Piru Mx is back this Saturday... And only on Saturdays...

Dirt addict
Edited Date/Time 4/22/2016 7:16pm
So as I type, Vince the old track manager is on a tractor prepping the layout. They will be open this Saturday from 9am-1pm. $25 entry. If there is enough of a turn out, they will continue to open on Saturdays. The place has gobs of potential and just needs someone to put in the effort. Vince is motivated. The place was solid when he was there. It's only 20 minutes from Santa Clarita on the 126 freeway. I'm putting this out there for selfish reasons. It's another option to ride and we have lost too many tracks already. I-5 was taken over by the state and is run as you'd expect - bare minimum at best. Please come out and support a SoCal track....
|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
4/19/2016 5:02pm
Dang they don't open on Wednesdays any more? I stopped going when they were charging $35 or $40.
gnarwhip
4/19/2016 5:03pm
Nice! I used to race there when it was called Lemon Grove back in the day
Dirt addict
4/19/2016 5:08pm Edited Date/Time 4/19/2016 5:09pm
They have been completely shut down for a few months. For now it will only be Saturdays but if enough interest is shown a midweek is possible. I hope..... And it's back to $25 entry. That's about average in SoCal...
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
4/19/2016 5:42pm
Glad it's back to $25. It's 12 minutes from my house but I still won't go. The owner is a dick and I'd rather drive an extra 8 minutes and save myself $20 and ride Gorman. By 11am the dirt is the same anyways. It would be nice to see someone that actually cares about having a good track buy it. Like you said, it has potential. It needs and owner and track manager that care, not just a track manager.

The Shop

Dirt addict
4/19/2016 5:49pm
Have you been to Gorman lately? It's horrible. Talk about lack of caring. It's run by non riding state employees that get paid no matter what the condition of the track is. All they do is break it up in to clods. They don't even water....
To each his own.... I'll be there Saturday. Happy to have another option to ride....
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
4/19/2016 5:55pm
Have you been to Gorman lately? It's horrible. Talk about lack of caring. It's run by non riding state employees that get paid no matter what...
Have you been to Gorman lately? It's horrible. Talk about lack of caring. It's run by non riding state employees that get paid no matter what the condition of the track is. All they do is break it up in to clods. They don't even water....
To each his own.... I'll be there Saturday. Happy to have another option to ride....
Yes I've ridden Gorman a few times lately. Sure I need a spark arrestor and the track gets super dry and hard packed but after all the years I've ridden piru, I've never seen it not end up the same way by 12pm. Everyone has their own preferences though. I hear all day long how people say they love LACR but I don't think it's that great. Cal city has way better dirt and a better layout. But that's my opinion
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
4/19/2016 6:07pm
Do you think if Piru opened mid week on a different day, they wouldn't have to compete with LACR. I would ride Piru on a Tuesday then it gives me the option to ride LACR Wednesday or Glen Helen on Thursday.

