Posers

Edited Date/Time 9/11/2014 7:43pm
In response to the 2 strokes at nationals thread I thought it might be nice to start a thread about the opposite: "POSERS". I'm sure we all know at least a dozen. Let's hear some stories.
RULES:
1) Do not mention names
2) Keep it at least somewhat civil
3) The intent here is humor
4) Keep it at a local level, the national guys get enough attention as it is
|
Mr Bean
8/11/2014 3:03pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2014 3:03pm
Sounds like you could change the title to "calling all members of the 'My graphics are nicer than yours' club".

BTW, please send all of my profit-sharing bonuses from this thread to the subject of the conversation in the "Two strokes at the Nationals" thread. That way I can lead by example and be his first cosmetics/graphics sponsor! Grinning
bigborefan
8/11/2014 3:06pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2014 3:06pm
That's me, my shit looks nice, but I rarely ride.
8/11/2014 3:06pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2014 3:11pm
I'm a poser I don't ride. I live in SoCal so I hear "I race dirtbikes about every day"
8/11/2014 3:11pm
I don't care who the hell you are or what your skill or interest level is... If you're down with motocross, dirtbikes etc; you're ok with me..

The Shop

slipdog
8/11/2014 3:12pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2014 5:10pm
Here's one.

I went to practice at the Hangtown track yesterday. It was like a National prep, ripped deep and watered heavily so it wouldn't be dusty and blue grooved by 10am. F#*%ing awesome! It was rough, tacky(after the morning muck dried up) and had between 3-8 ruts in every corner. You know, real motocross...

This morning i saw a full on whine-o-rama on the promoters Facebook page ' it was ripped too deep", "my bike was covered in mud" and even one guy that blamed him and the prep because he hurt his knee and can't ride for 3-6 weeks.

Waaaahhhhh, you want dry and smooth... get a street bike!

/end rant, I like rough tracks, LOL.
mx836
8/11/2014 3:16pm
Agreed slipdog. I don't remember all the crying 20 years ago.
8/11/2014 3:23pm
I got a good one:

I went to a track nearby me and saw a guy, literally looked like his bike has 10 000 invested into it, the thing looked amazing, had tony of good aftermarket parts and clearly had some great work done to it. The guy comes out with all 2015 fly gear stuff, has iron on jersey sponsors (that matched the sponsor names on the bike), name on the back and numbers. He had B plates (yellow background black numbers). So i started talking to him and he explained how he was leading his LL area qualifier but crashed and came 2nd last so he couldnt make it out. Started talking about all the chances he had to make it big and how he loves his program right now.

So we go onto the track and me saying "well this guy seems like hese super fast so il let him on first" so he gets on the track and automaticlly shifts into 4th gear, bogging the whole straight at this time i was laughing in my helmet and having a "sight lap" then he gets the the corner and shifts what sounded like 5th!!! bogs even more! at this time he was sitting right on the back of his seat and pulls in the clutch and dumps it at the end and starts boggin yet again. Then gets to the step down cases the crap outta it and at this point i was ready to go so i just started riding like i normally do passed him and then get to a part of the track where it goes rollers left hander then step up and table, as im in the air on the table i look over and see him JUST getting into the corner going into the rollers wich is about 15 seconds back and i still wasnt really trying. So i pull of the track after that lap cause it was mainly just a sight lap and wasnt pushing it and im waiting, about 45 seconds later he comes off (from the same lap i pulled off from) and he said, shit man i almost had ya there! good battle, and i was thinking, "what world are you from?????" so i asked if he was acually trying and he said yeah but cant push it as hard as he normally does cause the motor isnt ported....

This guy for the rest of the day was pulling 2:56-3:00 while me and the other couple guys that were there were from 1:52-59 minus a couple trail riders on the track that were pulling maybe mid 2:30s
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
8/11/2014 3:35pm
I was at the Lakewood track several years back burning some laps with my racing buddies and we could hear this spode in his 40s (about our age) who had a Service Honda CR500 telling everyone who was parked around him how dialed in the bike was and once you have a open bike everything else is a let down and under powered going on and on. So anyway he finally goes out to run a few laps and that poor Service Honda never got more than a foot or two off the ground off the jumps and was loading up so bad from the throttle never being opened more than a quarter turn it didn't even throw any roost and the suspension never moved more than a few inches. The guy comes in after about 4 laps of of this and I though he was going to complain about a problem with the bike when he says something to the effect of "Damn it feels good to throw down some hard laps on a bike like this " He was getting passed by 85s going up the hills!! WoohooWoohooBlink
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
8/11/2014 3:37pm
I got a good one: I went to a track nearby me and saw a guy, literally looked like his bike has 10 000 invested into...
I got a good one:

I went to a track nearby me and saw a guy, literally looked like his bike has 10 000 invested into it, the thing looked amazing, had tony of good aftermarket parts and clearly had some great work done to it. The guy comes out with all 2015 fly gear stuff, has iron on jersey sponsors (that matched the sponsor names on the bike), name on the back and numbers. He had B plates (yellow background black numbers). So i started talking to him and he explained how he was leading his LL area qualifier but crashed and came 2nd last so he couldnt make it out. Started talking about all the chances he had to make it big and how he loves his program right now.

