Question for you 500 guys: AJ, Wardy, Meidoso, Dr. Mark

mxr102
5/25/2010 2:14pm
I dont have one but you went from mellow dearing to SX gearing on that thing. Dropping one on the front sprocket is like adding 2.5-3 teeth on the back. S realistically you pretty much added 4.5-5 teeth in the rear. Holy shit, I would of left the 14 on front ant tried the 50 tooth on the rear first. Just my opinion
DanDunes818
5/25/2010 2:14pm
All I can say is I wish I had the problem of trying to figure out how to set up my 500cc 2 stroke service Honda. Not a bad problem to have. I wish you luck..
5/25/2010 4:12pm
All I can say is I wish I had the problem of trying to figure out how to set up my 500cc 2 stroke service Honda...
All I can say is I wish I had the problem of trying to figure out how to set up my 500cc 2 stroke service Honda. Not a bad problem to have. I wish you luck..
yea its quite the cross to bear but some of us have to do it.... Evil
race
5/25/2010 4:36pm
I had an '89 CR500 and the motor is probably not that far off as they haven't changed all that much over the years. I had Pro Circuit port the cylinder and they pretty much changed it from that brutal low end hit and-then-it-feels-like-it's-going-to-vibrate-apart power band ... into basically a big 250 power band that you could actually rev out and it wouldn't feel like the universe was about to shake apart.

Made the bike much easier and more fun to ride.

The Shop

rallendude
5/25/2010 8:29pm
I know all about how gearing works. I hoped I could get rid of the exact simptoms RACE described by shifting more.

Race, that is a pretty acurate description of bow the big 5 runs. There's this HUGE hit and pull right off idle and it pulls like crazy up to about half way where you think it should. About the time you start to hang on tight, it just quits pulling and goes to vibrating and shaking like a dog crapping seeds.

I hate to have to have engine work done on such a work of art.

5/26/2010 5:15am
I have 14/50 gearing. But mine is ported to the max, so I'm alittle off on what it should feel like stock with those gears. I'd guess close. Sorry.
It shouldn't sign off really. It should run just like any other 2 stroke, up to where it just runs out, but doesn't feel like you just started up a hill. Mine doesn't eat fuel, so maybe you are correct, just the richness. I guess it also depends on if you are riding desert etc. Because if you are wide open for long periods, yeah it will go through fuel.
Don't know about the holes, AJ will have to answer that.
If you really want it and the RG3's aren't different angles, then I would go back to stock or have someone weld a bracket on the RG3's if you like the looks of the anodized. But it also depends on what riding you do. I have had no issues with headshake, but I'm not doing 60mph on rough terrain either. It always depends on what riding you do.
Hope i helped alittle. AJ will know much more. I don't get to ride much.
John Birch
5/26/2010 5:29am
I have 14/50 gearing. But mine is ported to the max, so I'm alittle off on what it should feel like stock with those gears. I'd...
I have 14/50 gearing. But mine is ported to the max, so I'm alittle off on what it should feel like stock with those gears. I'd guess close. Sorry.
It shouldn't sign off really. It should run just like any other 2 stroke, up to where it just runs out, but doesn't feel like you just started up a hill. Mine doesn't eat fuel, so maybe you are correct, just the richness. I guess it also depends on if you are riding desert etc. Because if you are wide open for long periods, yeah it will go through fuel.
Don't know about the holes, AJ will have to answer that.
If you really want it and the RG3's aren't different angles, then I would go back to stock or have someone weld a bracket on the RG3's if you like the looks of the anodized. But it also depends on what riding you do. I have had no issues with headshake, but I'm not doing 60mph on rough terrain either. It always depends on what riding you do.
Hope i helped alittle. AJ will know much more. I don't get to ride much.
But you dont have a Service Honda. You have a High School Metal Shop Project bike that's put together with JB Weld and the worst welding I've ever seen. My grandmother can run a bead better then whats on your fake piece of shit copy of a bike. Why dont you let the real owners of the quality machine answer this nice mans question. Not some Snake Oil salesman who cant grasp reality, or the English language.
yota
5/26/2010 5:59am
what year engine? some years have a more violent hit than others and some have a close ratio gear box. mine has a 94 motor (wide ratio) with mild port work and I'm running 14/51 in central florida woods. I have installed a 38mm Kiehen airstriker and if I remember right a 168 main (I'm at work so can't look at the notes in my manual).

