Preston on JS7

Braaap14
8/31/2012 9:55am Edited Date/Time 9/2/2012 9:05am
Damn.

"JAMES STEWART

James Stewart ended up 15th overall at Unadilla. This photo sums up James's year. At least now we can all agree the Yamaha was not the problem. James won Hangtown and Freestone because he didn't have time to mess up the Suzuki. He switched teams right before the Nationals started and probably didn't have time to do a lot of testing. As the season goes on, he does more testing and makes the bike worse. I thought his bike looked good at Hangtown and Freestone. Now the bike is low in the back and just kicking him all over the track. His lack of knowledge when testing is not his only problem. "
|
BAMX
8/31/2012 9:59am
Sad but probably true.
peelout
8/31/2012 10:01am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2012 10:02am
spot on.

everyone that said (myself included) his bike looked great at the first two races go watch them again. his suspension is working perfectly, and Freestone was no freeway. watch the last few races he has done, and the way his bike looks is completely different.

harsh words from TP, but we all know there is no love lost between the two of them
BD49
8/31/2012 10:07am
I'd like someone with a more impressive resume to critique a person who has accomplished far more than Travis Preston ever could on two wheels.
DownSouth
8/31/2012 10:13am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2012 10:14am
BD49 wrote:
I'd like someone with a more impressive resume to critique a person who has accomplished far more than Travis Preston ever could on two wheels.
Preston defeated Stewart to win a championship. Does that count for anything?

The Shop

peelout
8/31/2012 10:16am
BD49 wrote:
people criticized Gary Bailey for bringing up valid points about James' technique, it's a vicious cycle to critique one of the best of the sport
DL
8/31/2012 10:23am
Preston does have the credentials to make a comment like that IMHO. FYI, buzz with with factory suspension tuners say the same thing.
bradmx421
8/31/2012 10:28am
BD49 wrote:
DownSouth wrote:
Not only that, but Preston has been known to be a really superb test rider. laughing my ass off, at the more impressive resume comment..... who in your mind would be a more impressive resume? some fat reporter that can barely throw a leg over a bike?
8/31/2012 10:28am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2012 10:29am
Preston has a shit ton more credentials than 99.999% of the people on here but it doesn't mean he is right.
Grieby54
8/31/2012 10:31am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2012 10:33am
I like TP, but damn. I agree with BD, if Preston really knew how James could go faster, chances are Preston would have been faster than James. As far as I'm concerned, there are only about 5 guys on this planet that can legitimately critique his technique - RV, RD, RC, TC, CR. These are the only guys that have been able to consistently run with or run away from James.

Still a bit bitter about the issue in Toronto? You stay classy, Preston.
peelout
8/31/2012 10:37am
Grieby54 wrote:
I like TP, but damn. I agree with BD, if Preston really knew how James could go faster, chances are Preston would have been faster than...
I like TP, but damn. I agree with BD, if Preston really knew how James could go faster, chances are Preston would have been faster than James. As far as I'm concerned, there are only about 5 guys on this planet that can legitimately critique his technique - RV, RD, RC, TC, CR. These are the only guys that have been able to consistently run with or run away from James.

that's a fucking lame argument, do you really believe that there are only 5 guys that can say anything about his technique? or about his setup? pull your head out of the sand, bro.

Stewart is notoriously a bad tester and bad at setting up a bike. hence the reason he hired Ferry to set up his yamaha. so what makes Ferry qualified and not Preston? some dudes get it and some dudes don't.
mx_563
8/31/2012 10:37am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2012 10:46am
I think Preston was critiquing James' bike mostly and I think his credentials are more than adequate for that. So he lays that down as the foundation and ultimately draws the conclusion that James is a bad test rider. Travis is entitled to have an opinion and the foundation for it seems pretty legitimate IMO.
Ing
8/31/2012 10:39am
Grieby54 wrote:
I like TP, but damn. I agree with BD, if Preston really knew how James could go faster, chances are Preston would have been faster than...

