Question for DC

NV825
Fantasy
2740th
Edited Date/Time 3/6/2015 10:17am
Before I get to my question, I want to say that since MX Sports has taken over the reigns the exposure the riders/companies are getting through MX is great. While supercross is exciting, seeing some of the best riders in the world going out for 30+2 is at the core of our sport. Some people may not be in favor of the single day format on Saturdays, but I think it's great to get home from a race and have a day to sleep off a hangover.

My concern is the tracks and the prep work that goes into them before and during the race day. If you haven't listened to the recent Pulp, Dungey and DV bring up some good critical points that seem to be handicapping the US riders. Each track is bringing in external dirt to make the racing surface more loamy. Hangtown is almost no different than Red Bud, which is no different than Budds Creek, and so on.

DV talks about having to setup a bike completely different for a US MX race compared to a GP MX race. The tracks are being groomed back to perfectly smooth in many areas instead of letting the entire track get really rough throughout the day. We have no true hard pack tracks anymore like a Carlsbad. Now we don't really have a sand track either with Southwick off the schedule.

Is there anything MX Sports can do to add some variety to our current tracks on schedule? Is it up to the track owners and MX Sports simply puts on the race with whatever the track surface the owners provide? I'm not criticizing your operations, I'm just curious to hear what your thoughts are after hearing some pretty prominent figures speak on race day track conditions.
|
Grizz
3/4/2015 4:03pm
I agree with you that variety is good, but I can assure you that Budds Creek dirt is pretty damn different than Red Bud. Muddy Creek is also very different from those two.
NV825
Fantasy
2740th
3/4/2015 4:06pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2015 4:10pm
Perhaps my track correlation isn't correct, but it seems like before every race I see an Instagram post about how X track is bringing in extra dirt/sand/saw dust/etc.

Edit: The biggest part of my question is track prep and how it's hindering our riders when it comes to MXDN. When you have a guy like Dungey mention how he felt like a fish out of water at an MXDN because the track got so rough, then I think we have a problem.
KMC440
3/4/2015 4:13pm
I believe two parts to the answer... first the loamier (is that a word) the dirt the more it will stay wet through the moto's as well as rut up nicely. Secondly the loamier surface is a bit more forgiving in a getoff than the hard pack of a Carlsbad. That be my guess.
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
3/4/2015 5:15pm
I think that Belgian sand is as unique as Texas clay...

The Shop

3/4/2015 8:25pm
All most fans wanna see is close racing and I'm afraid the GP tracks/series rarely provide that as well as the National tracks/series. I like the guys in the US being able to plant the bike in the turns (loamier/deeper dirt) as it lends itself to a more aggressive style and, ergo, closer racing. So, don't change the tracks IMO.

Cheers
Simon
iBobbyb
3/4/2015 8:50pm
we dont have any true hardpack tracks anymore because they suck.
captmoto
3/4/2015 9:11pm
Tracks aren't as diverse as they used to be due to all the sand being brought in. It's in the name of TV production values.
ChrisB10
3/4/2015 9:24pm
I can't speak for other tracks but Unadilla gets rough as hell so this talk about how perfectly groomed US tracks are is kind of BS to me.
zehn
3/4/2015 9:27pm
The point of the US Nationals series is not to prepare our riders for the MXdN/GP circuit...
FIREfish148
3/4/2015 9:41pm
iBobbyb wrote:
You've never been to washougal I'm assuming. Tell Dungey that hard pack tracks suck...
Flip109
3/5/2015 3:17am Edited Date/Time 3/5/2015 4:32am
I like our tracks and series a LOT better. Screw making our tracks shittier so we will be better prepared to beat a few guys who don't even race us year round. If they are better at riding blown out tracks, so be it.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
3/5/2015 6:17am
I am not a fan of the MX races being on Saturday but that is one of the very few complaints I have about the nationals. DC cant please everyone but he does try and I would say they do an outstanding job overall.
Bob693
3/5/2015 6:25am
So RV has a bad race in the GP's and we should change our tracks?
DC
3/5/2015 6:32am Edited Date/Time 3/5/2015 6:34am
When you have four motos running live, back to back to back to back, and no breaks in between, there's not a lot of time to work on the tracks other than shape up some nasty jump faces or a berm that extends into the first turn. The mystery to me is how someone doesn't think Unadilla or RedBud or Glen Helen get rough -- they are brutal. But they are also very well prepped and managed before the riders even go out.

Live TV is extremely important to the teams trying to find sponsors, and while our tracks are prepped differently than GP tracks, to say they are all the same is not really accurate. Like the GPs, the same track manager oversees the prep, but unlike the GPs, we do it all in one day, and they have the luxury of two days and much less riders... And the reason we went away from a two-day format is that after 18 weeks of supercross, we would probably see some riders return to "supercross-only" deals, to be painfully honest.

My opinion:

We lost in Lommel because the sand was truly different for our guys, but we still got on the podium, but those German guys were very fast too.

