RD5

2/1/2015 12:17pm Edited Date/Time 2/1/2015 12:19pm
dcg141 wrote:
But you would imply that he is. Because that's how its coming off. We only hold RD to that standard?
I'm pretty sure that's just how you are reading it. Like it's somehow personal to you.

Being successful OR being in of the company of guys considered "fastest/greatest ever" are totally different
realms of success. That doesn't imply that he(RD5) is unsuccessful. Understood?
RangerLee
2/1/2015 12:51pm
Roczen is far from out of it, so nothing is locked down, especially not by Daytona. Still many rounds left to go, an 11 point lead can go quickly.
2/1/2015 1:15pm
Yep, statistically once a year RD fans get to jump up and down and say SEE? I TOLD YA HE WAS FAST! WHERE'S THE HATERS??

Congrats to Dungey on the win, but let's hold our collective horses. Tomac dominated round 2 and hasn't been heard from at the front since. 3 big changes (bike, Aldon, RV...4 if you count KR not around anymore) are bound to bring good things, and Dungey looks good for a run at the title (and even a couple more wins).

But let's not forget: Dungey may have the speed, but Tomac has the consistency.Sideways This things' goin till Vegas.

The Shop

uk125250
2/1/2015 1:25pm
Don't take this as a knock on RD because it surely is NOT that. I respect and admire his racing and love watching him when he...
Don't take this as a knock on RD because it surely is NOT that. I respect and admire his racing and love watching him when he is on the gas. Period.

Now, moving on...

Place gets pretty quiet when he wins because that rarely happens! Last time was almost a year ago at Indianapolis (March 1, 2014)! And then if you want his only win in 2013 you have you go to Anaheim 3 (February 2, 2013)

That's not a whole lot of wins no matter how much of a fan of his you are. Two out of a possible what... thirty four.

Also, it doesn't really matter if he calls us(forum posters) "those people", we say the same things as practically everyone around him does! He makes passes on riders he is faster than slowly. Emig, RC, DeCoster etc etc. All professional riders or managers from within the sport! It's a valid criticism and NO... you don't have to blow people off the track to pass them. We see it all the time.

On a last point, usually you measure the greatness of a champion by their own successes, not by their competitions failures. Let's see him string together some WINS consecutively. That's what would really cause some silence amongst critics!

Since 2010, his stellar rookie season, there have been a possible 8 championships(2 X 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014) to be had, Ryan has one. You can try state if this didn't happen or that didn't happen he'd have more... but every championship he didn't win the winner that year had adversity to go through as well. You can't change one single event to claim a virtual victory, it doesn't work that way.

Anywhoo... HE looks different this year to me, it's slight but you can see it. He is making passes faster, not all the time but there are glimpses. I think it was his heat race last week he strolled through a few guys no problem. His fast qualifying times are a great sign as well. If he can make those slight changes that allow him to take a championship from his competitors well... it will be amazing to watch no doubt.

Hater
jmx411
2/1/2015 1:36pm
It seems he has that fire in his eye like he had from 2009-2011. I think he doubted himself a little the last couple years. I think he knows he is the best and can win now and he is only going to get tougher to beat from here on out.
davistld01
2/1/2015 1:42pm
Someone said Dungey knows how to "manage a championship", and that nails it. He knows you can't win a title by being a win-or-die-trying kinda guy. You win by being there with the most points stacked up when the smoke clears. And you can't be there and be in the Asterisk rig too.

Ryan is a damn smart rider. And I think getting Baker as his trainer is the best thing he's ever done.
ridge
2/1/2015 2:11pm
Yep, statistically once a year RD fans get to jump up and down and say SEE? I TOLD YA HE WAS FAST! WHERE'S THE HATERS?? Congrats...
Yep, statistically once a year RD fans get to jump up and down and say SEE? I TOLD YA HE WAS FAST! WHERE'S THE HATERS??

Congrats to Dungey on the win, but let's hold our collective horses. Tomac dominated round 2 and hasn't been heard from at the front since. 3 big changes (bike, Aldon, RV...4 if you count KR not around anymore) are bound to bring good things, and Dungey looks good for a run at the title (and even a couple more wins).

But let's not forget: Dungey may have the speed, but Tomac has the consistency.Sideways This things' goin till Vegas.

