Performance Enhancing Drugs

The Rock
10/26/2011 6:20am Edited Date/Time 10/26/2011 6:22am
Outsider wrote:
Okay, so what if you don't lose a leg. [b]Your body simply loses its ability to make HGH or Testosterone like it should. Is it a...
Okay, so what if you don't lose a leg. Your body simply loses its ability to make HGH or Testosterone like it should. Is it a "competitive advantage" to supplement your hormone levels to be within the range of your competition?

Bingo
NFM
themrtoad
10/26/2011 6:28am
txmxer wrote:
[b]grudge against American riders[/b] Pretty obvious that it's excuse he has chosen so he can sleep at night for why the American/AMA riders kick the crap...
grudge against American riders

Pretty obvious that it's excuse he has chosen so he can sleep at night for why the American/AMA riders kick the crap out of the European riders year after year.
Yeah it bugs me when you compare apples and oranges. I can't know for sure if the outcome would have been the same with the same rules applied on both sides of the pond(and neither can you). I do however don't give a damn about what country wins, because for me mx is an individual sport.

I'm tired of having discussions like this with friends that buy all the shit that "journalists" in the industry make up to please the riders, promotors etc. I'm also tired of all the shit that promotors come up with to fill their pockets.

MX has turned into a sport where it's okay to cheat with cc and illegal substances. A sport where riders are afraid to speak out, and where journalists gets their credentialt taken away if you write the truth. There's a lot of things that stink in this sport and what annoys me most is not FIM vs AMA. I would love to see all cheaters get caught basically.
Nerd
10/26/2011 8:07am
themrtoad wrote:
I sure the guys in europe cheat as well, but they have to be more careful which means they can't go all out. If you look...
I sure the guys in europe cheat as well, but they have to be more careful which means they can't go all out.
If you look at some of the greatets riders of today and the past in AMA ( Not Trey Canard) they have even changed their apperance. It's one thing if you loose a few pounds from training, but your chin normally doesn't grow.

The rules are different here from over there. But hey, the show must go on. I'm sure YS/FIM/AMA and all other parties involved can agree to not test for certain things in Lommel 2012. Cause we don't want the guests of honour to not show up, do we?
The ONLY racers given a drug test following this year's MXoN were Team USA. They passed.

What does that tell you?
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
10/26/2011 8:08am
themrtoad wrote:
I sure the guys in europe cheat as well, but they have to be more careful which means they can't go all out. If you look...
I sure the guys in europe cheat as well, but they have to be more careful which means they can't go all out.
If you look at some of the greatets riders of today and the past in AMA ( Not Trey Canard) they have even changed their apperance. It's one thing if you loose a few pounds from training, but your chin normally doesn't grow.

The rules are different here from over there. But hey, the show must go on. I'm sure YS/FIM/AMA and all other parties involved can agree to not test for certain things in Lommel 2012. Cause we don't want the guests of honour to not show up, do we?
Nerd wrote:
The ONLY racers given a drug test following this year's MXoN were Team USA. They passed.

What does that tell you?
That they used a good masking agent?

The Shop

Nerd
10/26/2011 8:12am
themrtoad wrote:

Nerd wrote:

What does that tell you?
UpTiTe wrote:
That they used a good masking agent?
It tells us nothing. Just like it tells us nothing when European riders are tested and pass (or fail!).

Because they only test urine. Urine won't catch the good stuff. It's a waste of time and money.

I don't have any reason to believe any of them are using PEDs at all. But whether they are or not, a urine test won't catch it.
10/26/2011 8:41am
themrtoad wrote:
Yeah it bugs me when you compare apples and oranges. I can't know for sure if the outcome would have been the same with the same...
Yeah it bugs me when you compare apples and oranges. I can't know for sure if the outcome would have been the same with the same rules applied on both sides of the pond(and neither can you). I do however don't give a damn about what country wins, because for me mx is an individual sport.

I'm tired of having discussions like this with friends that buy all the shit that "journalists" in the industry make up to please the riders, promotors etc. I'm also tired of all the shit that promotors come up with to fill their pockets.

