Perfect Pro Website?

paulferrier
11/22/2009 5:48pm Edited Date/Time 1/20/2012 10:34am
So what's your opinion? What are you most interested in when visiting a pro team's website?

Gain more access to the pro riders?
Riding tips?
Schedule?
Results?
Team feedback on each race?
Bikes/parts for sale?
Racing setup info?

What most interests you?

For me, schedule and results can come from anywhere. So I guess find I am more interested in feedback from the riders and overall setup info.

I am helping a team with a website and want to know what everyone else is looking for.
|
crowe176
11/22/2009 6:21pm
The pro's ho.
Chili
11/22/2009 7:26pm
People visit Pro teams websites?
paulferrier
11/22/2009 7:55pm
Ha. I hope so. I am just looking to get some good ideas on what people are interested in.

The Shop

Coyote
11/22/2009 8:42pm
Video of them training!
Video of them training!
Thank you.
Pretty soon great site coming on line www.fullspeed.com Motorsports site covering all racing, NASCAR, SX, MX, Road Racing, Interactive site!! Keep it on the upside!!
worcsracer808
11/22/2009 9:05pm
pretty much what you mentioned I haven't really been to any sites like that, but would be interesting if they had a tech tip section that talked about a racing set up for each different track, sort of like the JGR tech tip thing that was on the motocross coverage on TV where albrecht would talk about the bike set up for each race.
paulferrier
11/22/2009 9:32pm
pretty much what you mentioned I haven't really been to any sites like that, but would be interesting if they had a tech tip section that...
pretty much what you mentioned I haven't really been to any sites like that, but would be interesting if they had a tech tip section that talked about a racing set up for each different track, sort of like the JGR tech tip thing that was on the motocross coverage on TV where albrecht would talk about the bike set up for each race.
I am definitely going to suggest video. But it's a fine line to walk. They'll have to invest in someone good at shooting/editing. If it's a boring video, it's not going to be good for anyone. Smile

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it!
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
595th
11/22/2009 9:50pm Edited Date/Time 11/22/2009 9:53pm
Never found one that is updated or any valuable info so I never visit any of them. So maybe that would be a good start.
motoxhead
11/22/2009 10:02pm
I want to see them breakdown the footage of their last race with honest critiques of the other riders etc.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
595th
11/22/2009 10:08pm
Riding tips?
Schedule?
Results?
Bikes/parts for sale?
Racing setup info?

I like your ideas. Especially the Team feedback on each race. It would be cool to see video walk through of a race weekend. Show your team rig, mechanics working, race day rider prep and practice. Weekday practice leading up to a race. Some traveling pics. Not many people get to see all the cities all the towns that a rider sees. They always say how hard their schedule and travel and just say you have no idea. Well lets see it.
Then show a different view. Follow the team drivers, mechanics, shop workers and what they go through getting ready for a race. Interview a suspention or motor guy, bike assembly guy. Let them say how proud they are to be part of the team and highlight how their roll in the team. There is a lot of cool stuff you can do just by being more personal that would bring a lot of respect to your team.

Interview your sponsors, show video of your sponsors, Link to your sponsors page. Make it like they are part of your team not a logo. Give them a voice to say Hi to the fans through the rider/team they sponsor. If you show them off in a cool way, an interesting way or let them show their support or interests with the team, it would probably make it easy to secure sponsors in the future by giving them exposure that they really didn't count on getting all the while making you look more sponsorable than other teams. It would just be a cool thing to do and probably make their team support stronger by making them feel as part of the team rather than sponsor of the team.
BobbyM
11/23/2009 3:33am
So what's your opinion? What are you most interested in when visiting a pro team's website? Gain more access to the pro riders? Riding tips? Schedule...
So what's your opinion? What are you most interested in when visiting a pro team's website?

Riding tips?
Schedule?
Results?
Bikes/parts for sale?
Racing setup info?

What most interests you?

For me, schedule and results can come from anywhere. So I guess find I am more interested in feedback from the riders and overall setup info.

I am helping a team with a website and want to know what everyone else is looking for.
salaries posted..that'd be cool. all pro sports do it....
flarider
11/23/2009 5:59am
So what's your opinion? What are you most interested in when visiting a pro team's website? Gain more access to the pro riders? Riding tips? Schedule...

Riding tips?
Schedule?
Results?
Bikes/parts for sale?
Racing setup info?

What most interests you?

