Question for the old school: Daytona '87

DC
Edited Date/Time 2/24/2013 5:28pm
We were doing some bench-racing last night while watching Atlanta, trying to recall the circumstances of the 1987 Daytona SX, when Ricky Ryan won on a privateer Honda. Does anyone recall the end of the race, when someone else had a problem -- Wardy or maybe Bowen? I have looked at TBlazier's channel but I can't find a video or race report on that one...

Anyone have any idea about the end-game of Daytona '87?

DC
MX Sports
|
DC
2/24/2013 1:07pm
Reese, I heard through a pretty good source that there is a plan to do just that for those past issues, which would be a treasure trove for us bench-racers. Hopefully it happens!

DC
MX Sports
Toste
Fantasy
925th
2/24/2013 1:09pm
I think Bowen got a rock jammed in his countershaft sprocket or something like that.
slipdog
2/24/2013 1:10pm Edited Date/Time 2/24/2013 1:12pm
Bowen was leading and got a rock in his countershaft (I believe) and threw a chain giving the Lead to Ryan.

Edit: 2nd place holeshot to Tony...
TooOldToPlay
2/24/2013 1:36pm
DC check your email..I sent you PDF copy of the 1987 AMA Magazine Daytona SX race report.

Kevin

The Shop

jeffro503
2/24/2013 2:01pm
DC wrote:
Reese, I heard through a pretty good source that there is a plan to do just that for those past issues, which would be a treasure...
Reese, I heard through a pretty good source that there is a plan to do just that for those past issues, which would be a treasure trove for us bench-racers. Hopefully it happens!

DC
MX Sports
No way!......Really? That would be sweet!! I'd buy that collection in a heart beat!
web mx
2/24/2013 3:37pm
slipdog wrote:
Bowen was leading and got a rock in his countershaft (I believe) and threw a chain giving the Lead to Ryan. Edit: 2nd place holeshot to...
Bowen was leading and got a rock in his countershaft (I believe) and threw a chain giving the Lead to Ryan.

Edit: 2nd place holeshot to Tony...
This happened with less than 2 laps to go.
Foo723
2/24/2013 3:53pm
the only thing i can recall was that it was wet, miserable, cold and raining. i had paid like 8 bucks for ice cold coffee and cold hot dog, the announcing was terrible, i had to wait till the bikes were off the track to hear them announce the winner, couldnt wait to get back to the hotel for a hot shower and a steak dinner
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
2/24/2013 3:58pm
Didn't RJ amd Lechien get into a fight at this one? Maybe that was 85 or 86. I know RJ and the other wrecked several times and couldn't ride in the Daytona mud for nothin.
Foo723
2/24/2013 3:58pm
DC, i got this off of tblazer's pulpmx coloumn. i thought that he had covered it recently:

http://www.pulpmx.com/stories/look-back-old-moto-mags/gps-classic-steel…;

On the day of the race, Mother Nature would again assert herself and deliver a muddy racetrack. The mud would be so bad that the AMA would cut the laps in the main down to 10 from the normal 20. While that would make surviving the event easier, it also compounded the need for a good start.

At the drop of the gate, Ron “The Dogger” Lechien would rip out of the gate and somehow wheelie his Factory Kawasaki 90% of the way to the first turn. Ronnie’s lead would be short lived, however, because when he finally dropped the front of his SR250 into the black Daytona muck, the front wheel would come to an immediate stop. As Lechien was executing a perfect over-the-bars dismount, Rick Johnson would plow into the back of his Kawasaki and end up in a muddy heap. Taking advantage of all this carnage would be the #12 of Ricky Ryan. Ryan would lead the field into the first turn, followed by Rodney Smith and Keith Bowen. Before the first lap was over, the muddy track would claim the last of the big players. Jeff Ward would suffer a derailed chain, ending his bid for a first Daytona SX victory.