MX has turned into a sport where it's okay to cheat with cc and illegal substances. A sport where riders are afraid to speak out, and where journalists gets their credentialt taken away if you write the truth. There's a lot of things that stink in this sport and what annoys me most is not FIM vs AMA. I would love to see all cheaters get caught basically.
But the powers that be will always tell you that it is a better sport today because they have "improved" the sport

I agree with you though.
Rizzo
10/26/2011 9:48am
Sunhouse wrote:
The point I´m trying to make here is that steroids HGH and EPO and so on, are illegal by US law. So even though the AMA...
The point I´m trying to make here is that steroids HGH and EPO and so on, are illegal by US law. So even though the AMA doesn´t test for them, they are illegal, hence the use of them in the US would be considered cheating. But if they weren´t illegal, it wouldn´t be cheating to use these PEDs because they would be available to everyone, UNLESS the AMA rule book prohibited the use for MX
Define "illegal" by US law when doctors prescribe it and administer it all the time. Weed is legal in some states, every doctors office on the west coast is now a "Weight Loss Clinic" and people trying to lose weight are lined up every day getting what.............................HgH. I could drive down the road with 200 Oxycontin tabs in my glove box and get pulled over, I'm free to go as long as I have a doctors prescription for it, if not......felony posession of class 4 narcotic, have you not noticed those Pain Management Clinics in your city? Those things are everywhere. Your Dentist or Ortho doc will only give you so many scripts for pain meds before he says "fuck it", I'm not doing this, but those clinics, thats all they do, distribute narcotics.

What about TRT(testosterone replacement therapy)? Thats a perfectly legal way to get juice. I go to the doc, I'm almost 40, I tell him I'm not as horny and active as I used to be and a test or two later, I've got a script for Testosterone. TRT is all over the MMA sport, you have athletic commissions that are supervising it. Just like blood levels in cycling, testosterone levels are tested and have a threshold number, go over that number and you're busted, stay just barely under it, and you are clean as a whistle. The only difference is that in MMA, the fighters are required to disclose there use of TRT so everyone knows their business. The word "illegal" is almost laughable these days, it almost the same as "telling mom" and having to go to bed an hour early.
Nerd
10/26/2011 9:58am
And here's the thing:

The next step in "performance enhancing" is going to be "gene doping".

To explain it simply: A lot of us have genes that would be advantageous for sports, or even for academics. But sometimes those genes aren't being expressed. We HAVE them, but they're not "working". Why? There's a blocker on the gene. A protein that prevents it from being expressed.

In other cases, we have genes that are BAD for sports, such as genes that make us fat or slow our metabolic rate. If these genes ARE expressed, we'll have a much harder time staying trim.

In both of those examples, they're figuring out ways to introduce a protein, enzyme, chemical, or what have you, that will either block the expression of disadvantageous genes, or remove the block from advantageous genes, at which point you can be, genetically, a very gifted athlete.

There would be absolutely no way of policing this sort of thing, because it's going to be genetic.

So, new question:

Is it "cheating" to unblock genes, or block genes, that you naturally have from birth in order to become a better athlete?
Rizzo
10/26/2011 10:05am
Nerd wrote:
And here's the thing: The next step in "performance enhancing" is going to be "gene doping". To explain it simply: A lot of us have genes...
And here's the thing:

To explain it simply: A lot of us have genes that would be advantageous for sports, or even for academics. But sometimes those genes aren't being expressed. We HAVE them, but they're not "working". Why? There's a blocker on the gene. A protein that prevents it from being expressed.

In other cases, we have genes that are BAD for sports, such as genes that make us fat or slow our metabolic rate. If these genes ARE expressed, we'll have a much harder time staying trim.

In both of those examples, they're figuring out ways to introduce a protein, enzyme, chemical, or what have you, that will either block the expression of disadvantageous genes, or remove the block from advantageous genes, at which point you can be, genetically, a very gifted athlete.

There would be absolutely no way of policing this sort of thing, because it's going to be genetic.

