Pro Circuit 450 vs Monster Kawi 450

shredder22
Edited Date/Time 3/6/2014 6:38pm
I was just thinking about Broc's 450 PC ride as well as Deano and Tyla riding 450's outdoors last year. How "factory" are the PC bikes. How do they stack up to RV and Weimer's bike?
|
ML512
Fantasy
54th
3/5/2014 7:55pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2014 7:56pm
shredder22 wrote:
I was just thinking about Broc's 450 PC ride as well as Deano and Tyla riding 450's outdoors last year. How "factory" are the PC bikes...
I was just thinking about Broc's 450 PC ride as well as Deano and Tyla riding 450's outdoors last year. How "factory" are the PC bikes. How do they stack up to RV and Weimer's bike?
That's a pretty open ended question, are you asking for differences in the bike or what kind of parts they share etc? It's pretty much impossible to say how they stack up, the only person who can realy judge that is Rattray (he is the only guy off the top of my head that I can think of that has rode both in full race trim).
shredder22
3/5/2014 8:17pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2014 8:18pm
shredder22 wrote:
I was just thinking about Broc's 450 PC ride as well as Deano and Tyla riding 450's outdoors last year. How "factory" are the PC bikes...
ML512 wrote:
That's a pretty open ended question, are you asking for differences in the bike or what kind of parts they share etc? It's pretty much impossible...
That's a pretty open ended question, are you asking for differences in the bike or what kind of parts they share etc? It's pretty much impossible to say how they stack up, the only person who can realy judge that is Rattray (he is the only guy off the top of my head that I can think of that has rode both in full race trim).
I mean how "factory" are the PC 450's. I know PC is Kawasaki's factory 250 effort, so I was just wondering if the PC bike shares all, some, or hardly any of the Factory Kawi parts.

I agree it's hard to determine how they stack up to one another. But I have heard that Eli's 450 is the same as Barcia and Canards 450, just like the RCH bikes are the same as Stewarts bike. So basically I was wondering if PC received similar kind of factory support as RV's bike or if PC had to build the bike all on their own.
mxb2
3/5/2014 8:23pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2014 8:24pm
i think you can buy any part like the pc 450 uses. except tranny and pipe, pipes are built different than the ones sold to the public. probably 75k in that bike. Tomacs bike is a factory bike with geico graphics. Hahns bike is a great bike done by fc .
ML512
Fantasy
54th
3/5/2014 8:40pm
shredder22 wrote:
ML512 wrote:
That's a pretty open ended question, are you asking for differences in the bike or what kind of parts they share etc? It's pretty much impossible...
shredder22 wrote:
I mean how "factory" are the PC 450's. I know PC is Kawasaki's factory 250 effort, so I was just wondering if the PC bike shares...
I mean how "factory" are the PC 450's. I know PC is Kawasaki's factory 250 effort, so I was just wondering if the PC bike shares all, some, or hardly any of the Factory Kawi parts.

I agree it's hard to determine how they stack up to one another. But I have heard that Eli's 450 is the same as Barcia and Canards 450, just like the RCH bikes are the same as Stewarts bike. So basically I was wondering if PC received similar kind of factory support as RV's bike or if PC had to build the bike all on their own.
Okay that is a bit easier to answer, PC's 450 is theirs, their motor, electronics, suspension, chassis parts etc. PC does get hubs and a works nissin brake from Kawasaki but thats really the only parts you can look at the bikes and notice. They each have a separate engine program, they may run the same transmission on the 450 or have their own. Suspension programs are separate, although they both run Showa, the components are different.

The Shop

shredder22
3/5/2014 8:49pm
ML512 wrote:
Okay that is a bit easier to answer, PC's 450 is theirs, their motor, electronics, suspension, chassis parts etc. PC does get hubs and a works...
Okay that is a bit easier to answer, PC's 450 is theirs, their motor, electronics, suspension, chassis parts etc. PC does get hubs and a works nissin brake from Kawasaki but thats really the only parts you can look at the bikes and notice. They each have a separate engine program, they may run the same transmission on the 450 or have their own. Suspension programs are separate, although they both run Showa, the components are different.
Thanks!
mxb2
3/5/2014 9:04pm
ML512 wrote:
shredder22 wrote:
I mean how "factory" are the PC 450's. I know PC is Kawasaki's factory 250 effort, so I was just wondering if the PC bike shares...