Wait...are you comparing Tomac's and Dungey's consistency, or were you being sarcastic?
jhansen510
Fantasy
3600th
2/1/2015 3:46pm
Don't take this as a knock on RD because it surely is NOT that. I respect and admire his racing and love watching him when he...
Don't take this as a knock on RD because it surely is NOT that. I respect and admire his racing and love watching him when he is on the gas. Period.

Now, moving on...

Place gets pretty quiet when he wins because that rarely happens! Last time was almost a year ago at Indianapolis (March 1, 2014)! And then if you want his only win in 2013 you have you go to Anaheim 3 (February 2, 2013)

That's not a whole lot of wins no matter how much of a fan of his you are. Two out of a possible what... thirty four.

Also, it doesn't really matter if he calls us(forum posters) "those people", we say the same things as practically everyone around him does! He makes passes on riders he is faster than slowly. Emig, RC, DeCoster etc etc. All professional riders or managers from within the sport! It's a valid criticism and NO... you don't have to blow people off the track to pass them. We see it all the time.

On a last point, usually you measure the greatness of a champion by their own successes, not by their competitions failures. Let's see him string together some WINS consecutively. That's what would really cause some silence amongst critics!

Since 2010, his stellar rookie season, there have been a possible 8 championships(2 X 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014) to be had, Ryan has one. You can try state if this didn't happen or that didn't happen he'd have more... but every championship he didn't win the winner that year had adversity to go through as well. You can't change one single event to claim a virtual victory, it doesn't work that way.

Anywhoo... HE looks different this year to me, it's slight but you can see it. He is making passes faster, not all the time but there are glimpses. I think it was his heat race last week he strolled through a few guys no problem. His fast qualifying times are a great sign as well. If he can make those slight changes that allow him to take a championship from his competitors well... it will be amazing to watch no doubt.

uk125250 wrote:
Hater
What about his Minneapolis win in 13 where he caught and passed RV?

Also, like it or not Dungey lost both 11 titles because of mechanicals. Even after those mechanicals he was within a handful of points of RV. Then he was so mad at Suzuki that he decided to go to KTM where he had to develop a new bike from the ground up. All the while still being the best of the rest. RV got very lucky in 11 and he knows it. Without those issues Dunge would have 3 outdoor titles to Villos 2 and 2 sx titles to RVs 3. He is a boss and has been the biggest thorn in RVs career.
Crush
2/1/2015 3:53pm
Fuck off with the lost the titles due to mechanicals. It's as bad as well he's doing faster lap times on a 250eff so he'll smoke the big guys. Doesn't work that way.

Sure it doesn't help. But the reality is guys ride the championship series as it is presented. IF RV needs too, who's to say he doesn't turn it up all series. If Dungey doesn't have that mechanical and has a big points lead, who's to say he doesn't go conservative. Fuck, Reed would have won both those titles if James didn't run him off the track at Dallas and Millville didn't throw him off the bike. See? Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

2/1/2015 4:13pm Edited Date/Time 2/1/2015 4:14pm
jhansen510 wrote:
What about his Minneapolis win in 13 where he caught and passed RV? Also, like it or not Dungey lost both 11 titles because of mechanicals...
What about his Minneapolis win in 13 where he caught and passed RV?

Also, like it or not Dungey lost both 11 titles because of mechanicals. Even after those mechanicals he was within a handful of points of RV. Then he was so mad at Suzuki that he decided to go to KTM where he had to develop a new bike from the ground up. All the while still being the best of the rest. RV got very lucky in 11 and he knows it. Without those issues Dunge would have 3 outdoor titles to Villos 2 and 2 sx titles to RVs 3. He is a boss and has been the biggest thorn in RVs career.
My apologies. I missed the Minneapolis results in The Vault.

As far as the rest of your post, what Crush said.

RV's first 250 outdoor title, '06 I believe, was won by overcoming two 0 point moto DNF's due to mechanicals!
Once you suffer a set back you have to be able WIN!

You can write the same kind of sympathetic post for practically ALL the riders. Showing how hard
it is for each of them.
2/1/2015 4:22pm
Crush wrote:
Fuck off with the lost the titles due to mechanicals. It's as bad as well he's doing faster lap times on a 250eff so he'll smoke...
Fuck off with the lost the titles due to mechanicals. It's as bad as well he's doing faster lap times on a 250eff so he'll smoke the big guys. Doesn't work that way.