So, new question:

Is it "cheating" to unblock genes, or block genes, that you naturally have from birth in order to become a better athlete?
If those genes can be sold, I'll bottle up Stewarts genes for whoops and sell a shit load of it to Alessi racing. Then, I'll buy up some Tiger Woods golf game genes and some Bill Gates business genes and then take over the world. Have you seen that movie Limitless with Bradley Cooper? Some crazy shit that might not be far off! Two of my favorite sayings, "it's better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission" and "if you ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin."
Rizzo
10/26/2011 10:09am Edited Date/Time 10/26/2011 10:09am
Nerd wrote:
And here's the thing: The next step in "performance enhancing" is going to be "gene doping". To explain it simply: A lot of us have genes...
And here's the thing:

So, new question:

doubled up
crewshin
10/26/2011 10:39am
Nerd wrote:
Steroids, aka testosterone, is made in your body naturally. If you use crazy amounts, maybe. Maybe. But these guys aren't bodybuilding. It's a non-issue if you...
Steroids, aka testosterone, is made in your body naturally. If you use crazy amounts, maybe. Maybe. But these guys aren't bodybuilding. It's a non-issue if you have healthy kidneys to start with.

The stuff that's really hard on the kidneys is all of the supplements they take. Even just the casings on the supplements can do a lot of damage to your internals if you take them too often.
Your last paragraph tell's me that you really do know a thing or two about this stuff Steve. People have no idea how gnarly the casings are on your body.

You also had a few good points a couple pages back. For me personally... I would LOVE it if there were some regulations in those other areas. I don't get why we haven't seen a stock or spec class yet. Even if it was a special class in the middle of the 250's and 450's. Just let people to go to a bike shop, buy a bike, do a bit of suspension work (nothing crazy) to help set things up for supercross and that's IT.

Build it and they will come. IMO, a class like that would go over really well.
crewshin
10/26/2011 10:42am
Nerd wrote:
And here's the thing:

So, new question:

100% guaranteed coming to a track near you very soon.

Very good question you present too.
Nerd
10/26/2011 10:54am
Nerd wrote:
Steroids, aka testosterone, is made in your body naturally. If you use crazy amounts, maybe. Maybe. But these guys aren't bodybuilding. It's a non-issue if you...
Steroids, aka testosterone, is made in your body naturally. If you use crazy amounts, maybe. Maybe. But these guys aren't bodybuilding. It's a non-issue if you have healthy kidneys to start with.

The stuff that's really hard on the kidneys is all of the supplements they take. Even just the casings on the supplements can do a lot of damage to your internals if you take them too often.
crewshin wrote:
Your last paragraph tell's me that you really do know a thing or two about this stuff Steve. People have no idea how gnarly the casings...
Your last paragraph tell's me that you really do know a thing or two about this stuff Steve. People have no idea how gnarly the casings are on your body.

You also had a few good points a couple pages back. For me personally... I would LOVE it if there were some regulations in those other areas. I don't get why we haven't seen a stock or spec class yet. Even if it was a special class in the middle of the 250's and 450's. Just let people to go to a bike shop, buy a bike, do a bit of suspension work (nothing crazy) to help set things up for supercross and that's IT.

Build it and they will come. IMO, a class like that would go over really well.
I've read a ton about this stuff, and I've talked a lot with trainers and the like.

People are "anti-drug" and just by calling these things "performance-enhancing drugs" they are anti-PED. But they have no clear idea what they are, why they work, or acceptable ranges for hormones like testosterone or HGH.

It's just people parroting what they've heard instead of thinking for themselves. People who never question laws or rules, but simply by the fact that there are laws or rules that makes the laws or rules correct.

I simply can't and don't think like that. Authoritarianism is a scary thing.
Mod Killer
10/26/2011 11:09am Edited Date/Time 10/26/2011 11:19am
Nerd wrote:
I've read a ton about this stuff, and I've talked a lot with trainers and the like. People are "anti-drug" and just by calling these things...
I've read a ton about this stuff, and I've talked a lot with trainers and the like.

People are "anti-drug" and just by calling these things "performance-enhancing drugs" they are anti-PED. But they have no clear idea what they are, why they work, or acceptable ranges for hormones like testosterone or HGH.

