People just don't get it...

FI2T
Busted my Collar Bone and two ribs. Surgery on the demolished clavicle tomorrow. My wife in the last two days has been told by 5 people she needs to take my bikes away. She is a keeper though and told them "I'm not his mother"! She also said "he'll be back on the bike as soon as possible and I'm ok with that". The ER doc and the orthopedic doc both had nothing nice to say about bikes as well. It's sad to me that some people are so scared to get hurt, that they never get to experience the pure adrenaline rush a dirt bike provides.
|
Panic_Rev
1/4/2017 9:44am
My buddy hurt his finger mt. biking (also rides mx) and went to see the doctor in his home town. The doc ended up being a fan of mx and was part of the asterisk. I think that is the only doctor story I have heard that was an advocate for the sport.
1/4/2017 9:46am
My buddy is in pre op. at this moment waiting for his to be plated. Its all part of the game.. I always get asked, "and you still ride??"
dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
1/4/2017 9:50am
it takes a 1/2 sec. to have a life changing event...I don't see how a wife is suppose to take away bike....they don't have enough power...when I was younger I bailed hard...coma, broken wrist...all I wanted to do was get back on the bike...
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
1/4/2017 9:53am
Panic_Rev wrote:
My buddy hurt his finger mt. biking (also rides mx) and went to see the doctor in his home town. The doc ended up being a...
My buddy hurt his finger mt. biking (also rides mx) and went to see the doctor in his home town. The doc ended up being a fan of mx and was part of the asterisk. I think that is the only doctor story I have heard that was an advocate for the sport.
It's going to take people a while to get use to the fact that it's no longer the Asterisk Mobile Medical rig. It's now the Alpinestars Mobile Medical rig.

Props to Alpinestars for stepping up. I was chatting with Doc Bodnar last week, and he told me that they're even better equipped than before.

The Shop

Falcon
Fantasy
856th
1/4/2017 9:56am
How many people do the doctors see who fell down in the shower? Should we all stop showering?

Cutting oneself? Should we stop cutting our food?

Effing car accidents? Don't get me started.

To suggest I give up a fun way to exercise (and exercise my right to pursue happiness, by the way,) is irresponsible and short-sighted.
Pepe
1/4/2017 10:00am
FI2T wrote:
Busted my Collar Bone and two ribs. Surgery on the demolished clavicle tomorrow. My wife in the last two days has been told by 5 people...
Busted my Collar Bone and two ribs. Surgery on the demolished clavicle tomorrow. My wife in the last two days has been told by 5 people she needs to take my bikes away. She is a keeper though and told them "I'm not his mother"! She also said "he'll be back on the bike as soon as possible and I'm ok with that". The ER doc and the orthopedic doc both had nothing nice to say about bikes as well. It's sad to me that some people are so scared to get hurt, that they never get to experience the pure adrenaline rush a dirt bike provides.
I went to a doctor recently for what I believe will be diagnosed as Chronic Exertional Compartment Syndrome (CECS). Translation: I get armpump backing my truck out of a parking space, and shin splints running to the bathroom. Extremely fit, can see my abs, and benchpress double my bodyweight. (no, really.) So its not a conditioning issue.

Explained this all to the doctor, who then condescendingly told me "if it hurts when you ride, then I suggest you not ride your bike as much". He then prescribed me with one of the nastiest pain meds there is, Gabapentin. It's an unconventional pain med, and I don't know much about it other than its so nasty that you have to be weaned off of it due to the risk of seizures.

Long story short, I have an appointment with Pastrana's hand/arm doctor the Monday after A1. No doubt he will fix me up, because he is someone who understands. Dr. Gabapentin on the other hand just wanted to stroke my arms and compliment me on my "tightness" if you smell what im stepping in.

People are more narrowminded these days than ever and view everything through their own inexperienced douche-goggles.
kkawboy14
1/4/2017 10:04am
....they care about you and your wife! What's not to get about that?
Tracktor
1/4/2017 10:06am
A person I work with stumbled in our parking lot and shattered her tib/fib worse than I did casing an 90' double. Shit happens might as well have a decent story.............
TeamGreen
1/4/2017 10:10am
FI2T wrote:
Busted my Collar Bone and two ribs. Surgery on the demolished clavicle tomorrow. My wife in the last two days has been told by 5 people...
Here's your response:

"Yup, I got hurt. Fun has its price for me, I guess. I'm glad "Normal" is working out for you. Me? Normal bores me to death."
Pepe
1/4/2017 10:12am
TeamGreen wrote:
Here's your response: "Yup, I got hurt. Fun has its price for me, I guess. I'm glad "Normal" is working out for [b]you[/b]. Me? Normal bores...
Here's your response:

"Yup, I got hurt. Fun has its price for me, I guess. I'm glad "Normal" is working out for you. Me? Normal bores me to death."
That's how I respond to all those situations. It's the "Fight Club" method.

