RC / MX crossover

mx836
Edited Date/Time 7/28/2015 6:01am
I'm sure this has been discussed some time ago, but I'm curious how many here are into racing RC cars as well as moto? I know of a couple, but would be curious to know what classes and cars you guys race as well as what your local track is. Or just some stories about your RC history would be interesting as well. Pictures always help!
|
Gringoe
7/26/2015 5:55pm
I loved it but it was almost as big of a money pit as racing
KTMShane699
7/26/2015 5:57pm
I have a car and a truck that I got after I got hurt to help pass the time. I used to be really into it. It's been fun and helpful for passing time but I don't think you'll see me racing them. Maybe go to a track mid week and rip around, but that's about it.

Shane
mx836
7/26/2015 6:03pm
I have a car and a truck that I got after I got hurt to help pass the time. I used to be really into it...
I have a car and a truck that I got after I got hurt to help pass the time. I used to be really into it. It's been fun and helpful for passing time but I don't think you'll see me racing them. Maybe go to a track mid week and rip around, but that's about it.

Shane
That's about the extent of it for me also right now Shane. I have a room full of RC stuff, but lack of buddies that are still into it prevents me from using the stuff as much as I'd like. What kind of RC are you into? What are your rigs?
rmzrider91
7/26/2015 6:08pm
I got into it after getting hurt. Went at it pretty hard for a whole summer. Ended up with a losi 4x4 scte. Racing offroad. Really fun and I feel having a moto background really helps out. But as said above its a huge money pit especially to hang with the top guys.

The Shop

langhammx
Fantasy
581st
7/26/2015 6:09pm
Gringoe wrote:
I loved it but it was almost as big of a money pit as racing
That's the truth. I was racing 2-wheel and 4-wheel trucks, along with 2-wheel buggy class. With the extra parts, lipo batteries and chargers and tires, I had an easy $4-5K into my stuff. I too got into it when I was hurt, but it got addicting really quick. I got my son into it and within 2 years, he was racing the Expert classes and beating sponsored drivers at som of the Nationals. We have a good friend who has been making 6 figures for 15 years racing RC cars/ trucks. He's one of maybe 5 guys mak t that kind of money, but he has travelled the world, on Kyoshos dime.

I've seen Villopoto, Malcolm Stewart, Jake Canada, Casey Lytle and many more at our local tracks. I think the 2-wheel buggy class takes the most talent to drive well, but they are all fun.
rmzrider91
7/26/2015 6:09pm
Have a 2wd traxxas as-well. Around here we had/have a "stock" class and its for 2wd traxxas slashes. To me that's the most fun class to run.
mx836
7/26/2015 6:14pm
langhammx wrote:
That's the truth. I was racing 2-wheel and 4-wheel trucks, along with 2-wheel buggy class. With the extra parts, lipo batteries and chargers and tires, I...
That's the truth. I was racing 2-wheel and 4-wheel trucks, along with 2-wheel buggy class. With the extra parts, lipo batteries and chargers and tires, I had an easy $4-5K into my stuff. I too got into it when I was hurt, but it got addicting really quick. I got my son into it and within 2 years, he was racing the Expert classes and beating sponsored drivers at som of the Nationals. We have a good friend who has been making 6 figures for 15 years racing RC cars/ trucks. He's one of maybe 5 guys mak t that kind of money, but he has travelled the world, on Kyoshos dime.

