Probably the last race in Jax

BD49
3/23/2011 12:43pm
One important thing about Florida as to why many people make their residence is that there are no state income taxes.
jamma10
3/23/2011 12:47pm
Would there be sufficient support from both fans & teams the FIM/AMA Supercross Series to visit Europe for one round each year? For the past four years Wembley Stadium in the UK has hosted an NFL game with relative success.

Without a host of high profile riders European promoters struggle to fill large stadiums and open air stadiums are not very accommodating to our winter weather anyway, so we're often left with small indoor arenas barely large enough to fit a short arena cross track inside. Therefore its a catch twenty two situation, with no opportunity for progression. Large stadiums with a retractable roof, such as Wembley Stadium in London or the Millennium Stadium in Cardfiff, Wales which hosts the British Speedway GP each year (see pic) are the only option, but these would never be cost effective without a large crowd who would only pay to come and see the very best SX riders in the world, competing for a meaningful series rather than an invitational race.

Hosting an AMA SX this side of the pond is an idea often banded around on the UK forums, and would surely draw fans from across Europe who rarely get a chance to see the worlds best SX riders do their thing. But how would American fans react to it? Not knowing a great deal about NFL I don't know what the general American support is like for the Wembley game, do people stay up to watch it, or is it ignored?

I realise that there are many Americans living and working over here that go to the NFL game at Wembly, but I would hazard a guess that there are generally more general Moto fans than NFL fans in England as a whole, and the NFL game regularly attracts a crowd of 40-50,000. If the 2006/8 MXdNs are anything to go by, French, Spanish, Dutch and Belgium fans would gladly travel to London, likewise British fans the other way.

Logistically it would be a bit of a nightmare, and a big risk, but would the AMA offer special dispensation to help privateers out with travel costs, or would there need to be a cut off where only the top half travel? The remaining qualification spots could be opened up to European riders.

Stanford
3/23/2011 12:47pm
BD49 wrote:
One important thing about Florida as to why many people make their residence is that there are no state income taxes.
Plus, the place is loaded with GILF's.....(grandmothers I'd like to.....well, you know.....)
SethGator
3/23/2011 12:58pm
no one pays attention to NFL games in Europe or NBA games in Europe. people in the same cities from where the team is from don't even pay attention.

I still think they should have a Euro SX series. races in London, Paris, Madrid, Valencia, Rome, Amsterdam, Munich, Moscow, Prague, Brussels, Lisbon, etc...

I got it...the "Vodaphone Euro SX Series"

The Shop

BobbyM
3/23/2011 1:16pm
Tbteam wrote:
Judging by the lame attendance.

Damn, I love having a race close to home.
maybe you should venture out to LV this year and see a bigger crowd...of posers. Wink
BobbyM
3/23/2011 1:20pm
jamma10 wrote:
Would there be sufficient support from both fans & teams the FIM/AMA Supercross Series to visit Europe for one round each year? For the past four...
Would there be sufficient support from both fans & teams the FIM/AMA Supercross Series to visit Europe for one round each year? For the past four years Wembley Stadium in the UK has hosted an NFL game with relative success.

Without a host of high profile riders European promoters struggle to fill large stadiums and open air stadiums are not very accommodating to our winter weather anyway, so we're often left with small indoor arenas barely large enough to fit a short arena cross track inside. Therefore its a catch twenty two situation, with no opportunity for progression. Large stadiums with a retractable roof, such as Wembley Stadium in London or the Millennium Stadium in Cardfiff, Wales which hosts the British Speedway GP each year (see pic) are the only option, but these would never be cost effective without a large crowd who would only pay to come and see the very best SX riders in the world, competing for a meaningful series rather than an invitational race.

Hosting an AMA SX this side of the pond is an idea often banded around on the UK forums, and would surely draw fans from across Europe who rarely get a chance to see the worlds best SX riders do their thing. But how would American fans react to it? Not knowing a great deal about NFL I don't know what the general American support is like for the Wembley game, do people stay up to watch it, or is it ignored?

I realise that there are many Americans living and working over here that go to the NFL game at Wembly, but I would hazard a guess that there are generally more general Moto fans than NFL fans in England as a whole, and the NFL game regularly attracts a crowd of 40-50,000. If the 2006/8 MXdNs are anything to go by, French, Spanish, Dutch and Belgium fans would gladly travel to London, likewise British fans the other way.

Logistically it would be a bit of a nightmare, and a big risk, but would the AMA offer special dispensation to help privateers out with travel costs, or would there need to be a cut off where only the top half travel? The remaining qualification spots could be opened up to European riders.

speedway racing is badass and if marketed properly could be a money maker and crowd pleaser this side of the pond
Tbteam
3/23/2011 1:26pm
Tbteam wrote:

BobbyM wrote:
maybe you should venture out to LV this year and see a bigger crowd...of posers. Wink
Not a bad idea. Let me see if I can find my flat bill and black socks.
jamma10
3/23/2011 1:51pm
BobbyM wrote:
speedway racing is badass and if marketed properly could be a money maker and crowd pleaser this side of the pond
Seems odd that speedway has never taken off over there anyway. Couple of foot longs and a big gulp and you're laughing!
bama205
3/23/2011 6:36pm
they should really bring it to nashville, tn.... enough rednecks around us to enjoy it! ha haa
BobbyM
3/23/2011 6:39pm
Tbteam wrote:

BobbyM wrote:
Tbteam wrote:
Not a bad idea. Let me see if I can find my flat bill and black socks.
i'll supply those...you just get here.
burnside
4/26/2011 12:25pm Edited Date/Time 4/26/2011 12:26pm
Think Wembley is the only place it could really work cause its so accessible and easy. I have a feeling it doesn't have a fully retractable roof or something though. Saying that, you should be safe for a good 30k 'core fans' where ever you put it.

Dave Prater did hint they were looking into possible international rounds though, if you dig through Matthes's podcasts he did one with him...
burnside
4/26/2011 12:28pm
Can't wait for the NY SX next year! It will be packed!
Is there a NY round? That would be cool. Dread to think how much the beer would cost though. Cost fucking $8 in a dive bar! haha

Post a reply to: Probably the last race in Jax

The Latest