ML512 wrote:
Okay that is a bit easier to answer, PC's 450 is theirs, their motor, electronics, suspension, chassis parts etc. PC does get hubs and a works...
pc uses haan hubs,battfly rotors, nissan calipers, and the A kit anyone can buy. i think the tranny goes for about 30k.
shredder22
3/5/2014 9:07pm
mxb2 wrote:
pc uses haan hubs,battfly rotors, nissan calipers, and the A kit anyone can buy. i think the tranny goes for about 30k.
thanks! 30k for a transmission? Damn!

What do you guys think the average price tag for a full works Monster Kawi, Musclemilk Honda, Redbull KTM, etc would be?
BobPA
3/5/2014 9:09pm
mxb2 wrote:
That sounds a beat steep for the tranny...
mxb2
3/5/2014 9:10pm
mxb2 wrote:
shredder22 wrote:
thanks! 30k for a transmission? Damn! What do you guys think the average price tag for a full works Monster Kawi, Musclemilk Honda, Redbull KTM, etc...
thanks! 30k for a transmission? Damn!

What do you guys think the average price tag for a full works Monster Kawi, Musclemilk Honda, Redbull KTM, etc would be?
i bet 120k, my guess. and i cannot remember where the article was that quoted 30k for pourcels pc 250 tranny price tag was.
mxb2
3/5/2014 9:12pm
mxb2 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
That sounds a beat steep for the tranny...
i saw a tranny in dc on the corner for a ,$100 lol.
mxb2
3/5/2014 9:28pm
msmola2002 wrote:
And like a 100 dollar tranny was it missing teeth?
hahaa, not sure didnt get close enough.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
3/5/2014 9:52pm
mxb2 wrote:
They sell Haan hubs but don't use them on the race bikes, and the price tag on the transmission is a bit off... its pricey but not that high Wink
mxb2
3/5/2014 9:54pm
mxb2 wrote:
ML512 wrote:
They sell Haan hubs but don't use them on the race bikes, and the price tag on the transmission is a bit off... its pricey but...
They sell Haan hubs but don't use them on the race bikes, and the price tag on the transmission is a bit off... its pricey but not that high Wink
now i gotta find that article on price and hubs lol.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
3/5/2014 9:57pm
mxb2 wrote:
ML512 wrote:
They sell Haan hubs but don't use them on the race bikes, and the price tag on the transmission is a bit off... its pricey but...
mxb2 wrote:
now i gotta find that article on price and hubs lol.
I know what article your talking about, it's a bit offSmile
ML512
Fantasy
54th
3/5/2014 10:00pm
The hardest part with pricing the race bikes is the actual hard parts cost in each bike vs the cost of the bikes, parts and development. Those numbers are as you can guess, are drastically different.
3/5/2014 10:11pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2014 10:20pm
In the 450 class...what good, really, are factory bits going to do you?

Most of the value in a factory motor is the development on the ECU to make high HP+ rideable (ie throttle gear mapping and good partial throttle feel), not in actually making a lot more power. Any team can develop that if they put in the time and effort. There is no special technology there that you can not buy and develop yourself. High end ECU technology (Motec etc) has been available for a decade.

Suspension? Factory suspension a few clicks off is worse than A-kit stuff from Enzo/FC/RG3 set up perfect. Again...any team can put in the work and get the settings pretty good if they have the right people on staff. Is JS7s suspension really even "factory". Their guru is the RG3 guy...right?

Weight. OK..I see how you can spend some money there. Ti will set you back some coin. But if you make every nut bolt and rod Ti...it will set you back about $10K I think. Are there any more critical parts that are Ti?...like engine internals (I know everyone uses Del West Ti Valves...but other than that?) Again...anyone can buy this stuff.