It's just people parroting what they've heard instead of thinking for themselves. People who never question laws or rules, but simply by the fact that there are laws or rules that makes the laws or rules correct.

I simply can't and don't think like that. Authoritarianism is a scary thing.
and that is exactly why its OK that this is swept under the rug. the "anti-drug/PED" crowd is about as short-sighted as the "anti-cheating" crowd.

until joe-public is intelligent enough to handle the truth in a rational matter, they have no business knowing it. too often people form opinions before thinking and dont do research before thinking. the kneejerk reaction crowd prevents progress imo.

and way to go with bringing "gene therapy" into the discussion. shit just got more interesting yet got more murky. haha. im not aware of the range this technology has (with regards to how far along it has come or what sports its currently in), and ive certainly never heard of it in mx. but youre right, if its out there, its already in the olympics, TDF, and its coming to a sport near you. fighting this "PED war" is a losing battle. its like the war on drugs, never gonna win it, battling the symptoms instead of the root of the issue....therefore total waste of time/energy.

michael crichton's book "Next" is a great read for anyone interested in a fictional take on where things are headed.
MBR
10/26/2011 11:13am
Nerd wrote:

What does that tell you?
Nothing, since even at last Finnish Supercross race at Lahti last weekend top three Finnish riders and two random riders were tested. In Europe riders are tested quite often and that is nothing to get upset about.
HatersSuck
10/26/2011 11:26am Edited Date/Time 10/26/2011 11:29am
HatersSuck wrote:
Performance enhancing drugs don't help you in this sport. Taking a drug can't help you get better starts, pick lines or corner faster.
UpTiTe wrote:
Yeah you're right, the added strength and endurance does nothing for you does it?
Not without talent. Talent always wins out in MX. Riders Like Metty could go drug wild and still never beat RV or Dungey.

MX is different than any sport out there. Talent,Balls and Will are the difference makers in MX not PED's
crewshin
10/26/2011 11:31am
Mod Killer wrote:
and that is exactly why its OK that this is swept under the rug. the "anti-drug/PED" crowd is about as short-sighted as the "anti-cheating" crowd. until...
and that is exactly why its OK that this is swept under the rug. the "anti-drug/PED" crowd is about as short-sighted as the "anti-cheating" crowd.

until joe-public is intelligent enough to handle the truth in a rational matter, they have no business knowing it. too often people form opinions before thinking and dont do research before thinking. the kneejerk reaction crowd prevents progress imo.

and way to go with bringing "gene therapy" into the discussion. shit just got more interesting yet got more murky. haha. im not aware of the range this technology has (with regards to how far along it has come or what sports its currently in), and ive certainly never heard of it in mx. but youre right, if its out there, its already in the olympics, TDF, and its coming to a sport near you. fighting this "PED war" is a losing battle. its like the war on drugs, never gonna win it, battling the symptoms instead of the root of the issue....therefore total waste of time/energy.

michael crichton's book "Next" is a great read for anyone interested in a fictional take on where things are headed.
The only problem with you mindset... is that it's JUST AS WRONG, if not more wrong... than everyone else you are talking about.

The sweep it under the rug and don't talk about it mentality is just fubar imo.
bullpen58
10/26/2011 11:57am
Gym Briggs wrote:
Performance enhancing drugs aren't going to make you twist the throttle further. That's the beauty of our sport. No drug out there is going to make...
Performance enhancing drugs aren't going to make you twist the throttle further. That's the beauty of our sport. No drug out there is going to make you the best. Thats something that either you have it or you don't!
FroDiddy wrote:
Right. I mean, who needs stamina?
Exactly. I mean, this is a MOTOR-sport. Not an actual sport. There is zero physical aspect to racing mx. The bike does all the work. It's not like NASCAR where the drivers have to be all in shape or whatever. MX racers just sit on the seat and twist the grip. It's all about the size of your cajones and the goodiness of your bike.