We lost in Germany because Eli Tomac and Justin Barcia had some very untimely crashes, but still got on the podium, but those Belgian guys were very fast too.

We lost in Latvia because Jeremy Martin raced with a broken foot and Eli Tomac and Ryan Dungey had some very untimely crashes, but we still got on the podium, but those French guys were very fast too.

The single thing (besides luck and crashes) that I believe has been hurting our guys is the fact that our series ends mid-August, at the request of teams -- they have to have some kind of break, and it's usually September -- and the inability to draw a lot of fans out during football season. With the MXoN is six weeks later, our guys probably aren't as sharp as they are when our series ends.

DC
MX Sports
DA498
3/5/2015 6:57am
We need a Florida sand track, I rode the Winter Series back in the day and remember some real sand tracks (southwick is not)

I don't buy into the whole track prep debate as some, these guys know how to ride, its more of familiarity thing to me, Cities, Countries, Food, Weather, Soft, Hard, Wet, Whoops, Jumps, Starts.....

You have the whole package, You Win!

ktm212
3/5/2015 7:03am
iBobbyb wrote:
amen
CR250Rider
3/5/2015 7:06am
Loam isn't natural. either is sawdust or bark. Rocks are.
NV825
Fantasy
2740th
3/5/2015 8:12am
Thanks DC. I understand that luck hasn't been on our side the last several MXDN's, I was just curious on how Dungey could say he felt so out of sorts because the track got so rough at I think Germany or Latvia. Our series ending much sooner definitely plays a roll too.
Zaugg
3/5/2015 8:35am
Why can't we all just appreciate great riding? Hopefully with RV going to the GP's, those here on our giant island of awesome will realize that the world also fields some amazing racers. Nothing wrong with evolving but changing our tracks to be more like a GP track is ridiculous. The AMA/ MX Sports races are different than the GP's and that's a good thing. Do we really want world-wide case homogenous tracks? I say No. Their tracks are different from race to race, and our tracks are different from race to race. If you can't see that then I don't know what to tell you. If you think for one second that Red Bud and Glen Helen are similar...well I don't know what races you've been watching. Go walk Red Bud or Glen Helen after the race and tell me its a superhighway. Far from it. Those tracks are every bit as rough as a GP track.

(Its funny, the GP's don't groom their tracks and you bone-heads think it makes the GP riders more "manly" or something. Ever think it was because they just always did it that way and they decided not to change. What started out as being possibly lazy - this is a guess- has turned into a badge of honor for those "rough" GP tracks.)

Just be stoked we get to watch great racing from all over the world, including the racing in our own back yard. (And stop complaining about how tracks aren't like they used to be....if you want to watch racing like that...they still exist, they're called GNCC's.) Smile

Grieby54
3/5/2015 8:47am
I just see it as the evolution of moto. I know that most of you guys think the tracks should be total shit holes by the end of a moto, but I really enjoy watching the riders and bikes being pushed on some gnarly tracks that are optimum for racing. Not tip-toeing around on some marbles and hard-pack. This isn't GNCC, it's not Enduro, it's racing - give these guys a decent track to race on and you can expect some good action.
3/5/2015 9:46am
And then when someone gets seriously hurt they will have to go back to prepping the track.
IceMan446
3/5/2015 9:52am
RVs setup was so far off it wasn't even funny in Qatar, and he went over seas to get his set up right well in advance.

I think its the rider not being able to set a bike up properly for the conditions.

Not because of the track prep here in the states.
jeffro503
3/5/2015 9:53am
I think DC's post is pretty on point ( kind of has to be since he runs it hehe) . I also think he hit the nail on the head with a couple things that hinder us at the MXoN's races.

1.) Lack of setup time : We get our guys there a week early and try to get some testing in , usually on tracks that aren't that similar to what the actual race is on. " Most " of the time....the GP regulars already have a great baseline setting for that specific track , because they have raced or ridden it plenty of times. I'm not this happens every year , but close to it.

2.) And probably the most important thing here is.......our boys have a 6 week break " after " our nationals are over with before the race. That means 3 of our guys should / have to keep training up until the race ( every day they take a break , the GP guys are still training because their series is still going ). Mean while.....ALL of the USA riders here that aren't chosen to race it.....get that much needed break.

I think BOTH of those reasons are huge. It's not an excuse , or in any way taking anything away from the GP badass's across the pond. Just seems we are at a slight disadvantage before we even get there sometimes.

But....it is what it is I guess.
IceMan446
3/5/2015 9:58am Edited Date/Time 3/5/2015 9:58am
jeffro503 wrote:
I think DC's post is pretty on point ( kind of has to be since he runs it hehe) . I also think he hit the...
I think DC's post is pretty on point ( kind of has to be since he runs it hehe) . I also think he hit the nail on the head with a couple things that hinder us at the MXoN's races.

