RCS Titanium Rear Shock Spring

Edited Date/Time 9/27/2014 8:26pm
I have been after a titanium rear shock spring for my 2012 CRF450 Kayaba rear shock for some time now. I tried to get a works spring in Japan but no luck although I was lucky enough to snag some other works parts.

DSP stopped producing them and several of the big suspension shops said they don't deal with them anymore. The stock YZ titanium springs wont fit the CRF large body Kayaba shocks I understand. That leaves Renton Coil Spring as the only one out there. They have had mixed reviews in the past with regard to correct spring rates and breakage. For the large body Kayaba shock, they retrofit one of their large body Showa shock springs using spacers.

Anyone out there use a Renton titanium shock spring on their CRF Kayaba shock and happy with the results?

thanks,
mike
|
9/27/2014 3:44pm
I have one on my Yamaha and have been using them for about 10 years with great results.
rcannon
9/27/2014 3:53pm
I'm not a fast rider by any stretch. Maybe thats an advantage as it gives me a lot of time to decide how my bike reacted? I have several Yamaha ti springs and metal ones with the same rate. If there is any difference, its too small to notice, and I'd maybe say the steel one was better.

I understand the trick factory, and weight savings, but there are a thousand other things I'd buy first.

Tim507
9/27/2014 4:13pm
Pretty positive that RCS (Renton Coil Spring) made the T Spring for DSP. RCS is located in Renton WA.
I would contact t hem direct and see if they ad still available.
9/27/2014 4:45pm
rcannon wrote:
I'm not a fast rider by any stretch. Maybe thats an advantage as it gives me a lot of time to decide how my bike reacted...
I'm not a fast rider by any stretch. Maybe thats an advantage as it gives me a lot of time to decide how my bike reacted? I have several Yamaha ti springs and metal ones with the same rate. If there is any difference, its too small to notice, and I'd maybe say the steel one was better.

I understand the trick factory, and weight savings, but there are a thousand other things I'd buy first.

I am the guy that already bought the 1,000 other things! Smile I already talked directly to Renton.. but they are trying to sell a product. I was looking to hear from customers/ users first hand. I believe the quality of the Yamaha OEM spring from Japan is probably better than the RCS spring. Beyond the factory riders and stock YZs, they just aren't so popular.

The Shop

Trav138
9/27/2014 6:43pm
I just searched for an old thread that i remembered in the race shop forum, and it was you that started it haha. What happened to them (RCS) with the retooling to correct some of the issues that you spoke of in that thread a few months ago?
Suns_PSD
9/27/2014 8:26pm
When i bought Ohlins I told the distributor that i wanted to send him the apprpriate Ti shock spring for him to install. He told me they were inconsistent, felt different, and would require different valving to work well, but still not as well as the steel spring. Yet i still want one.

Post a reply to: RCS Titanium Rear Shock Spring

The Latest