Pro's and Health Insurance?

Xracer
1/23/2016 8:20am Edited Date/Time 1/24/2016 11:34pm
The early rash of injuries this year (and every year I suppose) got me thinking; How are pro, non-privateer riders insured? Is it baked into their employment deal like you and I? Do they have their own self-funded policies? It's obviously in the best interest of their employers that they have and maintain top-notch insurance, right? I don't know why I care...just curious I guess. I pay a premium for insurance because my Wife takes anti-anxiety meds. I can't imagine what it would cost to say "I'm a pro supercross racer almost guaranteed to rack up a laundry list of injuries over the next 9 or 10 years, and I need a quote for health insurance"

|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
1/23/2016 8:48am
I believe all the riders are contractors and health insurance is on them. It's a tax right off. I wouldn't be surprised if they also had disability insurance to cover their salary if they get hurt.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
1/23/2016 8:53am
Xracer wrote:
The early rash of injuries this year (and every year I suppose) got me thinking; How are pro, non-privateer riders insured? Is it baked into their...
The early rash of injuries this year (and every year I suppose) got me thinking; How are pro, non-privateer riders insured? Is it baked into their employment deal like you and I? Do they have their own self-funded policies? It's obviously in the best interest of their employers that they have and maintain top-notch insurance, right? I don't know why I care...just curious I guess. I pay a premium for insurance because my Wife takes anti-anxiety meds. I can't imagine what it would cost to say "I'm a pro supercross racer almost guaranteed to rack up a laundry list of injuries over the next 9 or 10 years, and I need a quote for health insurance"

Riders are all contractors and responsible for their own health insurance.
mxb2
1/23/2016 8:59am Edited Date/Time 1/23/2016 8:59am
I wonder what % of riders have it.?, I see alot of go fund me accounts for medical bills.
jjavaman
Fantasy
3706th
1/23/2016 9:12am
Free healthcare is great. I had a bad crash last February (broken pelvis and thumb) didn't cost me a penny except for the $70 ambulance ride. I'm lucky that I have extended benefits which payed my wages when I was healing!

The Shop

aeffertz
1/23/2016 9:23am
jjavaman wrote:
Free healthcare is great. I had a bad crash last February (broken pelvis and thumb) didn't cost me a penny except for the $70 ambulance ride...
Free healthcare is great. I had a bad crash last February (broken pelvis and thumb) didn't cost me a penny except for the $70 ambulance ride. I'm lucky that I have extended benefits which payed my wages when I was healing!
Jealous. Broke a bone in my hand a few months ago that required a cast and it cost me $2,000. I have health insurance, too.
rrdecals
1/23/2016 10:09am
Kids can stay on parents policy til 26 with obamacare. Privateer wise this is what is done, adding Aflac was well helps. Aflac will cover practicing and AMA has insurance that helps with race day crashes.
cmarona463
1/23/2016 10:25am
I'm not 100% sure if it is still the case, but I know that a few years ago, if an injury occurred for a pro during an event (supercross or motocross) they were covered under the AMA's insurance policy (which I would absolutely not want to see the bill for). Practice track crashes and just general sickness were the responsibility of the rider.
Xracer
1/23/2016 10:29am
When I added a secondary life insurance policy a few years ago, riding motorcycles and flying airplanes was definitely a pre-existing condition and the price went up a LOT if I wanted to be insured for punching out during either of those activities.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1864th
1/23/2016 10:29am
rrdecals wrote:
Kids can stay on parents policy til 26 with obamacare. Privateer wise this is what is done, adding Aflac was well helps. Aflac will cover practicing...
Kids can stay on parents policy til 26 with obamacare. Privateer wise this is what is done, adding Aflac was well helps. Aflac will cover practicing and AMA has insurance that helps with race day crashes.
Aflac covers racing as well these days. You can't do the group policy though... You have to do an individual one.
John250
1/23/2016 10:31am
I am a broker and represent over 30 voluntary carriers. Be careful on your "Aflac" and other voluntary carrier accident policies. Many of them have language in he policy that states, "a test of speed on a closed course". They then consider practicing on a motocross track, a "test of speed".

With that being said, MANY claims are paid from guys having motocross injuries. But I have also seen claims denied because an ambulance report states, Joe Smith was transported from ABC MX.

Many riders could be covered by a spouses insurance plan. Younger riders could be on a parents policy. But at the end of the day, if they need to get their own individual health policy, at their young age, and good health it would not be too awful expensive.
1/23/2016 12:33pm
So much nonsense that needs to be worked out, but it seems like there's no way for real world input to affect policy making at this point in our democratic structure which is the real shame.

I'm glad people in need can get the care they need, but it's no where near the standards or level of care that should be there for what it is, and it shouldn't have any implications that effect " Others. " because one uses it or not... We're finally progressing into a modern form of democracy and the people's will is being more directly represented through the political process year by year.

it'll come.

1/23/2016 12:56pm
Xracer wrote:
The early rash of injuries this year (and every year I suppose) got me thinking; How are pro, non-privateer riders insured? Is it baked into their...