Sure it doesn't help. But the reality is guys ride the championship series as it is presented. IF RV needs too, who's to say he doesn't turn it up all series. If Dungey doesn't have that mechanical and has a big points lead, who's to say he doesn't go conservative. Fuck, Reed would have won both those titles if James didn't run him off the track at Dallas and Millville didn't throw him off the bike. See? Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

Are you saying that crashes are the same as mechanical failures? Nothing is guaranteed but it's hard to deny Dungey was robbed of those two titles.
Crush
2/1/2015 4:27pm
No they're not the same, but the end result is, and so is the result on the championship at THAT POINT IN TIME.

If it happens at the very last round, I'll give it to you, but at round 2 of the outdoors, and what midway through the SX series, there's sooo much riding left.

RC bombed himself A1 at 2002 and rode like an asshole to make it up on DV. JS same in 2009 against Reedy. Do either of them go balls out and take all the chances without needing to make a points deficit? Nope. They ride as normal.

RV lost two or 3 motos in 2005 outdoors. Rode like an asshole because he knew he had too. The riders race the series as it needs to be. Dungey had plenty of time to make it up, just like RV had plenty of time to ride conservatively...
jhansen510
Fantasy
3600th
2/1/2015 7:38pm
Crush wrote:
Fuck off with the lost the titles due to mechanicals. It's as bad as well he's doing faster lap times on a 250eff so he'll smoke...

RV could turn it up as much as he wanted to and RD still would have won both titles without the mechanicals. A broken chain cost him the sx title and running out of fuel cost him 25 points and the mx title. Not to mention the Southwick incident where he was able to go from 1 lap down to 7th. Go back and look at the year end points! I'm clearly a but biased as I grew up racing his brother and have known the family for years. The fact of the matter is those titles were both his without the mechanicals. Shit he'd still probably be on a Suzuki without them! I could care less how you feel about it. I also know his results in 12/13 could of been better if he was not developing a new bike! What Ryan has done in his career is nothing short of amazing. He is nothing but heart and determination.
mehow2g
2/1/2015 10:13pm
Dungey had something else he hasn't had for a while on the weekend his first lap I was like wow he looks so loose and wanted it badly.
fidiot
2/2/2015 4:39am
Crush wrote:

Rider error is different from the bike breaking.
fidiot
2/2/2015 4:39am Edited Date/Time 2/2/2015 4:40am
Dungey's bike looks to be much better handling this year.
IWreckALot
2/2/2015 5:57am
Did anyone watch Sunday's edition of Behind the Dream? I loved the way Dungey handled that girl that wanted his autograph. She was going CRAZY because he was around after the race. He walked up to her, gave her his gloves and took a couple of pictures and smiled through the whole thing. I thought it was a priceless and classy move on Dungey's part.
Crush
2/2/2015 6:23am
fidiot wrote:
Rider error is different from the bike breaking.
Does it award different points depending on how a dnf comes about?
jhansen510
Fantasy
3600th
2/2/2015 7:57pm
No but one of them the rider has absolutely zero control over!
2/2/2015 9:00pm
jhansen510 wrote:
No but one of them the rider has absolutely zero control over!
2011 AMA Motocross 450 Championship Points:
1. Ryan Villopoto, 341
2. Ryan Dungey, 340
3. Chad Reed, 332

At round 8 Dungey was down ONE freakin' point! He had EIGHT moto's left to take that championship!
At that point they're even, it's a reset.

And 2011 Supercross RV didn't even make a main at Jacksonville! Regardless of fault he lost points equal
to RD.

This is you're RD "titles" spiel though, so I know we won't dissuade you from posting it every chance you get.

Whatever it is Ryan D. is doing better this year I hope to see more of it... with WINS.

Crush
2/2/2015 9:12pm Edited Date/Time 2/3/2015 5:12am
I just don't care about those situations because racing history is full of incidents that greatly affect championships, it's part of what SX/MX is... Off the top of my head some incidents that happened that aren't in the record books and don't mean shit apart from the stories:

David Bailey in 83? Hannah's Leg.

Ward in 88. Johnson's wrist.

Fro in 96. MC's foot.

Fro in 97. MC's tyre.

Langston in 00. Brown's bike.

Brown in 01. Langston's wheel.

RC in 2002. DV's back.

RC in 2003. Reed's seat.

RC in 2005. Reed's brake

RV in 2007. Townley's wheel.

RV in 2011. Reed getting smashed by James

RV in 2011. Dungey's Chain.