Protection jackets?

mxer613
Edited Date/Time 2/10/2012 4:51pm
Are they all that? They seem to have better cov
erage than chest protectors, anyone wear one?
|
Switch
2/3/2012 10:05am Edited Date/Time 2/3/2012 10:05am
Nope, I quit when I got married. But years before that, I had one with me at all times, yano, just in case...
TerryB
2/3/2012 12:05pm Edited Date/Time 2/3/2012 12:09pm
The downside is the flimsy mesh material holding them together in "jacket" form. I've worn one of these (link below)
on occasion, It's vented mesh, and it works excellent in all but the hottest weather. Think "MX pants for the upper body". It has shoulder, elbow/forearm, and back protection all built in, plus a lot more abrasion resistance than a jersey. Mine is a little older model that is almost all white.

I wish someone would purpose-build something like this for MX/offroad.

The Shop

OldYZRider1
2/3/2012 5:56pm Edited Date/Time 2/3/2012 6:01pm
That Leatt looks really nice, hadn't seen it before. I've used a Thor Impact Rig SE which was ok, stiching on the elbow armor came loose. It had a one piece breastplate like the Leatt but not as substantial. I like that design better than the split ones that most others use. I'm currently using a TLD unit but the breastplate doesn't seem very substantial and is a two piece design. Many of these types of armor suits have been targeted more for Supermoto use but I like them for MX riding. They offer really nice spine protection which for me is a key feature. That Leatt also appears to offer more lower rib protection than most.
Brtp4
2/3/2012 6:43pm
I had an Impact Rig SE last year also. I liked it, but felt the padding, especially on the elbows and chest, was lacking. The Leatt has WAY better padding.

BP
Brtp4
2/3/2012 6:47pm
I use it. What would you like to know?
josh8811
2/3/2012 9:07pm
I wear one in the desert.. Going to in the rocks is pretty scary.. I've had several, Fox, EVS, and rock Gardn... The link below is for one made by Zero7.. It's an Italian company. Hands down the best I've seen. Fits great, offers lots of protection.

http://www.zero7products.com/rokajacket.html
ab5772
2/3/2012 9:13pm Edited Date/Time 2/3/2012 9:14pm
Brtp4 wrote:
I've been wearing my Leatt with a traditional plastic chest protector for years (desert racing). This year I was thinking of trying one of the "jacket" style protectors. Here's what I wanted...

1 - Full Leatt compatibility/integration
2 - Under jersey
3 - Low profile (most of the jackets are too bulky)

The Leatt Body Protector seems to fit all of the above from what I've seen. What's your overall impression?

FYI I had also considered the Acerbis Cosmo (borderline too bulky and not completely sure how well it works with Leatt)

Today, I was in a downhill mtb shop and they showed me a cool one from TLD. It's mainly marketed to dh bikers, but the fit is excellent - super low profile, comfortable and removable/customizable padding. My only concern with this one is that it doesn't have the hard plastic that the Leatt has. Instead, it uses a dual-density Shock Doctor foam. I'm still considering this one as well.

TLD UPS Shirt
Titan1
2/3/2012 9:35pm
I wear this all the time (I ride/race in the desert)...I like it better than a traditional chest protector and elbow pads...way more comfortable and way more protection. I honestly don't even notice it when I'm wearing it. My only complaint is it gets a little warm in hot weather...in which case I just wear it without a jersey over it (kind of poserish, but it I like the protection and comfort and don't want to overheat).

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/-/439/837/-/25776/Fox-Racing-Tit…
ocscottie
2/3/2012 9:46pm
I always dig up these pics when this topic comes up. This custom job that Kenny wears is awesome.

check out some of his under armor, which is a custom-made piece from Fox Racing that integrates the sleeves from their Titan Sport Jacket, a well-ventilated chest plate from a Proframe LC Roost Deflector, and a back protector from Ortema.
ab5772
2/3/2012 9:54pm
ocscottie wrote:
I always dig up these pics when this topic comes up. This custom job that Kenny wears is awesome. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/64/photos/46677/s600_9I9D5618.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/64/photos/46676/s600_9I9D5625.jpg[/img] [i]check out some of his...
I always dig up these pics when this topic comes up. This custom job that Kenny wears is awesome.

check out some of his under armor, which is a custom-made piece from Fox Racing that integrates the sleeves from their Titan Sport Jacket, a well-ventilated chest plate from a Proframe LC Roost Deflector, and a back protector from Ortema.
Roczen's is cool for sure, Scottie. I'm hoping to find something similar that has a seamless integration with the Leatt. This is the one from earlier in the thread.

ab5772
2/3/2012 9:56pm
Brtp4 wrote:
Also, what size are you wearing? I'm 5'11"165 lbs.. L/XL?
bigborefan
2/3/2012 10:44pm
I wear an EVS Jacket when dual sporting or riding pavement. i HATE road rash. I don't wear it when riding sinlgetrack though. i wear a more traditional chest protector for that.
Brtp4
2/4/2012 8:11am
Brtp4 wrote:
ab5772 wrote:
I've been wearing my Leatt with a traditional plastic chest protector for years (desert racing). This year I was thinking of trying one of the "jacket"...
I've been wearing my Leatt with a traditional plastic chest protector for years (desert racing). This year I was thinking of trying one of the "jacket" style protectors. Here's what I wanted...