Never made sense to me that LACR and Piru were both open on Wednesday. Just a thought to drive more mid week interest.
Dirt addict
4/19/2016 7:26pm
Yeah a Tuesday would be great. Or Thursday....
Lacr is great. Lately they haven't been ripping it as deep. It gets hard packed for a sand track. There is always room for improvement...
Calihusky
4/19/2016 8:01pm
The last I saw Piru was for sale for $1.7 million. Is this new schedule from the new owners or is it still in limbo between owners?
Dirt addict
4/19/2016 8:16pm
Not sure about that. I heard it was 1.6m. I just want to have options to ride without having to drive several hours. I think it's still the latest owner, after Kevin. I'm hearing stuff 3rd hand. I just want to ride....
Moto88
4/20/2016 12:17am
I just don't get how an extra 10 bucks would stop one from going to a track close to their house. Really? 35 bucks to ride a fully prepped track without having to drive hours is a deal to me! Just a drop in the bucket considering the thousands I have in my bike, gear, bike hauler, etc. Do the math on what it takes to operate a track, cost of land, insurance, equipment, water related stuff (pumps, hoses, etc), labor, tractors, diesel fuel! Don't even think for a second Steve (the owner) is making money providing a track for us to ride. He's losing money. Fortunately he has other income where as he is able/willing to be open. I will support Piru regardless if it is 25, 35, or 40. Thank you Steve! Props to you!!!
Moto88
4/20/2016 12:43am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Glad it's back to $25. It's 12 minutes from my house but I still won't go. The owner is a dick and I'd rather drive an...
Glad it's back to $25. It's 12 minutes from my house but I still won't go. The owner is a dick and I'd rather drive an extra 8 minutes and save myself $20 and ride Gorman. By 11am the dirt is the same anyways. It would be nice to see someone that actually cares about having a good track buy it. Like you said, it has potential. It needs and owner and track manager that care, not just a track manager.
The owner a "dick"?? I disagree. Steve (the owner), who puts in countless hours prepping the track and a lot of other BS that comes with running a track, is one of the coolest dudes I know. No, I'm not a personal friend, just a rider who met him from riding there and talking to him. Over the years have had many conversations with him and can say with confidence that he is a stand up guy. For someone to formulate that opinion of him is hard to imagine. I'm sure there must be some type of misunderstanding. Show up this saturday (if they do re-open), introduce yourself, ill be on a YZ #88, lets talk (not fight) between motos, Maybe by the end of the day you will have a change of heart, or if not hopefully at least a fun day of riding, as the track has been really good all last year! As far as the dirt goes yes you are right, but once the main line gets hard, go to the left or right where it's still good!
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
4/20/2016 12:57pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Glad it's back to $25. It's 12 minutes from my house but I still won't go. The owner is a dick and I'd rather drive an...
Moto88 wrote:
The owner a "dick"?? I disagree. Steve (the owner), who puts in countless hours prepping the track and a lot of other BS that comes with...
The owner a "dick"?? I disagree. Steve (the owner), who puts in countless hours prepping the track and a lot of other BS that comes with running a track, is one of the coolest dudes I know. No, I'm not a personal friend, just a rider who met him from riding there and talking to him. Over the years have had many conversations with him and can say with confidence that he is a stand up guy. For someone to formulate that opinion of him is hard to imagine. I'm sure there must be some type of misunderstanding. Show up this saturday (if they do re-open), introduce yourself, ill be on a YZ #88, lets talk (not fight) between motos, Maybe by the end of the day you will have a change of heart, or if not hopefully at least a fun day of riding, as the track has been really good all last year! As far as the dirt goes yes you are right, but once the main line gets hard, go to the left or right where it's still good!
Unfortunately I've seen him shit talk people on Instagram and as soon as others start calling him out on it he deletes the posts. Also a family friend of ours was talking to him one day and he told our friend that he'd have no problem just shutting the track down and just let it sit there until someone else wanted to buy it. Those two things were enough to make me not want to support him. I have a wedding to attend on Saturday but next time you go ride let me know. I'd be happy to come ride and hang out with you. We can all use more Moto friends
Moto88
4/20/2016 11:32pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Moto88 wrote:
The owner a "dick"?? I disagree. Steve (the owner), who puts in countless hours prepping the track and a lot of other BS that comes with...
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Unfortunately I've seen him shit talk people on Instagram and as soon as others start calling him out on it he deletes the posts. Also a...
Unfortunately I've seen him shit talk people on Instagram and as soon as others start calling him out on it he deletes the posts. Also a family friend of ours was talking to him one day and he told our friend that he'd have no problem just shutting the track down and just let it sit there until someone else wanted to buy it. Those two things were enough to make me not want to support him. I have a wedding to attend on Saturday but next time you go ride let me know. I'd be happy to come ride and hang out with you. We can all use more Moto friends
There's always two sides to most stories. Ok, can't comment on the instagram as I did not see it. As for the other "example" shutting down the track...I didn't get his frustration about all that until I heard/saw it at the track EVERY week!. Didn't matter what he did, people always complained. "Steve, you need to rip it deeper" so he did. "Steve, it's ripped too deep, don't do that". "Steve, that jump is too big, take it out". Jump smaller, "Steve, why the f#%* did you make that jump smaller?" Etc etc...On and on every day at the track, gets old! Now imagine busting your ass every week working on the track (not to mention after putting in 40+ in on main job), dumping in mass money on diesel etc, and having guys come bitch at you, gets old real quick, hence the maybe i'll just close attitude is understandable to me. Sure, i'll hit you up next time (hopefully) he is open and be happy to talk "the other side". And its not just him, Ed at zaca gets this all the time too, as i'm sure almost all track owners do, can't please everyone. Yeah it's part of owning a track, but there is more to it i'd rather not type about. Sure, i'll hit you up next time, looking forward to meeting you, more moto friends sounds good!
Dirt addict
4/22/2016 7:05pm
Looks like they are running it in reverse from the last layout. I'm planning on going. white husqktmvarna 2t. no #.
Big Lenny
4/22/2016 7:16pm
Gorman used to be the shit to me, I'm talking around 2000, Piru always seemed a little unsafe..Blush
1/2/2018 3:46pm
Any word if Piru is open? The website isn't working and Google maps makes it look like it's overgrown with weeds. I am headed down that way this week and would love to ride there again.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
1/2/2018 3:54pm
Any word if Piru is open? The website isn't working and Google maps makes it look like it's overgrown with weeds. I am headed down that...
Any word if Piru is open? The website isn't working and Google maps makes it look like it's overgrown with weeds. I am headed down that way this week and would love to ride there again.
passed it yesterday on the way home from Zaca Station. It's grown over. Unless someone new buys the place and gets the track going again, it will never be open again. Last I knew there were a few years left on the permit and if it doesn't get renewed before it expires, it will not be reissued and will be gone forever.
1/2/2018 4:05pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
passed it yesterday on the way home from Zaca Station. It's grown over. Unless someone new buys the place and gets the track going again, it...
passed it yesterday on the way home from Zaca Station. It's grown over. Unless someone new buys the place and gets the track going again, it will never be open again. Last I knew there were a few years left on the permit and if it doesn't get renewed before it expires, it will not be reissued and will be gone forever.
Bummer! What do they want for the place? Land is included in the sale?
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
1/2/2018 4:16pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
passed it yesterday on the way home from Zaca Station. It's grown over. Unless someone new buys the place and gets the track going again, it...
Bummer! What do they want for the place? Land is included in the sale?
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/4375-Center-St_Piru_C…

