Pagoda MX Birdsboro PA

So I show up at Pagoda MX (1hr 20mins away, not too far) around 12pm on Saturday. The "Big Bucks" race was this weekend so they were having practice from 10am-4pm on Saturday. I checked the weather before I left and there was no signs of rain until after 8 or 9pm and sprinkling throughout the day. I went to sign up around 12:30pm and started my first ride between 12:50 and 1. I go out for my first ride for around 15 mins (practice was broken up into classes). I went up to watch some of the other classes and then I went back to get ready for my 2nd practice and they announced that they were cutting practice short because they want to get a head start on the rain and preserve the track for tomorrow's race. My total track time was around 30 mins (Practice was announced to be cut short at around 2pm). I don't care about the money, . They knew the weather situation all week just like everyone else did. They posted on Facebook that they would be open from 10-4. They didn't mention that they might cut practice short on Facebook, and that's extremely greedy. I'm posting because I know if I call they aren't going to give me a rain check. I'm not even going to try because they knew what they were doing. People traveled from all around the Northeast this weekend and they knew that.
|
brian878
10/9/2016 3:46pm
If you want to ride longer, get out of bed in the morning and get there and be ready to ride at 10am. An 80 minute drive isn't anything and opening at 10am is easy to make. When I can, I'll drive 2-3 hours each way to ride a different track and I'll be unloaded, dressed, and ready to ride when motos start (usually 9).

It's understandable that if the track is having a big race the following day that they'd want to shut down a little early and wheel pack it to keep it from turning to soup. Unless the place has lights, they need the daylight to work. To me it's no different to me than a ski resort shutting lifts down early. It's the risk you take when you buy your ticket.
TheCRKid
10/9/2016 3:49pm
Its shame you feel that way and that you didn't get the most for your money and effort
I was there yesterday and its was drizzling steady around 2pm
We were running Pit bike on the mini track after practice and I heard they were cutting practice short but they did another full set of classes after the announcement
Pagoda MCMX is by no means greedy , everything done at the track is by club member who volunteer there time
If you are just into practicing and ridding the track you may want to give it another shot
Pagoda MC End of Year BASH event
10/29
Big Bike
Pit Bike
Club members and non members invited

10/9/2016 4:57pm
brian878 wrote:
If you want to ride longer, get out of bed in the morning and get there and be ready to ride at 10am. An 80 minute...
If you want to ride longer, get out of bed in the morning and get there and be ready to ride at 10am. An 80 minute drive isn't anything and opening at 10am is easy to make. When I can, I'll drive 2-3 hours each way to ride a different track and I'll be unloaded, dressed, and ready to ride when motos start (usually 9).

It's understandable that if the track is having a big race the following day that they'd want to shut down a little early and wheel pack it to keep it from turning to soup. Unless the place has lights, they need the daylight to work. To me it's no different to me than a ski resort shutting lifts down early. It's the risk you take when you buy your ticket.
I just think if they were thinking of the people they could let people know they might close early. Rocket Raceway is a good example of a facility that lets you know what the track is like and says whether or they are going to have a short day or not. I was running a little late that morning. I normally get there an hour early. I'm mad because there was 2 hours of riding left
Uncle Tony
10/10/2016 6:33am
D34 had a race and open practice at wick this past weekend, we rode till 4 on Saturday and Keith and dowd had the track perfect for Sunday morning, although it rained all day, I would say it was pretty greedy of pagoda to cut it short

