Planning a riding trip to Belgium/Holland this summer. Advice needed

Edited Date/Time 7/8/2018 2:03pm
My brother & I are planning on riding in Belgium & Holland this summer. We plan to go to Lommel, Honda Park & possibly Valkenswaard & anywhere else really. We're planning on going for about 6 days.

Here's a list of questions I need advice on:

Live in the South East England so going to cross at Dover, ferry or Channel Tunnel? (I've got a LWB Ford Transit). How much will either of these cost?

How much fuel can I take across with me? I'll probably take 40 litres with me but not sure if that's allowed.

Best place to stay overnight & cost?

Best places to ride?

How much to ride a day & do I need a license?

Best roads to get to Belgium/Holland?

I was thinking £500 each for me & my brother for the complete trip. Is that way off the mark????

I would advice from people who have done this trip to help me budget, where to stay & ride.

Cheers

|
2/22/2016 2:21pm
personally I would take the Dover/Dunkirk crossing with all the commotion going on in Calais

You can fuel up when you are there, plenty of petrol stations just like here in the uk

Some good tracks to ride Honda park, lommel, valkenswaard, eindhoven, lierop, eersel, use the mx brothers site to locate tracks, tracks tend to open at 1 and there are no session like here in the UK

As far as prices and licences go Belgium is fine, you don't need a license, just turn up and ride Honda park and lommel are both about 15/20 euro

Tracks in Holland are sometimes more strict, the only track that required a licence from the above was lierop, (can do it at the track for 65euro) the other tracks allow you to do a day licence usually about 10 euro per day

No tracks are open on Mondays, and I believe lommel is the only track that opens on a friday, Honda park open every day except Monday and friday, valkenswaard and lierop are only open on Wednesdays and saturdays,

The drive is fairly simple, head towards Antwerp then use the e34 to take you towards Eindhoven/ lommel, Antwerp can be quite bad for traffic, apart from that everything else is easy, about 2.45/3 hrs to Eindhoven from Dunkirk

As far as places to stay goes im not overly sure, there are well equipped campsites in lommel, aswell as a centre parks in lommel and also valkenswaard

Depending on accomadation 500 seems very reasonable
philG
2/22/2016 2:37pm
what he said... dover dunkirk on DFDS seaways... no migrants as such , and it gets you nearer , plus you can ride Dunkirk, which is 1 min from the ferry terminal,

Why take fuel ?? they have pumps over there too..

there are loads of nice campsites around valkenswaard area, BUT you will have to behave properly, any noise and pissing about and they will biff you off.

We are off to Miracourt in france this weekend, Dover Dunkirk was £80..

2/22/2016 2:51pm
A group of us do this trip every year in the summer and its always great, the tracks are awesome. We always get the train/tunnel to calais (never seen any of the problems with migrants but I don't know what the ferry port is like), I know from riding at Dunkirk the port at Dunkirk has been seriously backed up with freight the last couple of times I have been.

We usually do Dunkirk on a friday (which I definitely recommend), get there mid day, have the track to ourself and he grades it Friday mornings so its like a motorway (insanely fast on a 450), then set off and stay in the NH Hotel in Eindhoven, fairly cheap, has a poo, barl etc and plenty of parking. Most of the decent tracks are around the Eindhoven area, Honda Parc is great and a track called Veldhoven just outside the airport is good. Cab ride into Eindhoven on a saturday night for a few beers, the tracks don't open until mid day on the sunday anyway.

Don't forget to take Enduro Mats for when your in the pits, some tracks get pretty funny about that. We have a good friend over there that chats to the track owners and we have never had to pay for a licence, its something to bare in mind you may need.
philG
2/22/2016 3:03pm
We go over 5 or 6 times a year , and every time it gets worse for migrants at Calais, i follow the DFDS twitter feed and there is always something going on , and they regularly divert to Dunkirk . Tunnel , thats a coin flip ...lost count of the times the m20 was shut last year .. we hit the ferry for the Nations,at 10pm, the guys at the tunnel had a 9 hour delay , cos someone decided to head butt a train.