A guy on a POS Yamaha is gonna go pretty good until the bike forces him to endo spectacularly (e.g., Stewart) or pull off the track with mental exhaustion (e.g., Pourcel). But a guy on a Kawasaki is gonna win every single championship (e.g., RV) because the bike did all the work (with naked exhaust pipes, no less).
Mod Killer
10/26/2011 1:24pm Edited Date/Time 10/26/2011 2:19pm
crewshin wrote:
The only problem with you mindset... is that it's JUST AS WRONG, if not more wrong... than everyone else you are talking about. The sweep it...
The only problem with you mindset... is that it's JUST AS WRONG, if not more wrong... than everyone else you are talking about.

u are entitled to your opinion.

but i see way too many people taking shots at this sports media for not exposing some truths. as if other sports dont sweep things under the rug. i know from a EXTREMELY credible source that both peyton manning and tom brady have some gnarly skeletons in their closet. and if a nobody like me knows, you can damn well bet the NFL media is well aware..... ive had dinner with beat reporters that could tell story after story of absolutely insane stuff pro athletes and coaches have done. crazy shit that makes the bean popping sx main story sound pedestrian........ a family friend of mine used to troll high schools with joe montana and pick up chics back in the 80s when they were winning superbowls. there is plenty of shit that doesnt get out in other sports. sometimes they are just protecting their golden goose (the wrong reason to cover up, but understandable if all angles are considered) and sometimes the public would rather be lied to.

the relationship that a athlete has with the media goes a long way. a loooong way.

the fact is, the public doesnt want the truth and they cannot handle it. they just dont have the perspective and intellect to interpret these complicated issues. show me otherwise and i will change my mind and share the same sentiment as you. im all for honesty.

i believe that it is absolutely unjust the way barry bonds, mcguire, and sosa have been treated. we all turned a blind eye from the early 90s on. its our own damn faults we didnt do our research (or use common sense) prior to putting these guys on pedestals. now they are treated as if they cheated the game? for doing something that wasnt even against the rules? it takes a total fool to not know that these were some of the three most competitive and hardest working athletes of our time. they made the ultimate sacrifices to entertain us and hear the crowds roar. and now those same people have turned on them.

do u want to see that happen to the heros of mx?

a guy like chad reed goes flying thru the air and could have easily died in minnesota this year. but he gets back on that bike and keeps going. a absolute fucking warrior. the crowd went crazy. this forum went nutz. it put him in legendary status. and not that im implicating him, but god forbid it was later found out that a PED helped him get back on that bike and finish the moto in some way shape or form.....would you or anyone else have a right to think differently of him? was his accomplishment any less amazing?

those are some of the things ya gotta ask yourself.

it would be criminal. the fact is, if we were consistent in our logic, RC would be held on an even higher platform for the sacrifices he's made for this sport. this sport may be stuck in the stone ages when compared to most others, but the days of talent alone winning titles (a la motogp in the 70s) ended with MC's last championship winning battle with DV. those days are long gone and never coming back.

the fact is, PED's are in every sport and here to stay. just like they are in our everyday walk of life. its all around us. its better that you understand it and come to grips with it before placing judgement. it has nothing to do with competitive balance or health concerns. both of those points have been killed in this debate. it has everything to do with our own projections and heartbreak when we find out our "heros" arent what WE THOUGHT they were. thats on us, not them.

the public will never understand what it is to dedicate every waking moment of a persons life to their craft. hell, most people cannot even understand or make the basic sacrifices necessary for their own children. they will never know what it means to sacrifice as much as these athletes have for something as trivial in life as sports. and if you cannot understand that, you will not be able to understand what would push a competitor to use a taboo training method. i'll say it again, its all about perspective.

somehow, its ok that chad reed can nearly kill himself in a race. but not ok if he were to use PED's......its ok that football players die well before their time (despite the finest medical affordable) due to the abuse of the game, but were gonna start testing for HgH and fine guys for hitting too hard.......its somehow a problem that some riders have un-obtanable suspension and electronics even tho the 15-40th place guys would still get the same results on a factory bike........ this board routinely chastises mike alessi constantly for his lack of commitment in the whoops, yet he'd be run out of the sport if were to fail a drug test.

the contradictions are so blatant and irrational its not even funny.
10/26/2011 1:35pm
Performance enhancing drugs would only make you dependent to it. Skills and abilities are important to our sport. besides drugs has side effects and may cause adverse reactions that will weaken your body even more.
crewshin
10/26/2011 1:36pm Edited Date/Time 10/26/2011 1:37pm
Mod Killer: You actually have some good logic and make some solid points... both of which aren't very common on MX forums. My problem with what you are saying is that my moral's get in the way of me thinking like that. Not that I'm all perfect and whatnot... but, I do feel that there needs to be a balance here.

