Questions for knee injury sufferers/knee brace users

Edited Date/Time 12/4/2016 2:10am
Hi guys

No, I am not looking for a diagnosis or medical advice. I already have both of those. The thing is, none of the latter has actually worked, and after resuming riding I get intense pain. The therapy works great as long as I don't ride.....

Anyway, I ride with knee *guards*, not braces. I've always just felt weird about locking my knees in. But I think it's time to change. I am considering the Mobius braces.

1. Do braces like the Mobius keep your kneecap "planted" - ie no side to side movement?

2. Do the braces give the weak joint stability, or just prevent a mega-catastrophe in the case of a leg torque incident?

3. Particularly for Aussies, did your health insurer chip in or cover the cost of the braces? If so, how did you have to go about it?

Thanks in advance, guys.

|
Daniel816
12/4/2016 2:29am
Without knowing the type of knee injury you've had I don't know how much my scenario will help but here it is.

I destroyed my ACL 11 years ago racing. I had it replaced and did all my physical therapy. At the time I only used knee/shin guards but after I picked up a set of Asterisk braces. I was a little leary putting my leg out but soon learned with the brace if I planted my foot or jammed it, it would rotate my whole leg versus just the lower portion. I'm not sure what you're getting at by knee cap planted but in the Asterisk brace and now my Alpinestar braces I don't have any side to side movement. I have had a few crashes where I see my leg sideways next to me in an awkward spot and I haven't had any injuries yet. But even after therapy and all that it still hurts almost daily, but I also work in a shop 12 hours a day. Riding sometimes makes it worse sometimes not just depends on the day. But I will say I will never ride with out braces. Hope this helps!
12/4/2016 2:38am
Daniel816 wrote:
Without knowing the type of knee injury you've had I don't know how much my scenario will help but here it is. I destroyed my ACL...
Without knowing the type of knee injury you've had I don't know how much my scenario will help but here it is.

I destroyed my ACL 11 years ago racing. I had it replaced and did all my physical therapy. At the time I only used knee/shin guards but after I picked up a set of Asterisk braces. I was a little leary putting my leg out but soon learned with the brace if I planted my foot or jammed it, it would rotate my whole leg versus just the lower portion. I'm not sure what you're getting at by knee cap planted but in the Asterisk brace and now my Alpinestar braces I don't have any side to side movement. I have had a few crashes where I see my leg sideways next to me in an awkward spot and I haven't had any injuries yet. But even after therapy and all that it still hurts almost daily, but I also work in a shop 12 hours a day. Riding sometimes makes it worse sometimes not just depends on the day. But I will say I will never ride with out braces. Hope this helps!
Thank you very much. That actually helps a lot.

I have chondromalacia patella, and I have disloacted/overextended the knee a couple of times. As a result, when I run, cycle or jump (especially if I under or over jump), the kneecap wants to pop to the outside of the leg. I also have roughly 20% stability in the left knee compared to the right.

It's gotten to the point where even though I am in super shape, my knee is holding me back and I'm constantly thinking about it. No bueno.
12/4/2016 2:40am
1) Don't think any knee brace would keep the kneecap in the same position. Do you mean the knee itself?

2) Correct fitting ones would. This is one benefit of custom braces as they will fit either side of your knee snug.

3) My health insurance costs me 2400 a year and they refunded 100 dollars for my custom knee brace...lol.

I tore my ACL is a set of Asterisks and once I got back into riding I decided to get a custom CTI. Cannot recommend Gall Brothers Medical enough.
12/4/2016 2:43am
689 wrote:
1) Don't think any knee brace would keep the kneecap in the same position. Do you mean the knee itself? 2) Correct fitting ones would. This...
1) Don't think any knee brace would keep the kneecap in the same position. Do you mean the knee itself?

2) Correct fitting ones would. This is one benefit of custom braces as they will fit either side of your knee snug.

3) My health insurance costs me 2400 a year and they refunded 100 dollars for my custom knee brace...lol.

I tore my ACL is a set of Asterisks and once I got back into riding I decided to get a custom CTI. Cannot recommend Gall Brothers Medical enough.
Thank you very much for the input.

RE: 1. See my second comment in the thread. I do need that sode to side restriction.

The Shop

12/4/2016 5:46am
Left knee:
Acl, Mcl, Pcl and meniscus 1980
Meniscus tear 2010
Right knee:
Acl 2004
Scope to clean it out (scar tissue, bakers cyst etc) 2012
Almost complete bone on bone due to osteoarthritis

