Pain Medication of the Pros

BIGRIGGIN
1/7/2013 2:51pm Edited Date/Time 1/10/2013 3:25pm
What kind of pain medication is available to Professional athletes that allows them to safely compete with separated shoulders, broken bones, torn ligaments, etc. What do these guys take that keeps their heads clear and the pain away? Or is it just adrenaline and big cajones?
|
Torco1
1/7/2013 2:52pm
Black tar heroin
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
1/7/2013 2:55pm
Probably a shot of a local of some kind.
Torco1
1/7/2013 3:03pm
Kidding aside, would they even be allowed to race if they had to be given something like morphine.....or would that be considered a hazard to themselves and the other riders?
Lightning78
1/7/2013 3:06pm Edited Date/Time 1/7/2013 3:07pm
I would say they get a cortizone shot to reduce the swelling and dull out the pain, they work VERY well for that w/o any narcotic effects.

This would only be referring to joint damage like a knee, hand, elbow, foot, shoulder...etc

The Shop

therealjonon
1/7/2013 3:07pm
Torco1 wrote:
Kidding aside, would they even be allowed to race if they had to be given something like morphine.....or would that be considered a hazard to themselves...
Kidding aside, would they even be allowed to race if they had to be given something like morphine.....or would that be considered a hazard to themselves and the other riders?
im pretty sure in the rule book its all listed of what you cant take. tylenol or nothing. but, who follows the rules
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1006th
1/7/2013 3:20pm
Last i heard.... a cort shot wasn't legal but that alot of guys use them anyway.
1/7/2013 3:23pm
If they needed morphine they wouldn't be in any shape to ride. With the amount of focus that it takes to race a supercross I doubt they can take much beyond a tylenol.
Motoxdoc
1/7/2013 3:26pm
What are you kidding? These guys are MEN! They ride with pain and that is that! You think there's a "secret pain pill" that doesn't make your head "cloudy?".........NOPE!
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
1/7/2013 3:27pm
Torco1 wrote:
Kidding aside, would they even be allowed to race if they had to be given something like morphine.....or would that be considered a hazard to themselves...
im pretty sure in the rule book its all listed of what you cant take. tylenol or nothing. but, who follows the rules
http://list.wada-ama.org/prohibited-in-competition/prohibited-substances/

I'd assume if it's not banned, it's permitted.

Not claiming it's the same, but I've had a number of left (through the groin) and right (through the neck) heart cats where the incisions are done with a local (lidocaine) without any sedation, and my son had surgery on his ear with the same, and its painless. I think that the same thing they do in the NFL when they kill pain in the rib area.

Not sure it's a great idea, but the guys at that level are weighing different factors and incentives for current performance that us mortals.
jmb227
1/7/2013 3:33pm
I dont know what is used today but i can tell you in the early to mid 90's Cortisone was as plentiful as water in an Ice Hockey locker room. It works too you feel like a kid again after that stuff. The bad part is it masks the true injury.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4000th
1/7/2013 3:36pm
Toradol is what they do now. Its non addictive but really bad for you take more then one or two times a week.
BIGRIGGIN
1/7/2013 3:38pm
I remember kids on our HS football team getting cortizone shots for games. I didn't play just remember hearing this. This was in the 80's. They seem pretty benign; I had one once to numb pain in my shoulder so I could properly re-hab it and it worked out great for about 5 yrs. I could see this being used for sure. Thanks.
Motoxdoc
1/7/2013 3:39pm
jmb227 wrote:
I dont know what is used today but i can tell you in the early to mid 90's Cortisone was as plentiful as water in an...
I dont know what is used today but i can tell you in the early to mid 90's Cortisone was as plentiful as water in an Ice Hockey locker room. It works too you feel like a kid again after that stuff. The bad part is it masks the true injury.
.............and it breaks down connective tissue over time!
jmc2
Fantasy
1690th
Toradol has been popular in the past, possibly even still.
RRsis17
Cortisone shots never helped my foot even thought it was nerve issues. All it did was make it feel swollen.

I know a lot of riders tend to have higher pain tolerances it seems then average athletes...maybe it is from all the jarring they do to their bodies.
Torco1
1/7/2013 3:39pm Edited Date/Time 1/7/2013 3:40pm
Motoxdoc wrote:
What are you kidding? These guys are MEN! They ride with pain and that is that! You think there's a "secret pain pill" that doesn't make...
What are you kidding? These guys are MEN! They ride with pain and that is that! You think there's a "secret pain pill" that doesn't make your head "cloudy?".........NOPE!
I've destroyed my body from riding and don't take pain meds on a regular basis, but from being in and out of the hospital and having to be on pain meds from time to time I can easily put down 4 percocets or norcos at one time and it not even make my head "cloudy". I'm sure there are others out there that can do the same.
1/7/2013 3:41pm
[url=http://list.wada-ama.org/prohibited-in-competition/prohibited-substances/]http://list.wada-ama.org/prohibited-in-competition/prohibited-substances/[/url] I'd assume if it's not banned, it's permitted. Not claiming it's the same, but I've had a number of left (through the groin) and right...

Not claiming it's the same, but I've had a number of left (through the groin) and right (through the neck) heart cats where the incisions are done with a local (lidocaine) without any sedation, and my son had surgery on his ear with the same, and its painless. I think that the same thing they do in the NFL when they kill pain in the rib area.