With Johnson, Lechien and Ward out, the door would be opened for Team Yamaha’s Keith “Bones” Bowen to capture his first Supercross win. Bowen, sensing his opportunity, would quickly pass Smith and Ryan for the number one position. Using his extensive mud riding experience to its fullest, the Michigan rider would pull out an early lead, before mistiming a double and flipping over the bars. Bowen would quickly pick himself up and reenter the race in fourth, behind Ryan, Holland and Smith.
PDUB481
2/24/2013 4:25pm
Don't forget the best part of that race Bob Hannah, If I remember right Bob lead it for a while also.
Mallet
2/24/2013 4:34pm
Foo723 wrote:
DC, i got this off of tblazer's pulpmx coloumn. i thought that he had covered it recently: http://www.pulpmx.com/stories/look-back-old-moto-mags/gps-classic-steel/greatest-sx-upsets-ever On the day of the race, Mother Nature...
DC, i got this off of tblazer's pulpmx coloumn. i thought that he had covered it recently:

http://www.pulpmx.com/stories/look-back-old-moto-mags/gps-classic-steel…;

On the day of the race, Mother Nature would again assert herself and deliver a muddy racetrack. The mud would be so bad that the AMA would cut the laps in the main down to 10 from the normal 20. While that would make surviving the event easier, it also compounded the need for a good start.

At the drop of the gate, Ron “The Dogger” Lechien would rip out of the gate and somehow wheelie his Factory Kawasaki 90% of the way to the first turn. Ronnie’s lead would be short lived, however, because when he finally dropped the front of his SR250 into the black Daytona muck, the front wheel would come to an immediate stop. As Lechien was executing a perfect over-the-bars dismount, Rick Johnson would plow into the back of his Kawasaki and end up in a muddy heap. Taking advantage of all this carnage would be the #12 of Ricky Ryan. Ryan would lead the field into the first turn, followed by Rodney Smith and Keith Bowen. Before the first lap was over, the muddy track would claim the last of the big players. Jeff Ward would suffer a derailed chain, ending his bid for a first Daytona SX victory.

With Johnson, Lechien and Ward out, the door would be opened for Team Yamaha’s Keith “Bones” Bowen to capture his first Supercross win. Bowen, sensing his opportunity, would quickly pass Smith and Ryan for the number one position. Using his extensive mud riding experience to its fullest, the Michigan rider would pull out an early lead, before mistiming a double and flipping over the bars. Bowen would quickly pick himself up and reenter the race in fourth, behind Ryan, Holland and Smith.
I don't remember Bowen leading early in the race, I could be wrong. I do remember Lechien and Johnson tangling down the start straight, and I do remember Rodney Smith pushing Rick pretty hard for the first 3 laps. I also remember Hannah going fast that day. Not sure where he started, but by the time he got up to fourth I thought he was the biggest threat to catch Rick. He was so fast in those rutted turns, and I think he crashed over a small double right out of a rutted turn and was done. Lechien was fast and worked up the fifth I think, but wasn't a threat to win. I actually missed Bowen going by Rick, but did see him stall and try and start his bike. He left it there and walked away. I think Ron Heben was his mechanic, the bike started right up for him. Kurt Pingle and Jason Upshaw seem to remember quite a bit about that day that I don't.
fullfloater
Fantasy
10th
2/24/2013 5:21pm
DC wrote:
Reese, I heard through a pretty good source that there is a plan to do just that for those past issues, which would be a treasure...

DC
MX Sports
Oh man, that would be incredible. I want the '85 Millville issue so bad.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
662nd
2/24/2013 5:25pm Edited Date/Time 2/24/2013 5:26pm
Wasn't this also the race that RJ stuck his head in the spinning rear wheel after a start straight crash?
Sorry, I missed Mallet's post above
tblazier
2/24/2013 5:28pm
DC wrote:
We were doing some bench-racing last night while watching Atlanta, trying to recall the circumstances of the 1987 Daytona SX, when Ricky Ryan won on a...
We were doing some bench-racing last night while watching Atlanta, trying to recall the circumstances of the 1987 Daytona SX, when Ricky Ryan won on a privateer Honda. Does anyone recall the end of the race, when someone else had a problem -- Wardy or maybe Bowen? I have looked at TBlazier's channel but I can't find a video or race report on that one...

Anyone have any idea about the end-game of Daytona '87?

DC
MX Sports
DC, I did just do write up on that race for Matthes about a month ago. Let me know if you don't get the info you need and I can email you a few of the original race reports I have.
Blaze out

Post a reply to: Question for the old school: Daytona '87

The Latest