Pro motocross track crew.. anyone done it before?

Sup guys. First time poster here, long time rider/forum visitor though.

Anyways, I applied to be apart of the track crew for all the nationals this year and turns out I actually got the job. I'm pretty stoked about it and I'm sure it'll be sweet.
My question is has anyone here done it before? I'm sure it's a grind with all the travel and stuff.
|
Kaiusive
5/2/2017 5:30pm
I applied and got it as well, Look forward to working with you.
5/2/2017 6:11pm
Nice man! Im a little worried as it's quite a commitment to go around the country for the summer with no one I've ever met. Look forward to meeting you as well!
Kaiusive
5/2/2017 6:26pm
Nice man! Im a little worried as it's quite a commitment to go around the country for the summer with no one I've ever met. Look...
Nice man! Im a little worried as it's quite a commitment to go around the country for the summer with no one I've ever met. Look forward to meeting you as well!
I feel the same way! I'm sure we will meet a lot of awesome people though! Can't wait.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
278th
5/2/2017 6:30pm
It's a grueling job. But fun. You will find it tough to keep up with John Ayers, that man works non stop, and knows his stuff. Not sure if John Jr is still doing it as well, but he was cool too.

Listen, learn, and hustle. There will be lots of cool moments along the way. You might not get much down time, but you will be immersed in all the action.

The Shop

5/2/2017 6:36pm
It's a grueling job. But fun. You will find it tough to keep up with John Ayers, that man works non stop, and knows his stuff...
It's a grueling job. But fun. You will find it tough to keep up with John Ayers, that man works non stop, and knows his stuff. Not sure if John Jr is still doing it as well, but he was cool too.

Listen, learn, and hustle. There will be lots of cool moments along the way. You might not get much down time, but you will be immersed in all the action.
Best and worst parts about it? Do we get to leave the tracks at all or are we basically stuck there all week?
JustMX
5/2/2017 6:47pm Edited Date/Time 5/2/2017 6:48pm
It's a grueling job. But fun. You will find it tough to keep up with John Ayers, that man works non stop, and knows his stuff...

Best and worst parts about it? Do we get to leave the tracks at all or are we basically stuck there all week?
I have worked multiple nationals as an equipment operator.

The track crew busts their asses.
The toughest part has to be doing the repeaters.

Driving about a thousand stakes, all by hand, in the rock hard ground that is often alongside the track.

Then hanging the repeater and sawing off the stakes.

All this happens no matter what the weather, scalding hot or pouring rain, and also often while amateur events are going on the day before the big show. Of course none of the ams run off the track and tear up what you just finished......right?
5/2/2017 6:51pm Edited Date/Time 5/2/2017 6:51pm
JustMX wrote:
I have worked multiple nationals as an equipment operator. The track crew busts their asses. The toughest part has to be doing the repeaters. Driving about...
I have worked multiple nationals as an equipment operator.

The track crew busts their asses.
The toughest part has to be doing the repeaters.

Driving about a thousand stakes, all by hand, in the rock hard ground that is often alongside the track.

Then hanging the repeater and sawing off the stakes.

All this happens no matter what the weather, scalding hot or pouring rain, and also often while amateur events are going on the day before the big show. Of course none of the ams run off the track and tear up what you just finished......right?
Guilty on that last statement, sorry boys
5/2/2017 6:55pm
Nice man! Im a little worried as it's quite a commitment to go around the country for the summer with no one I've ever met. Look...
Kaiusive wrote:
I feel the same way! I'm sure we will meet a lot of awesome people though! Can't wait.
When we fly into Sacramento lets try and meet up. Get a buddy system going hahah
Kaiusive
5/2/2017 7:00pm
Kaiusive wrote:
When we fly into Sacramento lets try and meet up. Get a buddy system going hahah
Sounds good!, There booking my flight this week then I can let you know what time I'm arriving and we can go from there!
5/2/2017 7:02pm
Kaiusive wrote:
Sounds good!, There booking my flight this week then I can let you know what time I'm arriving and we can go from there!
They just booked mine today, I'll be landing in Sacramento around 1PM on the 15th I believe.
Kaiusive
5/2/2017 7:12pm
Kaiusive wrote:
They just booked mine today, I'll be landing in Sacramento around 1PM on the 15th I believe.
They should be booking mine tomorrow I figured it would be about the same time probably where are you coming from?
KirkChandler
Fantasy
278th
5/2/2017 7:12pm
I never worked for Gear directly, I was one of the promoters of a National for 2 years and helped out at 2 other Nationals to get ready so I worked with a bunch of the guys.

I couldn't answer what's the hard part. Probably the constant go. One race ends and you are tearing down so you can get on the road to the next one as fast as possible. All I know is the first year the race before ours was Steel City, and John Ayers was in California on Monday evening ready to go. Probably worked 150 hours of that week myself. We were the last round so the crew was pumped to be done.
5/2/2017 7:13pm
Kaiusive wrote:
They should be booking mine tomorrow I figured it would be about the same time probably where are you coming from?
Portland, OR! Tracie told me that they were trying to get everyone landing at the same time roughly so hopefully that works out in our favor.
Kaiusive
5/2/2017 7:15pm
Kaiusive wrote:
Portland, OR! Tracie told me that they were trying to get everyone landing at the same time roughly so hopefully that works out in our favor.
Hopefully! I will be coming from St. Louis Missouri!
Beeby
5/2/2017 7:48pm
To clarify. This is track maintenance crew? Is it paid? Do they cover your travel costs?

