Pit Boards?

bullpen58
1/9/2011 10:42pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 4:17pm
While watching the 250 heats I realized they are only 5 laps long. That equates to 5 mins of racing. FIVE flippin minutes.

Is there really ANY reason on the face of the God damned planet for a mechanic to scribble a message onto a dry erase board and wave it around other than for said mechanic to FEEL like he is doing something???

I mean, what words of wisdom could he possibly have for a guy in a five minute race?

"Go fast!"

"Don't crash"

"Breef"

I just find it hard to believe that there is anything a guy needs to know for a five minute race that he didn't already know before the damn gate dropped.

And as for the NASCAR-esque helmet radio that the JGR team had . . . kinda cool but again, not sure I'd want someone talking to me when I'm racing. NASCAR drivers need someone to talk to them to keep them awake. They drive around for hours and hours. BORING.

This is SX though. Doubt any racer needs info via radio very often. Maybe on the rare occassion that there is a guy down over a blind jump or something or maybe if the bike is smoking but I can't imagine having someone talking into my ears the entire time.

"all right good buddy, ya'll got a hard left turn comin up. Ya'll wanna turn left to make it and then watch out fer dem dad gum hoops over yonder".

Seriously, are the racers pitting for tires and gas? Who decided to let mechanics feel important?

We all know that guys like Matthes ARE super crucial to a racers success (e.g., Tim Ferry) though, so don't get me wrong.

Wink
|
RonSkj
Fantasy
141st
1/9/2011 10:47pm
1/9/2011 10:48pm
The guys from 8th on back might want to know their positions.
SoCalMX70
1/9/2011 10:55pm
bullpen58 wrote:
While watching the 250 heats I realized they are only 5 laps long. That equates to 5 mins of racing. FIVE flippin minutes. Is there really...
While watching the 250 heats I realized they are only 5 laps long. That equates to 5 mins of racing. FIVE flippin minutes.

Is there really ANY reason on the face of the God damned planet for a mechanic to scribble a message onto a dry erase board and wave it around other than for said mechanic to FEEL like he is doing something???

I mean, what words of wisdom could he possibly have for a guy in a five minute race?

"Go fast!"

"Don't crash"

"Breef"

I just find it hard to believe that there is anything a guy needs to know for a five minute race that he didn't already know before the damn gate dropped.

And as for the NASCAR-esque helmet radio that the JGR team had . . . kinda cool but again, not sure I'd want someone talking to me when I'm racing. NASCAR drivers need someone to talk to them to keep them awake. They drive around for hours and hours. BORING.

This is SX though. Doubt any racer needs info via radio very often. Maybe on the rare occassion that there is a guy down over a blind jump or something or maybe if the bike is smoking but I can't imagine having someone talking into my ears the entire time.

"all right good buddy, ya'll got a hard left turn comin up. Ya'll wanna turn left to make it and then watch out fer dem dad gum hoops over yonder".

Seriously, are the racers pitting for tires and gas? Who decided to let mechanics feel important?

We all know that guys like Matthes ARE super crucial to a racers success (e.g., Tim Ferry) though, so don't get me wrong.

Wink
6 laps...
1/9/2011 10:56pm
There isnt any communication between the riders and the mechanics or team mangers via a helmet radio system. What you heard was Jeremy speaking to the mechaincs and the other techs that are wearing radios during the race.

They have been outlawed since the "80's if not earlier. I beleive the last time anyone ran them was maybe 1988 or 1989 and it was the Honda Factory guys if memory serves me right.

The Shop

bullpen58
1/9/2011 11:07pm
The guys from 8th on back might want to know their positions.
Okay, good point. I suspect that is the ONLY possible thing a racer might benefit from knowing in a six (thanks for clearing that up) lap race. haha.
bullpen58
1/9/2011 11:08pm
There isnt any communication between the riders and the mechanics or team mangers via a helmet radio system. What you heard was Jeremy speaking to the...
There isnt any communication between the riders and the mechanics or team mangers via a helmet radio system. What you heard was Jeremy speaking to the mechaincs and the other techs that are wearing radios during the race.