I mean why not go the full blown George Carlin route and promote an "unlimited class" where anything goes? :D
Nerd
10/26/2011 2:02pm
crewshin wrote:
The only problem with you mindset... is that it's JUST AS WRONG, if not more wrong... than everyone else you are talking about. The sweep it...

Mod Killer wrote:
u are entitled to your opinion. but i see way too many people taking shots at this sports media for not exposing some truths. as if...
u are entitled to your opinion.

but i see way too many people taking shots at this sports media for not exposing some truths. as if other sports dont sweep things under the rug. i know from a EXTREMELY credible source that both peyton manning and tom brady have some gnarly skeletons in their closet. and if a nobody like me knows, you can damn well bet the NFL media is well aware..... ive had dinner with beat reporters that could tell story after story of absolutely insane stuff pro athletes and coaches have done. crazy shit that makes the bean popping sx main story sound pedestrian........ a family friend of mine used to troll high schools with joe montana and pick up chics back in the 80s when they were winning superbowls. there is plenty of shit that doesnt get out in other sports. sometimes they are just protecting their golden goose (the wrong reason to cover up, but understandable if all angles are considered) and sometimes the public would rather be lied to.

the relationship that a athlete has with the media goes a long way. a loooong way.

the fact is, the public doesnt want the truth and they cannot handle it. they just dont have the perspective and intellect to interpret these complicated issues. show me otherwise and i will change my mind and share the same sentiment as you. im all for honesty.

i believe that it is absolutely unjust the way barry bonds, mcguire, and sosa have been treated. we all turned a blind eye from the early 90s on. its our own damn faults we didnt do our research (or use common sense) prior to putting these guys on pedestals. now they are treated as if they cheated the game? for doing something that wasnt even against the rules? it takes a total fool to not know that these were some of the three most competitive and hardest working athletes of our time. they made the ultimate sacrifices to entertain us and hear the crowds roar. and now those same people have turned on them.

do u want to see that happen to the heros of mx?

a guy like chad reed goes flying thru the air and could have easily died in minnesota this year. but he gets back on that bike and keeps going. a absolute fucking warrior. the crowd went crazy. this forum went nutz. it put him in legendary status. and not that im implicating him, but god forbid it was later found out that a PED helped him get back on that bike and finish the moto in some way shape or form.....would you or anyone else have a right to think differently of him? was his accomplishment any less amazing?

those are some of the things ya gotta ask yourself.

it would be criminal. the fact is, if we were consistent in our logic, RC would be held on an even higher platform for the sacrifices he's made for this sport. this sport may be stuck in the stone ages when compared to most others, but the days of talent alone winning titles (a la motogp in the 70s) ended with MC's last championship winning battle with DV. those days are long gone and never coming back.

the fact is, PED's are in every sport and here to stay. just like they are in our everyday walk of life. its all around us. its better that you understand it and come to grips with it before placing judgement. it has nothing to do with competitive balance or health concerns. both of those points have been killed in this debate. it has everything to do with our own projections and heartbreak when we find out our "heros" arent what WE THOUGHT they were. thats on us, not them.

the public will never understand what it is to dedicate every waking moment of a persons life to their craft. hell, most people cannot even understand or make the basic sacrifices necessary for their own children. they will never know what it means to sacrifice as much as these athletes have for something as trivial in life as sports. and if you cannot understand that, you will not be able to understand what would push a competitor to use a taboo training method. i'll say it again, its all about perspective.

somehow, its ok that chad reed can nearly kill himself in a race. but not ok if he were to use PED's......its ok that football players die well before their time (despite the finest medical affordable) due to the abuse of the game, but were gonna start testing for HgH and fine guys for hitting too hard.......its somehow a problem that some riders have un-obtanable suspension and electronics even tho the 15-40th place guys would still get the same results on a factory bike........ this board routinely chastises mike alessi constantly for his lack of commitment in the whoops, yet he'd be run out of the sport if were to fail a drug test.

the contradictions are so blatant and irrational its not even funny.
HOF!!!!