You got to admit, the incident in Toronto would just about make you bitter for quite some time.
Braaap14
8/31/2012 10:42am
BD49 wrote:
like you ? let's see your resume bro
Braaap14
8/31/2012 10:44am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2012 10:46am
Grieby54 wrote:

Ricky went alot faster, and I Gaurantee you he set his exact same bike, you know that one he influenced the development and egnineering of , entirely different.

go back and look at reed on suzuki, exact same bike, way different setup.

The Dunge was on the same bike, same shock, same forks, just 1 year ago and if you study the tape, you can see the difference in setup.

I'm not blaming the bike, I'm not blaming james.

Crashes happen at those speeds on these tracks with this level of competition,

but since the last days of the 250cc 2 stroke, James & Bikes' haven't looked as great. sadly
Skip376
8/31/2012 10:46am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2012 10:47am
I think everyone knows that Preston already has a horse in the race because he works for JGR.

How does he even know of James changed anything on the bike?
BAMX
8/31/2012 10:46am
Grieby54 wrote:

His argument was 100% about bike setup not technique. I don't know if I agree since he has proven that he will COW if others are close to his speed or a little faster, regardless of the color of bike.
Braaap14
8/31/2012 10:48am
Skip376 wrote:
I think everyone knows that Preston already has a horse in the race because he works for JGR. How does he even know of James changed...
I think everyone knows that Preston already has a horse in the race because he works for JGR.

I don't think there is an employee at jgr with bad feelings towards james,

maybe towards the situation and the public image it created, by man to man upset with james? highly doubt it
BD49
8/31/2012 10:51am
BD49 wrote:
DownSouth wrote:
Not really. In James rookie year?

Let RV, RC, CR or RD make some critiques.....
FroDiddy
8/31/2012 10:53am
Skip376 wrote:
I think everyone knows that Preston already has a horse in the race because he works for JGR. How does he even know of James changed...

Well...between that and Toronto.

James will be fine. I don't think anyone can argue that he doesn't look better on the Suzuki than he did at JGR.

Man, the 2013 SX season can't come fast enough.
Switch
8/31/2012 10:54am
This^^

Someone better tell every pro football coach in the country to pound pavement. I'm sure they can't throw, catch, block or run like the guys they are critiquing.

Lame arguement.
BR_HERO
8/31/2012 10:56am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2012 10:57am
Link to article?
BAMX
8/31/2012 11:00am
BD49 wrote:
DownSouth wrote:
BD49 wrote:

Why?....So that you could cry about that and run around saying it was classless for them to criticize him.
DavidR
8/31/2012 11:00am
BD49 wrote:
DownSouth wrote:
BD49 wrote:

So by your rationale James' 2002 125cc mx title doesn't count since it was "James' rookie year" or is that different?
Grieby54
8/31/2012 11:00am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2012 11:04am
mx_563 wrote:
I think Preston was critiquing James' bike mostly and I think his credentials are more than adequate for that. So he lays that down as the...
I think Preston was critiquing James' bike mostly and I think his credentials are more than adequate for that. So he lays that down as the foundation and ultimately draws the conclusion that James is a bad test rider. Travis is entitled to have an opinion and the foundation for it seems pretty legitimate IMO.
I think you missed this part: "His lack of knowledge when testing is not his only problem." That's the last sentence of his paragraph about James, and then the next paragraph in the original article.

And yes, I firmly believe that if you COULD do it you WOULD be doing it. But if you can't do it, how are you supposed to tell somebody else how to do it?
Grieby54
8/31/2012 11:02am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2012 11:04am
peelout wrote:
that's a fucking lame argument, do you really believe that there are only 5 guys that can say anything about his technique? or about his setup...
that's a fucking lame argument, do you really believe that there are only 5 guys that can say anything about his technique? or about his setup? pull your head out of the sand, bro.