They have been outlawed since the "80's if not earlier. I beleive the last time anyone ran them was maybe 1988 or 1989 and it was the Honda Factory guys if memory serves me right.
Thanks for the clarification. I was watching the race in a bar and couldn't hear too well because of the Lynerd skinnard blaring in the background. lol.
the_wood109
1/9/2011 11:13pm
I once wrote "SQUID" on a pit board and held it out during a novice practice at sleepy hollow. It was quite dangerous, as the riders all all almost crashed as I was cheering for them. However, it was also pretty fucking funny, too.
bullpen58
1/9/2011 11:21pm
I once wrote "SQUID" on a pit board and held it out during a novice practice at sleepy hollow. It was quite dangerous, as the riders...
I once wrote "SQUID" on a pit board and held it out during a novice practice at sleepy hollow. It was quite dangerous, as the riders all all almost crashed as I was cheering for them. However, it was also pretty fucking funny, too.
hey now, be nice to us novice racers . . . especially VET novices like me. ;p
the_wood109
1/9/2011 11:29pm
LOL. I seriously did do that, though. A guy swapped out and almost wadded it up when i was giving him the board...all during practice.

Honestly, the boards are good for laptimes, position, and possibly sections on the track that need immediate attention.

I kind of laugh when see "breathe."

I kind of got the same feeling during the "listen in" portion from JGR. It went something like "Brayton is winning," then Jbone says "cool." Not exact quote..but you get the idea.
bullpen58
1/10/2011 12:17am
I can barely pull a tear off without crashing. I seriously doubt I'd be able to read a damn scribbled message on a dry erase board . . . even though I go super slow. lol
1/10/2011 4:55am
There isnt any communication between the riders and the mechanics or team mangers via a helmet radio system. What you heard was Jeremy speaking to the...

as best as my feeble mind can dust off the cobwebs, the last time a radio communications system was used was by team honda with miguel duhamel on a road race bike, and i believe it was daytona.
the communication was one way...they could only talk to the rider.
it didn't work.
miguel said that he couldn't hear what they were saying due to all the noise.
they gave up.
FALCON70
1/10/2011 5:20am
i don't know, if a women wrote blowjob on my pit board, it would make me go faster. lol
Ozzy133
1/10/2011 5:28am
FALCON70 wrote:
i don't know, if a women wrote blowjob on my pit board, it would make me go faster. lol
x2

Anyone have pics of JGR NASCAR-esque helmet radio setup?
jamma10
1/10/2011 5:37am
LOL. I seriously did do that, though. A guy swapped out and almost wadded it up when i was giving him the board...all during practice. Honestly...
LOL. I seriously did do that, though. A guy swapped out and almost wadded it up when i was giving him the board...all during practice.

Honestly, the boards are good for laptimes, position, and possibly sections on the track that need immediate attention.

I kind of got the same feeling during the "listen in" portion from JGR. It went something like "Brayton is winning," then Jbone says "cool." Not exact quote..but you get the idea.

I know what you mean, but its not as stupid as it appears... by a long way!
Pool-eh
Fantasy
2854th
1/10/2011 6:45am
Positions for guys 5 and back. Lap times usually for top 5
jndmx
1/10/2011 6:53am
My favorite thing at the track where I announce is when you see kids on 50's getting a pit board.
Some of these kids are still learning to read.....lol.
Do you draw pictures on the board for them?
flarider
1/10/2011 7:30am
Ozzy133 wrote:
x2

There wasn't one
KAWboy14
1/10/2011 7:33am
pit boards give the mechanics something to do now that they dont have to jet bikes!
lumpy790
1/10/2011 11:06am
Valuable qualifying info to the riders.

Need 2 = need to pass 2 guys to get into the show
IT coming = IT is closing in on you
- 02 = your pace is slower than the leaders
peelout
1/10/2011 12:48pm
RonSkj wrote:
[img]http://gamesnet.vo.llnwd.net/o1/gamestar/objects/457042_main.jpg[/img]
i would lap jimmy stewart twice if i knew i was going to get a hummer in 10 minutes, even if it was from that slagg
1/10/2011 1:18pm
Ozzy133 wrote:
x2

flarider wrote:
There wasn't one
x2 illegal to have
1/10/2011 1:21pm
lumpy790 wrote:
Valuable qualifying info to the riders. Need 2 = need to pass 2 guys to get into the show IT coming = IT is closing in...
Valuable qualifying info to the riders.

Need 2 = need to pass 2 guys to get into the show
IT coming = IT is closing in on you
- 02 = your pace is slower than the leaders
Whaaaaaa???
bullpen58
1/10/2011 1:24pm
jndmx wrote:
My favorite thing at the track where I announce is when you see kids on 50's getting a pit board. Some of these kids are still...
My favorite thing at the track where I announce is when you see kids on 50's getting a pit board.
Some of these kids are still learning to read.....lol.
Do you draw pictures on the board for them?
LMAO!!! I can only imagine. I'm gonna keep an eye out for this behavior in the future.

Post a reply to: Pit Boards?

The Latest