"Hows _______________ working out for you? Oh, great, well keep it up then."
FI2T
1/4/2017 10:14am
kkawboy14 wrote:
I get what you are saying but it's not the we care tone. It's the anyone who rides a dirt bike is a dumb ass tone.
FI2T
1/4/2017 10:15am
TeamGreen wrote:
Here's your response: "Yup, I got hurt. Fun has its price for me, I guess. I'm glad "Normal" is working out for [b]you[/b]. Me? Normal bores...
Here's your response:

Pretty much my exact response!
toomanykaws
1/4/2017 10:15am
Years ago was getting a physical needed to for my NHRA license. Female Doctor. She says whats does NHRA mean? This is when she had her hands on my equipment. "Cough". I said car racing. She says why would you do that? Don't you have any other hobbies? I says motorcycles. The face she made. She said oh I wouldn't tolerate that out of a guy. So I had to ask, so you aren't married? Well no. You? Of course and the wife goes with me. Someone has to take care of me and keep me fed. I don't tell people today I have dirt, adventure and streetbikes. F them. Don't need to hear their pissy ass stories and comments.
elementmx
1/4/2017 10:16am
two different docs for two different surgeries and neither spoke a word about me giving up riding. that was a choice i eventually made on my own, as it should be.

but on the other side of things, after stepping away I can kind of see things from an outsider point of view. so, so much more to life than motocross and when you literally risk your neck and life every time you ride, its impossible for non-riders to see the allure.

family and doctors concerned for your health, i feel, have a right to express their opinion, but no one can understand the passion we have/had for moto unless they feel it themselves, and we just have to accept that.
TeamGreen
1/4/2017 10:17am
kkawboy14 wrote:
FI2T wrote:
I get what you are saying but it's not the we care tone. It's the anyone who rides a dirt bike is a dumb ass tone.
Like I said...

Let them have "Normal".

Stuntman949
1/4/2017 10:31am
Its a miracle we survive everyday any way. There's some food for thought
kkawboy14
1/4/2017 10:35am
FI2T wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
Here's your response:

Here's my response: man I'm glad you care about me but man I just can't get away from it!
kkawboy14
1/4/2017 10:38am
kkawboy14 wrote:
FI2T wrote:
It's hard to argue with that attitude especially when your laying there busted up.

It's easier to thank them and just agree, "I'm an idiot and and I don't know why but man I'm not trying to die I just love living. Riding the couch isn't living to me, even tho it's safe"
moscrop940
1/4/2017 11:00am
I get the speech regularly from my mom and sister.

"You have a family to take care of, how dare you continue to risk your like because you want to ride"....

For the longest time I was battling them by myself, but now that I am married to a woman above and beyond my level who 100% supports my racing, she goes to bat for me. She will tell everyone and anyone who is against my riding, and I quote "racing is what he LOVES, it's who he is. No one has the right to tell him to give up his passion. And god forbid he did die racing, his last moments were spent doing what he loved".....
Hard to argue with that.

After my last surgery we asked the doc if I my ankle would be strong enough to ever ride again. He told me straight up "the whole point of this surgery was to give you your life back. I want you to ride again, snowboard again, chase your daughter again...you NEED to get back to your normal life"

Got to love people who understand the passion...
Pepe
1/4/2017 11:26am
kkawboy14 wrote:
FI2T wrote:
kkawboy14 wrote:
It's hard to argue with that attitude especially when your laying there busted up. It's easier to thank them and just agree, "I'm an idiot and...
It's hard to argue with that attitude especially when your laying there busted up.

It's easier to thank them and just agree, "I'm an idiot and and I don't know why but man I'm not trying to die I just love living. Riding the couch isn't living to me, even tho it's safe"
That's called capitulation, and some people just don't do it. I can see where you're coming from, though.
Mini Elsinore
1/4/2017 11:27am Edited Date/Time 1/4/2017 11:46am
Life choices are all risk-based at the core. Heal up!