Knee BRACES...when I ride without them, I get knee pain during and after...
The support they give helps immensely.
I wear Mobius, imo lighter, less cumbersome, more comfortable and they don't tear up pants/graphics (I had CTI)...
My opinion, Spinning, build up supporting muscles with the resistance training it offers, wear a knee brace for support and protection.
brimx153
12/4/2016 9:07am
tape ing is the only way to stop your knee cap from moving ,i have to do it when i am running . its ok on the bike . i much rather ride without knee braces . BUT I NEVER DO . Knee braces work great for any time you dab your foot in a turn, my knee would be like a balloon after i ride if i did nt wear knee braces
brimx153
12/4/2016 9:10am
brimx153 wrote:
tape ing is the only way to stop your knee cap from moving ,i have to do it when i am running . its ok on...
tape ing is the only way to stop your knee cap from moving ,i have to do it when i am running . its ok on the bike . i much rather ride without knee braces . BUT I NEVER DO . Knee braces work great for any time you dab your foot in a turn, my knee would be like a balloon after i ride if i did nt wear knee braces
ps , i have had 4 ACL ,PCL ,MCL, and meniscus tears , You need to do physio for life , after you hurt your knee . it takes time , but you will get there ,just stick at it man
KennyMc
12/4/2016 9:54pm
I was able to get my Ortho Dr. to write me a prescription for the CTI braces and fortunately my insurance covered "durable medical equipment"
Bearuno
12/4/2016 11:06pm Edited Date/Time 12/4/2016 11:09pm
In Moto style Knee Braces, I'm not aware of any that specifically address Patella displacement / tracking problems.

Though, the various 'condular pads' that they have sure could limit a kneecap that has a tendency to 'flip' right to the side of a joint.

Taping for Patella tracking ( I've also seen under sleaves with Patella retention / tracking features) with use of Knee Braces may be what you need to combine

I've been through all sorts of braces over 40 years of needing them. My first real braces were (utterly and mindbogglingly) megabuck Lennox Hill braces, that you could get any sort of gadgetry to deal with whatever problem you had. And, you can probably get them still, to deal with any issue you have. Just have a wheel barrow full of money to give them.

In 88 finally I got CTI 's, and have had a few versions of CTI 's since then. My knee joints width and valgus of the knees is constantly changing, as I push out my getting complete joint replacements for as long as I can, so I'm now having tremendous difficulty getting braces that fit. I'm holding off on new custom braces until I get new knees and straighter legs.Woohoo I still use my earliest CTI 's, without Condular pads ( they've long since broken out) for general walking etc - no condular pads enables the braces to fit over my weird knee joints / bent legs. No good for sports, but a lot more support for light use, well above just neoprene type supports.

Asterix have been good for my Valgus problems, what with their near ball and socket (for want of a more accurate description) hinge set up, that dealt well with those issues. But, I've found, that very feature enables the knee joint to slide, side to side, grinding away the bone callouses (Fearful pain when that happens, I've had no load bearing cartilage in both joints since my late teens / 20s) in the joint , that can lead to me being on sticks, or a walker whilst that damage heals.

I'd like to try the Mobius' (sp?), if they can deal with a lot of Valgus, but I'm waiting on the bigger sizes - Large was about 1" 1/2" too narrow to fit over my knee joints. Their full coverage ( much like Guards) would help with my knocking / scraping my knees / legs and then seeing one, or some of the various metal fixtures that are in my legs, after near 30 operations, out in the breeze. It's not fun to look down and see bolt heads / staple heads poking out of your skin, after a topple over, or a graze against a tree / rock, or just the corner of a table. BlinkSick
shkapars
12/5/2016 1:19am
tore ACL in ice hockey and after recovery used medical knee brace from dr.Mueller and over it larger knee guard. This knee brace fixes knee cup. Maybe this could be solution
12/5/2016 2:55am
Gentlemen, I REALLY appreciate all the feedback. Really. I'm now going to go back to the surgeon forearmed with some ideas about what I need (brace type/brand) and will take his thoughts.

Giving up riding is not an option.
David934
12/5/2016 3:07am
I think, if you have any knee issues is too late using braces. In my opinion are braces perfect for still healty knees.
twotwosix
12/5/2016 7:11am
I am missing my right ACL from a crash. I wear a compression sleeve over it and then Asterisk Zero G pants under my braces. Pads don't offer me the support I need. Braces do.
305FC250
12/5/2016 7:41am
I suffer from severe patellar tracking issues in both knees. Oddly enough, when I ride, and the more I ride, it doesn't bother me so much. Broke a couple bones and have been off the bike for a couple weeks now and I guess due to the lack of physical conditioning and activity my knees have been bothering me more than they do when I'm riding. So with that said, maybe you just need to strengthen up more and stay active to help with your patellar tracking issue. It worked for me at least.
brimx153
12/5/2016 12:44pm
Gentlemen, I REALLY appreciate all the feedback. Really. I'm now going to go back to the surgeon forearmed with some ideas about what I need (brace...
Gentlemen, I REALLY appreciate all the feedback. Really. I'm now going to go back to the surgeon forearmed with some ideas about what I need (brace type/brand) and will take his thoughts.

Giving up riding is not an option.
the bigger you get your quad s the better your knee cap will feel , keep at it ,it takes months .really really work on the inside quad muscle . I dont have either acl anymore . i can still do anything i want . but my legs are huge , like 29in . which can be a problem when getting knee braces ,you have to get custom one s . xxl wont fit . the more muscle you put on the better your knee will feel ,keep at it man
Mr. Info
12/5/2016 1:38pm
Brimx is correct. Taping it will stop the side to side movement but if not done right you will lose backward leg movement. Sound like you have detached the patella tendon. After taping muscle strength is next to support the knee.

Post a reply to: Questions for knee injury sufferers/knee brace users

The Latest