Stewart is notoriously a bad tester and bad at setting up a bike. hence the reason he hired Ferry to set up his yamaha. so what makes Ferry qualified and not Preston? some dudes get it and some dudes don't.
I've heard James is a bad tester, and I entirely believe that. I have no doubt that Preston is a better tester and could help with James's testing immensely. My comment was geared towards the last sentence he wrote, bro, as well as the rest of the article that was not posted by the OP. How about you read the whole fucking article.
BD49
8/31/2012 11:05am
BD49 wrote:
Braaap14 wrote:
My resume isn't strong enough to critique Travis anymore than his is to critique someone with multiple major championships, who will be in the AMA Hall of Fame. Bro.

When you have a website that promotes your school and these are the accomplishments you list to promote yourself:

ACCOMPLISHMENTS

1999 AMA Pro Motocross Top Privateer
2001 125cc Houston Supercross Winner (On a HUSKY!)
2002 125cc West Coast Supercross Champion
2005 450cc AMA Pro Motocross 5th Overall
2006 450cc AMA Pro Motocross 5th Overall
2007 450cc Anaheim 1 Supercross—4th
2007 450cc Phoenix Supercross—4th

And then you try to critique a guy whose resume looks like this:
2006 Motocross of Nations Champion
2008 Motocross of Nations Champion

2003 AMA 125 West Supercross Champion
2004 AMA 125 East Supercross Champion
National finals
2002 AMA 125 Motocross National Champion
2004 AMA 125 Motocross National Champion
2007 AMA Supercross Champion
2008 AMA Motocross National Champion
2009 AMA Supercross Champion

It just doesn't hold any credibility to me. It's like a quarterback in the Canadian Football League trying to critique Drew Brees.
Switch
8/31/2012 11:07am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2012 11:08am
BD49 wrote:
Braaap14 wrote:
BD49 wrote:
My resume isn't strong enough to critique Travis anymore than his is to critique someone with multiple major championships, who will be in the AMA Hall...
My resume isn't strong enough to critique Travis anymore than his is to critique someone with multiple major championships, who will be in the AMA Hall of Fame. Bro.

When you have a website that promotes your school and these are the accomplishments you list to promote yourself:

ACCOMPLISHMENTS

1999 AMA Pro Motocross Top Privateer
2001 125cc Houston Supercross Winner (On a HUSKY!)
2002 125cc West Coast Supercross Champion
2005 450cc AMA Pro Motocross 5th Overall
2006 450cc AMA Pro Motocross 5th Overall
2007 450cc Anaheim 1 Supercross—4th
2007 450cc Phoenix Supercross—4th

And then you try to critique a guy whose resume looks like this:
2006 Motocross of Nations Champion
2008 Motocross of Nations Champion

2003 AMA 125 West Supercross Champion
2004 AMA 125 East Supercross Champion
National finals
2002 AMA 125 Motocross National Champion
2004 AMA 125 Motocross National Champion
2007 AMA Supercross Champion
2008 AMA Motocross National Champion
2009 AMA Supercross Champion

It just doesn't hold any credibility to me. It's like a quarterback in the Canadian Football League trying to critique Drew Brees.
So who is Drew Brees' QB coach and past coaches that got him to where he is at? According to you, those guys better damn well be a hall of famer to even think he's allowed to coach Drew... let alone write an article saying how he could be better (which is what we have here)
Skip376
8/31/2012 11:08am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2012 11:10am
Skip376 wrote:

Braaap14 wrote:
I don't think there is an employee at jgr with bad feelings towards james, maybe towards the situation and the public image it created, by man...
I don't think there is an employee at jgr with bad feelings towards james,

maybe towards the situation and the public image it created, by man to man upset with james? highly doubt it
In my opinion he's not really being negative towards James, but trying to act like its not the Yamahas fault that James didn't mesh with the bike. Just seems he's already got a horse in the race so it's hard for me to look at his opinion as unbiased.
Grieby54
8/31/2012 11:12am
I don't disagree with most of it. I was simply letting you know that I think TP is perfectly qualified to critique the bike and setup, but not the riding technique which he does in the rest of the article.

Post a reply to: Preston on JS7

The Latest