I reckon 6am ferry friday AM, hit dunkirk straight off the boat, and then drive into belgium after.

And +1 on the saturday night in Eindhoven.. awesome place .

The Shop

bergie11
2/22/2016 4:30pm
Good advice you have been given

A great trip is to go over for the Valkenswaard GP weekend.Ride Lommel on the friday and Honda Park on Saturday for example then go watch the GP on Sunday.This year the GP is Easter Monday however.

We stay at a b/b on a working farm which is 10 mins from Honda park. http://www.zandput.be/EN super friendly place.

Our 1st trip over using the Tunnel we were stopped and checked if we were carrying fuel.We were and had it confiscated.They didnt care about fuel in the bike just cans.We ended up filling up some road touring bikes on the same tunnel booking rather then give it up to an official.

Like the guys said above the tracks dont run sessions and its a joy.You will end up like PhilG and going 6 times a year.

Fearo
2/23/2016 12:29am
Well, there's some great info in this thread already, but there's one thing though.

In Holland you are required to have a 'KNMV district licence'. Rules about this licence have changed this year and the price has gone down from 75 euros to 60. You can no longer get these at the track, they have to be done beforehand, just a heads up. Some tracks may not ask for it, but most will because basiclly the whole track's insurance is gone if one guy is riding without the licence.

You can get a 'days licence' but the price has gone up and is like 30 euros or something rediculous. This is without the track fee btw.

PM me if you want to get one, I can help you with filling out the forms.
tek14
2/23/2016 1:30am
Fearo wrote:
Well, there's some great info in this thread already, but there's one thing though. In Holland you are required to have a 'KNMV district licence'. Rules...
Well, there's some great info in this thread already, but there's one thing though.

In Holland you are required to have a 'KNMV district licence'. Rules about this licence have changed this year and the price has gone down from 75 euros to 60. You can no longer get these at the track, they have to be done beforehand, just a heads up. Some tracks may not ask for it, but most will because basiclly the whole track's insurance is gone if one guy is riding without the licence.

You can get a 'days licence' but the price has gone up and is like 30 euros or something rediculous. This is without the track fee btw.

They wont allow you ride track with FIM international licence that has even airlift covered on insurance?
60e isnt that much but riding there week 3 days Belgium and 3 days Holland. Riding 3 days you havet to pay licence 60e or 30e day?
Fearo
2/23/2016 2:46am Edited Date/Time 2/23/2016 2:47am
tek14 wrote:
They wont allow you ride track with FIM international licence that has even airlift covered on insurance? 60e isnt that much but riding there week 3...
They wont allow you ride track with FIM international licence that has even airlift covered on insurance?
60e isnt that much but riding there week 3 days Belgium and 3 days Holland. Riding 3 days you havet to pay licence 60e or 30e day?
Officially, no, an FIM licence is not allowed, as retarded as that sounds. Maybe some of the bigger tracks (Veldhoven etc) will unofficially allow it, but Eersel for example, which is a place for GP regulars has said on its website that they don't allow it.

Basically you have 2 options:

-30 euros (or 25 I can't remember) for a day licence. This can be bought at the track
-60 euros for a year licence. This has to be done beforehand.
2/23/2016 9:36am
Cheers for all the advice guys.

@philG Not sure why I thought about taking fuel, I suppose its because we always get our fuel before we go to the track. Least I now know not to take fuel because it'll get confiscated.

@Fearo I have read about having to get a license to ride in Holland. 60 Euros for a license doesn't seem that bad. Also if I do need a hand filling the forms out, I'll definitely PM you, cheers.

What about washing the bikes? I'll take a petrol washer with me but what about the water feed?

Is there shower facilities at the campsites so we can at least have a wash?

What are the best days to go riding? Who has the better tracks? Do they only grade on a certain day or is it everyday?

