Production Rule Poll: Good or Bad for the Sport?

bullpen58
Edited Date/Time 2/9/2012 7:46am
What do you guys think? Was the production rule of 1986 a good move or a bad one? Wasn't the rationale behind the rule to "level the playing field" and eliminate the "unfair advantage" that factory riders had over the privateers? I can guarantee you it did accomplish that but didn't it also slow down the evolution of the bikes? Orrrrrr, did it actually speed UP the evolution of the bikes by forcing the MFGs to sell kick ass machines to us schmucks that can barely even ride?

Hmmmmmm.
|
Whitey
2/8/2012 8:46pm
Production rule or not, the same guys will be at the top through each generation.
2/8/2012 8:51pm Edited Date/Time 2/8/2012 8:54pm
Was it coincidence that Yamaha came up with the production rule at a time when their works bikes were total turds? I think the goal was to slow down technology. It was Yamaha that proposed the production rule when Honda was turning out fantasy machines for its riders (Bailey and O'Mara).

Not to mention that the technology on modern motocross bikes is old hat. There are hardly any technological innovations that have not been standard industrial practice for years and years. I mean fuel injection is considered high-tech? It's been standard on economy cars for 20 years.
bullpen58
2/8/2012 8:56pm
Was it coincidence that Yamaha came up with the production rule at a time when their works bikes were total turds? I think the goal was...
Was it coincidence that Yamaha came up with the production rule at a time when their works bikes were total turds? I think the goal was to slow down technology. It was Yamaha that proposed the production rule when Honda was turning out fantasy machines for its riders (Bailey and O'Mara).

Not to mention that the technology on modern motocross bikes is old hat. There are hardly any technological innovations that have not been standard industrial practice for years and years. I mean fuel injection is considered high-tech? It's been standard on economy cars for 20 years.
Interesting theory. You could be right. I know those Hondas were bad effin ass but I wasn't aware that the Yamahas were not good at the time.

Weren't the suzukis that Barnett rode pretty good (pre-production rule)?

The Shop

2/8/2012 9:03pm
Out of curiosity.. If the production rule was dropped, what would the factory teams be doing differently?
grimey
2/8/2012 9:06pm
Hopefully JT stops producing that fugly gear, c'mon really?
grimey
2/8/2012 9:09pm
annnnnnnnnd i just noticed my gear wasnt the best choice at the time. ill just take myself out of the topic!
2/8/2012 9:13pm Edited Date/Time 2/8/2012 9:16pm
Was it coincidence that Yamaha came up with the production rule at a time when their works bikes were total turds? I think the goal was...

bullpen58 wrote:
Interesting theory. You could be right. I know those Hondas were bad effin ass but I wasn't aware that the Yamahas were not good at the...
Interesting theory. You could be right. I know those Hondas were bad effin ass but I wasn't aware that the Yamahas were not good at the time.

Weren't the suzukis that Barnett rode pretty good (pre-production rule)?
It was common knowledge that Yamaha came up with the production rule. In 1985 their works bikes were shiite. Glover was racing Bailey in the open class on an air cooled tank of a YZ. Then in 1986 you get a production rule.
Glover won the title in 85 on that piece of crap. Quite a feat.
2/8/2012 9:28pm
Here's Bailey from an interview I did with him in 2005. He thinks the production rule led to a massive dropoff in development.

I guess you can thank Yamaha for the production rule.
Bailey: "Because their works bikes sucked! They're like 'we're going to ride production bikes- that's how good our production bikes are.' The truth was that their works bikes were horrible, and the guys liked the production bikes better. And then, because they did well, someone got the idea that maybe it will make racing cheaper, and it will give the privateers a chance to keep up with the pros. But whoever is going to win is going to win. I don't care if they are riding that chainsaw over there or a shopping cart, they're going to find a way to manufacture enough speed to get to the finish line first. So, the results didn't change. Just the intrigue of the bikes, and the development process slowed way down. "
Hando
2/8/2012 9:30pm Edited Date/Time 2/8/2012 9:34pm
i think works bikes are cool but honestly..if there wasnt a production rule the factory guys would have all that high tech BS that the factory road racing teams use (GPS traction control with gyros, super exotic suspension componenet materials, etc)

The bikes would be substanstially better than they are now IMO and it wouldnt change the racing

if anything..MX needs to go more NASCAR to keep the price down.

the 250F class isn't a stepping class anymore....who the fuck can afford to keep a race prepped 250F running all season?