I always assumed the location had its own team, never realised there was a travelling crew.
Kaiusive
5/2/2017 7:50pm
Beeby wrote:
To clarify. This is track maintenance crew? Is it paid? Do they cover your travel costs? I always assumed the location had its own team, never...
To clarify. This is track maintenance crew? Is it paid? Do they cover your travel costs?

I always assumed the location had its own team, never realised there was a travelling crew.
Yes,Yes, And Yes
Beeby
5/2/2017 7:57pm
Well I am surprised. I imagine there would be LOTS of people signing up to do that job. I'm sure it's hard work but what an experience
5/2/2017 8:01pm
Beeby wrote:
Well I am surprised. I imagine there would be LOTS of people signing up to do that job. I'm sure it's hard work but what an...
Well I am surprised. I imagine there would be LOTS of people signing up to do that job. I'm sure it's hard work but what an experience
Yeah I'm sure it will be hard work but when I got the phone call and he offered me the position I had to sit back and think "wow, what an opportunity". Being a young guy with a job that I can come back too when I get back after the season, I had to say yes. I'm just as passionate about motocross as the next guy and I'll probably never get an opportunity like this again. I'm sure I'll have some stories to tell when I get back, that's for sure.
Kaiusive
5/2/2017 8:02pm
Beeby wrote:
Well I am surprised. I imagine there would be LOTS of people signing up to do that job. I'm sure it's hard work but what an...
Yeah I'm sure it will be hard work but when I got the phone call and he offered me the position I had to sit back...
Yeah I'm sure it will be hard work but when I got the phone call and he offered me the position I had to sit back and think "wow, what an opportunity". Being a young guy with a job that I can come back too when I get back after the season, I had to say yes. I'm just as passionate about motocross as the next guy and I'll probably never get an opportunity like this again. I'm sure I'll have some stories to tell when I get back, that's for sure.
I agree, And you never know we could meet some cool people and advance in the industry you never know.
mb60
5/2/2017 8:03pm
You guys should keep a vital journal.
5/2/2017 8:07pm
mb60 wrote:
You guys should keep a vital journal.
Is that possible? Me and Kai should definitely do that. Post daily updates if you guys would be interested in what it's like to travel with the pro motocross gang..
Kaiusive
5/2/2017 8:10pm
That would be awesome! I'm sure we will have plenty of memeries through out the whole season good and bad haha
JustMX
5/2/2017 8:29pm
I suspect "daily" updates might fall by the wayside when sleep becomes more of a priority.
5/2/2017 8:32pm
JustMX wrote:
I suspect "daily" updates might fall by the wayside when sleep becomes more of a priority.
Of course we will see how it is when we get there.. I'll try but no promises haha
Beeby
5/2/2017 9:03pm
Beeby wrote:
Yeah I'm sure it will be hard work but when I got the phone call and he offered me the position I had to sit back...
Yeah cool experience. Savour it
KBOLTZ
5/2/2017 9:11pm
Good luck to you both. I've been a part of a few traveling circuses as an athlete but honestly what you guys are about to do is much harder. I used to lend a hand because I felt guilty for riding around enjoying myself haha. You will make MANY memories, have some challenges, and meet some awesome people. Have fun and work hard! Would love if you guys could keep us in the loop on how it goes... if your not too beat to write it up. Cheers!
5/2/2017 9:54pm
KBOLTZ wrote:
Good luck to you both. I've been a part of a few traveling circuses as an athlete but honestly what you guys are about to do...
Good luck to you both. I've been a part of a few traveling circuses as an athlete but honestly what you guys are about to do is much harder. I used to lend a hand because I felt guilty for riding around enjoying myself haha. You will make MANY memories, have some challenges, and meet some awesome people. Have fun and work hard! Would love if you guys could keep us in the loop on how it goes... if your not too beat to write it up. Cheers!
The idea is to work my ass off this season and maybe land a job with a team or something along those lines. I've heard a lot that in this industry it's about who you know, not what you know.
captmoto
5/2/2017 10:59pm
I was going to let my son know about it and forgot. He is not a racer but has grown up with it in the house. He is doing sound production and lighting right now. He has a ton of band touring experience and for some sick reason loves being on the road in a 10 passenger van. Maybe next year.
DC
5/3/2017 6:45am
This is hard work, boys, but it's good work and you will have a blast being around the races all summer long. You will meet a lot of motocross people, and if an industry job is what you want, this is a great way to get your foot in the door. John Ayers Jr. is the man in charge, all-around good guy and also a good rider, and very hard worker. Get a mountain bike on the rig if you can, great way to see what's around this great land of ours...

Look me up beginning at Hangtown, I always try to help out and can usually be found on the infield during the races.

Oh, and the hardest part comes on Saturdays after the race, when most are either leaving or tailgating, and you're out there trying to take take overhead arches and dismantling everything. That's the ugh moment.

DC
Racer X
Kaiusive
5/3/2017 1:11pm
Kaiusive wrote:
Kaiusive wrote:
Hopefully! I will be coming from St. Louis Missouri!
I get in at 11:59!

Post a reply to: Pro motocross track crew.. anyone done it before?

The Latest