Pros used to dress for the crash

The Rock
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2015 3:27pm

How did upper body protection go out of fashion? The tracks certainly haven't become easier nor have the bikes become less powerful.

|
Tpog496
1/26/2015 9:43am
We all wear under jersey chest protectors now my man.
Uncle Tony
1/26/2015 9:45am
Maybe the tracks are better prepared then in the 80's and 90's? Binghamton and unadilla were rock fests back in the day
pete24
1/26/2015 9:52am
i have FAT under my jersey that protects my organs
ML512
Fantasy
45th
1/26/2015 9:53am
Rock, you've been beating the body protection drum heavy lately. Keep in to one topic please? Smile

The Shop

pete24
1/26/2015 9:55am
and i think the 55 is mike jones
ATKpilot99
1/26/2015 9:59am
There's a pic somewhere of a custom under protector kroc had that combined a fox air frame with some sort of spine protection.
Darryl916
1/26/2015 10:14am Edited Date/Time 1/26/2015 10:25am
The Rock wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/01/26/78083/s1200_91163_trivia.jpg[/img] How did upper body protection go out of fashion? The tracks certainly haven't become easier nor have the bikes become less powerful.

How did upper body protection go out of fashion? The tracks certainly haven't become easier nor have the bikes become less powerful.

Because I don't think "chest protectors" are meant to or effectively prevent MAJOR injury in a crash. I think they are meant to stop us from getting pelted with roost. If the dirt is soft with no rocks, no need for a "chest protector". To me chest protector and roost guard are synonymous.

If you want true torso protection from crash impact you'd have to wear something like the EVS body suits and the like. TP199 wears them under his gear before doing some crazy stunt. Not practical for moto in my opinion.

With that said, wear what makes you feel comfortable.
Titan1
1/26/2015 10:15am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
There's a pic somewhere of a custom under protector kroc had that combined a fox air frame with some sort of spine protection.
It was a hybrid Air frame/Titan body armor set up...and pretty sweet!
Titan1
1/26/2015 10:16am
Tpog496 wrote:
Under jersey protectors are dressing for roost...not dressing for the crash.
gt80rider
1/26/2015 10:20am
Years ago there was a long nasty thread on FD on real protection after numerous pros got knocked out for the season.. . It is easy to mod hockey gear to give real protection for mx, yet nobody does it... For us joe blows it means missed days at work, just like with the pros... We all come up with reasons not to wear real protection simply to be fashionable, then suffer through another injury or bitch about yet another pro missing a bunch of races...
Titan1
1/26/2015 10:30am
gt80rider wrote:
Years ago there was a long nasty thread on FD on real protection after numerous pros got knocked out for the season.. . It is easy...
Years ago there was a long nasty thread on FD on real protection after numerous pros got knocked out for the season.. . It is easy to mod hockey gear to give real protection for mx, yet nobody does it... For us joe blows it means missed days at work, just like with the pros... We all come up with reasons not to wear real protection simply to be fashionable, then suffer through another injury or bitch about yet another pro missing a bunch of races...
Very true...it never occurred to me to modify Hockey Gear (hockey just isn't on my radar)...but I wear the Fox Titan body armor, knee/shin guards, helmet, boots, goggles, etc. I'm covered in plastic everywhere but between my knees and my waste...and I will walk away from most crashes without a scratch or bruise...were people without all the armor would be covered in bruises road rash, etc. I don't like getting hurt...so I wear as much as I can, and it DOES help.
Darryl916
1/26/2015 10:39am
There is also the vests you see a lot of the young kids wear. I imagine these would prevent taking a bar to the gut or something along with blocking roost. Might be pretty hot though with very little air circulation.

http://motoxvest.com/

Hgibbs566
1/26/2015 10:53am Edited Date/Time 1/26/2015 11:51am
Plenty of pros are wearing more protection now then back in your good days.
Just need to pull your head out of the sand and you'll realize people wear full faced helmets that are far enough away from your face when you crash to not destroy your nose/mouth.
And
A neck brace that has some science behind it that's not just a donut on your quarter inch plastic turd of a "chest protector".
And
Under protection, under the jersey, that is far better than the quarter inch plastic strapped around you with a bungie cord.
And
Knee braces that don't break your femur nearly as much.
And
Boots that have vastly improved.

Some racers are even wearing things to keep their shoulders from dislocating, and Baggett and Barcia are even wearing wrist braces.

Things have improved and need to continue to improve, but to think people wore more and better protection back in the day is ignoring the real picture infront of your eyes.

Do all riders wear it, no But not every ond wore full faced helmets when they came out, and not everyone wore all the protection available "back in the day either."
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
1/26/2015 10:53am
Isn't this the same thread as the one you started a few days ago when you asked if injuries can be prevented by wearing protection?
DoctorJD
1/26/2015 10:58am
Tpog496 wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
Tpog496 wrote:
Not true they have came a long ways in terms of crash protection.

http://www.motosport.com/troy-lee-designs-shock-doctor-cp5900-chest-pro…
I just got one of those, wore it for the first time yesterday. Really like the fit/comfort. Hopefully I won't have to give you guys the crash test results.
HenryA
1/26/2015 11:00am
These are actually really great and they don't have the bulky feeling that everyone hates. And it features a kidney belt and a solid back protector too.

tomm55x
1/26/2015 11:21am
HenryA wrote:
These are actually really great and they don't have the bulky feeling that everyone hates. And it features a kidney belt and a solid back protector...
These are actually really great and they don't have the bulky feeling that everyone hates. And it features a kidney belt and a solid back protector too.