I've seen Villopoto, Malcolm Stewart, Jake Canada, Casey Lytle and many more at our local tracks. I think the 2-wheel buggy class takes the most talent to drive well, but they are all fun.
It certainly is addicting!! I try to keep it fun and don't blow a ton of money all at once. A guy has to have hobbies though. Laughing Who is your friend that is a Kyosho driver? An old buddy of mine has been a driver and employee for Losi, Kyosho, Associated, and now owns and operates Liverc.com broadcasting all the big races on the web. He still lives only a couple of miles from me. I really get into watching all the big races I can catch on the web. Once you know all the guys, it's not much different than watching moto. It's absolutely amazing what they can do with the little cars!
7/26/2015 6:15pm
2WD mod short course truck, 4WD mod short course, and 2WD stock buggy. Sometimes mid-pack racer when I get the time but they've been pretty parked while the weather is good.
mx836
7/26/2015 6:16pm
rmzrider91 wrote:
I got into it after getting hurt. Went at it pretty hard for a whole summer. Ended up with a losi 4x4 scte. Racing offroad. Really...
I got into it after getting hurt. Went at it pretty hard for a whole summer. Ended up with a losi 4x4 scte. Racing offroad. Really fun and I feel having a moto background really helps out. But as said above its a huge money pit especially to hang with the top guys.
A moto background certainly helps a ton. A long time MX competitor that was recently paralyzed at the Milwaukee Arenacross in '13 just got into it a couple years ago and is already killing it from what I've heard. Very cool that it's another opportunity for injured motocross racers to at least fill some of the void.
mx836
7/26/2015 6:17pm
2WD mod short course truck, 4WD mod short course, and 2WD stock buggy. Sometimes mid-pack racer when I get the time but they've been pretty parked...
2WD mod short course truck, 4WD mod short course, and 2WD stock buggy. Sometimes mid-pack racer when I get the time but they've been pretty parked while the weather is good.
I hear ya! I only mess with them indoor off road in the winter, unless I'm laid up from another MX injury.
blusmbl
7/26/2015 6:17pm
One of my friends ran SCCA pro rally for several years with a TAD Motorsports prepped Evo IV (close enough to moto!), then cashed out of everything. He slowly worked his way back to racing through r/c cars. He is sponsored by Mugen now and typically does the midwest nitro series.
mx836
7/26/2015 6:38pm
blusmbl wrote:
One of my friends ran SCCA pro rally for several years with a TAD Motorsports prepped Evo IV (close enough to moto!), then cashed out of...
One of my friends ran SCCA pro rally for several years with a TAD Motorsports prepped Evo IV (close enough to moto!), then cashed out of everything. He slowly worked his way back to racing through r/c cars. He is sponsored by Mugen now and typically does the midwest nitro series.
I suppose Rally would be a good crossover also. That's one cool thing about RC. I have buddies that are into drift cars so I can throw some drift tires on my on road car and go have a blast with him. Some of the guys at one of my customers are into the whole monster truck thing and now crawlers, so we always have fun talking about RC. The regional safety manager for my company is into huge scale RC planes so we can relate in that way as well. There's just so many different ways to have fun with RC these days.
ocscottie
7/26/2015 6:40pm Edited Date/Time 7/26/2015 6:41pm
mx836 wrote:
I suppose Rally would be a good crossover also. That's one cool thing about RC. I have buddies that are into drift cars so I can...
I suppose Rally would be a good crossover also. That's one cool thing about RC. I have buddies that are into drift cars so I can throw some drift tires on my on road car and go have a blast with him. Some of the guys at one of my customers are into the whole monster truck thing and now crawlers, so we always have fun talking about RC. The regional safety manager for my company is into huge scale RC planes so we can relate in that way as well. There's just so many different ways to have fun with RC these days.
Isnt it Seely that is big into drifting? (real car drifting lol)
mx836
7/26/2015 6:42pm
ocscottie wrote:
Isnt it Seely that is big into drifting? (real car drifting lol)
Haha, yes he is. That's what I meant when talking about my friends. They're into the real thing, but have the toy version as well.
ocscottie
7/26/2015 7:00pm
I coudlnt remember if it was him or not, i jsut recall seeing vids of a TLD guy drifting.

After i got hurt, wayyy back in '85 one of the first things i got when i was out of the hospital was an RC car, got way into them. Then didnt touch them for like 25 years. They are so freakin incredible nowadays! Few years back now i got just a pair RC18T's for my little bro and i to rip around the yard from a guy way into racing, so they were totally dialed in. The technology is so mind blowing, from brushless motors to the electronics compared to way back when.

Remember manual speed controls run by servos? HAHAHAHA

I love watching the vids and have a friend big into racing them, the triples and shit they hit is truly incredible.