ML512 wrote:
Riders are all contractors and responsible for their own health insurance.
Up to 26 They are covered by their parents.
Clutchy
1/23/2016 1:22pm
Riders and health insurance go together like peanut butter and tuna fish.
tprice07
1/23/2016 1:44pm Edited Date/Time 1/23/2016 1:46pm
jjavaman wrote:
Free healthcare is great. I had a bad crash last February (broken pelvis and thumb) didn't cost me a penny except for the $70 ambulance ride...
aeffertz wrote:
Jealous. Broke a bone in my hand a few months ago that required a cast and it cost me $2,000. I have health insurance, too.
jjavaman and aeffertz thank you for posting.

Unfortunately, a lot of people still believe in a private system that pays healthcare CEO's as much as $30 million per year and absurd premiums/deductables/co-pays etc.

I'm sorry that you had to pay $2,000 on top of, I would assume, roughly $5,000 in premiums. At what point is that even insurance? I'd much rather put that $30 million from the CEO's into the pot to cover the real costs of coverage.

Anyhow, sorry about the political talk. I know a lot of my fellow Vitalists are conservative. Feel free to educate me if you see any ignorance in my statement.

Healthcare CEO Salaries
Grizz
1/23/2016 2:44pm
mxb2 wrote:
I wonder what % of riders have it.?, I see alot of go fund me accounts for medical bills.
You have to show proof to even get your MX license and I'm sure Supercross is the same. Obviously you could just get the cheapest that doesn't pay for anything just to have it.
Grizz
1/23/2016 2:48pm
This.
c3011
1/23/2016 5:46pm
I don't know if it's the same now, but in the 90's & early 2000's there were a lot of rumors of pros racing with no insurance even some factory guys.
kkawboy14
1/24/2016 10:02am
I thought the ama gives them some insurance
Sandberm
1/24/2016 10:12am
Grizz wrote:
This.
They are eligible to be on their parents plan. Doesnt mean they are or their parents can continue to pay the extra costs to have their ADULT off-spring on their plan.

I know I sure as hell dont want to pay my 22 year olds premium in addition to me and my wifes $532/ month.
rucka356
1/24/2016 10:34am
jjavaman wrote:
aeffertz wrote:
tprice07 wrote:
jjavaman and aeffertz thank you for posting. Unfortunately, a lot of people still believe in a private system that pays healthcare CEO's as much as $30...

Unfortunately, a lot of people still believe in a private system that pays healthcare CEO's as much as $30 million per year and absurd premiums/deductables/co-pays etc.

I'm sorry that you had to pay $2,000 on top of, I would assume, roughly $5,000 in premiums. At what point is that even insurance? I'd much rather put that $30 million from the CEO's into the pot to cover the real costs of coverage.

Anyhow, sorry about the political talk. I know a lot of my fellow Vitalists are conservative. Feel free to educate me if you see any ignorance in my statement.

Healthcare CEO Salaries
Because CEOs always take pay cuts rather than pass the cost to the consumer right? Health insurance is not even insurance now unless you end up going to the hospital. Everytime you go to te dr it cost you $100 minimum. I'd like my $20 copay back and affordable monthly premiums. But I'm happy for everyone that can ride dirt bikes and not have to pay $500 month for health insurance. It will help grow our sport hahaha
PFitzG38
1/24/2016 11:19am
aeffertz wrote:
tprice07 wrote:
jjavaman and aeffertz thank you for posting. Unfortunately, a lot of people still believe in a private system that pays healthcare CEO's as much as $30...

Healthcare CEO Salaries
rucka356 wrote:
Because CEOs always take pay cuts rather than pass the cost to the consumer right? Health insurance is not even insurance now unless you end up...
Because CEOs always take pay cuts rather than pass the cost to the consumer right? Health insurance is not even insurance now unless you end up going to the hospital. Everytime you go to te dr it cost you $100 minimum. I'd like my $20 copay back and affordable monthly premiums. But I'm happy for everyone that can ride dirt bikes and not have to pay $500 month for health insurance. It will help grow our sport hahaha
tprice ease up on the common sense, this is Vital. And don't worry rucka your $20 copays and then some will be coming back soon enough I think. The ACA is very much a work in progress.
APLMAN99
1/24/2016 11:55am
Xracer wrote:
When I added a secondary life insurance policy a few years ago, riding motorcycles and flying airplanes was definitely a pre-existing condition and the price went...
When I added a secondary life insurance policy a few years ago, riding motorcycles and flying airplanes was definitely a pre-existing condition and the price went up a LOT if I wanted to be insured for punching out during either of those activities.
Neither would be a pre-existing condition.