Is that all one piece? If so could you tell me the model name, I couldn't find it on leatts website, I do like the idea of a under shirt and chest protection all in one package if that's the case.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
1/26/2015 11:39am
The Rock wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/01/26/78083/s1200_91163_trivia.jpg[/img] How did upper body protection go out of fashion? The tracks certainly haven't become easier nor have the bikes become less powerful.

Rock you are not any better than Nerd. Maybe the two of you can start your own forum and you can both beat your own drums all day long so the rest of us wont have to suffer. So in the words of Motley Crue, don't go away mad, JUST GO AWAY.
JG2
1/26/2015 11:50am
That exact model of Leatt Adventure Vest probably saved me from a massively serious injury when a guy landed on me over a blind uphill jump in the fall. As it was I fractured 2 vertebrae...like getting hit by a truck from behind.

I was doing some research after my crash and found out they make one that has slightly more back protection, I believe it is called the 5.5 Pro HD or something like that. I'm buying it.

I really like the Adventure Vest though - easy to put on, slightly hotter under the jersey but not that bad (though I ride in Canada...not sure what it would be like in SoCal).and decent amount of protection.
mxb2
1/26/2015 11:51am
ML512 wrote:
Rock, you've been beating the body protection drum heavy lately. Keep in to one topic please? Smile
X2, they are adults and can make their own decisions.
bigborefan
1/26/2015 11:56am Edited Date/Time 1/26/2015 11:57am
I was always told, chest protectors are too restrictive. Those pros do get in some awkward potions on the bike. They are part gymnast.

Me personally, the older I get, the more I gear up.
HenryA
1/26/2015 12:01pm Edited Date/Time 1/26/2015 12:03pm
tomm55x wrote:
Is that all one piece? If so could you tell me the model name, I couldn't find it on leatts website, I do like the idea...
Is that all one piece? If so could you tell me the model name, I couldn't find it on leatts website, I do like the idea of a under shirt and chest protection all in one package if that's the case.
I couldn't fit it either but BTO has a few left and they are actually on sale right now. Hurry up and get one. Smile

http://www.btosports.com/p/LEATT-ADVENTURE-BODY-VEST

Edit:
Seems like the Body vest 5.5 is replacing the Adventure vest.
http://www.leatt.com/shop/body-protection/upper-body-hard-shell/upper-b…
IWreckALot
1/26/2015 12:10pm
seth505 wrote:
Isn't this the same thread as the one you started a few days ago when you asked if injuries can be prevented by wearing protection?
Yeah, but we didn't come to a solid decision whether you can prevent injuries with protective gear or not. We needed to hash it out some more. Alas, here we are.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
1/26/2015 12:19pm
Tpog496 wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
In the picture Rock posted, most of those guys have on 1/2 protectors. Front roost protection only, no back or full shoulders. Tpog was correctly pointing out that those "roost protectors" are now worn under the jersey.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
662nd
1/26/2015 12:46pm
Yes, Grape is right most are wearing half protection. But the funny thing is, back then, everyone had the same discussion of why they only wore front and not front and back protection.
Bodieg3
1/26/2015 12:56pm
Hgibbs566 wrote:
Plenty of pros are wearing more protection now then back in your good days. Just need to pull your head out of the sand and you'll...
Plenty of pros are wearing more protection now then back in your good days.
Just need to pull your head out of the sand and you'll realize people wear full faced helmets that are far enough away from your face when you crash to not destroy your nose/mouth.
And
A neck brace that has some science behind it that's not just a donut on your quarter inch plastic turd of a "chest protector".
And
Under protection, under the jersey, that is far better than the quarter inch plastic strapped around you with a bungie cord.
And
Knee braces that don't break your femur nearly as much.
And
Boots that have vastly improved.

Some racers are even wearing things to keep their shoulders from dislocating, and Baggett and Barcia are even wearing wrist braces.

Things have improved and need to continue to improve, but to think people wore more and better protection back in the day is ignoring the real picture infront of your eyes.

Do all riders wear it, no But not every ond wore full faced helmets when they came out, and not everyone wore all the protection available "back in the day either."
Do you have link to whatever they use to keep shoulder n place ? I need one bad ! I'm not against wearing proctection but at time my neck brace is in closet n roost protection is loaned out . I've found that without them on I have much more flexibility n range and without all the gear on I don't take near as many risk = fewer injuries
davistld01
1/26/2015 12:56pm Edited Date/Time 1/26/2015 12:57pm
pete24 wrote:
i have FAT under my jersey that protects my organs
DAMN!!! I just spit my triple-cheeseburger, large fries and giant milkshake lunch across the room at that one!! Woohoo

theToothPerry
1/26/2015 1:04pm
People like myself feel more in control without being constricted by upper body armor. If you feel uncomfortable there is probably a higher chance youre gonna use that shining armor on the ground. Same can be said about neck braces which seems to have been a fad.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
662nd
1/26/2015 1:08pm
You guys can argue all you want. You will never convince me that a chest protector does not protect you from more than just roost. I posted this before but here are pics from a 5th gear endo into a rock bed. I flipped in the air and landed in a rock garden of 6 inch rocks with jagged edges with the back of my shoulder and flat onto my back, a couple of rolls and the bike hitting me in the back and running me over. It literally tore my damn pants off me. Other than a concussion and a broken finger I was unscathed. I would have been a mess if not for the chest protector. I don't wear fox gear, but I do wear a fox airframe. The protector with the most protection on the market IMO. I shopped around a lot trying to find one that gave shoulder impact protection and crush protection of you were run over. I think its the best for what I was looking for.

Post a reply to: Pros used to dress for the crash

The Latest