I've used steering dampers in the past and don't anymore. If you are doing high speed desert stuff they are probably a plus but you don't need one in the woods.

I don't know why you would have gaps in the body work. my bike vibrates very little but I've been on a few that did vibrate badly. some guys are having the cranks balanced but I think it may have more to do with the frame mods.
yota
5/26/2010 6:04am
left side, no gaps. maybe your subframe is bent?

rallendude
5/26/2010 6:44am
John Birch, got a burr in your saddle?

Thanks Miedoso. I'm going to goof with the jetting a little.

I live in Alabama guys. Chances are I'm not going to happen across any deserts around here. I ride strictly Vet B moto. I'm going to try the 14/50 combo this weekend and see how that works.

Mine is a stock 2009 Service Honda, so it's the 2001 CR500 engine but it has an updated carb. I'll have to look at the documentation but I think it's a 39mm PWK. I think I'll drop to a 168 main as well. What pilot are you running. I know this one has a 55. That sounds awful rich to me.

The "gaps" in the body work are actually two notches made in the UFO side panels that don't quite line up with the stock subframe/rear fender. The bike is new. It's got two races plus six laps of practice on it and has never hit the ground. The sub isn't bent. They are under the fender area not on the outside.

Yota, I like the aluminum ign cover. I think I'll look into getting one for mine along with a matching part for the clutch side.
wardy
5/26/2010 7:26am
I run 14/48 and right now am having a friend who knows jetting setting up the carb. I have been having some blubbering between the pilot and the needle as I roll on the throttle. Bascially i am an idiot when it comes to jetting, i just ride the damn thing........

as far as those little spots under the fender I haven't had much trouble with that, I have been riding HS more lately so the bike is in the "slop" alot more. Just went through two creek crossings at the Oakford IL dirt riders club HS race which was over my front wheel deep and didn't suck water so I am happy!~

my scoot don't look as purty now as the one you have in the photo........but when i moto'ed all the time, i was running a 14-47 or 14-48 depending on the track.

my motors are all stock cept I use the pro circuit pipe, as the fmf i have here is a very nice fitting pipe, but man the low end it has I have never been able to adjust to. it's an arm ripper..............
rallendude
5/26/2010 7:30am
You think it's an arm ripper now, Try you some 13 tooth front sprocket.

I'll play with the jetting some this weekend and see what happens. I'm thinking 52 pilot and 168 main. I'll wait and try needle movements at the track. I'm also running straight C12 with Klotz 40:1.
John Birch
5/26/2010 7:37am
Dont they now offer the Pro Circuit pipe in natural finish for the Service Honda 500?
wardy
5/26/2010 8:11am
yes they do, and mine is a bare steel finish which I have had re-inforced for "logs" and then I have painted it black with heat paint....... HS bikes as a norm just are not as "purty" as mx bikes.....

I run 93 octane and spectro synthetic i think it's sx2?

I have been on open class bikes since 1978. LOL i know better than to make the gearing to low.

pro circuit pipes is what I have run on my a/f's since 1999. they make the bike in my opinion run the best.
5/26/2010 8:32am
Yota what is your address I am going to bring my trailer down. I can see you have a problem with not enough space in your shop. I can fix that. Also I would say you win in the game of toys.
Suns_PSD
5/26/2010 9:31am
My buddy built an aluminum framed CR500 and he is a fantastic fabricator. He ported it for mostly for top end hp reasoning that he couldn't kill the bottom end, put a lot of compression to it (190psi), added a 42mm carb. He also balanced the crank, trick aftermarket head, and has a digital ignition. It also Gary Bailey's old kit suspension.

This bike's powerband is absolutely perfect. It's basically electric from the bottom and absolutely never stops pulling anywhere but it's never violent or hairy to ride. You could click it in third and smoothly pull out of every turn on the track and scream down every straightaway w/o shifting. If a modern 450 is 53 hp than based on sensation this thing is around 60-65 hp but only has that up top.

You can make that 500 engine right but it's going to take some planning and proper application of engine building. Stock it's an ancient and not very smart design.

Post a reply to: Question for you 500 guys: AJ, Wardy, Meidoso, Dr. Mark

The Latest