Crush
6/4/2013 8:37pm Edited Date/Time 6/4/2013 8:38pm
My brothers 12 RMZ 450 is the best bike i've ever ridden... Easily.
Boxermann
6/4/2013 8:37pm
slipdog wrote:

Boxermann wrote:
Really? I had a 2006 and I did mostly desert riding at the time and that bike nearly killed me a few times.that thing would swap...
wydopen wrote:
#1 he was being sarcastic #2 a suzuki is not a desert bike...you loose strait line stability for the ability to rail inside lines..there is a...

#2 a suzuki is not a desert bike...you loose strait line stability for the ability to rail inside lines..there is a reason nobody races rmz's in the desert.

I understand the cornering trade off for stability.i was just stating my expierences.a lot of people ride desert and track.i just could not believe how bad it did in the desert.ive ridden every color fender there is and that bike was my least favorite.i got it setup to ride in the dez much better just never cared for it.
jeffro503
6/4/2013 8:38pm
Have you guys heard of tranny issues on the 11's and 12's? I do know a guy who had the entire bottom drop out on his 11' RMZ , but his 12' and 13' were fine. It seems like a random thing.......I'm wondering if there is a small QC problem that is not being done at the factory on some of the bikes?

Slip.....I'm with you on the front end cornering thing. I rode a bone stock 11' RMZ450 with about 2hrs on it.....it was the best cornering bike I had ever ridden.....still to this day.
Boxermann
6/4/2013 8:39pm
Boxermann wrote:
wydopen wrote:
#1 he was being sarcastic #2 a suzuki is not a desert bike...you loose strait line stability for the ability to rail inside lines..there is a...

Boxermann wrote:
I understand the cornering trade off for stability.i was just stating my expierences.a lot of people ride desert and track.i just could not believe how bad...
I understand the cornering trade off for stability.i was just stating my expierences.a lot of people ride desert and track.i just could not believe how bad it did in the desert.ive ridden every color fender there is and that bike was my least favorite.i got it setup to ride in the dez much better just never cared for it.
Also how can you tell he is being sarcastic? You know him personally?
Rotaholic
6/4/2013 11:29pm
You cant go wrong with either the 12 or the 13, both are great bikes. You can include the 11 in there if you find a new old stock one because its all but a 2012 just different graphics.

The 13 you will want to get a revalve, at the very least follow a DIY post I did on TT to not make it like it was setup for supercross.

This is my 4th RMZ450, 05, 08, 10 and 13. I have never had a single issue with any. I only ever put tires on them and change my air and oil filters often. With over 100 to 150hrs on all of them I guess I could just be lucky, but here in New Zealand Suzuki are actually one of the most popular brands and I never hear any bad luck stories on good ones.

I allways suggest you ride one first, what works for me may not work for you, but the 13 is the best dirt bike I have ever swung my leg over. Looking forward to my RG3 revalve :-)
wydopen
6/5/2013 4:26am
Boxermann wrote:
no have just been lurking here long enough to have read the thread where people were arguing that the rmz was pretty much the same bike sense 05
motox55
6/5/2013 4:33am Edited Date/Time 6/5/2013 4:36am
Most of the tranny issues were on the RMZ 250 not the 450 they both got the all new tranny for 2013.
nytsmaC
6/5/2013 4:51am
Boxermann wrote:
I know him personally. He never jokes.
6/5/2013 4:51am
get a RM250
slipdog
6/5/2013 6:44am
wydopen wrote:

Boxermann wrote:
I understand the cornering trade off for stability.i was just stating my expierences.a lot of people ride desert and track.i just could not believe how bad...
Boxermann wrote:
http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Vital-MX-Posting-Rules,483019

"If you’re new, take a while to figure out the vibe of the board. Some of us have been posting together for ten years or more. It takes a while to figure out all the private jokes, pitfalls, and characters. Even if you’ve been lurking a while, don’t assume that because you think you know a poster’s personality or history, you’re free to heckle them on something. Make your own history…and make it a good one."

Welcome to the club! Woohoo
Boxermann
6/5/2013 6:53am
I think the reality is the 5 major brands are all great just to each individual they are different.whis is great we have a choice.for me I feel right at home on a honda
slipdog
6/5/2013 6:53am
wydopen wrote:
just to be clear..

I've ridden a '13 but not a '12. Suzuki has been fairly aggressive with their valving for the past few years, but the SFF forks can be made to work comparable to the standard Showa forks. To me, like has been said, the decision would come down to saving a little money now when buying(the '12) or getting more money back when selling(the '13).
wydopen
6/5/2013 9:17am
wydopen wrote:
just to be clear..

slipdog wrote:
I've ridden a '13 but not a '12. Suzuki has been fairly aggressive with their valving for the past few years, but the SFF forks can...
I've ridden a '13 but not a '12. Suzuki has been fairly aggressive with their valving for the past few years, but the SFF forks can be made to work comparable to the standard Showa forks. To me, like has been said, the decision would come down to saving a little money now when buying(the '12) or getting more money back when selling(the '13).
think im going with the 12

they just extended the 0% APR and free pipe with purchase of 12 or 13...

ill be getting it revalved..have a local guy that does my suspension

im not the kind of rider to get a new bike every year..i would prob keep it for 5 years..my bike is 8years old right now and i dont really think its holding me back

Post a reply to: RMZ 450: '12 or '13?

The Latest