Tranny. $30K is a gross over estimate. If you hire an Engineer who has done gear design, you can spec it out yourself...and get a complete new stack made to fit. There are dozens of motorsports gear mfgs that know how to make gears with the right metallurgy and tolerances...MUCH better than OEM in fact. Maybe $10K to get actual parts made to your specs. Or if you are a satellite team...you can pay retail from the factory.... Word was prior to the season, Chad's price for a custom ratio Kawi was $15-$20K.. The main benefit is a really high and more useable 1st, and the rest of the ratios spaced off of that.

As ML512 noted...much of the dollars on the team go towards developing the settings... A non factory team can spend the same money in the same manner...and often get the same results...with a baseline bike that is a lot cheaper. Making a CNC brake lever or some other do-dad just because you can does not always make the bike faster.

Factory is not better than non-factory. Is it MONEY that matters. It can all be bought. Factory or not.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
3/5/2014 10:18pm
In the 450 class...what good, really, are factory bits going to do you? Most of the value in a factory motor is the development on the...
In the 450 class...what good, really, are factory bits going to do you?

Most of the value in a factory motor is the development on the ECU to make high HP+ rideable (ie throttle gear mapping and good partial throttle feel), not in actually making a lot more power. Any team can develop that if they put in the time and effort. There is no special technology there that you can not buy and develop yourself. High end ECU technology (Motec etc) has been available for a decade.

Suspension? Factory suspension a few clicks off is worse than A-kit stuff from Enzo/FC/RG3 set up perfect. Again...any team can put in the work and get the settings pretty good if they have the right people on staff. Is JS7s suspension really even "factory". Their guru is the RG3 guy...right?

Weight. OK..I see how you can spend some money there. Ti will set you back some coin. But if you make every nut bolt and rod Ti...it will set you back about $10K I think. Are there any more critical parts that are Ti?...like engine internals (I know everyone uses Del West Ti Valves...but other than that?) Again...anyone can buy this stuff.

Tranny. $30K is a gross over estimate. If you hire an Engineer who has done gear design, you can spec it out yourself...and get a complete new stack made to fit. There are dozens of motorsports gear mfgs that know how to make gears with the right metallurgy and tolerances...MUCH better than OEM in fact. Maybe $10K to get actual parts made to your specs. Or if you are a satellite team...you can pay retail from the factory.... Word was prior to the season, Chad's price for a custom ratio Kawi was $15-$20K.. The main benefit is a really high and more useable 1st, and the rest of the ratios spaced off of that.

As ML512 noted...much of the dollars on the team go towards developing the settings... A non factory team can spend the same money in the same manner...and often get the same results...with a baseline bike that is a lot cheaper. Making a CNC brake lever or some other do-dad just because you can does not always make the bike faster.

Factory is not better than non-factory. Is it MONEY that matters. It can all be bought. Factory or not.
There are some titanium rods being run, and the Ti price is a little high for bolts. Companies like J27, Racetech titanium mettec now sell complete kits for most major models for around $4000+-
3/5/2014 10:28pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2014 10:36pm
Agreed...but anyone can buy that. Any team could do it. The knowledge that was only held by a few 20 years ago....is now widely dispersed. The information age.... The gears in a MX bike are pretty simple. It is just a constant mesh spur gear box. Guys like Emco could make a set for you no problem if you gave them proper specs. Split the cases. Verify center distances to within a few thou...figure out the spline specs...the rest is easy reverse engineering for an experienced geartrain engineer. If you really want to get fancy..thin up the gear webs to save weight, and upgrade materials. Have them made from something like Ferrium C64, 9310/EN36, X53, or 8620...with the gear surfaces and dog surfaces carburized. Std gear mfg stuff.

http://www.emcogears.com/custom-gearing/
Juss
3/5/2014 10:29pm
You really think RV needs a $30k transmission to win?
3/5/2014 10:35pm
Juss wrote:
Nope... which is another good point.