2 - Under jersey

The Leatt Body Protector seems to fit all of the above from what I've seen. What's your overall impression?

FYI I had also considered the Acerbis Cosmo (borderline too bulky and not completely sure how well it works with Leatt)

Today, I was in a downhill mtb shop and they showed me a cool one from TLD. It's mainly marketed to dh bikers, but the fit is excellent - super low profile, comfortable and removable/customizable padding. My only concern with this one is that it doesn't have the hard plastic that the Leatt has. Instead, it uses a dual-density Shock Doctor foam. I'm still considering this one as well.

TLD UPS Shirt
abs,

1. It is fully Leatt compatible. You remove parts on the chest and the upper back that the brace "nests" in.
2. You wear it under the jersey, then the jersey, then the Leatt. This is important...some armor that is "compatible" requires slipping the brace under it, and when you add a jersey to the mix it does not work.
3. It is definitely more bulky that most other models. This is a design choice, the Leatt has much more substantial padding than any of the other protectors discussed here. Plastics are thicker also. For reference, my Thor Impact Rig SE weighs 3.2 lbs...my Leatt weighs 4.9.

My overall impression needs to be in context: I ride in the desert, rocks, etc, and wanted a more substantial armor - not a minimalist one. I also wanted the "shirt" to fit well, and wanted the plastics and overall quality to be above average. Most of the armor sold is cheap, cheap, cheap, but these are very well made, fit well, and have excellent protection. The mold quality, plastic compound, sewing, zippers, etc. are about the best I have seen. But they are not thin or light.

I also have a Cosmo. It is a clever design and I wanted to like it, But the execution of it is poor. Fit has issues, right side does not have same alignment as left, and - get this - the plastic straps that go over the shoulders have sharp edges (one literally cut the side of my neck in a bail). Plus it is hard to not feel ridiculous with the silly 1/4 shirt.

I do not like soft padding for armor. It does well in tests, and it is great in the showroom. Lighter, cheaper to build, and no mold costs. But I don't like it, I prefer a combination of hard / soft materials for impact management.

For a low profile model, there are several that are good. I like the Thor Impact Rig, it has a few things that are smart: 1 piece chest (no split in the middle), good plastic compound, great "shirt" fabric, good fit, and I really like the fact that the kidney belt can be removed.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

BP
Brtp4
2/4/2012 8:15am
Brtp4 wrote:
ab5772 wrote:
Also, what size are you wearing? I'm 5'11"165 lbs.. L/XL?
That size will be loose on you. There are a lot of adjusters on the plastics, so you can cinch them up, but they run a little big. I am 5'11" 220 and the 2X is almost loose on me. If your chest spec is 40, maybe 41 or less, I would try the S/M.

BP
ab5772
2/4/2012 10:19am
Thanks for the info BP. That's what I was looking for. I'll be using it for desert racing as well. I'm glad I decided against the Cosmo. I wasn't really a fan of the way it worked with the Leatt. Having to tuck the back part under the jersey seemed kind of weird and bothersome.

Now I just need to find a shop who has the Body Protector, so I can try one on.
Brtp4
2/4/2012 10:24am
ab5772 wrote:
Thanks for the info BP. That's what I was looking for. I'll be using it for desert racing as well. I'm glad I decided against the...
Thanks for the info BP. That's what I was looking for. I'll be using it for desert racing as well. I'm glad I decided against the Cosmo. I wasn't really a fan of the way it worked with the Leatt. Having to tuck the back part under the jersey seemed kind of weird and bothersome.

Now I just need to find a shop who has the Body Protector, so I can try one on.
AB, get me your actual chest measurement and I will try to get you sorted Monday.

BP
Titan1
2/4/2012 10:29am
Brtp4 wrote:
ab5772 wrote:
I've been wearing my Leatt with a traditional plastic chest protector for years (desert racing). This year I was thinking of trying one of the "jacket"...

2 - Under jersey

TLD UPS Shirt
Brtp4 wrote:
abs, 1. It is fully Leatt compatible. You remove parts on the chest and the upper back that the brace "nests" in. 2. You wear it...
abs,

1. It is fully Leatt compatible. You remove parts on the chest and the upper back that the brace "nests" in.
2. You wear it under the jersey, then the jersey, then the Leatt. This is important...some armor that is "compatible" requires slipping the brace under it, and when you add a jersey to the mix it does not work.
3. It is definitely more bulky that most other models. This is a design choice, the Leatt has much more substantial padding than any of the other protectors discussed here. Plastics are thicker also. For reference, my Thor Impact Rig SE weighs 3.2 lbs...my Leatt weighs 4.9.