Camp332
1/4/2017 11:36am
moscrop940 wrote:
I get the speech regularly from my mom and sister. "You have a family to take care of, how dare you continue to risk your like...
I get the speech regularly from my mom and sister.

"You have a family to take care of, how dare you continue to risk your like because you want to ride"....

For the longest time I was battling them by myself, but now that I am married to a woman above and beyond my level who 100% supports my racing, she goes to bat for me. She will tell everyone and anyone who is against my riding, and I quote "racing is what he LOVES, it's who he is. No one has the right to tell him to give up his passion. And god forbid he did die racing, his last moments were spent doing what he loved".....
Hard to argue with that.

After my last surgery we asked the doc if I my ankle would be strong enough to ever ride again. He told me straight up "the whole point of this surgery was to give you your life back. I want you to ride again, snowboard again, chase your daughter again...you NEED to get back to your normal life"

Got to love people who understand the passion...
Doctors in California are wayyyy cooler than NJ Doctors for the most part. My one orthopedic Dr for my shoulder was cool as hell, and supported the snowboarding/motocross stuff.

People at work are judging anyone that lives a little on the edge.
DA498
1/4/2017 11:55am
This is hitting home with me right now as I'm sitting here for the last 5 weeks in a cast due to a ruptured Achilles. Of course from riding!.
I'm 58 years old and I'm getting it from all angles, but mostly the wife.
Ive been lucky in that Ive had few injuries over the years mostly because I'm slow, so that may be a good thing, but this has now got me thinking I should stop riding.
I got the "your too old for this" comment of course and we all know how ridiculous that is, but seems legit to those that fear for your health.
For me right now its more of a financial issue than a health problem. Loss of work is putting some pressure on my situation and doesn't play well for me to get right back on the horse without being penalized.
This sport has been a part of me forever and to just walk away will be very difficult. Ive had many emotions running through my head, especially early on in the recovery.
I get it, but people just don't........
1/4/2017 12:06pm
My conversation would have been short.

"We drive to work every day. I know more people who have died in traffic accidents than on a dirtbike; 2:1. Way more who have passed from cancer, including my father. I'll take my chances doc."
1/4/2017 12:18pm
She must have a good life insurance policy on ya ! If you don't succeed the first time try,try again. Heal up n giver!
TeamGreen
1/4/2017 12:19pm Edited Date/Time 1/4/2017 12:20pm
FI2T wrote:
kkawboy14 wrote:
It's hard to argue with that attitude especially when your laying there busted up. It's easier to thank them and just agree, "I'm an idiot and...

Pepe wrote:
That's called capitulation, and some people just don't do it. I can see where you're coming from, though.
Actually: I get the feeling that we're talking about a person in pain and in fear of the potential diagnosis having to hear negative shit from those that're suppose to help him feel better and get well.

I go to a Dr. that's stoked that I'm still having this much fun.

I am -not- snipping at any of y'all in here. If you're reading any angst into this, it's towards the "preachers of lameness" that're wearing scrubs in the ER...etc.

peelout
1/4/2017 12:21pm
kkawboy14 wrote:

Pepe wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
Actually: I get the feeling that we're talking about a person in pain and in fear of the potential diagnosis having to hear negative shit from...
Actually: I get the feeling that we're talking about a person in pain and in fear of the potential diagnosis having to hear negative shit from those that're suppose to help him feel better and get well.

I go to a Dr. that's stoked that I'm still having this much fun.

I am -not- snipping at any of y'all in here. If you're reading any angst into this, it's towards the "preachers of lameness" that're wearing scrubs in the ER...etc.

easy with the angst bro, save it for E-Town
Roostermx58
1/4/2017 12:23pm
Just agree that you should stop and let the doctor know that. You dont want to go into surgery with the doctor saying, hes just going to break this again, no reason to fix it properly!
1/4/2017 12:45pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Here's your response:

Pepe wrote:
That's how I respond to all those situations. It's the "Fight Club" method.

"Hows _______________ working out for you? Oh, great, well keep it up then."
I usually go with..."I suppose some people simply need more out of their life than just safe things, even if there is a cost to be paid."

As to the "they just care about you, what's not to get?" poster.... Do you really, truly believe that,Laughing or just trolling?Whistling

Post a reply to: People just don't get it...

The Latest