"Phil In" Riders

mark_swart
Edited Date/Time 1/31/2016 4:56pm
I watched the feature last night on JGR and their fill-in program, and it always leaves me scratching my head. Is it really THAT much more expensive to have a third rider full time? I'm sure they already pay him some sort of salary, it seems like it would just make more sense having him there every race (maybe with a lower tier of support), as opposed to paying a solid rider to not race and then bringing him out in case of emergency.
|
1/31/2016 2:42pm
Yes. Bikes. Parts. Mechanics. Hotel/food stipend for at least 2 more. Etc. Watson has talked about it on Pulp before. I think JBone did too. It's probably another 200-300K all in to make it happen, his salary aside. It's not the money for him, it's the money to support him.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
1/31/2016 2:55pm
Also they want him healthy to race when the others aren't healthy. He is less likely to be injured if he's not racing every weekend.

I think if the teams started having 3 riders full time the sponsorship agreements would end up demanding 3 riders on the track instead of 2.
Harry_Gray
1/31/2016 4:25pm
I think what JGR is doing is a good thing. Maybe those fill in riders aren't making the big bucks, but...they can be ready to fill in at a moments notice, plus they still get time in on the track and stay employed.
ga_pike
1/31/2016 4:37pm
It's about the sponsors. Outside sponsors want to guarantee their bikes are in the race. In JGR's case, the contract stipulates 2 bikes.

My question... if Peick or Niccoletti were to go down at this point, would JGR have to find someone else to fill in?

The Shop

tmx860
1/31/2016 4:56pm
ga_pike wrote:
It's about the sponsors. Outside sponsors want to guarantee their bikes are in the race. In JGR's case, the contract stipulates 2 bikes. My question... if...
It's about the sponsors. Outside sponsors want to guarantee their bikes are in the race. In JGR's case, the contract stipulates 2 bikes.

My question... if Peick or Niccoletti were to go down at this point, would JGR have to find someone else to fill in?
In 2014 at Seattle they had friese on the team because they needed two guys and Grant and brayton were hurt

Post a reply to: "Phil In" Riders

The Latest