1.) Lack of setup time : We get our guys there a week early and try to get some testing in , usually on tracks that aren't that similar to what the actual race is on. " Most " of the time....the GP regulars already have a great baseline setting for that specific track , because they have raced or ridden it plenty of times. I'm not this happens every year , but close to it.

2.) And probably the most important thing here is.......our boys have a 6 week break " after " our nationals are over with before the race. That means 3 of our guys should / have to keep training up until the race ( every day they take a break , the GP guys are still training because their series is still going ). Mean while.....ALL of the USA riders here that aren't chosen to race it.....get that much needed break.

I think BOTH of those reasons are huge. It's not an excuse , or in any way taking anything away from the GP badass's across the pond. Just seems we are at a slight disadvantage before we even get there sometimes.

I think they should alternate the location of the MXoNs every other year.

One year a track from the US series, the next year a track from the GP series.

Only real way to make things even.

When you go ten years between having a MXoNs on American soil its a bit lopsided IMO
iBobbyb
3/5/2015 9:58am
iBobbyb wrote:
You've never been to washougal I'm assuming. Tell Dungey that hard pack tracks suck...
you've never seen Carlsbad im assuming...
ktm212
3/5/2015 10:04am Edited Date/Time 3/5/2015 10:05am
Unfortunately with such a short amount of time and the number of guys on the track and the consistency of the dirt in the states thats be pretty unrealistic. I've done the timed qualifying thing, I've been out there for the last practice of the day at a national and its plenty rough, the amount of moisture they put into the dirt causes the loamy soil of the nationals to break down really fast and they have no choice but to fix the jump faces, some landings, some dangerous holes before the start of the motos.

I can tell you from experience though riding practice and then going to the lcq are totally different. For the motos the track is quite a bit different from practice (not that Ive made a moto but they fix the track before the lcq) and its weird because the flatten and fix some stuff and then leave other parts super gnarly. For example, Unadilla was a highway during the motos compared to the track in practice but the track in practice would be terrible for racing with guys tiptoeing around. While at Muddy Creek it looked like is had rained 6 inches the night before (it hadn't) and the track was unbelievably deep and then in the motos it developed just as bad, minus where they had to scrape bc it was just too muddy.

I think the real fix for the AMA circuit would be to be more consistent. Instead of flooding the track in practice and making it a quagmire for the first set of practices if they laid less water down the track would develop better and faster lines. Right now they flood it to make deep ruts, but its a mess, lines everywhere and then they go flatten the bad turns and the not so good lines and leave just a few good line. if they laid less water they wouldn't have to fix as much after practice, this would lead to a little drier and less loamy tracks and theyd have to water during the day but it wouldnt be like 2 different tracks throughout the day.
jeffro503
3/5/2015 10:10am
One thing to add before the GP guys come in here and flame the shit out of this thread.........

Some will say " Why cater to the American's.....there are 30 other countries that race it too! " ( MXoN's )........let's not look at it like that. Lets take a step back and look at it as two different series......the AMA nationals and the GP's.

Getting the MXoN's race scheduled so that it makes it a little easier. If there is 6 weeks before the race....why not compromise some how? I can see why some of our guys don't want to do it after racing for 8.5 months strait......then a 6 week break before that race. That schedule sucks for the dudes doing it.
iBobbyb
3/5/2015 10:28am
jeffro503 wrote:
I think DC's post is pretty on point ( kind of has to be since he runs it hehe) . I also think he hit the...

IceMan446 wrote:
I think they should alternate the location of the MXoNs every other year. One year a track from the US series, the next year a track...
I think they should alternate the location of the MXoNs every other year.

One year a track from the US series, the next year a track from the GP series.

Only real way to make things even.

When you go ten years between having a MXoNs on American soil its a bit lopsided IMO
the mxons isnt about AMA vs GP. or U.S.A vs Europe. its every country against every country. that would be like saying the Olympics should be in the states every other time.
jamma10
3/5/2015 10:41am Edited Date/Time 3/5/2015 10:46am
In 2011 the Outdoor Nationals actually ended after than the GP series, the last National was the a week before the MXdN. Before that it chopped and changed each year.

I believe 2012 was the first year that the Outdoor National schedule was brought forward slightly? There was a three week gap that year, but the last two years there has been a four week gap between the end of the Outdoor Nats and the MXdN.

Lommel aside, I think Team USA's results over the last two years have been affected more by bad luck/crashes than anything else. Before that Team USA were able to avoid it, while the other contenders often suffered terrible luck.
IceMan446
3/5/2015 10:42am Edited Date/Time 3/5/2015 10:43am
iBobbyb wrote:
the mxons isnt about AMA vs GP. or U.S.A vs Europe. its every country against every country. that would be like saying the Olympics should be...
the mxons isnt about AMA vs GP. or U.S.A vs Europe. its every country against every country. that would be like saying the Olympics should be in the states every other time.
Ok, so why have they gone to the same track multiple times? And sometimes within a short time span?

And if its every country against every country, how come they haven't had a race in every country that fields a team???

Post a reply to: Question for DC

The Latest