Ping on air forks and 125's

chump6784
Watched this video this morning and found it interesting how Ping talked about how good the forks were and said he can't believe the manufacturers have moved away from spring forks.
Obviously the CV system is like a works system but if manufacturers stuck with the springs I think there would be a trickle down effect. Instead the manufacturers are trying to reinvent the air system.

Also thought it was funny how he was talking about how hard the 125 is to ride. Almost like he was blown away that people could even race them at one time

Last thought, why the hell won't husky give that bike to stanky, imagine him on a works 125, that would be sick

Anyway, here's the video
|
8/9/2016 7:19pm
Didn't 726 have to buy one of his bikes from MotoSport? Im not sure if Husky or Mitch at PC helps him out more.
Really seems like Husky would throw him a bone since his videos get more action than any of their other rides. Jason who?
kiwifan
8/9/2016 7:25pm
yes well, one of them is going back to springs in 2017, so maybe all the rest will follow in 2018?
8/9/2016 7:42pm
Funny when he talks about how hard it is to ride,such a sick bike.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
8/9/2016 8:43pm
After hearing Ping talk about the 125 it really has me second guessing getting one. I think I like the bottom end power of the 4 stroke too much. Ugh, hate to say it but I think it's true.

The Shop

bvm111
8/9/2016 9:02pm
Because ping hates 125s
Plugga
8/9/2016 9:13pm
If 125's are so hard to ride (Ping) and have a big disadvantage against 250F's (Matthes), then why do we still have these handicap rules in place?

Same can be said about the poor 250 smoker vs 450's.

Seriously, why the fuck are these rules still in place?

8/9/2016 9:17pm
Plugga wrote:
If 125's are so hard to ride (Ping) and have a big disadvantage against 250F's (Matthes), then why do we still have these handicap rules in...
If 125's are so hard to ride (Ping) and have a big disadvantage against 250F's (Matthes), then why do we still have these handicap rules in place?

because the tail wags the dog in this niche sport. If I were DC, I'd simply say "engine size equality in all classes" and let Honda either suck it up or take their ball and go home. When I hear the people running the sport say "Gosh, I wish we could do that, but we cant" I know I'm being fed horseshit.
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
8/9/2016 9:17pm
Plugga wrote:
If 125's are so hard to ride (Ping) and have a big disadvantage against 250F's (Matthes), then why do we still have these handicap rules in...

From what I read and hear from the powers that be, the answer is because the manufacturer's don't want 2 stroke engines in professional racing (or at all) and they are the ones that truly control our sport.
bents
Fantasy
909th
8/9/2016 9:48pm
Well he is right, they ARE way harder to ride, and this comes from a 53 year old ham and egger who grew up on 2 strokes like most on here. But that is the beauty of 2 strokes-the mastery of riding them fast, like RR, or Barnett, or Carmichael, or Stewart. I love riding mine because it reminds me of those days and fuck am I slow on that thing, but who cares. It is fun to ride a 2 stroke and feather the clutch and all that goes with it. I remember being fast on it, but it is all relative of course. I would love to race a plus fifty 125 class. Pure fun-and safe!
EddieC
8/9/2016 10:15pm
Ping sure didn't look like he was struggling to ride one at Washougal.
jemcee
8/9/2016 11:52pm
Isn't that the beauty of 2 strokes? Hard to ride fast so if you don't have the skill to ride them fast, you don't ride them fast
Fearo
8/10/2016 1:07am
because the tail wags the dog in this niche sport. If I were DC, I'd simply say "engine size equality in all classes" and let Honda...
because the tail wags the dog in this niche sport. If I were DC, I'd simply say "engine size equality in all classes" and let Honda either suck it up or take their ball and go home. When I hear the people running the sport say "Gosh, I wish we could do that, but we cant" I know I'm being fed horseshit.
When you say "take their ball and go home", the reality is actually "take their millions of dollars and go home".

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you completely, but the reality is, none of the manufacturers want displacement equality, not even KTM or Husky. Nobody wants to invest 100K into their "state of the art" 250Fs only to get wrecked by Kaven Benoit on a a 7K 250 2-stroke with A-Kit suspension and a pipe.

cappelmans
8/10/2016 1:23am
He's right indeed, who wants to set their suspension with an air pump everytime you are going to ride.

And It's definitely hard to ride the 125's. Recently I traded my 4-stroke KX250F for a 2-stroke SX150 and it's quite confronting to notice how bad of a rider I became during my time on the four stroke. Just a lot more lazy, cutting insides, crappy lines, in the saddle too much etc.

The 2-stroke makes me focus on technique and momentum a lot more. Also my cursing game stepped up. It really is a struggle but it's fun to notice the improvements you make on riding the bike.
jemcee
8/10/2016 1:30am
Fearo wrote:
When you say "take their ball and go home", the reality is actually "take their millions of dollars and go home". Don't get me wrong, I...
When you say "take their ball and go home", the reality is actually "take their millions of dollars and go home".

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you completely, but the reality is, none of the manufacturers want displacement equality, not even KTM or Husky. Nobody wants to invest 100K into their "state of the art" 250Fs only to get wrecked by Kaven Benoit on a a 7K 250 2-stroke with A-Kit suspension and a pipe.