So we go onto the track and me saying "well this guy seems like hese super fast so il let him on first" so he gets on the track and automaticlly shifts into 4th gear, bogging the whole straight at this time i was laughing in my helmet and having a "sight lap" then he gets the the corner and shifts what sounded like 5th!!! bogs even more! at this time he was sitting right on the back of his seat and pulls in the clutch and dumps it at the end and starts boggin yet again. Then gets to the step down cases the crap outta it and at this point i was ready to go so i just started riding like i normally do passed him and then get to a part of the track where it goes rollers left hander then step up and table, as im in the air on the table i look over and see him JUST getting into the corner going into the rollers wich is about 15 seconds back and i still wasnt really trying. So i pull of the track after that lap cause it was mainly just a sight lap and wasnt pushing it and im waiting, about 45 seconds later he comes off (from the same lap i pulled off from) and he said, shit man i almost had ya there! good battle, and i was thinking, "what world are you from?????" so i asked if he was acually trying and he said yeah but cant push it as hard as he normally does cause the motor isnt ported....

This guy for the rest of the day was pulling 2:56-3:00 while me and the other couple guys that were there were from 1:52-59 minus a couple trail riders on the track that were pulling maybe mid 2:30s
LOL I must have been typing my story same time as you. I guess every track has "THAT " guy Tongue
peelout
8/11/2014 3:43pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2014 3:45pm
passed an older guy going up one of my favorite mountain trails the other day, he was on one of those fat-wheel dirt bikes, had on sweat pants, a tank top, and a pair of oakley sunglasses. dude's hair was blown back from riding on the road to the trail so no shit he looked like Doc from Back to the Future lol.

i about lost my shit when i saw him, i stopped to talk to him after he let me pass and it was everything i could do to keep from laughing my ass off.

the cool thing was he had zero fucks to give about having a nice bike or even gear for that matter
TeamGreen
8/11/2014 3:44pm
slipdog wrote:
Here's one. I went to practice at the Hangtown track yesterday. It was like a National prep, ripped deep and watered heavily so it wouldn't be...
Here's one.

I went to practice at the Hangtown track yesterday. It was like a National prep, ripped deep and watered heavily so it wouldn't be dusty and blue grooved by 10am. F#*%ing awesome! It was rough, tacky(after the morning muck dried up) and had between 3-8 ruts in every corner. You know, real motocross...

This morning i saw a full on whine-o-rama on the promoters Facebook page ' it was ripped too deep", "my bike was covered in mud" and even one guy that blamed him and the prep because he hurt his knee and can't ride for 3-6 weeks.

Ruts at Hangtown?

Hah!

If you ain't got ruts at Hangtown, you ain't at Hangtown!
Mr Bean
8/11/2014 3:48pm
Some of these guys are the ones who fall under the old saying - "A legend in their own mind". Grinning

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
8/11/2014 3:57pm
slipdog wrote:
Here's one. I went to practice at the Hangtown track yesterday. It was like a National prep, ripped deep and watered heavily so it wouldn't be...
Here's one.

How did "Vital" get tossed into the promoters Facebook page? Anti-social posters are anti-social, no matter where they post.
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
8/11/2014 3:57pm
I have too many injuries and too nice of a career to push anymore, so I definitely fall into the category of my stuff looks way nicer than my speed warrants Cool
Ing
8/11/2014 4:13pm
Just cause your slow doesn't mean you can't have nice things.
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
8/11/2014 4:24pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2014 4:40pm
A guy from high school and I reconnected about 3 years ago and have been traveling to and racing the same classes. I have always been faster than him and he has never beat me...I've never made any comments to him about that and am always just happy when we both make it through the day without getting hurt...

I got a late start riding this year and back in early June we went to a race together and he beat me in both motos..no big deal as it was my first race and first time at this track ( he had a couple races under his belt and was very familiar with the track )...

After the first moto I congratulated him and told him he was riding well...he proceeds to tell me I am just getting slow, I should expect to rooster by him and that he will smoke me in the second moto..and blah blah...I couldn't believe he was talking shit to me because he finally beat me! Laughing Telling me about his $3000 suspension, $1000 engine mods...blah

Fast forward to yesterday (and two months of me riding and training later) - all 4 motos ( 2 classes ) I was already back at the truck with my helmet, gloves and chest protector off sipping water before he showed up Woohoo Paybacks a bitch...

Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
8/11/2014 4:27pm
I got a good one: I went to a track nearby me and saw a guy, literally looked like his bike has 10 000 invested into...
I got a good one:

Haha! Classic poser.

How about the guys that can do the jumps but can't go fast on the rest of the track?
Camp332
8/11/2014 4:28pm
Screw riding moto! It's all about chest and bi's bro.
Titan1
8/11/2014 4:35pm
I prefer to talk down my riding ability. That way, when people are faster than me (which is the norm), they are willing to give me some help and advice to make me better...and if I'm faster than them (once in a blue moon), they are surprised....whereas, if someone talks up their riding ability and comes across as faster than they really are...they get made fun of by the people that are faster than them.