TLD, Factory Connection & PC and maybe a few others..

IMO, the stock bikes are pretty damn good.

I think the gap between factory and privateer team is pretty slim these days in regards to accesbility to tech..but the difference between a small team and a factory team is the $$ for R&D.

JGR is an example of a strong team that has factory backing but they do their own R&D bc they have money to do it.
bullpen58
2/8/2012 9:52pm
Here's Bailey from an interview I did with him in 2005. He thinks the production rule led to a massive dropoff in development. I guess you...
Here's Bailey from an interview I did with him in 2005. He thinks the production rule led to a massive dropoff in development.

I guess you can thank Yamaha for the production rule.
Bailey: "Because their works bikes sucked! They're like 'we're going to ride production bikes- that's how good our production bikes are.' The truth was that their works bikes were horrible, and the guys liked the production bikes better. And then, because they did well, someone got the idea that maybe it will make racing cheaper, and it will give the privateers a chance to keep up with the pros. But whoever is going to win is going to win. I don't care if they are riding that chainsaw over there or a shopping cart, they're going to find a way to manufacture enough speed to get to the finish line first. So, the results didn't change. Just the intrigue of the bikes, and the development process slowed way down. "
It seems to me that after 1985, the most "high tech" bikes of the era were actually WORSE than they were in previous years (but only if you count the fully modded out factory bikes) because of the factory rule. However, you could also argue that the production rule, although it seemed to slow down the development process TEMPORARILY, it ultimately led to FASTER development of the production bikes starting in....about 1989 or so?

I mean, if they had left it the way it was, the bikes made by the MFGs for guys like Bradshaw, Stanton, etc. to ride would have continued to evolve at a fast rate but that the production bikes sold to the general public would have stayed somewhat stagnant, right?
bullpen58
2/8/2012 9:53pm
Hando wrote:
i think works bikes are cool but honestly..if there wasnt a production rule the factory guys would have all that high tech BS that the factory...
i think works bikes are cool but honestly..if there wasnt a production rule the factory guys would have all that high tech BS that the factory road racing teams use (GPS traction control with gyros, super exotic suspension componenet materials, etc)

The bikes would be substanstially better than they are now IMO and it wouldnt change the racing

if anything..MX needs to go more NASCAR to keep the price down.

the 250F class isn't a stepping class anymore....who the fuck can afford to keep a race prepped 250F running all season?

TLD, Factory Connection & PC and maybe a few others..

IMO, the stock bikes are pretty damn good.

I think the gap between factory and privateer team is pretty slim these days in regards to accesbility to tech..but the difference between a small team and a factory team is the $$ for R&D.

JGR is an example of a strong team that has factory backing but they do their own R&D bc they have money to do it.
It would sure be interesting to see what the MFGs would come up with if they were given free-reign to make radically different frames, swingarms, cases, etc.
slipdog
2/8/2012 10:12pm
grimey wrote:
annnnnnnnnd i just noticed my gear wasnt the best choice at the time. ill just take myself out of the topic!
Good job "Grimey"

Motodude
2/9/2012 2:26am Edited Date/Time 2/9/2012 3:49am
Whatever year they (JT) are going for, the old stuff is far superior even by todays standards. Maybe the old brand should be left for back then.

On the production rule?....EVERY rider wanted to get on a factory team to ride the exotica available, it was a great source of motivation to ride the shit out of a proddy bike till it fell apart, just to prove his worth to ride the hot shit. That was the appeal of the works bike.

Aside from the lack of overall development of bikes since then, the exile of works bikes has kept the sport in the dark ages.

Imagine F1 ruling teams can only use OEM parts from established car manufacturers...the sport would die upon that announcement.
geo309
2/9/2012 3:21am
Think about it if there were works bike how many riders would be on them? Maybe 6 or so? Nothing would change in the results from what we have now. You would still have RV-JS-CR-RD on top like now.
Motodude
2/9/2012 3:31am Edited Date/Time 2/9/2012 3:50am
geo309 wrote:
Think about it if there were works bike how many riders would be on them? Maybe 6 or so? Nothing would change in the results from...
Think about it if there were works bike how many riders would be on them? Maybe 6 or so? Nothing would change in the results from what we have now. You would still have RV-JS-CR-RD on top like now.
Yep, but imagine how much more interesting it would be! Already with JGR customizing bits on Stewarts bike has stirred up big interest...probably half the reason why this thread got started.