The Shop

10/10/2016 6:56am
It sucks you only got 2 rounds, but for the track to get at least 4 full rounds in on a day with such a crappy weather forecast as Saturday had is commendable. Running these races this time of year is challenging because of the much shorter days. Combine that challenge with an ugly forecast, and occasionally compromises need to be made. I hope you came back and raced Sunday, the whole program ran great!
10/10/2016 8:30am
It sounds like you live close enough to join the club. Which is about the best MX experience one could get. Go to some meetings, get sponsored, get in and help. You'll get so much riding in you won't know what to do. Living in Oregon where we have absolutely nothing like pagoda. I would kill to live that close to such an epic organization with so many dedicated passionate people. They have one goal in mind, make pagoda the best MX experience possible. Those guys give a shit! I understand your frustration but places like pagoda are few and far between and they are most certainly not "greedy"
I remember back in the 80's Lenny Fleishman made Pagoda T shirts that read "Shit Happens at Pagoda MC club" Weather happens too. lol
JustMX
10/10/2016 8:37am Edited Date/Time 10/10/2016 8:38am
Uncle Tony wrote:
D34 had a race and open practice at wick this past weekend, we rode till 4 on Saturday and Keith and dowd had the track perfect...
D34 had a race and open practice at wick this past weekend, we rode till 4 on Saturday and Keith and dowd had the track perfect for Sunday morning, although it rained all day, I would say it was pretty greedy of pagoda to cut it short
Comparing rain at a sand track to any other soil type is as perfect example of apples.to oranges as you can get
TheCRKid
10/10/2016 8:54am
It sounds like you live close enough to join the club. Which is about the best MX experience one could get. Go to some meetings, get...
It sounds like you live close enough to join the club. Which is about the best MX experience one could get. Go to some meetings, get sponsored, get in and help. You'll get so much riding in you won't know what to do. Living in Oregon where we have absolutely nothing like pagoda. I would kill to live that close to such an epic organization with so many dedicated passionate people. They have one goal in mind, make pagoda the best MX experience possible. Those guys give a shit! I understand your frustration but places like pagoda are few and far between and they are most certainly not "greedy"
I remember back in the 80's Lenny Fleishman made Pagoda T shirts that read "Shit Happens at Pagoda MC club" Weather happens too. lol
Agreed Pagoda MCMX is an amazing place
Great people , Excellent events
All work is performed by Volunteer Members

Uncle Tony
10/10/2016 9:32am
Uncle Tony wrote:
D34 had a race and open practice at wick this past weekend, we rode till 4 on Saturday and Keith and dowd had the track perfect...
JustMX wrote:
Comparing rain at a sand track to any other soil type is as perfect example of apples.to oranges as you can get
Not comparing it at all, if they could get a national track prepped after 4pm why can't a track like pagoda? If they advertise 10 to 4 then that's when you should ride till, btw drumheller did they refund half of what you paid for practice?
10/10/2016 10:05am Edited Date/Time 10/10/2016 10:11am
Uncle Tony wrote:
Not comparing it at all, if they could get a national track prepped after 4pm why can't a track like pagoda? If they advertise 10 to...
Not comparing it at all, if they could get a national track prepped after 4pm why can't a track like pagoda? If they advertise 10 to 4 then that's when you should ride till, btw drumheller did they refund half of what you paid for practice?
Honestly Uncle Tony I didn't because I'm pretty sure they would've told me to pound sand since I got two 15 minute rides in. I heard a lot of inside stuff at the 2 Stroke Shootout at Sleepy Hollow three weeks ago. These people are held in very high regards as far as motocross in the Northeast goes. Many shady things going on under wraps in all parts of they scene around here. After what I heard and how Saturday was handled, I have a reason to be bitter. Anyway, I was hoping to go up and get at least 4 rides in because I do like the track and it isn't far at all. Pagoda is an absolutely no pit riding track and I heard a promoter say when I was leaving "It's okay for us to pit ride because we're managers". These people were WFO across the parking lot for no reason, with tons of people and kids around. I know most of the guys up there are good people, they just need to weed out the knuckle heads.

EDIT: Don't get my wrong I like the track I just think they need to get some of the idiots out
10/10/2016 2:47pm
Honestly Uncle Tony I didn't because I'm pretty sure they would've told me to pound sand since I got two 15 minute rides in. I heard...
Honestly Uncle Tony I didn't because I'm pretty sure they would've told me to pound sand since I got two 15 minute rides in. I heard a lot of inside stuff at the 2 Stroke Shootout at Sleepy Hollow three weeks ago. These people are held in very high regards as far as motocross in the Northeast goes. Many shady things going on under wraps in all parts of they scene around here. After what I heard and how Saturday was handled, I have a reason to be bitter. Anyway, I was hoping to go up and get at least 4 rides in because I do like the track and it isn't far at all. Pagoda is an absolutely no pit riding track and I heard a promoter say when I was leaving "It's okay for us to pit ride because we're managers". These people were WFO across the parking lot for no reason, with tons of people and kids around. I know most of the guys up there are good people, they just need to weed out the knuckle heads.

