RC on the future of 2 strokes

9/7/2017 2:44am
if the ktm and huskys were so much better they would dominate 2 stroke races like the world 2 stroke championship. i would think Sleeters bike...
if the ktm and huskys were so much better they would dominate 2 stroke races like the world 2 stroke championship. i would think Sleeters bike even has a lot mods and factory parts.
You mean like they dominate the EMX125 and EMX300?
Motofinne
9/7/2017 3:07am
if the ktm and huskys were so much better they would dominate 2 stroke races like the world 2 stroke championship. i would think Sleeters bike...
if the ktm and huskys were so much better they would dominate 2 stroke races like the world 2 stroke championship. i would think Sleeters bike even has a lot mods and factory parts.
Here you have the leading 125 championship in the world.

zac_k3
9/7/2017 4:12am
Bearuno wrote:
This young bloke! In an era where so many kids get hand outs of bikes from parents, and thus don't have an idea of cost -...
This young bloke!

In an era where so many kids get hand outs of bikes from parents, and thus don't have an idea of cost - so when they have to start paying for their 'toys', they then give up - we still have blokes like him that really want 'it'.

He understands the economics of it, sees he should take on more of the burden himself and not just have his hand out to Mum and Dad, does the sums, and gets / builds what he can.

Thus, we may just have a 'lifer', and we bloody well need them now.

I've done the sums a fair few times over the years as to the relative affordability of bikes and wages at different times. It, generally, comes out pretty even in real (economically speaking) terms, and, of course, the bikes are so, so much more than what they ever were. But, in my youth, the early / mid 70s, I had any amount of job opportunities, and as I aged, I still had plenty of opportunities. Far more than years / generations later.

I also had a laser like focus on my sports / interests, and didn't piss my money up against the wall like so many others I knew with expensive cars, boozing / drugs and other sorts of idiocy - just the 'idiocy' of 2 wheels...........

Have to say - I didn't consider the risks of injury stopping my income when I was his age. I got hurt (through other sports) very early on, but somehow scraped by through non earning times. I shudder now at the financial risks I took. And count myself lucky things worked out for me. This young fellow has his head screwed on right.
thanks man, this is the bike. she's came a long way!

geusswho
9/7/2017 5:41am
FI2T wrote:
Great stuff on Vital today!! KTM/Husky 2 strokes aren't much or any better then old as hell kx and cr's. The Japanese would have trouble building...
Great stuff on Vital today!!
KTM/Husky 2 strokes aren't much or any better then old as hell kx and cr's.
The Japanese would have trouble building a competitive two stroke.
The Japanese would build a two stroke that would knock off the pumpkin.
Great riders can ride a really old bike fast and still be competitive.

Page 3.... Pure Gold

tek14 wrote:
Every topic more than 2 pages should have recap..
nope, we rode it on moto, we both know how to ride unlike most people that post on here. The Kx felt so much better, we changed all the jets in the kawi so it's super crisp, the Ktm was fast mid to the top, but was flat on the bottom, super wide, I brought my yzf 450 with us and it felt as wide as that bike. Idk it's all preference, still 8k for a 250 2stroke that is not light years a head of a 2004 that I payed 2k for. Wait for it garrantee they will be 10 k in the next 3 years.

The Shop

TJMX947
9/7/2017 5:56am
zac_k3 wrote:
what people doesn't understand is whether its a brand new two stroke or four stroke the normal person can't afford the price of a new bike...
what people doesn't understand is whether its a brand new two stroke or four stroke the normal person can't afford the price of a new bike. Being 17 I'm at the age where its time for a bigger bike and unfortunately my parents can't just go and get me a new bike, I've worked at my job for two years now and could afford the payments but God forbid I was to get hurt and not be able to work to pay for it. So I busted my ass and bought a rough rm125 and turned it into a really nice bike for half of the price of even a new yz125. So imo. manufactures bringing back two strokes will just result in the same thing that happens now.
Bearuno wrote:
This young bloke! In an era where so many kids get hand outs of bikes from parents, and thus don't have an idea of cost -...
This young bloke!

In an era where so many kids get hand outs of bikes from parents, and thus don't have an idea of cost - so when they have to start paying for their 'toys', they then give up - we still have blokes like him that really want 'it'.

He understands the economics of it, sees he should take on more of the burden himself and not just have his hand out to Mum and Dad, does the sums, and gets / builds what he can.

