Privateer Tales: Jared the Cattle Rancher

GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
4/8/2016 8:59pm Edited Date/Time 4/9/2016 7:28am
While packing up in the press room after the Supercross in Santa Clara, I got a call from an old friend of mine, Geoff Patterson. He'd just had something really unusual happen to him (and a few privateers), and he wanted to share the tale.

He and his family were sitting in their motorhome after the race when he noticed a guy walking back and forth outside. As Geoff tells it, "He stopped by the rig at about 10:30. I was there alone with my daughter, Cammie, and RJ Wageman's girlfriend, Francesca. His name is Jared. He's a cattle farmer in Northern California. He did't want to be identified any more than that. He'd been obviously enjoyed his time at the race, but he was clear in his objective. He simply wanted to give to the privateers. After telling me over and over again he just wanted to, 'Lay some paper on the table,' and not allowing me to take his information to give thanks, either via a logo on the bikes, the rig, or a shout-out, I finally relented and let him put the cash on the entry door table. I didn't touch it, but it looked to be a LOT of $100 bills. Scotty Wennerstrom then walked up. After explaining it to him, Scotty tried to give him one of his goggles as a thank you. He declined. Then he asked if there was another rider he could help. I explained it was really late and most had already left. To that Scotty said Cody Gilmore just shattered his jaw. In an instant Jared then pulled out another BIG fold of 100s. Scotty assured him he would get him the money. We also told him we supported a rookie RJ Wageman, that got hurt, too. After he left, we (along with Scotty's mechanic, Beeks) stood there in disbelief. It took a few moments to sink in, and then we divided the money up between Scotty, Cody, RJ, Beeks (who pays his own way to get to the races for Scotty, he's never been paid) and myself to help pay for the rig. At that time, Scotty got in his rental and drove to the hospital and gave Cody money. By this time it was around 12:00."

"A week later and I'm still blown away that a random supporter would lay down two stacks of "paper" with 25 $100 bills in each stack!

So to Jared the Cattle Rancher, a huge shout-out to you from Pasha Racing, Hitch Hotel, Scotty Wennerstrom, and Beeks, Cody Gilmore, and RJ Wageman. The "paper" will go along way! Thank you!

|
oshow
4/8/2016 9:06pm
I would think he is a Grower , and not of cattle. Anyway good for him, they need his support.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
4/8/2016 10:13pm
oshow wrote:
I would think he is a Grower , and not of cattle. Anyway good for him, they need his support.
Oh boy.
dirtnapper
4/8/2016 10:34pm
oshow wrote:
Easy now.....Wink

Cool story, regardless.

( unless it turns out to be counterfeit money..........Woohoo )
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
4/8/2016 10:37pm
That's awesome! Next time I see RJ and Geoff I will ask them about this. It's great to hear about things like this happening

The Shop

Cancerman
4/8/2016 11:12pm
Maybe the guy's a grower out of Colorado, which makes it legal, for the most part. They can't bank any cash due to Federal laws, so maybe he's sitting on a pile. Good thing to do, anyways. Money is going to go somewhere, this is as good as anywhere else.
FWYT
4/8/2016 11:45pm
That's frigging awesome.
4/9/2016 4:45am
That's incredible. What a great person, no matter what they grow.
MX Culture
4/9/2016 6:13am
Cody texted me a few days ago (jaw is wired shut with several plates) that a guy gave him a big amount of money and to ask Scotty wennerstorm who it was.
Now we know.
Mini Elsinore
4/9/2016 6:37am
oshow wrote:
GuyB wrote:
Oh boy.
In the current economy, that was my immediate thought as well.... Doesn't mean he's an outlaw.
Very cool thing to do.
TailSoHard
4/9/2016 6:43am
Awesome story! I'd sport a "Jared the Cattle Rancher" sticker on my bike for sure
oshow
4/9/2016 7:16am
oshow wrote:
GuyB wrote:
Oh boy.
In the current economy, that was my immediate thought as well.... Doesn't mean he's an outlaw.
Very cool thing to do.
Exactly
vetmxr
4/9/2016 7:28am Edited Date/Time 4/9/2016 7:40am
oshow wrote:
Don't kid yourself with thinking this guy, if he is a cattle man, shouldn't have that kind of money. Next time you are around a cattle man look at his wifes ring on her finger.......these boys have money and most could easily buy and sell your average pot dealer without transfering money. :} Just sounds like a good ol boy to me. Why look a gift horse in the mouth. Good people do good things all the time....assholes just get all the attention.

Post a reply to: Privateer Tales: Jared the Cattle Rancher

The Latest