Idealy, imagine the factories running EFI 2 stroke exotica for its top riders....of course, boat anchor thumpers would have to be eliminated....oh yeah, and the sport will become affordable again...and a shit load more fun to go racing!...isnt that whats happening out in the real world?...4 strokes are being replaced by affordable 2 strokes by the bulk of dirtbike riders these days. I know I got one because I'd hate to pay for a 4stroke rebuild.
JustMX
2/9/2012 5:21am
I think one actually has to look back a few more years in moto history, back to the mid to late 70's.

Factories like Puch were starting to field multi cylinder race bikes in the GPs.

Imagine a two cylinder, 125cc race bikes that could easily turn 20,000 rpms.

The FIM had concerns that the bikes were getting too complicated and hard to ride. There MAY have been pressure from the Japanese OEMs too because they didn't want to R&D down that line.

It may have been because they were starting to dominate or maybe they believed that super hyper race bikes like that would be hard to sell, whichever the case was, the FIM passed a single cylinder rule.

A year or two later Hannah busted on to the scene and turned into a Yamaha's marketing team wet dream when he chose to race a stock '77 yz 250. For those that aren't familiar with this morsel of moto history, Hannah would show up to race an event, win (22 straight motos/mains) and then often give the bike away.

Keith McCarthy (his mechanic at the time) would get another new YZ, put a longer shifter on it, and replace the spoke strips on the rim with duct tape and they would be off to the next round.

Fast forward to the mid 80's. The production rule goes into affect.

Back then (like now) there were arguments that the sport would lose some of its appeal because we would lose the "exotic" factor.

I remember that I could have cared less about the exotic machines.

I wanted to see RJ and DB prove that they were the best riders out there, not that they were on superior machinery.

I see several members here arguing that the rule has held back development for year (even decades). You say that like it is a bad thing.

Look where we are. Four strokes that are truly technical marvels. Tuning fuel injection trackside with a laptop. Teams testing "traction control".

It amazing how far our sport has come and scary to think where we would be if the production rule hadn't slowed down the evolution.

Every time I throw a coin in a wishing well or blow out the candles on a birthday cake I close my eyes and wish that future generations could enjoy the simple pleasure of just riding.

Riding without having to worry about an hour meter. Riding rain or shine.

Our sport is being priced out of reach of future generations and that is a real pity.

The other thing is that the bikes have evolved to the point where only some kind of superhuman can ride the machines anywhere close to their potential. Even that is often an iffy proposition because the price when it is pushed too far is pretty steep.

Just refer to the RacerX injury report for proof.

In summary, I do not think that the production rule has been a bad thing except that it was not strict enough.

Bikes have evolved to the point where expense, technological complexity, and speed capability have become detrimental to the health and future of the sport.
Hando
2/9/2012 7:46am Edited Date/Time 2/9/2012 7:48am
@justMX

10-4 on that buddy. I think its funny that about 7 years ago when Hando had his 250 smoker, he was making about $10 an hour over summer break in high school and that was enough to keep me going all summer. i rode 3 times a week and hit a pay-for track maybe twice a week depending on the weather. that bike never let me down as i took care of it (oil changes and airfilters are cheap compared to oil & oil filter changes every 3 hours, airfilters twice a day..lol)

all of my friends had 2-strokes and we didnt have to worry about throwing a valve or any of that nonsese...if a bike blew up we threw a new piston in it, that was that.

shit...i remember i broke a ring on my kx80, sent the cylinder to eric gorr and got it all fixed for like $250.

if i had a 4-stroke i dont think id be able to ride that much without spending alot more $$...

i used to scalp used tires from the local racers as they would toss them after 4 motos or so...............

i actually like 4-strokes...they have their place..in automobiles and streetbikes (sorrry to all the haters but my f4i always starts, gets 30 MPG and has a smooth as silk powerband which is crucial for street riding)

Post a reply to: Production Rule Poll: Good or Bad for the Sport?

The Latest