I've done the sums a fair few times over the years as to the relative affordability of bikes and wages at different times. It, generally, comes out pretty even in real (economically speaking) terms, and, of course, the bikes are so, so much more than what they ever were. But, in my youth, the early / mid 70s, I had any amount of job opportunities, and as I aged, I still had plenty of opportunities. Far more than years / generations later.

I also had a laser like focus on my sports / interests, and didn't piss my money up against the wall like so many others I knew with expensive cars, boozing / drugs and other sorts of idiocy - just the 'idiocy' of 2 wheels...........

Have to say - I didn't consider the risks of injury stopping my income when I was his age. I got hurt (through other sports) very early on, but somehow scraped by through non earning times. I shudder now at the financial risks I took. And count myself lucky things worked out for me. This young fellow has his head screwed on right.
You remind me of myself my friend. In 2003 I was a senior in high school and bought my first bike that wasn't 10+ years old, it was a 1998 CR125. As horrible as that bike was all I cared about was getting on the track and racing every weekend. Honestly I was just proud to be part of the MX community. At that time if you rode an old bike you definitely stood out to say the least. Basically everyone I knew got a new bike every year or two and the good A/B riders got a 125 and 250 every year.

I remember that summer you could buy any color 125 you wanted for $3899 - 4299 depending on what shop you went to. I couldn't afford that then but I dreamed of coming home with a fresh YZ125 one day.
You could race that bike for a season or two, sell it for $2500 and re-up on the next one. Those were good times.

Anyhoo, make good grades - get educated...(college or a vocational school) work hard and one day you can be like me and buy whatever $10,000 bike you want to keep this dying industry alive.

H4L
9/7/2017 8:11am
Bearuno wrote:
This young bloke!

zac_k3 wrote:
thanks man, this is the bike. she's came a long way![img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/07/213572/s1200_received_10202808353728055.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/07/213573/s1200_20170811_210500.jpg[/img]

Good to see a young person join this sport that gets it. You remind me of myself when I was young & bought my 1st 2t that was a used 1984 RM125. I didn't have a dad that could provide things for me so I had to work hard at an early age & it taught me the value of things. You are wise beyond your years... Enjoy your scoot !
ATKpilot99
9/7/2017 8:38am
zac_k3 wrote:
thanks man, this is the bike. she's came a long way![img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/07/213572/s1200_received_10202808353728055.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/07/213573/s1200_20170811_210500.jpg[/img]

Nice bike , great job!
9/7/2017 9:27am
Back to 2 strokes? Doubtful, the japanese will be more interested in moving forward to electric...
ky_savage
Fantasy
490th
9/7/2017 9:41am
Suzuki are working on something I hear: An RMZ which has engine mounts designed so a two stroke engine will slot right in, no cutting, no...
Suzuki are working on something I hear:
An RMZ which has engine mounts designed so a two stroke engine will slot right in, no cutting, no welding. Just a 'kit' that'll allow you to swap it straight over.
I've been thinking about this for a long time now. If all manufacturers would do this it would be great!
alex69
9/7/2017 9:58am
I think the most of the people forget that the only reason KTM (Husky) still developing new 2t is because they are big in the enduro's, the cross can free ride with the success.
KTM brought last year a new engine, the old one was more that 9 years in production 07 till 16 but the engine before wasn't much different, and the rest of the hardware parts are universal between the different bikes.
I don't think the SX comes with fi the next few years, spoke a owner of a new sx250exc he said he didn't noticed much difference between his old carburated bike and the new fi.
It's well know the only reason the exc have fi is the euro 4 emission norm.
gt80rider
9/7/2017 12:58pm
Brent wrote:
Honda stated at one point they would NEVER re enter the two stroke engine market for USA products.