What is Andrew shorts best finish in 2013 and 2014? One of those top finishes was on a nearly stock bike...with Enzo suspension.
Juss
3/5/2014 10:45pm
Juss wrote:
Nope... which is another good point. What is Andrew shorts best finish in 2013 and 2014? One of those top finishes was on a nearly stock...

What is Andrew shorts best finish in 2013 and 2014? One of those top finishes was on a nearly stock bike...with Enzo suspension.
Didn't he win Seattle a few years ago, on a pretty much stock bike?
tek14
3/5/2014 10:54pm
I hear many teams getting Hubs from factory. How are they better than Haan/Kite/Talon hubs? Made from Magnesium or just better aluminium with less material?
Stephon
3/5/2014 11:27pm
Since the factories, in a sense, are selling these parts and services back to themselves. From a business POV wouldn't it be to their advantage for the prices to be higher than lower? Since, I assume, it's a business expense written off against earnings?

I understand that these parts/services/labor are going to cost more because of the specialized R&D, labor and they don't have the advantage of a high volume production run, etc.

Or maybe not...I certainly have no idea.
shredder22
3/6/2014 12:31am Edited Date/Time 3/6/2014 12:31am
Juss wrote:
Nope... which is another good point. What is Andrew shorts best finish in 2013 and 2014? One of those top finishes was on a nearly stock...

Juss wrote:
Didn't he win Seattle a few years ago, on a pretty much stock bike?
I'm pretty sure he was riding a factory or semi factory honda when he won in seattle 2012 I believe. He was on a factory or close to it bike last year until Chaparaal went under, then he raced a stock crf450 for a while until he signed on with BTO KTM.

So no I don't think he won on a stock bike, but he did pretty well in SX last year on a pretty much stock bike.
3/6/2014 1:28am
Stephon wrote:
Since the factories, in a sense, are selling these parts and services back to themselves. From a business POV wouldn't it be to their advantage for...
Since the factories, in a sense, are selling these parts and services back to themselves. From a business POV wouldn't it be to their advantage for the prices to be higher than lower? Since, I assume, it's a business expense written off against earnings?

I understand that these parts/services/labor are going to cost more because of the specialized R&D, labor and they don't have the advantage of a high volume production run, etc.

The best explanation I've heard regarding the high cost of "works" parts is this...

"The factory is using the cost of works parts to get profits and money out of America and back to Japan. A set of custom Ti footpegs doesn't cost anywhere near $3,000 to develop and build, yet that's what the Japanese factory will bill the American branch of the racing effort. That wasy they pay 3 grand for a 500$ set of pegs and Japan has gotten some extra money back to the homeland."
3/6/2014 2:57am
Stephon wrote:
Since the factories, in a sense, are selling these parts and services back to themselves. From a business POV wouldn't it be to their advantage for...

The best explanation I've heard regarding the high cost of "works" parts is this... "The factory is using the cost of works parts to get profits...
The best explanation I've heard regarding the high cost of "works" parts is this...

"The factory is using the cost of works parts to get profits and money out of America and back to Japan. A set of custom Ti footpegs doesn't cost anywhere near $3,000 to develop and build, yet that's what the Japanese factory will bill the American branch of the racing effort. That wasy they pay 3 grand for a 500$ set of pegs and Japan has gotten some extra money back to the homeland."
I was a race team manager back in the day we had some factory swing arms for our road race team. 4 swing arms @$16,000 each. Slightly shocked at the price I asked my boss in Japan to check that the price was correct. It was, and he took the time to explain to me the price was based on the fact that the engineering Dept that built them took three weeks to design and build them for us. As the cost to run that dept for the year was @$1,200,000 that meant the so 3 weeks of their time (and the Alloy) was $64,000.

Same thing for things like the price of factory forks, gear boxes etc if they only make 10 sets a year........the cost it huge.
3/6/2014 7:09am
mxb2 wrote:
That was the price I heard. Special material, tolerancing, finishing and coatings. I was told that they were built by a company that does F-1 trannys.

Post a reply to: Pro Circuit 450 vs Monster Kawi 450

The Latest