Pressure Washers

Titan1
4/20/2016 7:37am Edited Date/Time 5/11/2016 10:02am
I'm looking for some opinions/recommendations for a pressure washer...

I'll keep in the garage, used mostly for washing bikes (and occasionally a car). So I won't be taking it to the track.

Thoughts on electric vs. gas?

Is there such a thing as to much PSI? (I'm sure graphics don't like 3000 PSI...)

I'd love some recommendations for a particular model you like.

Anything else I should look for, or, look out for?

Thanks in advance.
|
tmart
4/20/2016 7:42am
Brand-Karcher w/honda engine
Gas never electric
Buy as much PSI as you're willing to spend then use the different nozzles to determine your pressure...3000 is fine with the right nozzle
I have a Karcher 2500 w/Honda engine and it's 10 years old and doing just fine

The Shop

Charper732
4/20/2016 8:00am Edited Date/Time 4/20/2016 8:01am
Pretty much everyone is going to tell you to get gas over electric And don't just look at PSI. Pressure isn't anything if there isn't enough flow. I did a LOT of research before buying the pressure washer i have now.

What I found out is unless you get a commercial grade pressure washer, buy the extended warranty..and make sure the warranty you do buy is worth a shit. Every brand of consumer grade pressure washers has pump issues.

I bought mine through amazon, mainly because of the extended warranty they offer and their customer service is phenomenal. I ended up with a Generac 6596 on sale for $329. I've had it for about a year and use it almost every weekend and haven't had any problems yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Generac-6596-Powered-Residential-Pressure/dp/B00I…
dmm698
4/20/2016 8:10am
i bought this like 5 years ago now, for 230 on sale or something like that. 5 years later, one oil change, pre mix fuel, old stale gas from snowmobiles, ect, and it still runs just fine. used at the track and at the house, i'd say it probably sees atleast 2 uses a week all spring summer fall.
Cygnus
4/20/2016 8:23am
Don't even think about it if you own a Yamaha. They don't like pressure washers so well.
WoodsRacer
Fantasy
2867th
4/20/2016 8:53am
I highly recommend an electric.

Who cares about stupid high pressure? All you end up doing in blowing out seals, ripping off graphic and just hurting everything. Sure it speeds up cleaning up after a nasty mudder a but sooner but not worth the trade off in my mind.

The one area I do agree with though is a higher flowrate, more water to rinse everything down and off the better.

Also the last and biggest benefit to me of electric is the noise. I just prefer on a nice day being outside cleaning my bike, taking my time and being able to hear the radio from the shop. With a gas pressure washer I was always rushing when using it just so I could shut off all the noise as soon as possible.

I should note I do also have a gas one, which I mainly use when a bunch of buddies come over and we will be washing several bikes back to back and want to speed things up a bit.
tprice07
4/20/2016 9:10am
imoto34 wrote:
Depending on what you wanna spend, this is great for bike washing and around the house.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200641183_200641183
Same exact one I have. I bought a couple power washers at a pawn shop for cheap $80 a piece and decided I wanted a new one...so cleaned them up and sold them for $160 each ...turn around bought the one you shared.

One thing to note about most every powerwasher.. They don't have a bypass. So don't let it sit there an idle for more than a minute or so. If you do, that pump gets hot, then you shoot cold water into it and you can destroy the pump.

Great power washer!
IWreckALot
4/20/2016 10:56am
WoodsRacer wrote:
I highly recommend an electric. Who cares about stupid high pressure? All you end up doing in blowing out seals, ripping off graphic and just hurting...

Who cares about stupid high pressure? All you end up doing in blowing out seals, ripping off graphic and just hurting everything. Sure it speeds up cleaning up after a nasty mudder a but sooner but not worth the trade off in my mind.

The one area I do agree with though is a higher flowrate, more water to rinse everything down and off the better.

Also the last and biggest benefit to me of electric is the noise. I just prefer on a nice day being outside cleaning my bike, taking my time and being able to hear the radio from the shop. With a gas pressure washer I was always rushing when using it just so I could shut off all the noise as soon as possible.

