RIP Paul Eddy

Torco1
Edited Date/Time 10/6/2017 9:28am
I'm sure some of you know Paul Eddy, he's been in the industry for a long time as a racer and as a rep for Motonation (Sidi/AGV). He crashed while riding in Mexico this past weekend, the following is from someone else that posted about him........

****update**** We found out he was mapping unmapped trails when he ran into barbed wire across the trail..... This tells me it was a booby trap similar to those set up to watch Baja racers crash. I'm trying not to dwell on that because it does nothing but make me hate, and no one needs that shit right now.... moving on. When he hit the barbed wire, it appears he FOBd and the bike landed on him, breaking his back (bike or fall)... when he was found, he was paralyzed. He couldn't remove the bike from on top of himself. He was able to remove his helmet and he layed in that Mexico desert heat with a bike on him Saturday afternoon into Sunday (20 hours) with serious burns from the bike and the sun. No one was looking for him because no one knew he was out there. Some random person happened to take that same route of trails and found him there. He was awake when they found him and we believe he passed from what ever was jostled during his movement from the ground to the ambulance (i.e. blood clots, internal bleeds) that's not certain though.
|
GPrider
10/5/2017 2:34pm
oh man, hate to read this. Paul was a true dirt biker. So sad.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
10/5/2017 2:48pm
That's horrible. Condolences to his family and friends.
Motoxdoc
10/5/2017 2:58pm
What an awful why to go. Condolences to his family, friends and loved ones. When someone dies participating in our beautiful sport, I always like to think they were doing something that I would never do, therefore I can conclude, THAT would never happen to ME; you know, like they weren't wearing proper protective gear, or they were trying an obstacle that their skill level didn't warrant etc. This fits into that category. I'm not trying to be callous....I just want to learn so I don't do the same thing!

Things not to do:
1) Ride unmarked trails alone in Mexico....check

The Shop

10/5/2017 4:04pm
What a horrible story, my thoughts are with his family and friends. Godspeed, Eddy.
Xeno
10/5/2017 6:55pm
Wow, that's an unfortunate turn of events.
Rest In Peace, Baja brother!

I'm not one to pass judgement about riding alone in Baja- I do the same thing.
I do carry a DeLorme satellite tracker with a protocol in place for 3 separate parties to monitor my travel.
Rocket88
10/5/2017 8:40pm Edited Date/Time 10/5/2017 8:41pm
Paul was a good man and he will be missed by all of us here at NCY.

Rest in peace, Pablo.
10/5/2017 9:05pm
Paul was a true gentleman and someone I greatly respected as a rider. I and anyone else who's had the pleasure of riding the hundreds of single track trails throughout Northern Baja owe Paul a great deal of gratitude. He devoted much of his time and energy to cutting trails that many people have enjoyed over the years. The number of trails he had committed to memory was remarkable and made me feel wholly inadequate any time I'd get turned around after just a few miles of riding. He was a navigational master.

Paul was one of the most conscientious and conservative riders I've ever ridden with. If there was ever a person capable enough to ride alone in Baja, it was Paul. Things like this just don't happen to guys like Paul and yet, it happened and that's a really tough pill to swallow. The circumstances are just too shitty to comprehend. My sincere condolences to Paul's family and to his Baja comrades.

gpracer36
10/5/2017 9:25pm
Paul was a true gentleman and someone I greatly respected as a rider. I and anyone else who's had the pleasure of riding the hundreds of...
Paul was a true gentleman and someone I greatly respected as a rider. I and anyone else who's had the pleasure of riding the hundreds of single track trails throughout Northern Baja owe Paul a great deal of gratitude. He devoted much of his time and energy to cutting trails that many people have enjoyed over the years. The number of trails he had committed to memory was remarkable and made me feel wholly inadequate any time I'd get turned around after just a few miles of riding. He was a navigational master.

Paul was one of the most conscientious and conservative riders I've ever ridden with. If there was ever a person capable enough to ride alone in Baja, it was Paul. Things like this just don't happen to guys like Paul and yet, it happened and that's a really tough pill to swallow. The circumstances are just too shitty to comprehend. My sincere condolences to Paul's family and to his Baja comrades.

you nailed it, thank you
Johnny Depp
10/6/2017 9:27am
I didn't know him, may he rest in peace. I'm so sorry for his suffering, and his friends and family's as well. He sounds like a pillar of the off road community and the kind of person I'd like to have known.

There are other matters to attend to, but that sounds a lot like murder, at least negligent homicide. In the middle of nowhere, there can't be too many locals. Cartel territory? I don't know if justice can be had in Mexico, and that won't bring him back.
500guy
10/6/2017 10:06am
Terrible News, sincere condolences to his Family and friends.

Post a reply to: RIP Paul Eddy

The Latest