Not sure it's a great idea, but the guys at that level are weighing different factors and incentives for current performance that us mortals.
Are you sure they didn't slip you a little something special? We usually knock everyone out a little bit before we cath them.
ocscottie
1/7/2013 3:45pm Edited Date/Time 1/7/2013 3:47pm
BIGRIGGIN wrote:
I remember kids on our HS football team getting cortizone shots for games. I didn't play just remember hearing this. This was in the 80's. They...
I remember kids on our HS football team getting cortizone shots for games. I didn't play just remember hearing this. This was in the 80's. They seem pretty benign; I had one once to numb pain in my shoulder so I could properly re-hab it and it worked out great for about 5 yrs. I could see this being used for sure. Thanks.
Craiger, I want to take a BATH in corto! i have to get a shot in my right shoulder every 4-6months, crazy how good it works for me.

But Toradol makes me sick to my stomach, really weird.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
1/7/2013 3:50pm
[url=http://list.wada-ama.org/prohibited-in-competition/prohibited-substances/]http://list.wada-ama.org/prohibited-in-competition/prohibited-substances/[/url] I'd assume if it's not banned, it's permitted. Not claiming it's the same, but I've had a number of left (through the groin) and right...

Are you sure they didn't slip you a little something special? We usually knock everyone out a little bit before we cath them.
Mate, I've had probably 40 minimum since the transplant in 99, so it's pretty routine. Once a week at the beginning, but every other year now. I only get something special if I want to sleep during the bolted down period in recovery, and then it's usually just benedryl.

It got a lot less frequent when they were able to just pull blood to do the rejection tests with genetic markers rather than pull actual specimens. Nothing quite like feeling someone plucking bits of tissue from inside your heart. And it sounds like someone's pulling a brake cable from its sheath when they take it back out the neck.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
1/7/2013 3:52pm
ocscottie wrote:
Craiger, I want to take a BATH in corto! i have to get a shot in my right shoulder every 4-6months, crazy how good it works...
Craiger, I want to take a BATH in corto! i have to get a shot in my right shoulder every 4-6months, crazy how good it works for me.

But Toradol makes me sick to my stomach, really weird.
All nsaids are hard on the stomach (and kidneys). Sometimes opoids are unbeatable.
1/7/2013 3:56pm
Mate, I've had probably 40 minimum since the transplant in 99, so it's pretty routine. Once a week at the beginning, but every other year now...
Mate, I've had probably 40 minimum since the transplant in 99, so it's pretty routine. Once a week at the beginning, but every other year now. I only get something special if I want to sleep during the bolted down period in recovery, and then it's usually just benedryl.

It got a lot less frequent when they were able to just pull blood to do the rejection tests with genetic markers rather than pull actual specimens. Nothing quite like feeling someone plucking bits of tissue from inside your heart. And it sounds like someone's pulling a brake cable from its sheath when they take it back out the neck.
Oh man that's some funny stuff. Sounds like you would have to ride the modified class at LL's!
enketchum
1/7/2013 4:01pm
When most guys get hurt, they just get an IV in their motorhome.... oh, wait, that's illegal too....
ocscottie
1/7/2013 4:08pm
All nsaids are hard on the stomach (and kidneys). Sometimes opoids are unbeatable.
Sometimes opoids are unbeatable.

Tell me about it! i probably take more a day by lunchtime than most do a week Dizzy Im in kind of a fucked situation until i decide to have that surgery...but im just too damn scared to do it.
Motoxdoc
1/7/2013 4:08pm
Motoxdoc wrote:
What are you kidding? These guys are MEN! They ride with pain and that is that! You think there's a "secret pain pill" that doesn't make...
Torco1 wrote:
I've destroyed my body from riding and don't take pain meds on a regular basis, but from being in and out of the hospital and having...
I've destroyed my body from riding and don't take pain meds on a regular basis, but from being in and out of the hospital and having to be on pain meds from time to time I can easily put down 4 percocets or norcos at one time and it not even make my head "cloudy". I'm sure there are others out there that can do the same.
Uh oh! That's not good! That means you are building a resistance to them. They probably not only don't make your head cloudy.....but they probably don't do much for the pain either.
ocscottie
1/7/2013 4:19pm
BTW: i recall watching a vid w/ Windham and he talked about that injury last year, and he mentioned Oxy's, i cant remember exactly what was said, but its not often we hear the riders talk about the specific pain meds they have to take.

My doctor worked w/ a college football team back in the day and he said the coaches would urge him to pass out percoset like candy on the bus before the games.

A lot of football players talk about having to take a pain shot right before a game, but what besides a narcotic has an immediate affect? Cortisone in my shoulder takes a good day, sometimes 2 before it is fully effective. I cant imagine a 250+Lbs doped up dude running after my ass on the field!!
1/7/2013 4:19pm
ocscottie wrote:
[i]Sometimes opoids are unbeatable.[/i] Tell me about it! i probably take more a day by lunchtime than most do a week :S Im in kind of...
Sometimes opoids are unbeatable.

Tell me about it! i probably take more a day by lunchtime than most do a week Dizzy Im in kind of a fucked situation until i decide to have that surgery...but im just too damn scared to do it.
Do IT Wuss
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4000th
1/7/2013 4:34pm Edited Date/Time 1/7/2013 4:34pm
jmc2 wrote:
Toradol has been popular in the past, possibly even still.
Guys are doing it because its non addictive. Sooo many rider have been strung out on Oxy over the past 10 years at least. One is a current rider. I know two promising kids, both with PC at the time, that got strung out on Oxy and it cost them their careers.
1/7/2013 4:34pm
What's the worst that could happen?You will be out anyway,sack up dude.

Post a reply to: Pain Medication of the Pros

The Latest