You're pretty limited on what you can do with the layout though. I'd like to see someone pick it up and put some work into it. There was a time when the dirt was really good. It just needs someone to put in the time, money and effort.
Motodave15
1/2/2018 4:53pm
Thats cool its back for saturdays only.... I wanted to like this track when i started riding, But every time i rode there.. i got hurt bad.... me and that facility do not mix.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
1/2/2018 5:07pm
Motodave15 wrote:
Thats cool its back for saturdays only.... I wanted to like this track when i started riding, But every time i rode there.. i got hurt...
Thats cool its back for saturdays only.... I wanted to like this track when i started riding, But every time i rode there.. i got hurt bad.... me and that facility do not mix.
Unfortunately it’s not. This post was from last year.
loftyair
1/2/2018 6:02pm Edited Date/Time 1/2/2018 9:27pm
Who was that guy that looked like Billy idol that was running it recently? He used to be into punk, and a crazy street moto dude? Darien?
1/3/2018 9:16am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/4375-Center-St_Piru_CA_93040_M22307-31753 You're pretty limited on what you can do with the layout though. I'd like to see someone pick it up and put some work into...

You're pretty limited on what you can do with the layout though. I'd like to see someone pick it up and put some work into it. There was a time when the dirt was really good. It just needs someone to put in the time, money and effort.
Thanks for the link. I'm going to check it out when I head down there this weekend.
I loved riding at that place. When the dirt was prepped the berms became the most incredible sticky berms I've ever ridden in my life. They would get extremely tall which made it so easy to rail the corners and feel like a pro.....
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
1/3/2018 9:54am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/4375-Center-St_Piru_CA_93040_M22307-31753 You're pretty limited on what you can do with the layout though. I'd like to see someone pick it up and put some work into...

Thanks for the link. I'm going to check it out when I head down there this weekend. I loved riding at that place. When the dirt...
Thanks for the link. I'm going to check it out when I head down there this weekend.
I loved riding at that place. When the dirt was prepped the berms became the most incredible sticky berms I've ever ridden in my life. They would get extremely tall which made it so easy to rail the corners and feel like a pro.....
no problem! How long will you be down this way?

Post a reply to: Piru Mx is back this Saturday... And only on Saturdays...

The Latest