EDIT: Don't get my wrong I like the track I just think they need to get some of the idiots out
You need to come to Oregon, You'll be begging for those problems....
KIDNME
10/10/2016 4:50pm
Sorry that you had an un pleasant experience at pagoda. When a pro am racing is being held the following day that takes priority over practice. The track crew are all avid riders and make those calls so the track can be as good as possible.
As far as pit riding goes it is not permitted unless it's the track staff. You know, the guys who spend countless hours working on the track and the facility. VOLUNTEERING their time to host a good event. The same guys who's kids often go to the gate alone and go out on the track with no support all because they want to give everyone a good track and a nice place to come with their family's. Maybe the person who was "WFO through the parking lot" was going to get the parent of an injured kid on the mini track, or to get a pair of boots out of their trailer to let someone use who forgot theirs, grab a part for someone so they could make their next practice or Moto. I can assure you there are no "idiots flying through the parking lot on pit bikes for no reason" Everyone that comes through that gate is treated like family and anyone that is a part of the pagoda crew would bend over backward for anyone that needs help. That same "idiot on a pit bike" just may be the guy that puts himself in harms way so you or your child dosent get injured.
aedwards07
10/10/2016 5:25pm
KIDNME wrote:
Sorry that you had an un pleasant experience at pagoda. When a pro am racing is being held the following day that takes priority over practice...
Sorry that you had an un pleasant experience at pagoda. When a pro am racing is being held the following day that takes priority over practice. The track crew are all avid riders and make those calls so the track can be as good as possible.
As far as pit riding goes it is not permitted unless it's the track staff. You know, the guys who spend countless hours working on the track and the facility. VOLUNTEERING their time to host a good event. The same guys who's kids often go to the gate alone and go out on the track with no support all because they want to give everyone a good track and a nice place to come with their family's. Maybe the person who was "WFO through the parking lot" was going to get the parent of an injured kid on the mini track, or to get a pair of boots out of their trailer to let someone use who forgot theirs, grab a part for someone so they could make their next practice or Moto. I can assure you there are no "idiots flying through the parking lot on pit bikes for no reason" Everyone that comes through that gate is treated like family and anyone that is a part of the pagoda crew would bend over backward for anyone that needs help. That same "idiot on a pit bike" just may be the guy that puts himself in harms way so you or your child dosent get injured.
I couldn't agree better. Everyone there are good people and live Moto.
JohnnyD13
10/10/2016 6:43pm
If you run a track you are not greedy. Out of all the businesses to run, no one runs a track to get rich.
10/10/2016 7:04pm
KIDNME wrote:
Sorry that you had an un pleasant experience at pagoda. When a pro am racing is being held the following day that takes priority over practice...
First off, every single thing you said was an assumption. You brought up things that I didn't even remotely touch on and ran with it. There were people pit riding and flying through the parking lot. These people are friends of the promoters. They weren't doing anything that you assumed.. they were pit riding. Staff members were riding around at a very reasonable speed. I know what I saw and what I heard. There were exceptions made for certain people there. I know that not everyone is perfect, but a rule is a rule. If a Pro Am race is being held the following day wouldn't you think they would want to give the people that aren't camping overnight a heads up that they might cut it short so they don't waste their time. Especially people that are more than 2 hours away. I know that there are people who volunteer their time at Pagoda. People volunteer their time at Happy Ramblers in Hanover also, and that track has never been shut down on a gloomy Saturday when the MDRA championship is the next day. That is a very hard track to maintain so do not mention the size of the track, or the watering system that they have. Did I say that everyone who volunteers was an idiot? No, I never even mentioned the word idiot. I said they need to weed out the certain knuckle heads. I said nothing bad about the good people that volunteer, I said nothing about "idiots flying through the parking lot on pit bikes for no reason". How can you quote something that I never said? I appreciate the work that the volunteers do and I never said a bad thing about them. I never questioned whether people are treated like family or not. If the owners/promoters put all the time and effort into the track how about they take 5 minutes and post the track condition, warn people about incoming weather for the "big" weekend and that they might cut practice/testing day short for a race that has a $5,000 purse.
KIDNME
10/10/2016 8:08pm
I do apologize for misquoting you.
and I can understand your frustration. However its the weather and even the meteorologists get it wrong most of the time. With weather and our events we try to stay the course until we get knocked off if it. And unfortunately that's what happened Saturday when the decision was made to cut practice short. I'm sorry for coming off the way I did but I am a little passionate about pagoda as I dedicate a lot of my time to that place and I think it's one of the best facilities around.
I guess bottom line is. Not everyone will be happy with every decision that has to be made. And there are always ways to improve the way things are done. However I will stand by the fact that the decision that was collectively made Saturday was the right one.
Come out to our end of the season bash October 29th get some riding in and hang out with some of the people that pour their hearts and souls into that place. First beer is on me
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
10/10/2016 8:59pm
Back around 1985 when I was the terrorizing the D6 125-Goon class, I did a whiskey throttle to ghost ride off the front table at Pagoda. Launched my bike straight over the fence into the crowd. True story Bros. Apologies to any spectators that were hurt.
BobPA
10/10/2016 9:12pm
Pagoda is an awesome track

