Pro's Making Money

me_da_racer
Edited Date/Time 10/30/2014 7:39pm
I remember back in the day it seemed like a lot of "Pro" riders that where back markers at the nationals and Supercross would make money racing smaller races. There was a guy who was from close to me who would just hit races on the weekend. Like every weekend he was somewhere different. I know he didn't make a lot of money but he got by. Does that happen anymore? Do local pro's still do that? All I see are guys staying in the B class trying to get some kind of ride.
|
bigborefan
10/28/2014 8:22pm
MX is just like the rest of the economy. Only about 1% are making any money.
Grizz
10/28/2014 8:36pm Edited Date/Time 10/28/2014 8:39pm
I wish I would have kept track of the purse money I've earned this year but it varied from $20-$200+ a weekend (nearly every weekend from march to october) depending on payout and finishes obviously. So basically I just raced for free or very cheap each weekend (if you only figure in race fees which were $60-$120 depending on if I was racing 2 or 3 classes and what district the race was in).

Other than purse money, I made $1,100 from the Pennsylvania State Championship (3rd 250 A - $300, 4th Open A - $200, 3rd 250 A triple crown - $300, 3rd Open A triple crown - $300).

We bought an RM-Z250 for the contingency money and I ended up getting $925 in 7 races (I raced it in 250 A and Collegeboy).

So did I make money? No, but I actually exceeded my expectations for the year. I wasn't going racing with the thought of making any money so it's nice to make some back.
me_da_racer
10/28/2014 10:37pm
That is cool to hear that you could offset the cost.
10/29/2014 3:54am Edited Date/Time 10/29/2014 3:55am
Get yourself a 2% cash back rewards credit card and you're getting paid to Charge fuel.......as long as you pay off the card before they can whap you with 24.47% interest.

As far as pros making money......Very, very, very few are making money.

The Shop

Bressler11
10/29/2014 5:33am
I remember back in the day it seemed like a lot of "Pro" riders that where back markers at the nationals and Supercross would make money...
I remember back in the day it seemed like a lot of "Pro" riders that where back markers at the nationals and Supercross would make money racing smaller races. There was a guy who was from close to me who would just hit races on the weekend. Like every weekend he was somewhere different. I know he didn't make a lot of money but he got by. Does that happen anymore? Do local pro's still do that? All I see are guys staying in the B class trying to get some kind of ride.
Mike Alessi Just did it at Hog Heaven...
O___o
10/29/2014 5:37am
There are guys in the top 20 at the AMA pro nationals who are paying to be on the gate. With that being said, I don't know why moto dads and redneck kids still consider this sport a viable career path and not what it truly is...a hobby.
hillbilly
10/29/2014 6:03am
Before contingency if I had money to buy gas to make it home I felt rich.

In 2000 and 01 husky was paying 450 bucks for 4str class and 350 for 30 plus in the megaseries.

I won both classes almkst ever weekend and some other series I hit. Amassed 22 or 24 K in those 2 years

They cut it in half in 02. If the factory had not been flooded in Italy things would been different in 02 i think.
dgmx
10/29/2014 6:55am
locally i make between $200-$400 after entry fees and gas, so about $800-$1600 a month
pete24
10/29/2014 7:06am
know how to make a small fortune racing mx?

start with a big one
NV/HC!
10/29/2014 8:12am
I would think it is still possible for fair amount of pro's to make decent money racing regionally. It seemed like Weston Peick did that in 2013. Racing the SX series and then the national's he could make as well as other money races. I remember watching LOTS of pros do this on the west coast when I was growing. Guys like Rick Ryan, Dean Matson, Scott Meyers, Rusty Holland, etc.
I'm sure the money was better then, but still possible to do now. I think MX has gotten so polarized that it's either the weekend warrior who isn't serious (which is great by the way) or every decently fast kid thinking he will be the next Ricky Carmichael and having a big hauler, too many bikes, too much overhead and a small amount of talent and drive. Those guys I saw doing it showed up in a box van, van, truck with a bike for each class that usually wasn't the best looking thing but ran good and got them contingency money.
A lot of the younger faster crowd are more about the image of being a pro motocross racer. There's many levels of being a pro, and sometimes you have to find where your talent lies and maximize it. Not everyone will be a Ken Roczen but you can still make some money.
kawirider819
10/29/2014 8:47am
O___o wrote:
There are guys in the top 20 at the AMA pro nationals who are paying to be on the gate. With that being said, I don't...
There are guys in the top 20 at the AMA pro nationals who are paying to be on the gate. With that being said, I don't know why moto dads and redneck kids still consider this sport a viable career path and not what it truly is...a hobby.
While I agree, without those moto dad's there would be no Pro Nationals/Supercross.
hvaughn88
10/29/2014 8:52am
O___o wrote:
There are guys in the top 20 at the AMA pro nationals who are paying to be on the gate. With that being said, I don't...
While I agree, without those moto dad's there would be no Pro Nationals/Supercross.
I disagree. There would be people that do it as a hobby and then realize they can turn pro when it's time to turn pro instead of being "groomed from the womb"
O___o
10/29/2014 9:15am
O___o wrote:

regarding moto-dads, Brad Lackey moved behind the Iron Curtain at 16 years old to race a CZ, by himself. These days, a 16 year old can't put his iPhone down long enough to even learn how to tighten his own chain so he can go out and sandbag the shit out of B-class. If that's any indicator of the quality of the modern moto-dad, they deserve the Tony Alessi Trophy.
tbright80
10/29/2014 9:40am
Victory-Sports Indoor series pays $700-750 per main event win with four mains each round and there is six rounds in the series. If you race a Suzuki in the series then it is $200 per main event win, so $800 per round.

Main Event Wins: (4)
Payout per main: ($700)
Number of rounds: (6)
Suzuki contingency: ($800 x 6)
Gross Income : ($21,600)

If they paid $750 each main event win then you could gross $22,800. Budget correctly and you can profit from $16,000 to 18,000. Not bad for racing a few times in the months of Nov-Feb.

tbright80
10/29/2014 9:50am
Quick note: the purse may have changed for this upcoming race season or possibly last race season. The numbers I used in the post above were from the 2012-2013 race season. After the series concludes, the champion of each pro class gets an additional $1,000.
kawirider819
10/29/2014 10:21am
O___o wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
I disagree. There would be people that do it as a hobby and then realize they can turn pro when it's time to turn pro instead...
I disagree. There would be people that do it as a hobby and then realize they can turn pro when it's time to turn pro instead of being "groomed from the womb"
And how would the sport look if that were the case? You think a parent funding their sons hobby is dropping as much doe as one who's dumping everything into it to it because they think it could be potential career for their child? Certainly not a wise parenting choice but that's alot of money being thrown into the sport.
hvaughn88
10/29/2014 11:21am Edited Date/Time 10/29/2014 11:47am
hvaughn88 wrote:
I disagree. There would be people that do it as a hobby and then realize they can turn pro when it's time to turn pro instead...
And how would the sport look if that were the case? You think a parent funding their sons hobby is dropping as much doe as one...
And how would the sport look if that were the case? You think a parent funding their sons hobby is dropping as much doe as one who's dumping everything into it to it because they think it could be potential career for their child? Certainly not a wise parenting choice but that's alot of money being thrown into the sport.
That's where I disagree. The people that are dumping money into it because they think it's going to be a potential career, are going to be doing that regardless of the circumstance. It's the weekend warrior hobby racers that we are lacking numbers in. They contribute additional money into the sport simply by increased numbers. Here's a brief, basic, unscientific, and non researched illustration of what I mean:

A = kid who's parents think he's the next RC and have an RV to travel it, 5 bikes, yada yada yada. Let's assign them a value of $100
B = weekend warrior who's parents work "regular" jobs and race on the weekend for fun. Let's assign them a value of $50.

So say, (2)A + (1)B = $250, which is an arbitrary value, put whatever you want there. This represents a lack of weekend warriors.

Well now add more weekend warriors and take away an aspiring RC:

(1)A + (4)B = $300, or more money pumped into the sport.

Obviously, I chose rider numbers that support my argument. I'm not pretending like I didn't. But my point is that we are missing out on the weekend warriors, which could account for a large amount of money without having to rely on fewer families financing the dream.

Of course, there are tons of holes in this argument, which I'm sure will be pointed out.

Good lord I need to get back to work, haha
bama205
10/29/2014 7:07pm
bigborefan wrote:
This bullshit, god damn dude give it a rest.
bigborefan
10/29/2014 8:39pm
bigborefan wrote:
bama205 wrote:
I was being nice. i doubt even 1% are making a decent living in MX.

And you disagree that Stewart, Villopoto, Dungey, Roczen, they aren't sucking up the bulk of the MX dollars?

No need to get all spun up Bro.
me_da_racer
10/30/2014 1:57am
hvaughn88 wrote:
And how would the sport look if that were the case? You think a parent funding their sons hobby is dropping as much doe as one...
hvaughn88 wrote:
That's where I disagree. The people that are dumping money into it because they think it's going to be a potential career, are going to be...
That's where I disagree. The people that are dumping money into it because they think it's going to be a potential career, are going to be doing that regardless of the circumstance. It's the weekend warrior hobby racers that we are lacking numbers in. They contribute additional money into the sport simply by increased numbers. Here's a brief, basic, unscientific, and non researched illustration of what I mean:

A = kid who's parents think he's the next RC and have an RV to travel it, 5 bikes, yada yada yada. Let's assign them a value of $100
B = weekend warrior who's parents work "regular" jobs and race on the weekend for fun. Let's assign them a value of $50.