Great job on this post. I completely agree.
Mod Killer
10/26/2011 2:08pm Edited Date/Time 10/26/2011 11:03pm
crewshin wrote:
Mod Killer: You actually have some good logic and make some solid points... both of which aren't very common on MX forums. My problem with what...
Mod Killer: You actually have some good logic and make some solid points... both of which aren't very common on MX forums. My problem with what you are saying is that my moral's get in the way of me thinking like that. Not that I'm all perfect and whatnot... but, I do feel that there needs to be a balance here.

I mean why not go the full blown George Carlin route and promote an "unlimited class" where anything goes? :D
exactly. your morals get in the way. and what are morals? highly subjective guidelines that we either place on ourselves or they were placed on us via social conditioning (and usually without formed thru rhyme and reason) and ;later projected onto others. hardly the sort of stuff that should be taking precident in a discussion such as this no?

knowing that your morals are the issue, means you are halfway there to understanding this whole topic.

morals tho, have no place in battle. and that is the approach that winners take. they win at all costs. its what makes them train as hard as they do, and take it "too far" in the eyes of u and others. john stockton was a dirty player, but dennis rodman was dirtier. what u gotta understand is that their determination is a switch that cannot be turned off. there is no volume knob for guys like RC, Michael Jordan, Lance Armstrong, Bill Billicheck, Peyton Manning, and Michael Schumacher. they cant turn it down a couple clicks. its the sanctioning bodies job to keep them in check. not their own. their job is to go go go go go and go harder. to curb that is a gross contradiction and would fuck up their whole psyche.

if youre going to cheer those people on, ya gotta take the good with the bad (or to put it better, "ugly truths").

otherwise its just a league full of jamarcus russel's.

as for your george carlin question.....life and sport is already an "unlimited class". since the beginning of its inception PED's have played a role in the TDF, nothing will change that. thats the way life really is. losers play by the rules, winners play dirty. show me anywhere in life/history/mother nature/society where that doesnt ring true? rules of sport are their to protect that sports integrity. PED's dont hurt a sports integrity when facing as many contradictions as they do in this debate. hell, even if one were to compete in the TDF without the use of PEDs (which is impossible btw, but for arguments sake entertain the proposition)...the legal and "safe" training necessary to be fit enough to compete at that level isnt safe at all. the amount of strenuous excercise that these cyclists endure on a daily/weekly basis far exceeds what any phd in their right mind would say is safe. THE NECESSARY CYCLING ALONE TAKES YEARS OFF A PERSONS LIFE. i bet u or others did not know that. again, perspective is everything.
Nerd
10/26/2011 2:15pm
crewshin wrote:
Mod Killer: You actually have some good logic and make some solid points... both of which aren't very common on MX forums. My problem with what...

Mod Killer wrote:
exactly. your morals get in the way. and what are morals? highly subjective guidelines that we either place on ourselves or they were placed on us...
exactly. your morals get in the way. and what are morals? highly subjective guidelines that we either place on ourselves or they were placed on us via social conditioning (and usually without formed thru rhyme and reason) and ;later projected onto others. hardly the sort of stuff that should be taking precident in a discussion such as this no?

knowing that your morals are the issue, means you are halfway there to understanding this whole topic.

morals tho, have no place in battle. and that is the approach that winners take. they win at all costs. its what makes them train as hard as they do, and take it "too far" in the eyes of u and others. john stockton was a dirty player, but dennis rodman was dirtier. what u gotta understand is that their determination is a switch that cannot be turned off. there is no volume knob for guys like RC, Michael Jordan, Lance Armstrong, Bill Billicheck, Peyton Manning, and Michael Schumacher. they cant turn it down a couple clicks. its the sanctioning bodies job to keep them in check. not their own. their job is to go go go go go and go harder. to curb that is a gross contradiction and would fuck up their whole psyche.

