Questions about RV1

FullThrottle
Edited Date/Time 9/2/2014 4:17pm
Simply curious about what you guys think.
What are the advantages of him doing GPs over trying to be the first to do 5 straight SX titles? Is he that bored of it and just wants a change of scenery? Maybe something he's always wanted to do? I know this has been talked about for awhile, I just don't see why it's such a big secret.
|
DownSouth
8/29/2014 11:40am
Pit gossip claims his knee will not be rehabbed and ready in time to start SX and try for 5 straight.
socalmx716
8/29/2014 11:40am
word is his knee won't be ready for SX anyway, so it's probably an easier decision than it sounds.
neverwas
Fantasy
740th
8/29/2014 11:41am
I would guess big $ and a new challenge. He has made his mark in AMA motocross,time for something new.

The Shop

GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
8/29/2014 11:41am
Advantages:

Money
Legacy
Challenge
Experience

In that order. If he goes, it will be because they backed up the Brinks truck to his house.

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
8/29/2014 11:44am
socalmx716 wrote:
word is his knee won't be ready for SX anyway, so it's probably an easier decision than it sounds.
True, but from a few conversations I've had with people who worked around him, it sounds like he was over the pressure that comes along with going for multiple Supercross titles.
FullThrottle
8/29/2014 11:52am
Well if it's a done deal either way, why the secrets? Build the hype?
8/29/2014 11:57am
looking for some competition? wants to travel the world and race some different tracks? fancies a change of scenery? all of the above?

fingers crossed it is true- seems to be the worst kept secret in mx at the moment. If he comes to gps then hopefully other top tier american riders will follow, and vice versa. Great to see riders cross the pond and race in the 'other' series both ways!! fair play to him if he has the balls to do it
peelout
8/29/2014 12:02pm Edited Date/Time 8/29/2014 12:03pm
$$$$....
not money.

i honestly THINK he is just over it here and could use a change of pace, scenery, motivations, etc.

he's won all there is to win here. might as well challenge himself by going to race the MXGP imo
Tim507
8/29/2014 12:09pm Edited Date/Time 8/29/2014 9:59pm
$$$$....
peelout wrote:
not money. i honestly THINK he is just over it here and could use a change of pace, scenery, motivations, etc. he's won all there is...
not money.

i honestly THINK he is just over it here and could use a change of pace, scenery, motivations, etc.

he's won all there is to win here. might as well challenge himself by going to race the MXGP imo
^^^^^ this

I bet he is excited about the new challenges ahead of him. He is still a young man. He will have a blast there. I raced in Germany for two seasons as an amateur and it was absolutely an awesome experience!
With his skill set, desires, ability to understand what it will take in conditioning, the notoriety that will come with this adventure……damn I’m way jealous.
New tracks to conquer…….damn…….I certainly will be watching every event!
crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
8/29/2014 12:29pm
The More serious this gets the more I hate the fact that herlings stays in the 250... Danggg just imagine
Harry_Gray
8/29/2014 12:33pm
Until it comes out in black and white; I'm not convinced. Would it be cool to see him race the GP's for a few years? Sure, but until it comes out as a fact; I'm not believing it.
Outsider
8/29/2014 12:38pm
He wanted to see if he could break the badass meter
Getndome
8/29/2014 12:39pm
socalmx716 wrote:
GuyB wrote:
True, but from a few conversations I've had with people who worked around him, it sounds like he was over the pressure that comes along with...
True, but from a few conversations I've had with people who worked around him, it sounds like he was over the pressure that comes along with going for multiple Supercross titles.
Yeah I truly believe it was more about not racing supercross anymore. It was only gonna get harder and more dangerous with less chances of all the top guys making it to the outdoors injury free.
SKlein
8/29/2014 12:39pm Edited Date/Time 8/29/2014 12:39pm
crusty_xx wrote:
The More serious this gets the more I hate the fact that herlings stays in the 250... Danggg just imagine
Yeah that would be a pretty ridiculous situation at hand if it did work out.
daveoevo
8/29/2014 12:39pm
Maybe he do not want to risk what it takes to win at SX any more. And I dont mean that in a bad way. He has proven he is the top dog but SX is buy far the highest risk of hurting your self not just at the races but just testing and practicing as well.
Getndome
8/29/2014 12:40pm Edited Date/Time 8/29/2014 12:40pm
I would have no problem with him pulling the opposite of what MC and JS did and doing outdoors only.
FlaNard
8/29/2014 12:42pm
socalmx716 wrote:
GuyB wrote:
True, but from a few conversations I've had with people who worked around him, it sounds like he was over the pressure that comes along with...
If he is going because he doesn't want the pressure I think its an awful idea. His every move over there will be news. "RV fourth fastest in practice...AMA sucks!" This is an all or nothing move for him. This is the pressure of his legacy and basically of representing America every race. People over there will be thrilled whenever he stumbles. Pressure being the factor doesn't add up to me. Ping made it sound like he is not even sure if he can get up for racing anymore. Maybe hes just over it in general. And like many of us have said, he can see the world a lot better on his own dime then by joining the GP's.
VicDaMoan03
8/29/2014 1:05pm Edited Date/Time 8/29/2014 1:05pm
Change of scenery. Have to remember he's never really switched teams plus the "grind" seems to take its toll on him.
Mxdnusa
8/29/2014 1:17pm
If he never races AMA again, he left on top,he dropped the mic. I think that's the way all top athletes want to end their careers.
As for GP, that will be the next chapter in his life and he may go there,win one and be done, another exclamation point to a stellar career.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2364th
8/29/2014 1:46pm
Mxdnusa wrote:
If he never races AMA again, he left on top,he dropped the mic. I think that's the way all top athletes want to end their careers...
If he never races AMA again, he left on top,he dropped the mic. I think that's the way all top athletes want to end their careers.
As for GP, that will be the next chapter in his life and he may go there,win one and be done, another exclamation point to a stellar career.
Well said.
jim lehey
8/29/2014 2:35pm
socalmx716 wrote:
GuyB wrote:
is it possible that he wanted to get out of the pressure and stress of that, but might be trading it in for just as much pressure and stress of winning the GP's?

