Pro riders wearing or not wearing neck braces

Now this is not about whether neck braces are safe or not. I know what side of the fence I stand on but I won't be saying it here.

So over the past few years, a lot of the pro riders have been ditching the neck braces for whatever reason & even a few have started wearing them. Long time wearer, Blake Baggett has stopped wearing his & Christophe Pourcel has stared wearing an Atlas brace. What I'm trying to say is, did Blake wake up one morning and say, "I'm not wearing that no more"? Has he done more research and found them more dangerous or did his neck brace sponsor stop paying him money? Pourcel even said on the QNA that he felt a neck brace wouldn't benefit him, yet he's wearing one now. Did he do his research and felt it did actually benefit him or did Atlas throw a ton of money at him to wear it? Dean Wilson is an even stranger case, he seems to either wear a neck brace depending on what class & team he is on. Then you have Musquin, he still wears one even though his brother was paralysed wearing the same brand brace.

I think what I'm trying to say is, why do riders switch between wearing & not wearing them. You either believe the technology or not. Or are they just wearing them, coz they are getting a ton of cash?
|
Cortami79
12/5/2016 2:33pm
Interested in this too. I had them all. Leatt (first the club, then the carbon), switched to Ortema, from Ortema to Alpinestars, nothing for a year, bought an Atlas (which was awesome quality but couldn't ride with it either), back to nothing, Ortema and now I just gave upGrinning

I think Bagget had his reasons due shoulder problems. Pourcel probably tried the Atlas after his neck injury and seems to like it. Same as bobryshev. I read an interview with him saying he tested it on practice days for a few months. So they will definately test it before riding with it in real races.

Wilson probably stopped wearing it atm due contracts but he is a believer I think. Same goes for Anderson, who had a time that he didn't wear it during 250 outdoors. Musquin and Canard are true believers.

What I noticed, there was a time that u where almost shocked if someone didn't wear one. Now, on a 40 man gate u will see maybe 5 guys.

Some riders seem to ride with them without even feeling it. But others look way better without one. Herlings for example looks way more in control. Barcia in my opinion would be way better without one. He always looks limited in movement to me. While musquin always looks loose and flexible.

It is very personal. And even though they believe in them, comfort is very important for those guys.

Imo they should force the riders to wear bodyprotection, but that is another topic.
Motofinne
12/5/2016 2:36pm Edited Date/Time 12/5/2016 2:37pm
I have had the original carbonfiber Leatt brace and the carbon fiber Alpinestars brace.

Now i'm without one.

I really don't give a shit about what any pro rider wears. In 99% of the cases they wear what they get paid to do.

kkawboy14
12/5/2016 2:37pm
My guess is because they aren't getting paid enough to wear them.
bdownen323
12/5/2016 3:21pm
I've heard of cases where riders have been required not to wear one because it limits how much of the jersey is seen.

The Shop

HardTaco
12/5/2016 3:29pm
My bet would be on the money. I've done my own testing with them, and found being of large build (fat), it made me slower.... Actually my wife noticed it first looking at pics, but id wear a huge pink dildo neck brace if someone payed me enough money.
12/5/2016 3:32pm
I just don't like the guys saying they'd never ride without and when the cheque stops coming the neck brace comes off too. I like Deano but it seems like that's his exact situation. I remember Dungeys came off once or twice which could be a reason why he took it off. But honestly it's hard to make judgement because we don't know if the riders were really wearing them for safety or because it was the next big safety equipment and they were being paid a lot to wear it. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter, I know I'll wear mine when I go riding.
Graybeard
Fantasy
2310th
12/5/2016 3:47pm
A bit off topic, but has anyone tried the Atlas Air with the Leatt Pro chest/back protector?
bwilky
12/5/2016 3:53pm
Now this is not about whether neck braces are safe or not. I know what side of the fence I stand on but I won't be...
Now this is not about whether neck braces are safe or not. I know what side of the fence I stand on but I won't be saying it here.

So over the past few years, a lot of the pro riders have been ditching the neck braces for whatever reason & even a few have started wearing them. Long time wearer, Blake Baggett has stopped wearing his & Christophe Pourcel has stared wearing an Atlas brace. What I'm trying to say is, did Blake wake up one morning and say, "I'm not wearing that no more"? Has he done more research and found them more dangerous or did his neck brace sponsor stop paying him money? Pourcel even said on the QNA that he felt a neck brace wouldn't benefit him, yet he's wearing one now. Did he do his research and felt it did actually benefit him or did Atlas throw a ton of money at him to wear it? Dean Wilson is an even stranger case, he seems to either wear a neck brace depending on what class & team he is on. Then you have Musquin, he still wears one even though his brother was paralysed wearing the same brand brace.