I should note I do also have a gas one, which I mainly use when a bunch of buddies come over and we will be washing several bikes back to back and want to speed things up a bit.
It's all personal preference, but I couldn't disagree more with you except about the noise. Gas pressure washers are much noisier for sure.

I had an electric pressure washer. This is the model I had.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_623638-53393-GPW2000_1z0wgc4__?productId=503533…

Most of the time it would suck air even though I made sure to bleed the water hose before attaching it. And when it did have pressure, it wasn't near enough to do much more than blast mud off of my plastics. . I tried to pressure wash my back patio and it took a long time to get it clean looking. Eventually it broke and I said to hell with it and decided to go with gas.

I opened this thread earlier this month,

http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Non-Moto,21/Pressure-Washer-Which-one-to-…

And I ended up going with this pressure washer.

http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/Simpson-MSH3125-S-Pressure-Washer/…

I bought mine from a Tractor Supply for $430.

So far, no regrets but I'm still in the first month of use and only used it two or three times. But the pressure is great and it was definitely an improvement over the electric. My dad has a comparable unit and it's had no problems.

IWreckALot
4/20/2016 11:03am
Team Ideal wrote:
save yourself some time and money and go get one of these. hands down best I've ever used and it has a rotating nozzle that gives...
save yourself some time and money and go get one of these. hands down best I've ever used and it has a rotating nozzle that gives you plenty of options.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/pressure-washer/models/pw3028/gallery
I wish I could have gone with one of these, but they're $800+. It's hard to convince yourself to pay twice as much when half the cost will be equally effective.
Radical
Fantasy
2321st
4/20/2016 11:22am
Having a gas pressure washer would be great if you're willing to spend a few hundred bucks.
But, the electric one I have works great, and it's only $150.
It does have great reviews as well.

Sun Joe SPX3000
harescrambled
Fantasy
1864th
4/20/2016 9:59pm
tprice07 wrote:
Same exact one I have. I bought a couple power washers at a pawn shop for cheap $80 a piece and decided I wanted a new...
Same exact one I have. I bought a couple power washers at a pawn shop for cheap $80 a piece and decided I wanted a new one...so cleaned them up and sold them for $160 each ...turn around bought the one you shared.

One thing to note about most every powerwasher.. They don't have a bypass. So don't let it sit there an idle for more than a minute or so. If you do, that pump gets hot, then you shoot cold water into it and you can destroy the pump.

Great power washer!
The Generac units have a bypass, and a low oil shutdown.
4/21/2016 4:55am
IMO stick with a Honda engine. They make awesome small 4 stroke engines for this kind of application.
Team Ideal
4/21/2016 5:00am
Team Ideal wrote:
save yourself some time and money and go get one of these. hands down best I've ever used and it has a rotating nozzle that gives...
save yourself some time and money and go get one of these. hands down best I've ever used and it has a rotating nozzle that gives you plenty of options.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/pressure-washer/models/pw3028/gallery
IWreckALot wrote:
I wish I could have gone with one of these, but they're $800+. It's hard to convince yourself to pay twice as much when half the...
I wish I could have gone with one of these, but they're $800+. It's hard to convince yourself to pay twice as much when half the cost will be equally effective.
I understand where your at. we race or ride almost every weekend and we also have a SxS and ride it quite often. I'm using our washer on a weekly basis and after going thru 3 of the Troy Built with the Honda motor that everyone brags on I decided I could have already bought the Yamaha. If it's a justifiable buy I think the Yamaha is a no brainer. hope yours last you a long time and I mean that in a good way.
Ron_Shuler
4/21/2016 8:54am
The electric pressure washers don't last I had 3 of them go bad then finally got a gas powered one and its been going strong for 5 years
peelout
4/21/2016 12:22pm
if it won't take the skin off your feet then you need more pressure bro
IceMan446
4/21/2016 1:13pm
Cygnus wrote:
Don't even think about it if you own a Yamaha. They don't like pressure washers so well.
I was worried about that when I bought mine, just hearing some of the horror stories around here.