#1, IMO, timely weekly reports without bullshit and spin. Tell it like it is, good or bad. If Johnny rode like crap, tell us why Johnny rode like crap and how the team plans to address it. The cliche's of "Johnny had a bad weekend and we hope for better luck next week" is old and tiresome...WHY did Johnny have a bad week and how are you addressing it?

Riding tips are good, but you can't do it weekly or daily

Schedule and results are obvious.

I also think that since these teams depend on sponsorship product and/or dollars and as part of that sponsorship, teams should spend more time promoting those products. Tell us why your riders, in their words, like the boots they wear or have the mechanics show us why they like a particular lube or oil or graphics and how they use it and maybe additional uses they've found for it. Think of it as mini team sponsor commercials.

Team "confessional" where during the day or post race, a team member (rider, mechanic, leadership) can say what's on their mind about the day, how the rider feels about the track or bike or problems the mechanic is having with set up that day.

People want to know the TRUE in's and out's of a day in the life of a rider and team, without the smokescreen and sugar coating
AMA714
11/23/2009 6:19am

Riding tips?
Schedule?
Results?
Bikes/parts for sale?
Racing setup info?

What most interests you?

flarider wrote:
#1, IMO, timely weekly reports without bullshit and spin. Tell it like it is, good or bad. If Johnny rode like crap, tell us why Johnny...
#1, IMO, timely weekly reports without bullshit and spin. Tell it like it is, good or bad. If Johnny rode like crap, tell us why Johnny rode like crap and how the team plans to address it. The cliche's of "Johnny had a bad weekend and we hope for better luck next week" is old and tiresome...WHY did Johnny have a bad week and how are you addressing it?

I also think that since these teams depend on sponsorship product and/or dollars and as part of that sponsorship, teams should spend more time promoting those products. Tell us why your riders, in their words, like the boots they wear or have the mechanics show us why they like a particular lube or oil or graphics and how they use it and maybe additional uses they've found for it. Think of it as mini team sponsor commercials.

Team "confessional" where during the day or post race, a team member (rider, mechanic, leadership) can say what's on their mind about the day, how the rider feels about the track or bike or problems the mechanic is having with set up that day.

People want to know the TRUE in's and out's of a day in the life of a rider and team, without the smokescreen and sugar coating
What Dave said and then add a section about the bikes.... What parts you tried and why. How it worked and how up got to a certain set up.
paulferrier
11/23/2009 12:23pm
Gain more access to the pro riders? Riding tips? Schedule? Results? Team feedback on each race? Bikes/parts for sale? Racing setup info? I like your ideas...
Riding tips?
Schedule?
Results?
Bikes/parts for sale?
Racing setup info?

I like your ideas. Especially the Team feedback on each race. It would be cool to see video walk through of a race weekend. Show your team rig, mechanics working, race day rider prep and practice. Weekday practice leading up to a race. Some traveling pics. Not many people get to see all the cities all the towns that a rider sees. They always say how hard their schedule and travel and just say you have no idea. Well lets see it.
Then show a different view. Follow the team drivers, mechanics, shop workers and what they go through getting ready for a race. Interview a suspention or motor guy, bike assembly guy. Let them say how proud they are to be part of the team and highlight how their roll in the team. There is a lot of cool stuff you can do just by being more personal that would bring a lot of respect to your team.

Interview your sponsors, show video of your sponsors, Link to your sponsors page. Make it like they are part of your team not a logo. Give them a voice to say Hi to the fans through the rider/team they sponsor. If you show them off in a cool way, an interesting way or let them show their support or interests with the team, it would probably make it easy to secure sponsors in the future by giving them exposure that they really didn't count on getting all the while making you look more sponsorable than other teams. It would just be a cool thing to do and probably make their team support stronger by making them feel as part of the team rather than sponsor of the team.
Yeah, again...I think if the team is more personable and real, the better response they'll get from fans and sponsors. I like the idea of interviewing the wrenches as well as the riders. It would be cool to get fans involved as well, both at the event and from home.

I think better sponsor integration throughout a site is key too vs just a logo.

Thank you again for the great feedback. I love this forum already.
paulferrier
11/23/2009 12:29pm

Riding tips?
Schedule?
Results?
Bikes/parts for sale?
Racing setup info?

What most interests you?

BobbyM wrote:
salaries posted..that'd be cool. all pro sports do it....
I like your thinking. I wonder how much push back I will get on this one. Smile I will definitely propose it.
paulferrier
11/23/2009 12:35pm
flarider wrote:
#1, IMO, timely weekly reports without bullshit and spin. Tell it like it is, good or bad. If Johnny rode like crap, tell us why Johnny...