Sorry for so many questions, I just want to get a plan together so it makes life easier.
Bidirella
2/23/2016 9:48am
Valkenswaard is only open on a wednesday. 13:00/17:00.
Lierop is open on a wednesday and saturday 13:00/17:00
Lommel is open daily, Tracks like Veldhoven/Eersel are most of the week op, only monday closed i believe.

Grevenbroich Germany, got a great and nice summer sand track. 1 hour from Eindhoven. Also NO licence needed.

Bidirella
2/23/2016 9:51am
I should go, Wednesday Valkenswaard, Thursday Lommel, Friday rest. Saturday Lierop and Sunday Hondapark or Grevenbroich.

Veldhoven and Eersel are oke but nothing special IMO
Prntscrn
2/23/2016 9:55am
I've always enjoyed Budel aswell. Long time since I been there though. And I think you guys should take a day at dunkirk Smile
philG
2/23/2016 10:01am
Fearo wrote:
Well, there's some great info in this thread already, but there's one thing though. In Holland you are required to have a 'KNMV district licence'. Rules...

tek14 wrote:
They wont allow you ride track with FIM international licence that has even airlift covered on insurance? 60e isnt that much but riding there week 3...
The FIM license doesnt cover non race days , my annual International Insurance costs £285 but it is only valid for UEM events , doesnt cover practice days or anything like that , so for testing i am on my own.

And if i take out a DSMB license in Germany , i have to surrender my ACU one here, so there is no way round it.
Sidecar
2/23/2016 10:15am
Didn't they close and bulldoze the migrant camp at Calais today? Heard a piece on the news yesterday about the other ports Dunkirk, Zeebrugge etc being badly affected by this, more migrants arriving daily.... Put me off of going to LeTouqet this year. I have used DFDS Dover-Dunkirk many times though, there's usually motocross/enduro/sidecarcross/quad/roadracing/kart racing guys on the ferry going various places/meetings, it's interesting chatting to guys at the bar and road trips through Europe are awesome fun we have been 25/30 times over the last 15 or so years watching GPs and racing, Just be careful of the sleeping gas through the heater vent trick, I know people who have been robbed that way.... And if you have a spare couple of hours head to Namur and walk a lap, you won't regret it, we did it 2 years ago when the Belgian sidecarcross GP was cancelled while we were on the way and then diverted to the Nurburgring, another worthy place to visit, took my VW Crafter race van for a lap round..... No matter what you will have a hell of a trip.
tek14
2/23/2016 10:19am
philG wrote:
The FIM license doesnt cover non race days , my annual International Insurance costs £285 but it is only valid for UEM events , doesnt cover...
The FIM license doesnt cover non race days , my annual International Insurance costs £285 but it is only valid for UEM events , doesnt cover practice days or anything like that , so for testing i am on my own.

And if i take out a DSMB license in Germany , i have to surrender my ACU one here, so there is no way round it.
FIM licence cost around 500€ and covers races and all practice included to sport.
Also we have to take insurance for bikes like other countries do for cars and that
covers also crashes. Anyway when you are different country better play
their rules.
2/23/2016 10:23am
I haven't ridden in the countries, but have travelled a fair bit
I know the nh hotel in best near eindhoven has a big security gate and pool etc.
Also heard bikes from hotel so.must be a track nearby!
2/23/2016 10:28am
Lommel has great jet wash facility's, you can pay €5 to use their jet wash

I don't think any of the other common tracks have jet wash on site, not 100% sure though

If it's summer when you're going the tracks are usually pretty dry

MXMattii
2/23/2016 2:55pm
Cheers for all the advice guys. @philG Not sure why I thought about taking fuel, I suppose its because we always get our fuel before we...

@philG Not sure why I thought about taking fuel, I suppose its because we always get our fuel before we go to the track. Least I now know not to take fuel because it'll get confiscated.

@Fearo I have read about having to get a license to ride in Holland. 60 Euros for a license doesn't seem that bad. Also if I do need a hand filling the forms out, I'll definitely PM you, cheers.

