R.E.M. race question

groggylbc
Edited Date/Time 3/28/2015 7:33am
hey there, what time do the REM races at glen helen usually end? thinking about racing this sat. thanks
|
Motodave15
3/18/2015 4:45pm
groggylbc wrote:
hey there, what time do the REM races at glen helen usually end? thinking about racing this sat. thanks
Man dude, i swear the people who race R.E.M every weekend are tight lipped. I've always wondering a bunch about the track. signups etc.

I get skeptical of the idea of racing a track, i cant practice on at all lol
BAMX
3/18/2015 4:55pm
groggylbc wrote:
Motodave15 wrote:
Man dude, i swear the people who race R.E.M every weekend are tight lipped. I've always wondering a bunch about the track. signups etc. I get...
Man dude, i swear the people who race R.E.M every weekend are tight lipped. I've always wondering a bunch about the track. signups etc.

I get skeptical of the idea of racing a track, i cant practice on at all lol
They have practice in the mornings. You get 2 shots at it. The first practice is open but is usually a bit muddy. The second would be whatever group they put you in. Since there are no do or die jumps, it shouldn't be an issue.

To answer the original question, I haven't been there in a while but, from past experience I would say that you can be done as early a 1 and usually no later than 2:30-3
moscrop940
3/18/2015 6:07pm
You will be loaded up and on the freeway by 3 at the latest ( god willing no one goes down hard enough the race gets stopped ).

That's exactly why I love racing REM so much. I am back on the couch with my wife by dinner time and we have sunday to do whatever...As much as I love racing I hate getting home at 9:30 PM on a sunday night, still haven't unloaded, and have to be out the door at 5 AM for work the next day

The Shop

mx21
3/18/2015 6:50pm
The only problem with racing REM is you wont enjoy racing with any other group again Wink

Great competition, safe but challenging track that changes weekly, 15/20 min motos, done by 1-3pm.

holeshot413
Fantasy
1687th
3/18/2015 7:14pm
mx21 wrote:
The only problem with racing REM is you wont enjoy racing with any other group again ;) Great competition, safe but challenging track that changes weekly...
The only problem with racing REM is you wont enjoy racing with any other group again Wink

Great competition, safe but challenging track that changes weekly, 15/20 min motos, done by 1-3pm.

What MX 21 said. Basically you can do 2 15-20 minute practice sessions. Then 2 15 minute motos. Try doing that with any CMC,NMA blah blah club
Jeff alessi
3/18/2015 9:43pm
It's good for real racers if your in the pro/intermediate classes. From my experience it has always been a race you want to be ready for cause good guys will show up and be there to see where they are pre MX season. When I would race pro class it would usually be 5-7 good pros and then 1-2 josh grant/metcalf level riders sometimes even the really high level guys would show. When I was a b rider there would be atleast 5 guys that were fast glen helen guys that really pushed you and it was good training. Like some have said it doesn't have crazy jumps most of the time, I do remember the jump coming out of the back section that was meant to scrub could be gnarly cause there were days u could square up and huck it to the drop off but this was a long time ago n I doubt anyone remembers it. It was before the turn before u go up the big hill after u come out of the back behind the hill so I'm not sure if it's there still. 95% of the time it didn't have anything like that and the track really tested you in your skill to get through brutally rough high speed chop and scrubbing over the fun hills. It's one of those tracks u have to mix your natural talent and physical strength to get around clean every lap cause there's off camber and really a bit of everything else that's chalkenging. In practice u don't really get a sense of what u really race on later because that track continues to develop into a mean track. My advice would be learn the layout in practice but in your race ride your outsides to insides so u carry momentum cause if u don't u won't flow and it can be a tough day, u have to be patient and pick your lines to keep momentum everywhere in the races cause throttle control can really be the key to having a successful day. If u try to ride in the races like u do in practice your going to end up on your head hitting the wrong square edge. It is a great place to learn how to mix the right form and technique with speed if u can find the flow.
Radical
Fantasy
2384th
3/18/2015 11:45pm
It's good for real racers if your in the pro/intermediate classes. From my experience it has always been a race you want to be ready for...
It's good for real racers if your in the pro/intermediate classes. From my experience it has always been a race you want to be ready for cause good guys will show up and be there to see where they are pre MX season. When I would race pro class it would usually be 5-7 good pros and then 1-2 josh grant/metcalf level riders sometimes even the really high level guys would show. When I was a b rider there would be atleast 5 guys that were fast glen helen guys that really pushed you and it was good training. Like some have said it doesn't have crazy jumps most of the time, I do remember the jump coming out of the back section that was meant to scrub could be gnarly cause there were days u could square up and huck it to the drop off but this was a long time ago n I doubt anyone remembers it. It was before the turn before u go up the big hill after u come out of the back behind the hill so I'm not sure if it's there still. 95% of the time it didn't have anything like that and the track really tested you in your skill to get through brutally rough high speed chop and scrubbing over the fun hills. It's one of those tracks u have to mix your natural talent and physical strength to get around clean every lap cause there's off camber and really a bit of everything else that's chalkenging. In practice u don't really get a sense of what u really race on later because that track continues to develop into a mean track. My advice would be learn the layout in practice but in your race ride your outsides to insides so u carry momentum cause if u don't u won't flow and it can be a tough day, u have to be patient and pick your lines to keep momentum everywhere in the races cause throttle control can really be the key to having a successful day. If u try to ride in the races like u do in practice your going to end up on your head hitting the wrong square edge. It is a great place to learn how to mix the right form and technique with speed if u can find the flow.
Thanks Jeff!
I'll check it out one of these days!
greymachine
3/28/2015 7:32am Edited Date/Time 3/28/2015 7:52am
What classes does REM run? I can't find a list on their site.

EDIT: Nevermind, just found it on the race results page. Duh...
yzrider53
3/28/2015 7:33am Edited Date/Time 3/28/2015 7:33am
One other thing you should know about. If there's open practice on the main track that day, they'll hit you up for $25 (gate fee) at the front gate regardless, rem member it's $15 (must have your rem card). If there's a race on the main then it's $10. This is all before race entry fee's. Plan accordingly..Once you figure out the dirt (rocks) and the concrete start, you'll be hooked.

Post a reply to: R.E.M. race question

The Latest