Proper MX Journalism

twotwosix
I really enjoyed reading this article on RX. I have to give props to Weege and Stallo for the transparency. I encourage you to give it a read:

http://racerxonline.com/2017/01/12/exhaust-facts-versus-facts

|
IceMan446
1/12/2017 1:26pm Edited Date/Time 1/12/2017 1:27pm
Man this Kenny is hard to beat.

Happy, having fun and a good bike.

I dont see Dungey doing anything to stop him this year, barring an injury.

Oh, and he is fit!
kkawboy14
1/12/2017 1:32pm Edited Date/Time 1/12/2017 1:38pm
Transparency?

I did enjoy reading that but I don't agree that it is hard to state the facts without giving it a slant.

If everytime a rider was doing good they praised the AMA over the FIM for their doing good, that would be a slant. Or if they left out the facts that would be giving it a slant.

Roczen came to town and wasn't playing from the time he landed in his sweet suit and sweeter ride, he laid it down, no dispute.....no slant

The Shop

twotwosix
1/12/2017 1:34pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Transparency? I did enjoy reading that but I don't agree that it is hard to state the facts without giving it a slant. If everytime a...
Transparency?

I did enjoy reading that but I don't agree that it is hard to state the facts without giving it a slant.

If everytime a rider was doing good they praised the AMA over the FIM for their doing good, that would be a slant. Or if they left out the facts that would be giving it a slant.

Roczen came to town and wasn't playing from the time he landed in his sweet suit and sweeter ride, he laid it down, no dispute.....no slant
Yes, that article was the epitome of transparency.
kkawboy14
1/12/2017 1:36pm Edited Date/Time 1/12/2017 1:39pm
Roczen came to town with a bad attitude, he landed in town in a suit (trying to make everyone else look dumb) in a borrowed rent a ride. Yeah he won by 16 seconds but everyone else had an off night. .....lots of slant, more opinion than facts
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
1/12/2017 3:38pm
I'm not sure transparency has anything to do with the article, but it is a good explanation of how serious writers consider how to portray something fairly to all involved. It also underscores the futility of that if the writer tries to leave everyone happy. A guy winning is a concrete fact that the riders who didn't win don't like, even if they accept it as a fact. Fairness has to be in the mind of the writer, whose credibility turns on how his audience, not his subject, judges his effort.

The problem is that there is an audience for not being fair, and some writers chase that.
Rupert X
1/12/2017 4:02pm
Kenny HAD to win. And, he did it to himself, intentionally. You don't show up to a press conference in that manner, cause a major ruckus and, then, finish fourth. You have to win. Brilliant.
colorado2day
1/12/2017 4:06pm
Rupert X wrote:
Kenny HAD to win. And, he did it to himself, intentionally. You don't show up to a press conference in that manner, cause a major ruckus...
Kenny HAD to win. And, he did it to himself, intentionally. You don't show up to a press conference in that manner, cause a major ruckus and, then, finish fourth. You have to win. Brilliant.
Well said Whistling
kkawboy14
1/12/2017 4:22pm
Rupert X wrote:
Kenny HAD to win. And, he did it to himself, intentionally. You don't show up to a press conference in that manner, cause a major ruckus...
Agreed....he had the best plan Smile
1/12/2017 6:20pm Edited Date/Time 1/12/2017 6:25pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Roczen came to town with a bad attitude, he landed in town in a suit (trying to make everyone else look dumb) in a borrowed rent...
Roczen came to town with a bad attitude, he landed in town in a suit (trying to make everyone else look dumb) in a borrowed rent a ride. Yeah he won by 16 seconds but everyone else had an off night. .....lots of slant, more opinion than facts
Everyone else had an off night? KR destroyed everything to do with A1. Dominant in every fashion, including fashion. I guarantee he left everyone else a little wide eyed, and he did it with ease.

Will he "throw it away"? Maybe. Happens all the time in this sport. Is that the last KR beat down we see in the near future? Prolly not.
kkawboy14
1/13/2017 11:00am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Roczen came to town with a bad attitude, he landed in town in a suit (trying to make everyone else look dumb) in a borrowed rent...
8686 wrote:
Everyone else had an off night? KR destroyed everything to do with A1. Dominant in every fashion, including fashion. I guarantee he left everyone else a...
Everyone else had an off night? KR destroyed everything to do with A1. Dominant in every fashion, including fashion. I guarantee he left everyone else a little wide eyed, and he did it with ease.

Will he "throw it away"? Maybe. Happens all the time in this sport. Is that the last KR beat down we see in the near future? Prolly not.
You totally missed my point but proved it, thanks!
Bosco
1/13/2017 1:02pm
It's refreshing to read something like this, rather than the typical "Click here to see what *insert rider here* did!" instagram links and twitter screenshots. Kudos.

Somewhat related: James Stewart did not release a statement. James Stewart put together a poorly written appeal to his fans for relevance and posted it to his instagram. There's a difference.
twotwosix
1/13/2017 1:15pm
Bosco wrote:
It's refreshing to read something like this, rather than the typical "Click here to see what [i]*insert rider here*[/i] did!" instagram links and twitter screenshots. Kudos...
It's refreshing to read something like this, rather than the typical "Click here to see what *insert rider here* did!" instagram links and twitter screenshots. Kudos.

Somewhat related: James Stewart did not release a statement. James Stewart put together a poorly written appeal to his fans for relevance and posted it to his instagram. There's a difference.
Haha, yes that is true.

Post a reply to: Proper MX Journalism

The Latest