My overall impression needs to be in context: I ride in the desert, rocks, etc, and wanted a more substantial armor - not a minimalist one. I also wanted the "shirt" to fit well, and wanted the plastics and overall quality to be above average. Most of the armor sold is cheap, cheap, cheap, but these are very well made, fit well, and have excellent protection. The mold quality, plastic compound, sewing, zippers, etc. are about the best I have seen. But they are not thin or light.

I also have a Cosmo. It is a clever design and I wanted to like it, But the execution of it is poor. Fit has issues, right side does not have same alignment as left, and - get this - the plastic straps that go over the shoulders have sharp edges (one literally cut the side of my neck in a bail). Plus it is hard to not feel ridiculous with the silly 1/4 shirt.

I do not like soft padding for armor. It does well in tests, and it is great in the showroom. Lighter, cheaper to build, and no mold costs. But I don't like it, I prefer a combination of hard / soft materials for impact management.

For a low profile model, there are several that are good. I like the Thor Impact Rig, it has a few things that are smart: 1 piece chest (no split in the middle), good plastic compound, great "shirt" fabric, good fit, and I really like the fact that the kidney belt can be removed.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

BP
How do you think the Fox jacket compares? (I noticed you guys don't sell them...and you only test what you sell, I assume...so I wasn't sure if that is why you didn't mention it-no first hand experience-or if you just don't like it and don't think it compares).

I don't have a ton of experience with these things...I tried the A-Stars and Thor jackets...and went back to the Fox. I don't wear a Leatt brace though, and if I did (and had an extra $100) I'd probably get the Leatt too...they look sa-weet. Thanks for your insight.
Brtp4
2/4/2012 10:42am
I have not ridden in the Titan, only tried it on. I think it is similar to the Thor, which is to say good. The padding is a little thin, but the profile and weight are low. It seemed comfortable. One thing for me, I really lean towards the one piece front plates. They are less commercial and harder to sell, but offer better sternum protection.

BP
mxer613
2/4/2012 12:04pm
I tried the EVS G6 yesterday at Motosport Hillsboro, not bad, its new and designed for use with the Leatt, they seem to be on the small side, I'm 5'11" 205# and the 2xl fit pretty good. I guess the older I get the more paranoid of injury, I'm wearing screws and plates, don't really need anymore.
RedRacer
2/5/2012 8:03am
Brtp4 wrote:
I'm trying to choose between the leatt full body protector and the leatt vest protector, the last full body armour i used -I think it was TLD- was really restrictive to shoulder movement, how did you find the shoulder plates on the leatt body protector?
Brtp4
2/5/2012 8:43am
From a general perspective (hopefully not too much my opinion) there are two types of riders: those like like this type of armor, and those that feel it is too restrictive. Generally off road guys (who ride unpredictable terrain) like it, moto guys (who ride predictable terrain) do not.

The Leatt is similar to other close-body armor. I can't compare it to the TLD for movement. I chose it because I feel it has better plastic and more padding.

I get what you are saying, Not to confuse things, but I have been wearing the body vest (chest / back only) with this:

http://www.atomic-moto.com/Rockgardn-Flak-Jacket-Base_p_528.html

Hopefully the description will make some sense.

BP
RedRacer
2/5/2012 9:26am
Thanks for the advise brtp, up until now ive been using a 661 core saver which is advertised as leatt compatible but still pushes it a little too high, other than that though I barely noticed I was wearing it so I think i'll give the leatt vest a try.
YZ125H1
2/5/2012 10:00am
I really wish they made a consumer version of roczens setup up thats exactly what i am looking for. I was thinking about buying one and modifying it but worried i screw it up and be down $100. I really like the Leatt system too but its really expensive.
Brtp4
2/6/2012 10:32am
YZ125H1 wrote:
I really wish they made a consumer version of roczens setup up thats exactly what i am looking for. I was thinking about buying one and...
I really wish they made a consumer version of roczens setup up thats exactly what i am looking for. I was thinking about buying one and modifying it but worried i screw it up and be down $100. I really like the Leatt system too but its really expensive.
One thing about it, the armor pieces are not in the correct position. This is hard to nail down correctly, some protectors do, some do not.

BP
ab5772
2/10/2012 4:51pm
I'm still contemplating this one. I'm just not sure about the lack of traditional hard plastic. It "seems" like it would work pretty well and the fit is great. All pads are removable and it works well with the Leatt. I still haven't found a place in SLC to see the Leatt Body Protector in person.

Post a reply to: Protection jackets?

The Latest