Possible ban on tear-offs Australia wide by 2016

wow123
12/22/2014 8:59pm
JB479 wrote:
Soon riding dirtbikes will be banned in australia....
not wrong there and part why i moved out

fact is, and its not mysogo to say, the rise of the nanny state is in parallel with the rise of women in power.

Dx3moto
12/23/2014 12:13am
Australians will just be doing this instead of tear-offs.

On a more serious note, will roll-offs replace them?
12/23/2014 1:09am
An easy solution is like in the pic below. Simply rotate the device anti clockwise a little and you have clear vision. After the race, just rinse and reuse.

The Shop

12/23/2014 3:06am
Trey Canard saw this coming! Looks like the Aussies are just gonna have to start their motos wearing multiple pairs of goggles and ditch a pair as and when they need clear vision. Grinning

Crush
12/23/2014 3:11am
Trey Canard saw this coming! Looks like the Aussies are just gonna have to start their motos wearing multiple pairs of goggles and ditch a pair...
Trey Canard saw this coming! Looks like the Aussies are just gonna have to start their motos wearing multiple pairs of goggles and ditch a pair as and when they need clear vision. Grinning

Such a shame that race got rained out... Track was crazy!
roost
12/23/2014 4:19am
motokiwi wrote:
I think its more to do with animals eating them and dying than the pollution. In saying that, why on earth would someone feel good about...
I think its more to do with animals eating them and dying than the pollution.

In saying that, why on earth would someone feel good about throwing pieces of plastic out onto the ground? Seems like littering to me.
jemcee wrote:
yep, I'm actually surprised it's taken this long when you think about it in that way
scott_nz wrote:
a couple of years ago at a major agricultural fair they had the contents of a cows gut on display, you could clearly see a tear...
a couple of years ago at a major agricultural fair they had the contents of a cows gut on display, you could clearly see a tear off in there, the bans were pretty quick to go around after that,
Ha! You find wood, metal and plastic in cows stomachs... Nails, metal and plastic bottle caps... rocks.... and pieces of water bottles... Have they banned water bottles in Australia yet?

The Liberals will fight to the death so a woman can kill her unborn baby... but a cow has a piece of plastic film in it's stomach and a banned is levied...
hvaughn88
12/23/2014 5:07am
roost wrote:
Ha! You find wood, metal and plastic in cows stomachs... Nails, metal and plastic bottle caps... rocks.... and pieces of water bottles... Have they banned water...
Ha! You find wood, metal and plastic in cows stomachs... Nails, metal and plastic bottle caps... rocks.... and pieces of water bottles... Have they banned water bottles in Australia yet?

The Liberals will fight to the death so a woman can kill her unborn baby... but a cow has a piece of plastic film in it's stomach and a banned is levied...
I understand what you're saying, but show me a good argument for keeping them.
Crush
12/23/2014 5:15am
roost wrote:
Ha! You find wood, metal and plastic in cows stomachs... Nails, metal and plastic bottle caps... rocks.... and pieces of water bottles... Have they banned water...

hvaughn88 wrote:
Ya I kinda gotta agree with H... Don't get me wrong, I think it's retarded when public consensus listens to things like this, but we all know that a bunch o practice track puling tear offs all day is a shit load of litter. If there was a better option I'd run it!
DEMONDAVE
12/23/2014 8:43am
Someone should start an underground racing series where you can run tear-off's, GoPros, and illegal fuel.
And allow JS7 and JLAW to race lol.
roost
12/23/2014 9:19am
roost wrote:

hvaughn88 wrote:
I would say...safety of the riders on the track... poor visibility is a serious issue in MX and we know roll-offs don't provide the full view needed while jumping around a track... I personally have never used tear-offs, I only use roll-offs for Hare Scrambles... I have also never seen an area covered in tear-offs clogging storm drains and killing animals...

Inside tracks they can be picked up... outside tracks, you have a simple plastic catch fence around the track to snag most of the ones blowing away and then hire a kid to pick up tear offs all weekend long.... You could reduce the amount by 65% - 75%(totally made-up number) which is fine... there is absolutely no need for a complete 100% ban.
hvaughn88
12/23/2014 9:30am
I would counter that by saying if you banned them, innovation would take hold and a better alternative would be out in a very short time due to competition of goggle manufactures. If Oakley can sell the airbrake for $165 (or whatever it is), I think they can come up with a viable alternative that could eliminate tear offs. Necessity is one of the driving forces of innovation.
jndmx
12/23/2014 9:38am
KC124 wrote:
How about just pick them up after the race is over? Hmmm.

That's what we do....

The track I work at is situated right next to a river and the tear offs blowing into the river and killing fish etc is a concern so to be proactive we have a crew walk around and pick them up.
Our flaggers and Ref's will grab them throughout the day as well and toss them as they see them.
BAMX
12/23/2014 9:54am
You guys could just go this route

scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
12/23/2014 10:18am
roost wrote:
I would say...safety of the riders on the track... poor visibility is a serious issue in MX and we know roll-offs don't provide the full view...
I would say...safety of the riders on the track... poor visibility is a serious issue in MX and we know roll-offs don't provide the full view needed while jumping around a track... I personally have never used tear-offs, I only use roll-offs for Hare Scrambles... I have also never seen an area covered in tear-offs clogging storm drains and killing animals...

Inside tracks they can be picked up... outside tracks, you have a simple plastic catch fence around the track to snag most of the ones blowing away and then hire a kid to pick up tear offs all weekend long.... You could reduce the amount by 65% - 75%(totally made-up number) which is fine... there is absolutely no need for a complete 100% ban.
i prefer tear offs and run them when we are allowed, but use roll offs every i have to, I dont find them dangerous, most of NZ tracks are on farmland that is still farmed the day after the racers, so its part of the price to pay, its a big job to pick them all up, esp on a cross country track, prevention is much better than cure most of the time,
12/23/2014 7:04pm Edited Date/Time 12/23/2014 7:05pm
If this happens and roll-offs are the go for a while then the Airbrakes are gonna make a killing as they provide the widest film.
wardy
12/23/2014 9:09pm
I could see a ban on tear offs in off road racing. in fact it would be a great idea.

motocross races, pretty simple, send some one out and pick up that damn things, it's nothing more then litter. We have pick them up every race, it's pita, but if you don't it will look like a big city street in a couple of races.

Post a reply to: Possible ban on tear-offs Australia wide by 2016

The Latest