I think what I'm trying to say is, why do riders switch between wearing & not wearing them. You either believe the technology or not. Or are they just wearing them, coz they are getting a ton of cash?
Blake has worn a brace since the day they came out. He decided to stop wearing the Leatt due to multiple collarbone surgeries
mxjon454
12/5/2016 4:02pm
Now this is not about whether neck braces are safe or not. I know what side of the fence I stand on but I won't be...

bwilky wrote:
Blake has worn a brace since the day they came out. He decided to stop wearing the Leatt due to multiple collarbone surgeries
Exactly. Baggetts the one rider who seems to wear the most protection out there. I think he also said he wants to get full reconstructive surgery on them at some point too cause of all the hardwear in there.
JohnRoy
12/5/2016 5:41pm
bdownen323 wrote:
I've heard of cases where riders have been required not to wear one because it limits how much of the jersey is seen.
Don't believe everything you hear. That's just plain wrong.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
12/5/2016 6:00pm
HardTaco wrote:
My bet would be on the money. I've done my own testing with them, and found being of large build (fat), it made me slower.... Actually...
My bet would be on the money. I've done my own testing with them, and found being of large build (fat), it made me slower.... Actually my wife noticed it first looking at pics, but id wear a huge pink dildo neck brace if someone payed me enough money.
Is $20 enough? Can I shoot photos? Wink
Bennett59
12/5/2016 6:10pm
I just quit wearing mine I've been wearing them since they came out leatt astar the leatt 5.5 and atlas last few wrecks, I've had with one on not even bad have really hurt my neck and my moto 9 magnet strap kept hooking on my 5.5 and I wouldn't be able to move my head . I think it depends on the crash as well. My alpinestar brace got destroyed on huge wreck down mount st Helen's and it slammed me head first and walked away with a broken c7
brimx153
12/5/2016 10:56pm
Unless you have a longer neck ,it really effects your movement ,id put money on barica being a better rider without one . especial in the whoops .he cant lift his head up enough to get his ass back enough . jmo ,it effects he range of movement. then you have someone like MM25 . who s neck is really long ,it does nt affect his rage of movement at all. as far as safety goes . id rather be in the right position on the bike without one ,than in the wrong position with one on .
brimx153
12/5/2016 11:02pm
Cortami79 wrote:
Interested in this too. I had them all. Leatt (first the club, then the carbon), switched to Ortema, from Ortema to Alpinestars, nothing for a year...
Interested in this too. I had them all. Leatt (first the club, then the carbon), switched to Ortema, from Ortema to Alpinestars, nothing for a year, bought an Atlas (which was awesome quality but couldn't ride with it either), back to nothing, Ortema and now I just gave upGrinning

I think Bagget had his reasons due shoulder problems. Pourcel probably tried the Atlas after his neck injury and seems to like it. Same as bobryshev. I read an interview with him saying he tested it on practice days for a few months. So they will definately test it before riding with it in real races.

Wilson probably stopped wearing it atm due contracts but he is a believer I think. Same goes for Anderson, who had a time that he didn't wear it during 250 outdoors. Musquin and Canard are true believers.

What I noticed, there was a time that u where almost shocked if someone didn't wear one. Now, on a 40 man gate u will see maybe 5 guys.

Some riders seem to ride with them without even feeling it. But others look way better without one. Herlings for example looks way more in control. Barcia in my opinion would be way better without one. He always looks limited in movement to me. While musquin always looks loose and flexible.

It is very personal. And even though they believe in them, comfort is very important for those guys.

Imo they should force the riders to wear bodyprotection, but that is another topic.
sorry only read your post after i posted mine , i pretty much posted the exact same , and 100% agree , barica looks so stiff and just not able to look up enough .
mr765
12/6/2016 1:43am
Cortami79 wrote:
Interested in this too. I had them all. Leatt (first the club, then the carbon), switched to Ortema, from Ortema to Alpinestars, nothing for a year...

I'm not a big neck brace guy but if I believed in anything it would be ortema(it also allows much more movement) bar none. Their back neck and knee protection is some of the best I've seen. That is if you can afford it.... I wear cti2 currently and have no ties to ortema but I see riders and equipment daily and that's my 2 cents as a coach.
hillbilly
12/6/2016 1:57am
How do you "do the research" ??

Throw a pulley in the rafters and rope yourself up feet first then let go wearing different models?
Bodieg3
12/6/2016 2:45am
Exactly hillbilly! There is no research for either side . There's plenty of cases where braces snapped collarbones thuogh
hillbilly
12/6/2016 3:09am
Bodieg3 wrote:
Exactly hillbilly! There is no research for either side . There's plenty of cases where braces snapped collarbones thuogh
Like i posted before,a wheelbarrow innertube.

I liked the neck donut I wore a while, milsaps had one attached to his helmet seems i recall.

NVA57
Fantasy
1602nd
12/6/2016 3:53am
Money talks in most cases I think.