Yep over here the team that protested the rule the most (apparently) was the factory Yamaha team
Plugga
8/10/2016 1:42am
Fearo wrote:
When you say "take their ball and go home", the reality is actually "take their millions of dollars and go home". Don't get me wrong, I...

jemcee wrote:
Yep over here the team that protested the rule the most (apparently) was the factory Yamaha team
The Penrite Honda team manager had a good moan about it too. I love how he shoots himself in the foot with point #2Pinch then goes on to say its not fair. Neither was allowing 250's race against 125's!

"Mike Landman – Penrite Honda Racing team manager:
In the Lites class, definitely not. Not a 250 two-stroke anyway, maybe a 150 or something like that. A stock 250 four-stroke out of the box, is anywhere from 35, 36 to 38hp and a stock 250 two-stroke is 8-10 more horses than that. It is possible to get a 250 four-stroke to about 40 or 41hp but you can increase the power in the two-stroke as well and it’s faster to begin with. They should be in separate classes. I think that’s something that could be worked out. My concerns are with running the two together – one, is the big horsepower advantage, and two, I can see that the average person who goes to buy a bike is paying similar money for something that has 10 more hp, probably less in maintenance, and I can see it killing the 250 four-stroke class because you can’t blame people. If you’re a privateer riding in that class it’s a no brainer, you will ride a 250 two-stroke. I totally disagree with it because it’s not a fair and level playing field."

http://www.motoonline.com.au/2014/07/31/point-two-stroke-vs-four-stroke-solutions/
tempura
8/10/2016 4:33am
kiwifan wrote:
yes well, one of them is going back to springs in 2017, so maybe all the rest will follow in 2018?
Yamaha never left...
Slosh 112
8/10/2016 5:10am Edited Date/Time 8/10/2016 5:13am
Fearo wrote:

Bang! right on the money!

But here is the reason MA (Motorcycling Australia) let the lites class consist of 250 two strokes and 250f's. To boost entrant numbers, especially in a domestic series where there is a clear difference between the factory teams and the next level down, If you are not on a factory team then basically you are a privateer or very close to it. Factory Yamaha is easily the biggest player here in Australia and have been for a long time, their 250F's would be punching close to 50 Hp. Even getting more than 40Hp from a 250f requires serious dollars, and with that comes serious maintenance. If you are a privater racing out of a van then there is only so far your fitness will take you when there is such a stark contrast in performance between your dealer supported effort and the full factory bike you line up next to (wich probably has suspension worth more than your Race bike and van put together)

So. As a result it becomes less feasible for anybody that isn't heavily supported to race at a national level here. Enter the 250 2T. MA made it a rule that the engine on a 250 2T must remain in stock trim from the reed cage to the exhaust port, Thus eliminating the advantage that they hold over easy to be made power. You can then buy a brand new 10 grand KTM 250sx that makes the same power as the 80 grand Serco YZ250F, but you dont need to strip the engine down every meet and it provided you with a platform to race at a national level and you did it for cheaper.

bayodome
Fantasy
4305th
8/10/2016 8:03am
After hearing Ping talk about the 125 it really has me second guessing getting one. I think I like the bottom end power of the 4...
After hearing Ping talk about the 125 it really has me second guessing getting one. I think I like the bottom end power of the 4 stroke too much. Ugh, hate to say it but I think it's true.
It's true Joe, 4-strokes are waaaay easier to ride because of that. But 125's and 144's are far more fun, mainly because even if you don't look like a hero, you sound and feel like one.

If you have the option, keep your 4-stroke and pick up a small-bore 2-stroke...for the fun times (250cc 2-strokes are not much fun IMO).
38special
8/10/2016 9:27am
"I don't know how we ever raced these bikes...that's kindof my thoughts coming off this thing."

Classic one-liner from Ping right there. Love it! Laughing

Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2362nd
8/10/2016 9:55am
After hearing Ping talk about the 125 it really has me second guessing getting one. I think I like the bottom end power of the 4...
keep this in mind, this was bike setup for Mike Brown, old school 125 pilots ran their engine for maximum top end, ie sacrificing all bottom, which makes the bike harder to ride. I have ridden one like this, it was hard to keep on pipe but if kept momentum up to not fall off the pipe i was actually throwing down times 1-2 sec faster than my 250f at the time.

the air fork issue comes back to companies trying to save money,

the great thing about spring forks, yes they can be harder to setup with shims and stuff BUT you dont have to play with it EVERY TIME YOU RIDE. set it once and tune your clickers, and they dont fade or change with the heat
kiwifan
8/10/2016 4:02pm
kiwifan wrote:
tempura wrote:
Yamaha never left...
do you always state the obvious?
tempura
8/10/2016 4:21pm
kiwifan wrote:
do you always state the obvious?
Only when it's nessesary.
8/10/2016 4:51pm
Plugga wrote:

Help me out with the rules due too my serious ignorance .....
8/10/2016 4:51pm
keep this in mind, this was bike setup for Mike Brown, old school 125 pilots ran their engine for maximum top end, ie sacrificing all bottom...
keep this in mind, this was bike setup for Mike Brown, old school 125 pilots ran their engine for maximum top end, ie sacrificing all bottom, which makes the bike harder to ride. I have ridden one like this, it was hard to keep on pipe but if kept momentum up to not fall off the pipe i was actually throwing down times 1-2 sec faster than my 250f at the time.

the air fork issue comes back to companies trying to save money,

the great thing about spring forks, yes they can be harder to setup with shims and stuff BUT you dont have to play with it EVERY TIME YOU RIDE. set it once and tune your clickers, and they dont fade or change with the heat
Air forks require the same "shims and stuff" setup.

Post a reply to: Ping on air forks and 125's

The Latest