Technology is awesome!
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
7/26/2015 7:12pm
mx836 wrote:
It certainly is addicting!! I try to keep it fun and don't blow a ton of money all at once. A guy has to have hobbies...
It certainly is addicting!! I try to keep it fun and don't blow a ton of money all at once. A guy has to have hobbies though. Laughing Who is your friend that is a Kyosho driver? An old buddy of mine has been a driver and employee for Losi, Kyosho, Associated, and now owns and operates Liverc.com broadcasting all the big races on the web. He still lives only a couple of miles from me. I really get into watching all the big races I can catch on the web. Once you know all the guys, it's not much different than watching moto. It's absolutely amazing what they can do with the little cars!
Jared Tebo
mx836
7/26/2015 7:13pm
ocscottie wrote:
I coudlnt remember if it was him or not, i jsut recall seeing vids of a TLD guy drifting. After i got hurt, wayyy back in...
I coudlnt remember if it was him or not, i jsut recall seeing vids of a TLD guy drifting.

After i got hurt, wayyy back in '85 one of the first things i got when i was out of the hospital was an RC car, got way into them. Then didnt touch them for like 25 years. They are so freakin incredible nowadays! Few years back now i got just a pair RC18T's for my little bro and i to rip around the yard from a guy way into racing, so they were totally dialed in. The technology is so mind blowing, from brushless motors to the electronics compared to way back when.

Remember manual speed controls run by servos? HAHAHAHA

I love watching the vids and have a friend big into racing them, the triples and shit they hit is truly incredible.

Technology is awesome!
Hahaha yeah, I remember manual speed controls. The technology is amazing and made the hobby a lot less labor intensive as well! The days of brushed motors and Nimh batteries seem like a nightmare looking back on it. I used to struggle to finish a 5 min main when I was a kid with crappy equipment. LiPo batteries have been an awesome improvement. I can run my 2wd mod buggy long enough that I'm bored before the battery dies.
KTMShane699
7/26/2015 8:02pm
I have a Losi 22T 2.0 truck and a 22-4 4WD buggy. Nothing to fancy. Just needed something to do while injured. Finishing up the 22-4 now actually. Rehab has been sucking the life out of me! Can't wait to go back to work.

Shane
mx836
7/26/2015 8:17pm Edited Date/Time 7/26/2015 8:19pm
I have a Losi 22T 2.0 truck and a 22-4 4WD buggy. Nothing to fancy. Just needed something to do while injured. Finishing up the 22-4...
I have a Losi 22T 2.0 truck and a 22-4 4WD buggy. Nothing to fancy. Just needed something to do while injured. Finishing up the 22-4 now actually. Rehab has been sucking the life out of me! Can't wait to go back to work.

Shane
Did you build the 22t in rear motor? I have a Pro-Line Bulldog body new in package that I bought for a 4wd stadium truck project I was building last fall when I was laid up after ankle surgery. Ended up not using it. It's for rear motor set up. You're welcome to it for free if you'd like.

Have fun with the 22-4! 4wd buggy is my favorite! Still rocking my trusty TRF 502x modded to the hills.
mx836
7/26/2015 8:21pm
langhammx wrote:
Jared Tebo
I kind of figured as much. A RC legend and classy guy to boot.
early
Fantasy
2231st
7/26/2015 8:25pm
I race 2wd buggy and 2wd short course (Associateds) and 4wd short course and 4wd 1/8 E-buggy (Teknos). Ill usually race 2 or 3 classes depending on which cars are operating well at the time and what the turnout is like for the classes.

Just got into rc flight and flying FPV mini quads and that is really something else, its so cool to have a pair of google on and see what the quad is seeing and be totally immersed in it.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
7/26/2015 8:37pm
langhammx wrote:
Jared Tebo
mx836 wrote:
I kind of figured as much. A RC legend and classy guy to boot.
Great kid. He was a damn good MX racer too. He grew up racing dirt bikes for fun, but he screwed himself one year when he couldn't fly overseas to race, because of a recent injury with a cast. I'd never thought of or heard of that, but I guess the altitude causes swelling or something ?? Needless to say, that didn't go over well with his RC sponsors. Woohoo

He's done well for himself. Moved out of California, bought a home, got married and had a kid. I just saw him last weekend at the HotRod nationals here in town. It's a once a year race that brings racers from all over the country/world. Pretty cool to see that many great drivers in one place. A 12 year old local kid beat Jared in the qualifier race, straight up. I didn't stay for the mains, but I think Jared won at least one class.
mx836
7/26/2015 8:45pm
early wrote:
I race 2wd buggy and 2wd short course (Associateds) and 4wd short course and 4wd 1/8 E-buggy (Teknos). Ill usually race 2 or 3 classes depending...
I race 2wd buggy and 2wd short course (Associateds) and 4wd short course and 4wd 1/8 E-buggy (Teknos). Ill usually race 2 or 3 classes depending on which cars are operating well at the time and what the turnout is like for the classes.