What about washing the bikes? I'll take a petrol washer with me but what about the water feed?

What are the best days to go riding? Who has the better tracks? Do they only grade on a certain day or is it everyday?

Sorry for so many questions, I just want to get a plan together so it makes life easier.
About that license thing. I talked with a track owner and they said the following thing. On training days the FIM License doesn't cover 3th parties. So I mean if someone like a spectator gets injured by a bike getting besides the track, that person and the track owners are screwed. Because only riders (holders from licenses) are insured. Now with that cheap 60 euro license you as rider are covered if your bike should injured a spectator on an training, and also the spectator you injured is covered. So no mess.

Sorry for bad English.
Fearo
2/24/2016 1:18am Edited Date/Time 2/24/2016 1:20am
Cheers for all the advice guys. @philG Not sure why I thought about taking fuel, I suppose its because we always get our fuel before we...

As a general rule, most tracks will be graded on wednesdays and in the weekend, possibly only on saturday. Tracks that are open on tuesdays and thursdays are generally not graded because that's when the pro's come out Wink .

Lommel has a 24/7 webcam so you could check beforehand if it's graded.

The only track that has shower facilities that I know of is MC Lille in Belgium.
Barrett57
2/24/2016 2:15am
Don't take fuel, it will get taken off you and they will also take the container, it's not allowed on the ferry. They took took my mates brand new jerry can with 20 litres of fuel, I'm sure it ends up in their cars.

Like other have said go to Dunkirk, the track is awesome and there is also a bit of waste ground you can play about on which is good fun.

Also the last time I rode in the Netherlands they knew we didn't have a Dutch license, so they just winked at us and wrote down the number from our British driving license. They were pretty chilled out about it.
2/24/2016 9:17am
Dover - Calais, and then ride Dunkerque. That track is unbelievable!
4/6/2018 10:50am
Finally getting around to riding in Belgium in the next few months, I know how I'm getting there & where I'm gonna ride but what I need to know is, where can I camp for the night near Honda Park and roughly how much?

Thanks.
Lastander
4/6/2018 11:37am
I can recommend Hulsdonken, the owners like Moto and the cabins are great, great location for all the nearby tracks.
Try to find out when Hondapark is groomed, a really rough hondapark will make you quit instantlyLaughing

4/6/2018 1:31pm
Finally getting around to riding in Belgium in the next few months, I know how I'm getting there & where I'm gonna ride but what I...
Finally getting around to riding in Belgium in the next few months, I know how I'm getting there & where I'm gonna ride but what I need to know is, where can I camp for the night near Honda Park and roughly how much?

Thanks.
Where do you want to ride? If you also want to ride in Holland you need to get a license. It's not possible anymore to buy a day license at the track. KNMV changed that since like 2 years.
Lastander
4/6/2018 1:50pm
Where do you want to ride? If you also want to ride in Holland you need to get a license. It's not possible anymore to buy...
Where do you want to ride? If you also want to ride in Holland you need to get a license. It's not possible anymore to buy a day license at the track. KNMV changed that since like 2 years.
Make sure you got internet acess whenever you get it, last year i went to Budel the first day and after 15 minutes of trying to understand the 70 year old that didn't speak one word english i found out that they got rid of the paper-signup for a license and everything had to be done on the internet.
my swedish operator didn't work there so we all bribed him off for the day to let us ride and then we got it done at Veldhofven the day after with WiFi Laughing
4/6/2018 2:09pm
Finally getting around to riding in Belgium in the next few months, I know how I'm getting there & where I'm gonna ride but what I...

Thanks.
Where do you want to ride? If you also want to ride in Holland you need to get a license. It's not possible anymore to buy...
Honda park & lommel
Lastander
4/20/2018 8:54am
Bump

Does anyone know of anywhere I can camp or Bed & Breakfast near Lommel/Honda Park?
As i said, Hulsdonken is great.

Post a reply to: Planning a riding trip to Belgium/Holland this summer. Advice needed

The Latest