Question regarding works transmissions

The Rock
4/15/2010 11:01pm
I figure they are made of a superior type of metal with an ISF coating or some kind of slick coating and every once in a...
I figure they are made of a superior type of metal with an ISF coating or some kind of slick coating and every once in a while someone on here chimes in to say the works trans make the bike that much better.....my question is, what part of the trans makes it superior to what comes stock.

Is it the material and coating?

Is it that the gear ratios that are slightly different allowing riders to go that much faster in each gear?

I am just wondering what aspect of the "works"transmission gives the factory an advantage....anyone know?
Some SX factory bikes have been three speeds.

You are correct they have a special coating. There are a few companies that do this and it is good for at least a half of horsepower...probably more.

Works transmissions are stronger....PC spends major bucks for theirs.

Works transmissions can also have different ratios that complement different power characteristics. Some riders like a lot of low end while other like more top end...gear ratios can enter into the equation.
Lightning78
4/15/2010 11:22pm
Rock, that's what im trying to find out. Transworld was able to get a RMZ450 trans done up with the coating from RG3 and they said it was awesome but with riders spending so much on motorwork why not have the coating done on the trans? From what I remember it wasn't THAT expensive compared to what they pay for motorwork....Im leaning toward special ratios similar to a wide ratio trans.

The top pro's can push bikes well beyond what the general public can hence the ratios put into production are geared for the avg Joe....what Im getting at is that a rider like JS may be able to use of the taller gear ratio making our normal 3rd gear into something like 3 and a half since they go that much faster and are able to keep the bike up to speed to make use of the "works" ratio while in the meat of the power.
The Rock
4/15/2010 11:30pm
Transworld might not have had the time to split the cases.

www.eleven10mods.com is who did the tranny on the Stealth Pro I built last year.

If you have very deep pockets go for the special ratios but I'd have to be REALLY serious before I go that far.
Lightning78
4/16/2010 1:38am
I understand the deep pockets but what is the MAIN reason that works transmissions are used? Ratios, material, or coatings???

The Shop

Crush
4/16/2010 2:47am
Yeah a lot of it is the durability... Repeated runs through the whoops, at high rpm put a massive load on the drivetrain and tranny at each touch of the wheel, especially in the higher gears...

I've heard Mechs say before a stock box will pretty much crunch 3-5th if the rider keeps that up on SX whoops...
Kinetic1
4/16/2010 3:31am
Send your tranny to Fast by Gast in NJ. They will heat treat and back cut it and you will be very happy. It will shift better and last longer.
4/16/2010 4:50am
Besides the different ratios works gearboxs shift 10X smoother and 1/2 the throw (if the racer likes that).

Post a reply to: Question regarding works transmissions

The Latest