Just got into rc flight and flying FPV mini quads and that is really something else, its so cool to have a pair of google on and see what the quad is seeing and be totally immersed in it.
Never heard of the FPV mini quads with goggles. I will have to check that out. One of my more recent RC purchases is a B5m. Love that thing right out of the box. Feel bad putting my 2wd TRF buggy aside, but I can't keep up with the pricing anymore. They're getting out of hand. Maybe if I sold some of my old stuff. I have 15 buggys and trucks laying around the house. Probably only use 6 of them. And 2 planes that hardly get used also. Sad
mx836
7/26/2015 8:51pm
langhammx wrote:
Great kid. He was a damn good MX racer too. He grew up racing dirt bikes for fun, but he screwed himself one year when he...
Great kid. He was a damn good MX racer too. He grew up racing dirt bikes for fun, but he screwed himself one year when he couldn't fly overseas to race, because of a recent injury with a cast. I'd never thought of or heard of that, but I guess the altitude causes swelling or something ?? Needless to say, that didn't go over well with his RC sponsors. Woohoo

He's done well for himself. Moved out of California, bought a home, got married and had a kid. I just saw him last weekend at the HotRod nationals here in town. It's a once a year race that brings racers from all over the country/world. Pretty cool to see that many great drivers in one place. A 12 year old local kid beat Jared in the qualifier race, straight up. I didn't stay for the mains, but I think Jared won at least one class.
I remember him talking about mx somewhere wether it was a mag or online. I can imagine the sponsors wouldn't be to fond of that! Johnny and CJ Greaves are from my neck of the woods and I know they have to be careful when it comes to that also. Both still very good at MX. I was just watching all the A mains from this years Cactus Classic yesterday and pulling for Tebo in a couple of the mains. Between him, Cavalieri, and Maifield, those guys pretty much dominated for a long time!
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
7/26/2015 9:13pm
I'm into RC buggies. I've got a track out at my parents ranch in the middle of our moto track. This is an old photo of it below which doesn't do it justice at all. It is an awesome track, especially when we get it prepped 100%.

We run 1/8 scale Losi 8ight-e buggies with both 11.1v (our 250 class) and 14.8v (our 450 class). Our track has got a huge step down that only the 450s can make with a perfect run but it is hard to make the next corner. We've got an in field triple that is hard to make with the 250s, a whoop section, a double-triple rhythm section right after the whoops that is hard to triple out with the 250 unless you time it perfect, a hammerhead corner (RIP Top Gear) and a huge sky shot double right before a real fast sweeper. We've fine tuned it over the last 3 years and it is really good now. The only bad part is that the track is brutal on the cars so we have to spend quite a bit of time working on the cars.

Unfortunately it is usually just me, my brother-in-law and my old man racing each other so we start making some funky rules to keep it interesting. Sometimes we'll have some other friends out racing though. I use to go to some of the local RC tracks but I never liked the tracks that much as they were mainly built for 1/10 scale cars.

Feint
7/26/2015 10:31pm
I race an Team Associated RC10B5 in 17.5 2wd buggy. The guys at my local track are really fast for this part of the country. I've been thinking of moving up to mod buggy now that I've started winning in 17.5. I actually comfortably won mod with my 17.5 the last time I raced because we had a low turnout so the main got combined. I'm thinking about getting a T5M to run that for the JConcepts Fall Indoor Nationals.
Feint
7/26/2015 10:44pm
It's the number of turns of wire in the motor with a lower number being faster. 17.5 is the "stock" class, which at a high level gets stupidly expensive because everyone is trying to cut weight(especially in the drivetrain). The guys running 2wd mod at my track are using 7.5s or 8.5s and 4wd mod I've seen 5.5s.
gt80rider
7/27/2015 7:30am

I've raced since the 80s, everything from 1/12th pan to 1/8th nitro off-road. Now days I am more into the bash/scale/trail scene.

Post a reply to: RC / MX crossover

The Latest