Yet another way they are showing they simply do not truly care about the American mc market.
gt80rider
9/7/2017 1:01pm
zac_k3 wrote:

Kick ass man... Hope you always keep a good head on your shoulders.
gt80rider
9/7/2017 1:04pm
Back to 2 strokes? Doubtful, the japanese will be more interested in moving forward to electric...
When they should be more interested in putting actual cash in their pockets, and right now that means affordable two smokes.
zac_k3
9/7/2017 2:14pm
Thanks for all the nice comments everyone! I'm just trying to be smart in life.
JBecker 72
9/7/2017 2:59pm
I would love to see another Japanese brand roll out new 125/250 smokers. Also would love for Yamaha to update their bikes with some more modern ergos and styling. Probably not going to happen though.
mxb2
9/7/2017 4:01pm
Brent wrote:
Honda stated at one point they would NEVER re enter the two stroke engine market for USA products.

gt80rider wrote:
Yet another way they are showing they simply do not truly care about the American mc market.
And yet the Honda haters keep buying used Honda 2 strokes. Ironic. If you are that mad, sell your Honda products, quit buying cr smokers
Pirate421
9/7/2017 5:43pm
Bearuno wrote:
This young bloke!

zac_k3 wrote:

Great job!
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
9/7/2017 5:59pm
zac_k3 wrote:
Thanks for all the nice comments everyone! I'm just trying to be smart in life.
Awesome Zac, been down your road before. Parents could not afford a big bike, so I worked and hustled to make it happen on my own. The mechanical knowledge I gained over the years making nothing into something lead to a career and the ability to buy a home and to continue riding.

I dig your little shop, enjoy the ride bud.
brocsdad
9/7/2017 6:29pm
Fearo wrote:
The Japanese had a "window" to get back into 2-strokes and be competitve, but that was in 2012 or so, when Yamaha could still hold on...
The Japanese had a "window" to get back into 2-strokes and be competitve, but that was in 2012 or so, when Yamaha could still hold on for dear life with their 2-strokes and the last years of RMs and CRs were not that old.

If there's one thing the 2017 CRF450 has shown us is that even the biggest Japanese brand's flagship model can not compete with what KTM has to offer in terms of raw specifications. So how would the Japanese brands suddenly build a competitive bike to go up against a 2018 KTM SX125/250, a platform they haven't been interested in in 10 years? All while KTM and TM have been doing just as much R&D for their 2-strokes as for their 4-strokes.
H4L wrote:
I respectfully disagree. Below is a link of a guy racing a 2T at a high level on an 02 CR250r with just a Dep pipe...
I respectfully disagree. Below is a link of a guy racing a 2T at a high level on an 02 CR250r with just a Dep pipe & suspension work. Even though the bike is 15 yrs. older it is still competitive against modern 17 KTM 2T's.

https://youtu.be/A4eNJop_KC8?t=933

Also most recently a few months back Ryan Suratt on an 03 CR250r won the MTA 2 Stroke National at Glen Helen against modern KTM's, as well.

Yes, we had a new fully modded KTM 125 and my son didn't like it as well as the YZ. A few of his friends felt the same way and switched to the YZ125. We did mod the YZ motor and it is on par with the KTM. If you look at the Loretta's results the YZ's are still competitive. They are also bullet proof. That was not our experience with the KTM.

Though don't get me wrong a redesigned YZ 125/250 would be awesome but you will probably see the release of YZ 65 and a new 85 before anything new on the big bikes.
kott0n
Fantasy
3769th
9/7/2017 8:00pm
Just roll out the old tooling, come in a little below Yamaha in price and start getting a market share again.
Rockinar
9/7/2017 11:36pm
Suzuki are working on something I hear: An RMZ which has engine mounts designed so a two stroke engine will slot right in, no cutting, no...
Suzuki are working on something I hear:
An RMZ which has engine mounts designed so a two stroke engine will slot right in, no cutting, no welding. Just a 'kit' that'll allow you to swap it straight over.
ky_savage wrote:
I've been thinking about this for a long time now. If all manufacturers would do this it would be great!
You can't swap engines. They are two different animals. Will never happen.
Fearo
9/8/2017 3:43am Edited Date/Time 9/8/2017 5:05am
Dragoo168 wrote:
Its funny that people think that the Japanese couldn't produce a comparable unit to the Euros just because they haven't delved into that market for a...
Its funny that people think that the Japanese couldn't produce a comparable unit to the Euros just because they haven't delved into that market for a number of years. It shows how narrow-minded the average guy is about the industry as a whole, even if you work on the US side of things. They have plenty of R&D and engineering ability to do so should they choose, and rather than over-rate the orange and white 2T, look at how long it took them to get to where they are today, and consider that their closest Japanese competitor is an antiquated design that still gives it a run for the money, If the Japanese want to revisit the 2T market for off-road racing, they will not only do so, they'll likely knock the pumpkin and it's step-sister back down the ladder in the process. The Euro bikes are the best in a market that has little to no feasible competition, and that alone doesn't necessitate a resurgence in a market that isn't even the manufacturers in question's primary objective.
You read that entire argument all wrong.