I have washed mine every time since I have had it with a pressure washer and have had zero issues.

I stay away from spraying around the electrical components and intake area. I just fire up my compressor when I am done and blow everything off.

I have 20+ hours on my bike with no problems.
WoodsRacer
Fantasy
2867th
4/21/2016 1:35pm Edited Date/Time 4/21/2016 2:02pm
IWreckALot wrote:
It's all personal preference, but I couldn't disagree more with you except about the noise. Gas pressure washers are much noisier for sure. I had an...
It's all personal preference, but I couldn't disagree more with you except about the noise. Gas pressure washers are much noisier for sure.

I had an electric pressure washer. This is the model I had.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_623638-53393-GPW2000_1z0wgc4__?productId=503533…

Most of the time it would suck air even though I made sure to bleed the water hose before attaching it. And when it did have pressure, it wasn't near enough to do much more than blast mud off of my plastics. . I tried to pressure wash my back patio and it took a long time to get it clean looking. Eventually it broke and I said to hell with it and decided to go with gas.

I opened this thread earlier this month,

http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Non-Moto,21/Pressure-Washer-Which-one-to-…

And I ended up going with this pressure washer.

http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/Simpson-MSH3125-S-Pressure-Washer/…

I bought mine from a Tractor Supply for $430.

So far, no regrets but I'm still in the first month of use and only used it two or three times. But the pressure is great and it was definitely an improvement over the electric. My dad has a comparable unit and it's had no problems.

Yeah it really does boil down to preference. The biggest problem with electric in my mind is 90% of them are junk and simply won't last. So most of the time people pick one up, it breaks in no time, and it leaves a sour impression. My plan for my next power washer once one of my current one breaks is to just pick up a 2 hp motor and build one with a pump I have laying around. Really there is nothing to just making your own power washer.

Edit: One last bonus of the electric. I use it alot in the shop during the winter to clean trucks, snowmobiles and whatever else. Sure works out slick for that as well.
colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
4/21/2016 3:28pm
Ron_Shuler wrote:
The electric pressure washers don't last I had 3 of them go bad then finally got a gas powered one and its been going strong for...
The electric pressure washers don't last I had 3 of them go bad then finally got a gas powered one and its been going strong for 5 years
Maybe you're just buying the wrong brands? I've had mine for almost 10 years now. Had to replace the wand because I drove over it. Had to replace the power cord when the gfci plug died. And today... I had to pull the pressure switch apart to clean and grease it. For being $100 it's worked well
4/23/2016 6:40am
WoodsRacer wrote:
I highly recommend an electric. Who cares about stupid high pressure? All you end up doing in blowing out seals, ripping off graphic and just hurting...

I've never understood the need for such high pressure...
You are STILL going to need to put your hands on the bike with a rag to get it nice and clean.
Hose, bucket, soap, elbow grease = clean bike.

However, if my plan was to really clean a sidewalk...I'd go with the gas.
mxer512
4/23/2016 7:00am
been through two electric ones. the one i have now the wand is leaking. have held off buying a gas for awhile. think its just the cheapskate in me. Soggy shoes is better than spending 300+ on a pressure washer especially since i only wash my bike like once a month.... about as often as i ride these daysSad
Insider347
4/23/2016 8:50am
imoto34 wrote:
Depending on what you wanna spend, this is great for bike washing and around the house.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200641183_200641183
tprice07 wrote:
Same exact one I have. I bought a couple power washers at a pawn shop for cheap $80 a piece and decided I wanted a new...

Great power washer!
Awesome pressure washer. Reliable, small, and also powerful. I use for business and bike washing.
4/23/2016 7:45pm
Don't bother with electric. I've had two and they both failed within a few years. If you can afford a Honda then that's the best bet IMO, but I went with a Generac since I only use it once a week max. Had it two years and it's still great - I've only had to replace the seal in the end of the hose once.
Cheers
Simon
4/23/2016 8:22pm
Look for a Honda gx engine, and a comet, cat, or vortex pump. Best in the business.

Post a reply to: Pressure Washers

The Latest