I ride an 09 YZ450 (which currently has no graphics on it)...I'm wearing the same boots for my 5th season...and my gear for the third season...I'm as clean cut, and clean talking and clean living as one can get...in fact, if you didn't know me personally, you'd never even know I ride (no stickers on my vehicles, I seldom ever wear industry clothing, etc.) and NOTHING brings me more pleasure than passing the dudes that look like factory riders, and who play up the whole "mulisha" image with their monster energy drink logo's, and tats...I'm not sure why that is so much fun to me. But, it sure does.

I'm not about the "image" at all...I'm about the riding. I don't care what other people think.
8/11/2014 4:38pm
I got a good one:

Ramrod wrote:
Haha! Classic poser.

How about the guys that can do the jumps but can't go fast on the rest of the track?
Hah!! there funny. You live in ontario aswell, the track this happend at was motopark!
hvaughn88
8/11/2014 4:55pm
I actually have an experience with the opposite of a poser: I used to get my ass handed to me by a dude on an old 80's model cr60 when I was on 60s. I'm 26 so when I was on 60s that was a pretty old bike. It sucked, haha. I got worked by him every single weekend. I was told he was the track owners grandson and rode there every day, which would make sense because I never saw him at any other tracks. But I'm not sure if that's accurate or not. Still sucked getting beat over and over and over and over, etc. haha. If anyone from the Oklahoma area rode any at Dora in the 90s, maybe you know who I'm talking about or can validate or correct me on his relation to the track owner. On second thought, don't correct me. My ego won't be able to take it, haha.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
8/11/2014 5:08pm
Hah!! there funny. You live in ontario aswell, the track this happend at was motopark!
Years back when I was riding at a decent speed I saw a local guy show up a gopher wearing coveralls as gear and we chuckled. Out on the track he smoked us! Maybe we were the posers...
slipdog
8/11/2014 5:09pm
GuyB wrote:
How did "Vital" get tossed into the promoters Facebook page? Anti-social posters are anti-social, no matter where they post.
Sorry boss man, poor choice of words on my part. I will make the necessary corrections for posterity's sake.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
8/11/2014 5:28pm
Ing wrote:
Just cause your slow doesn't mean you can't have nice things.
Nothing wrong with having nice things but if you are going to talk the talk you better be able to walk the walk.Wink
Pembroke36
8/11/2014 5:34pm
Camp332 wrote:
Screw riding moto! It's all about chest and bi's bro.
Do you even lift bro?
Motodave15
8/11/2014 5:38pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2014 5:39pm
Speaking of riding ability.

The guys who brag about riding in the desert and how fast and gnarly they are and you take them to the track.. milestone main track and comp edges vet track.

and watch the excuses fly.

Ive noticed three things, that any person who's ridden tracks for a few years knows.
1. Big Fox Sticker- Red flag 1
2. Bragging about how huge they went in the desert -Red Flag 2
3. and the disturbing lack of use of their powerband.- Red Flag 3

I've actually been told, "My powerband, just isn't working"
8/11/2014 5:40pm
Ramrod wrote:
Years back when I was riding at a decent speed I saw a local guy show up a gopher wearing coveralls as gear and we chuckled...
Years back when I was riding at a decent speed I saw a local guy show up a gopher wearing coveralls as gear and we chuckled. Out on the track he smoked us! Maybe we were the posers...
Gophers a track that its almost like, even if your an amazing rider, you can go to gopher and ride like an C class rider. Its a really difficult track and especially once the sand starts getting really loose and rough you cant go fast. Ive finally found my technique to ride in sand like at gopher. lug in in a high gear (just always stay a gear higher than u would be in a loamy track). I love gopher tho. amazing track
8/11/2014 5:46pm
Motodave15 wrote:
Speaking of riding ability. The guys who brag about riding in the desert and how fast and gnarly they are and you take them to the...
Speaking of riding ability.

The guys who brag about riding in the desert and how fast and gnarly they are and you take them to the track.. milestone main track and comp edges vet track.

and watch the excuses fly.

Ive noticed three things, that any person who's ridden tracks for a few years knows.
1. Big Fox Sticker- Red flag 1
2. Bragging about how huge they went in the desert -Red Flag 2
3. and the disturbing lack of use of their powerband.- Red Flag 3

I've actually been told, "My powerband, just isn't working"
No lie i was talking to a guy with all metal militia gear and graphics and was on what looked like a 98 or 99 cr250 and i was like hows it going and hows the track and hese like "good but the powerband feels a bit weak and worn" and im like maybe the rings and piston are getting worn and hese like "no i literally thing the band might be streched". i walked away.
Idaho747
8/11/2014 5:47pm
The one that I loved is when the monster edition kawis came out so many people spent the extra grand cause it was sooooo much faster. Cool
8/11/2014 5:53pm
I remember when I was young.
fat guy on a cr500 asked us for paper towels to wipe off his goggles.
we didnt have none and made fun of him when he left.
he kicked our ass on the track.
from then on we would see fat guys and say "he must be fast". Ha ha more times then not, they were!

Post a reply to: Posers

The Latest