They'd likely be called exclusionary activities.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
360th
1/24/2016 11:55am
tprice07 wrote:

Healthcare CEO Salaries
rucka356 wrote:
Because CEOs always take pay cuts rather than pass the cost to the consumer right? Health insurance is not even insurance now unless you end up...
PFitzG38 wrote:
tprice ease up on the common sense, this is Vital. And don't worry rucka your $20 copays and then some will be coming back soon enough...
tprice ease up on the common sense, this is Vital. And don't worry rucka your $20 copays and then some will be coming back soon enough I think. The ACA is very much a work in progress.
1) Obamacare was created in a framework that ultimately collapses and thus the govt bail it out with a single payer system - the liberal political end game. It is unsustainable on it's own financially. If you don't understand this, you fall under the category of "stupid American public" - Gruber's (the architect of Obamacare) own words, not mine.

2) While Healthcare CEO salaries are ridiculous, so are NFL CEO salaries, University President's/executives, Oil executive salaries, etc etc - that has little or no financial bearing on the cost of healthcare to a single individual or a family. The cost of an individual's healthcare is driven by many various factors - many of which could be resolved by addressing TORT and allowing inter-state competition, but this doesn't fit the political end game of many people. I now have the exact same Healthcare insurance company as I had before Obamacare - and my premiums are roughly double what they were before and I have had to find different doctors to get medical care.

3) I don't "race" dirt bikes because it is clearly spelled out in my life insurance policy I am not covered if I die as a result during a race. I am allowed to "ride", just not "race". I would love to race, but I have too much family and business responsibility to others that prevent me from making that decision.
Rdubs19
1/24/2016 12:30pm
Bingo. Insurance competing across state lines would have an enormous, positive impact. Also, removing the mandatory coverages from private insurance policies which make premiums skyrocket.
Unfortunately, neither of these things is ever going to happen. The lobbyists preventing competition are impenetrable. And removing mandatory coverages for this and that condition would be a shit show because average to below average people, who cannot possibly read or understand a complex contract designed to screw them, would get eaten alive.
Nobody stands to benefit from true, nationwide, free market competition in health insurance except for intelligent taxpayers who do not need outside help to avoid being ripped off. Which is to say that it can not, and will not ever happen.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
360th
1/24/2016 12:36pm
Rdubs19 wrote:
Bingo. Insurance competing across state lines would have an enormous, positive impact. Also, removing the mandatory coverages from private insurance policies which make premiums skyrocket. Unfortunately...
Bingo. Insurance competing across state lines would have an enormous, positive impact. Also, removing the mandatory coverages from private insurance policies which make premiums skyrocket.
Unfortunately, neither of these things is ever going to happen. The lobbyists preventing competition are impenetrable. And removing mandatory coverages for this and that condition would be a shit show because average to below average people, who cannot possibly read or understand a complex contract designed to screw them, would get eaten alive.
Nobody stands to benefit from true, nationwide, free market competition in health insurance except for intelligent taxpayers who do not need outside help to avoid being ripped off. Which is to say that it can not, and will not ever happen.
Agreed 100%. And as a side note, I truly don't expect anyone under the age of 30 to understand these issues. If they do, they are by far an exception, not the norm.
APLMAN99
1/24/2016 12:51pm
The ACA may be the best thing that ever happened to pro mxers. As private business persons they likely "write off" a huge deal of expenses and show very little "net income" They probably have little trouble qualifying for large subsidies so it's likely that their premiums are very low or maybe even nonexistent. Couple that with no medical underwriting and it's probably infinitely better for them than it was 5 years ago.
h&m_cycle
1/24/2016 1:14pm Edited Date/Time 1/24/2016 1:15pm
RIDER MEDICAL
What is the coverage?
As AMA Pro Racing professionally licensed athletes, our Lucas Oil Pro Motocross participants are covered by the AMA Pro Racing Rider Excess Medical Policy.ƒ‚

The program provides coverage of up to $50,000 in medical bills.ƒ‚ Death and dismemberment coverage is $10,000. There is no deductible.ƒ‚ Participants are solely responsible for any unpaid balances.

The coverage is secondary to a participantƒ’s primary insurance.ƒ‚ In the event a participant has no coverage, the policy would be primary.

Who is covered?
The program provides coverage for AMA Pro Racing members, including but not limited to riders, officials and credentialed mechanics.ƒ‚ The program does not apply to any participant not licensed by AMA Pro Racing or to ATVMX or WMX licensed riders and crew members.

http://mxsportsproracing.com/pages/rider-medical
Grizz
1/24/2016 6:29pm
Grizz wrote:
This.
Sandberm wrote:
They are eligible to be on their parents plan. Doesnt mean they are or their parents can continue to pay the extra costs to have their...
They are eligible to be on their parents plan. Doesnt mean they are or their parents can continue to pay the extra costs to have their ADULT off-spring on their plan.

I know I sure as hell dont want to pay my 22 year olds premium in addition to me and my wifes $532/ month.
I'm simply saying that most privateers would be in this boat.
JeepnMike
1/24/2016 11:34pm
jjavaman wrote:
aeffertz wrote:
What you failed to notice, and anybody else quoting jjavaman, was that he is Canadian.... Grinning He has stealthily not responded to this, probably laughing a bit too.

Post a reply to: Pro's and Health Insurance?

The Latest