Right, back to the point of being real. Big kudos points for riders who acknowledge they just simply sucked this weekend, especially if they can return the next week and place well.

Sponsorship is key. Not only is it good for the site visitors/fans, but naturally for the sponsors as well. hence the reason they shell out the dough.

Ha. It would be interesting to catch some of the internal tiffs of the team throughout the race week.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback!
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
763rd
11/23/2009 12:57pm
I was going to help Andrew Short once and his agent decided to setup with mxwebsites company but I see his site doesn't even work anymore.

http://www.andrewshort.com

I think the best feature on any pro's site was a letter to fans like Bubba does every once an a while. nice to hear it from the horse mouth before it reaches the rumor mill.

Other then that, some high quality picts of them is the second thing I look for, other then that I visit the others sites.

The pro's just don;t have time to update their own site. That why I was trying to do Andrew's. I think if pro's had a trusted fan that keep tabs on them would be the best way to maintain a pro site. Even cobra's site is not updated anymore..
flarider
11/23/2009 1:08pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:05pm
Right, back to the point of being real. Big kudos points for riders who acknowledge they just simply sucked this weekend, especially if they can return...
Right, back to the point of being real. Big kudos points for riders who acknowledge they just simply sucked this weekend, especially if they can return the next week and place well.

Sponsorship is key. Not only is it good for the site visitors/fans, but naturally for the sponsors as well. hence the reason they shell out the dough.

Ha. It would be interesting to catch some of the internal tiffs of the team throughout the race week.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback!
I actually mentioned to WWR a few years back that they should stick a few of their riders in a camper with video cameras and follow their season, as well as the goings on of having all those riders under the same tent, where it can be crowded and busy as well as each rider and mechanic having their own problems and issues going on.

WWR is a MX reality show in itself and they should tape and edit it down to good parts and then sell it for $20 at years end.

No one would be expecting network quality, but something that really shows the struggle, shit, laughter and heartbreak that really goes on with a group like that is something people would pay for, especially if it helped WWR raise funds

Be good if Vital or RacerX had weekly video teasers of crap that went on during that week, so you'll have to wait for the year end video to see all of it.

I think most any team could do this, even BBMX

People like reality and drama, not the obviously faked Kardashian shit, but someone just taping as the world goes by drama.

I'd pay $20 to see a tape of what went on at BBMX last season with Lemay's time there and Boni jumping ship to H&H....people would pay for that
paulferrier
11/23/2009 1:10pm
AMA714 wrote:
What Dave said and then add a section about the bikes.... What parts you tried and why. How it worked and how up got to a...
What Dave said and then add a section about the bikes.... What parts you tried and why. How it worked and how up got to a certain set up.
Cool, thanks for sharing!
paulferrier
11/23/2009 1:28pm
Moto_Geek wrote:
I was going to help Andrew Short once and his agent decided to setup with mxwebsites company but I see his site doesn't even work anymore...
I was going to help Andrew Short once and his agent decided to setup with mxwebsites company but I see his site doesn't even work anymore.

http://www.andrewshort.com

I think the best feature on any pro's site was a letter to fans like Bubba does every once an a while. nice to hear it from the horse mouth before it reaches the rumor mill.

Other then that, some high quality picts of them is the second thing I look for, other then that I visit the others sites.

The pro's just don;t have time to update their own site. That why I was trying to do Andrew's. I think if pro's had a trusted fan that keep tabs on them would be the best way to maintain a pro site. Even cobra's site is not updated anymore..
You have some great points. I've never been a pro racer, so I can't speak for them on having the time to do it. But in my opinion, they don't need to write novels, just a couple lines would suffice. It's showing the fans they are there, real, and involved.

Just to say,

"I am whipped. Sorry for the brief update, but I have to hit the bed. What I did today - lots of practice and an interview with VitalMX.com. Look for it! Talk to you tomorrow."

Um, yeah. Something like that.
flarider
11/23/2009 1:37pm
another idea might be to link to a Twitter or even facebook account, where team members can post about their day or goings on.
paulferrier
11/23/2009 2:22pm
flarider wrote:
another idea might be to link to a Twitter or even facebook account, where team members can post about their day or goings on.
Yes, that is definitely a prerequisite these days. Smile Thank you.

Post a reply to: Perfect Pro Website?

The Latest