if youre going to cheer those people on, ya gotta take the good with the bad (or to put it better, "ugly truths").

otherwise its just a league full of jamarcus russel's.

as for your george carlin question.....life and sport is already an "unlimited class". since the beginning of its inception PED's have played a role in the TDF, nothing will change that. thats the way life really is. losers play by the rules, winners play dirty. show me anywhere in life/history/mother nature/society where that doesnt ring true? rules of sport are their to protect that sports integrity. PED's dont hurt a sports integrity when facing as many contradictions as they do in this debate. hell, even if one were to compete in the TDF without the use of PEDs (which is impossible btw, but for arguments sake entertain the proposition)...the legal and "safe" training necessary to be fit enough to compete at that level isnt safe at all. the amount of strenuous excercise that these cyclists endure on a daily/weekly basis far exceeds what any phd in their right mind would say is safe. THE NECESSARY CYCLING ALONE TAKES YEARS OFF A PERSONS LIFE. i bet u or others did not know that. again, perspective is everything.
Mod Killer has a serious handle on this discussion.

Nice work.

I've written columns in the past asking a basic question: With how so many people look up to Ricky Carmichael, would any parent raise their child to be like Ricky?

Would you raise a child who doesn't like sharing, tries to win at everything, is a VERY sore loser to the point of alienating friends throughout his life, etc.? Who would raise their kid like that?

I don't think anyone would. Not even RC's parents. People are BORN this way. Great competitors, great champions, are born more than raised. It's nature, not nurture. When it hurts to lose so much that winning doesn't make you happy, it just keeps you from being angry, that's a champion. And there's no PED for that.
Nerd
10/26/2011 2:19pm
EVERY cyclist in the Tour de France is using PEDs. ALL of them. So when one gets caught, what is really going on?

People celebrate when a guy pops on a drug test. "Yay! Get him, that cheater! Yay!"

But what really happened? What really happened is that a guy was eliminated from the Tour not for cheating, but for not being as good at cheating as everyone else.

In other words, if this "cheater" was winning when he got caught "cheating", all it does is move EVERY OTHER CHEATER UP A SPOT. It took second place, who was also cheating, and made them the winner for being better at cheating.

What did you solve?
Nerd
10/26/2011 2:23pm
And yet another point here to further showing the massive gray area here:

In the gene doping I mentioned above, many of the gene-expression blockers can be removed through conventional (sort of) means. For example, I read about a guy who had cancer and started eating nothing but spinach for like two months, and his cancer went away. Why? Because it gave his body enough of a certain vitamin or enzyme that it blocked the gene for his particular cancer, and it just went away.

So, say eating nothing but spinach would do the same for some athletic gene. Is it okay to eat nothing but spinach with the expressed purpose being that you want to express this gene and you need this chemical from the spinach to do it?

Assuming you say yes, that's okay, then why wouldn't it also be okay to isolate that vitamin or enzyme, concentrate it, and give it in pill or shot form to do exactly the same thing?
10/26/2011 2:24pm
Where is DC to say that they will be testing everyone during the 2012 AMA Outdoor Series, with blood tests?

I can handle the truth Mod Killer, but I don't think those who benefit from these PED takers the most can, because their little meal tickets would be gone.
Nerd
10/26/2011 2:26pm
SuperMario wrote:
Where is DC to say that they will be testing everyone during the 2012 AMA Outdoor Series, with blood tests? I can handle the truth Mod...
Where is DC to say that they will be testing everyone during the 2012 AMA Outdoor Series, with blood tests?

I can handle the truth Mod Killer, but I don't think those who benefit from these PED takers the most can, because their little meal tickets would be gone.
Who is it you're referring to?

I bet if you offered to pay for the testing, DC would consider it.

Post a reply to: Performance Enhancing Drugs

The Latest