There is no doubt in my mind that any of the big 4 Japanese brand COULD produce a bike that would be competitive with the KTM, but key word here is COULD, because they won't.

And that becomes painfully apparant when you look at a bike like the 2017/18 Honda CRF450. COULD Honda build a bike that is even lighter than the KTM, more HP, better handling? I'd bet money on it, but they don't. They don't spend enough R&D money to do so, and by doing so they painfully show that motocross bikes are just a sideshow for them. So please enlighten me, if they can't build a flagship model (450) that outspecs the KTM, how on earth would they spend the necessary R&D dollars to build 2-strokes that could compete with the KTMs?
ratonmacias
9/8/2017 5:34am
Dragoo168 wrote:
Its funny that people think that the Japanese couldn't produce a comparable unit to the Euros just because they haven't delved into that market for a...
Its funny that people think that the Japanese couldn't produce a comparable unit to the Euros just because they haven't delved into that market for a number of years. It shows how narrow-minded the average guy is about the industry as a whole, even if you work on the US side of things. They have plenty of R&D and engineering ability to do so should they choose, and rather than over-rate the orange and white 2T, look at how long it took them to get to where they are today, and consider that their closest Japanese competitor is an antiquated design that still gives it a run for the money, If the Japanese want to revisit the 2T market for off-road racing, they will not only do so, they'll likely knock the pumpkin and it's step-sister back down the ladder in the process. The Euro bikes are the best in a market that has little to no feasible competition, and that alone doesn't necessitate a resurgence in a market that isn't even the manufacturers in question's primary objective.
Fearo wrote:
You read that entire argument all wrong. There is no doubt in my mind that any of the big 4 Japanese brand COULD produce a bike...

There is no doubt in my mind that any of the big 4 Japanese brand COULD produce a bike that would be competitive with the KTM, but key word here is COULD, because they won't.

And that becomes painfully apparant when you look at a bike like the 2017/18 Honda CRF450. COULD Honda build a bike that is even lighter than the KTM, more HP, better handling? I'd bet money on it, but they don't. They don't spend enough R&D money to do so, and by doing so they painfully show that motocross bikes are just a sideshow for them. So please enlighten me, if they can't build a flagship model (450) that outspecs the KTM, how on earth would they spend the necessary R&D dollars to build 2-strokes that could compete with the KTMs?
Honda has all the parts to build a better 250 MX bike than KTM laying on a Warehouse collecting dust. Just build a gen 3 frame with a 2000 to 2001 engine with a Keihin carb and the latest showa components.
Motofinne
9/8/2017 5:39am
Dragoo168 wrote:
Fearo wrote:
You read that entire argument all wrong. There is no doubt in my mind that any of the big 4 Japanese brand COULD produce a bike...

Honda has all the parts to build a better 250 MX bike than KTM laying on a Warehouse collecting dust. Just build a gen 3 frame...
Honda has all the parts to build a better 250 MX bike than KTM laying on a Warehouse collecting dust. Just build a gen 3 frame with a 2000 to 2001 engine with a Keihin carb and the latest showa components.
You live in an imaginary world if you think Honda or any of these huge manufacturers would do anything like that.

Do you know how expensive that would be?
JWACK
9/8/2017 5:49am
Dragoo168 wrote:
Fearo wrote:

Honda has all the parts to build a better 250 MX bike than KTM laying on a Warehouse collecting dust. Just build a gen 3 frame...

You must be meaning this bike! Yes it's good. Very good. Gen 3. Built 00 engine with keihin and Showa kit suspension.
Just might be my favorite bike ever.

Fearo
9/8/2017 6:09am
Dragoo168 wrote:
Fearo wrote:

I hate it when people write the following comment, but I've never found a more fitting moment to write it, so here goes:

lol.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
9/8/2017 6:51am
Fearo wrote:

Fearo wrote:
I hate it when people write the following comment, but I've never found a more fitting moment to write it, so here goes:

lol.
Ya, I hope people realize that in their alternate universe world that KTM could do the same thing and just put out a 250sx with Conevalve forks, Trax shock and a fully tuned motor.

Post a reply to: RC on the future of 2 strokes

The Latest