Slightly off-topic: am I the only one that has a feeling that Leatt doesn't really care for the neck brace anymore?
Fraser
12/6/2016 5:27am
I found the Leatt too restrictive. Currently ride with the Alpinestars carbon which doesn't really bother me. Nobody knows if they work or even help really. Have serious injuries in SX gone up since pro's opted out? Peace of mind I guess, it might just help. I had a big lawn dart moment about 3 yrs ago. I snapped the bionic brace clean in half front and back, but I was fine. Chances are I'd have been fine without it, but what is for certain is that it certainly took some load. Alpinestars replaced it FOC.
HardTaco
12/6/2016 5:35am
HardTaco wrote:
My bet would be on the money. I've done my own testing with them, and found being of large build (fat), it made me slower.... Actually...
GuyB wrote:
Is $20 enough? Can I shoot photos? Wink
I'll do it for free if GuyB is taking pics of me
12/6/2016 5:57am
i've had a few crashes that have been worse from wearing one in my opinion, preventing the usual tuck and roll and the most recent trying to drill me into the ground like a fence post haha leaving me with a bruised neck as well

definitly seems to be a move away from them now, the new leatt looks so low profile on someone like Marvin that it doesn't look like it would do much anyway, even herlings has stopped wearing one this year as well as baggett who have always ran them
NVA57
Fantasy
1602nd
12/6/2016 7:36am
i've had a few crashes that have been worse from wearing one in my opinion, preventing the usual tuck and roll and the most recent trying...
i've had a few crashes that have been worse from wearing one in my opinion, preventing the usual tuck and roll and the most recent trying to drill me into the ground like a fence post haha leaving me with a bruised neck as well

definitly seems to be a move away from them now, the new leatt looks so low profile on someone like Marvin that it doesn't look like it would do much anyway, even herlings has stopped wearing one this year as well as baggett who have always ran them
I heard Herlings stopped wearing one because of contract issues. Had to wear Alpinestars or nothing. Didn't like it and chose to wear nothing.
Cortami79
12/6/2016 9:16am
i've had a few crashes that have been worse from wearing one in my opinion, preventing the usual tuck and roll and the most recent trying...

NVA57 wrote:
I heard Herlings stopped wearing one because of contract issues. Had to wear Alpinestars or nothing. Didn't like it and chose to wear nothing.
Sounds weird to me. He was wearing already in 2010 when he started riding with astars clothes/boots. But yeah, is a possibility.

Gautier paulin tried the leatt in Spain at his injury comeback, but ditched it after qualifying race.

Febvre for example looks way better without one, but a guy like gajser has a different style and still seems to like it. Nagl for example would better be off without one IMO. But that is not my choice ofcourseWink
holeshot413
Fantasy
1759th
12/6/2016 9:49am
Graybeard wrote:
A bit off topic, but has anyone tried the Atlas Air with the Leatt Pro chest/back protector?
I do, had to trim the Leatt Pro a little and works fine
12/6/2016 10:23am
Cortami79 wrote:
Sounds weird to me. He was wearing already in 2010 when he started riding with astars clothes/boots. But yeah, is a possibility. Gautier paulin tried the...
Sounds weird to me. He was wearing already in 2010 when he started riding with astars clothes/boots. But yeah, is a possibility.

Gautier paulin tried the leatt in Spain at his injury comeback, but ditched it after qualifying race.

Febvre for example looks way better without one, but a guy like gajser has a different style and still seems to like it. Nagl for example would better be off without one IMO. But that is not my choice ofcourseWink
I actually thought Paulin wore the Leatt at Arco de Trentino & wore it in both races but that doesn't matter. Surely he must of worn it in private practice sessions to get the feel of it, someone on race day doesn't go "here try this to see if you like it". It doesn't work like that. Bobryshev said in an interview that he was testing the Atlas brace during the week to see if he liked it or not before signing on the dotted line.
Bramlett321
12/6/2016 10:25am
Cortami79 wrote:

I've never heard of the Ortema brand before but I did look at this model on their website and it looks like a much better built brace. Is there a distributor in the states for this product??
Motofinne
12/6/2016 10:45am
I've never heard of the Ortema brand before but I did look at this model on their website and it looks like a much better built...
I've never heard of the Ortema brand before but I did look at this model on their website and it looks like a much better built brace. Is there a distributor in the states for this product??
https://www.instagram.com/ortema.us/

I'm sure you can find info of how to get Ortema products on their IG page?
12/6/2016 10:56am
one interesting thing that i have seen with Gajser that he´s neckbrace is always loose he seems to not strap it down. and when one of my straps on my alpinestars come loose i would notice it immediately and its very annoying
Cortami79
12/6/2016 1:24pm
one interesting thing that i have seen with Gajser that he´s neckbrace is always loose he seems to not strap it down. and when one of...
one interesting thing that i have seen with Gajser that he´s neckbrace is always loose he seems to not strap it down. and when one of my straps on my alpinestars come loose i would notice it immediately and its very annoying
True. One of the most annoying thing you can have while riding.

I think guys like Dungey, Reed, Millsaps, Brayton, Tomac would ride with it if they feel good with them. They all ditched the braces after a few years for their personal reasons. Not like money would be such a big issue if they would feel way safer..

Post a reply to: Pro riders wearing or not wearing neck braces

The Latest