Seems like he just picked up a lot more fans and the hopes of him winning are higher now.

Maybe hes not doing this to dominate and grind. Maybe just wanting to enjoy the euro scene and make some money while hes over there?

Which would suck for us USA fans. But RV doesn't care about what fans think right?

This leaves me very curious to see how this plays out.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
8/29/2014 2:38pm
jim lehey wrote:
is it possible that he wanted to get out of the pressure and stress of that, but might be trading it in for just as much...
is it possible that he wanted to get out of the pressure and stress of that, but might be trading it in for just as much pressure and stress of winning the GP's?

Seems like he just picked up a lot more fans and the hopes of him winning are higher now.

Maybe hes not doing this to dominate and grind. Maybe just wanting to enjoy the euro scene and make some money while hes over there?

Which would suck for us USA fans. But RV doesn't care about what fans think right?

This leaves me very curious to see how this plays out.
I don't know...he hasn't won any GPs yet.
slipdog
8/29/2014 2:48pm
I think it's all bullshit!

He started all the rumors himself just to sit back in his downtime and laugh at how kook'd out everyone gets on the internet, laughing all the way to the bank...
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
8/29/2014 2:50pm
slipdog wrote:
I think it's all bullshit! He started all the rumors himself just to sit back in his downtime and laugh at how kook'd out everyone gets...
I think it's all bullshit!

He started all the rumors himself just to sit back in his downtime and laugh at how kook'd out everyone gets on the internet, laughing all the way to the bank...
No one's that bored.
8/29/2014 2:51pm
My guess is the GP carrot gets dangled for a while until the retirement announcement is released. BTW I don't blame him one bit for walking while on top just like RC did. Who started the whole RV to GP's rumor anyway? I've never heard RV himself mention it as a real possibility.
SF45
8/29/2014 3:13pm
My guess is the GP carrot gets dangled for a while until the retirement announcement is released. BTW I don't blame him one bit for walking...
My guess is the GP carrot gets dangled for a while until the retirement announcement is released. BTW I don't blame him one bit for walking while on top just like RC did. Who started the whole RV to GP's rumor anyway? I've never heard RV himself mention it as a real possibility.
Why would Rattray say what he said then? Where there's smoke there's fire.
8/29/2014 3:31pm
SF45 wrote:
Why would Rattray say what he said then? Where there's smoke there's fire.
RV was in for nationals this year until he wasn't. I hope he does the GP's I would make a trip just to see it. I am not holding my breath though......
TeamGreen
8/29/2014 3:42pm
Just heard the guy sold his Raptor...

He's leaving.
8/29/2014 3:46pm
$$$$....
peelout wrote:
not money. i honestly THINK he is just over it here and could use a change of pace, scenery, motivations, etc. he's won all there is...
not money.

RV is not motivated by his legacy, he doesnt even keep up with that stuff. He has all the money he needs. He had nothing more to prove in the US and from what I can tell, he had more and more difficulty finding a good reason to race here, getting another championship just to say you had 5 in a row was not doing it. What he needed was a new challenge, a reason to train and keep racing, and the only place left was GPs. I also suspect he wants to go over there and prove he is the best, to make it completely clear that he is the best rider in the world (excluding Herlings unfortunately).

Think about it this way. A very obviously bored and lacking motivation RV still won the SX championship pretty easily. Now imagine a motivated, maybe with a chip on his shoulder wanting to prove he is the best outdoor rider, RV going to the GPs.

Even if he loses its going to be EPIC.

Post a reply to: Questions about RV1

The Latest