So say, (2)A + (1)B = $250, which is an arbitrary value, put whatever you want there. This represents a lack of weekend warriors.

Obviously, I chose rider numbers that support my argument. I'm not pretending like I didn't. But my point is that we are missing out on the weekend warriors, which could account for a large amount of money without having to rely on fewer families financing the dream.

Of course, there are tons of holes in this argument, which I'm sure will be pointed out.

OK so your point may be true but moto dad keeping up 2-3 race bikes is spending more money to the companies that support our sport. I don't buy new bikes. I don't replace a part I can repair. I don't buy as many tires as they do. I have to say that the moto dads are good for the sport.

O, and we are way off topic. lol I just help highjack my own thread.
bama205
10/30/2014 6:24am Edited Date/Time 10/30/2014 6:25am
bigborefan wrote:
bama205 wrote:
bigborefan wrote:
I was being nice. i doubt even 1% are making a decent living in MX. And you disagree that Stewart, Villopoto, Dungey, Roczen, they aren't sucking...
I was being nice. i doubt even 1% are making a decent living in MX.

And you disagree that Stewart, Villopoto, Dungey, Roczen, they aren't sucking up the bulk of the MX dollars?

No need to get all spun up Bro.
How's that like "the rest of the economy" ? I'm not in the 1% but I'm no broke guy either
Uncle Tony
10/30/2014 6:37am
hvaughn88 wrote:
That's where I disagree. The people that are dumping money into it because they think it's going to be a potential career, are going to be...

OK so your point may be true but moto dad keeping up 2-3 race bikes is spending more money to the companies that support our sport...
OK so your point may be true but moto dad keeping up 2-3 race bikes is spending more money to the companies that support our sport. I don't buy new bikes. I don't replace a part I can repair. I don't buy as many tires as they do. I have to say that the moto dads are good for the sport.

O, and we are way off topic. lol I just help highjack my own thread.
This is true, but to a point, here where I live, some of these moto dads are going so nuts they're losing their homes, a good family and friends of mine lost everything to motocross, I started riding and racing in 1971, I tried hard to talk to the moto dad, but he wouldn't hear me, some person at a training facility kept telling him his son was gonna win lorettas, he sent this facility thousands, the kid ended up with a 39th in one moto and dnfed the other 2,they came home and 2 months later,foreclosure, this happened to 2 other families that I know, I just want to add this, I'm an older guy, and my way of thinking is if you want to get fast, race as much as possible with the best competition, why do these moto dads think their kids need to race just 3 races,the qualifier,the regional, and lorettas? The rest of the year moto dad just takes lap time at a smooth practice track or send junior to a training facility?
bama205
10/30/2014 6:09pm
I Agree. I think they should be doing more racing. If they got their asses kicked more they may be less willing to take out the 3rd mortgage.
TDeath21
10/30/2014 6:38pm
The sport this is most popular in that I'm familiar with is Sprint Car Racing. The equivalent of James Stewart or Ryan Villopoto will show up at random local races sometimes. I've seen a few pros on local tracks around here before. The best either of them did though was 15th in a 250 east main event.
Grizz
10/30/2014 7:22pm
Uncle Tony wrote:
This is true, but to a point, here where I live, some of these moto dads are going so nuts they're losing their homes, a good...
This is true, but to a point, here where I live, some of these moto dads are going so nuts they're losing their homes, a good family and friends of mine lost everything to motocross, I started riding and racing in 1971, I tried hard to talk to the moto dad, but he wouldn't hear me, some person at a training facility kept telling him his son was gonna win lorettas, he sent this facility thousands, the kid ended up with a 39th in one moto and dnfed the other 2,they came home and 2 months later,foreclosure, this happened to 2 other families that I know, I just want to add this, I'm an older guy, and my way of thinking is if you want to get fast, race as much as possible with the best competition, why do these moto dads think their kids need to race just 3 races,the qualifier,the regional, and lorettas? The rest of the year moto dad just takes lap time at a smooth practice track or send junior to a training facility?
The people in the example you have given are complete idiots.
mx510
Fantasy
1707th
10/30/2014 7:29pm
I have a couple friends that "got by" up here racing the local Arenacross stuff. In this area there are quite a few Fair races that pay pretty from what I hear.
bsharkey
10/30/2014 7:39pm
the arenacross in bc does well. if you win its 2k a weekend plus other money as well.i think adam entilknapp made $1100 just in the dash for cash one night

Post a reply to: Pro's Making Money

The Latest