My only gripe is watching the sticky red ass clay off my bike after a day there
10/10/2016 9:26pm
FGR01 wrote:
Back around 1985 when I was the terrorizing the D6 125-Goon class, I did a whiskey throttle to ghost ride off the front table at Pagoda...
Back around 1985 when I was the terrorizing the D6 125-Goon class, I did a whiskey throttle to ghost ride off the front table at Pagoda. Launched my bike straight over the fence into the crowd. True story Bros. Apologies to any spectators that were hurt.
Were you a member back then? I started riding and racing there in '86. Was a member from late '86 through '90. Rode 125 nervous through '87. I was rolling 59t on a Honda .
GIwasB4
10/10/2016 9:29pm
JohnnyD13 wrote:
If you run a track you are not greedy. Out of all the businesses to run, no one runs a track to get rich.
Bullshit. $$ is the name of the game.I spend ten's of thousand's of dollars and endless hours of my own time and even more hours of people that work there to make sure DUMHELLER34 can have an equally quantified time for the amount of time that he/she spends there compared with the equivilent dollar amount they spent to enter and perform on our track to provide us the entertainment factor that we worked so hard to achieve. "AND provide insurance so that dumheller34 can have life saving emc procedures performed when needed and still be able to sue because our negligence enabled him/her to do motorcycle feats that were beyond they're capabilities.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
10/11/2016 5:58am
Were you a member back then? I started riding and racing there in '86. Was a member from late '86 through '90. Rode 125 nervous through...
Were you a member back then? I started riding and racing there in '86. Was a member from late '86 through '90. Rode 125 nervous through '87. I was rolling 59t on a Honda .
Was not a member. Raced there numerous times 85-88. I was #137 on a KX125. My best bud was 22P on a Honda.
10/11/2016 6:07am Edited Date/Time 10/11/2016 7:00am
GIwasB4 wrote:
Bullshit. $$ is the name of the game.I spend ten's of thousand's of dollars and endless hours of my own time and even more hours of...
Bullshit. $$ is the name of the game.I spend ten's of thousand's of dollars and endless hours of my own time and even more hours of people that work there to make sure DUMHELLER34 can have an equally quantified time for the amount of time that he/she spends there compared with the equivilent dollar amount they spent to enter and perform on our track to provide us the entertainment factor that we worked so hard to achieve. "AND provide insurance so that dumheller34 can have life saving emc procedures performed when needed and still be able to sue because our negligence enabled him/her to do motorcycle feats that were beyond they're capabilities.
Why are people so quick to assume everything. I never said anything about the EMTs, the time and money that is put into the place or anything like that. You know nothing about motocross in PA so please stay out of it. After what I heard 3 weeks ago at the 2 Stroke Shootout I know what I'm talking about and have a right to be bitter. I'm not going to tell you how riding is in California so don't tell me how moto is in PA. You don't pay my health insurance so don't talk to me about your track insurance. You chose to open a track not me, you're crying to the wrong person, because I'm not playing the violin.

EDIT: Again you're question my integrity as a human being saying I would sue. Please stop with the assuming dude. It makes you look really ignorant. By the way, you don't know my riding ability so please don't assume unless you know for sure. No one told you to open a track, that was your choice.
10/11/2016 6:39am
KIDNME wrote:
I do apologize for misquoting you. and I can understand your frustration. However its the weather and even the meteorologists get it wrong most of the...
I do apologize for misquoting you.
and I can understand your frustration. However its the weather and even the meteorologists get it wrong most of the time. With weather and our events we try to stay the course until we get knocked off if it. And unfortunately that's what happened Saturday when the decision was made to cut practice short. I'm sorry for coming off the way I did but I am a little passionate about pagoda as I dedicate a lot of my time to that place and I think it's one of the best facilities around.
I guess bottom line is. Not everyone will be happy with every decision that has to be made. And there are always ways to improve the way things are done. However I will stand by the fact that the decision that was collectively made Saturday was the right one.
Come out to our end of the season bash October 29th get some riding in and hang out with some of the people that pour their hearts and souls into that place. First beer is on me
Sounds good man. PM me lol
10/11/2016 7:02am
Were you a member back then? I started riding and racing there in '86. Was a member from late '86 through '90. Rode 125 nervous through...
FGR01 wrote:
Was not a member. Raced there numerous times 85-88. I was #137 on a KX125. My best bud was 22P on a Honda.
I'll dig through the old pictures and see if I can find ya . My Dad was into photography and he took lots of photos over the years at Pagoda,Sleepy, Hurricane Hills and Raceway Park.

Post a reply to: Pagoda MX Birdsboro PA

The Latest