PREPARING FOR LORETTA LYNN'S

flarider
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 12:53pm
Each year, about this time, I post a few tips from things I have learned and it would be good if a few others with experience in going to LL's pass along their wisdom.

1. START POUNDING WATER. Start increasing your intake of water now, and more than you may already drink. It takes time for the body to store water and you need to start acclimating your body to storing more water and maintaining it.

2. Start acclimating to heat. Stop driving around with the A/C on and running into A/C places. It gets hot and humid as hell at LL's and you better be used to it some.

3. LL's is a BIG PLACE, make arrangements for either a pit bike or a golf cart. MAKE SURE YOU REGISTER IT when you arrive and keep the kids from driving them or risk losing them for the week. Waaaayyy too much mischief with kids and golf carts.

4. While the creek is nice and cool, the rocks are sharp. It's a slate type of rock. Buy some water shoes for everyone.

5. It can be stupid dusty or stupid muddy...there is no in between. Be prepared for both, not only with the bikes but also with your clothing and living arrangements. Have plastic sheeting for the floor of your camper, for example.

6. There are lots of companies there to help you and not all are there to gouge you, but still be as prepared as you can with spares of everything, as much as possible.

7. Keep your rider relaxed, but also focused. It's a delicate balance. You want your rider to have fun and not spend the week stressed out, but at the same time you need to have him or her remember you're there for a purpose.

8. Keep fuels sealed and out of the sun and/or heat. It breaks it down. Keep it all in a cool place out of the sun and maybe covered with a towel or sheet.

9. While it's rare, sabotage (or mischief) can happen. Store your bikes, fluids, materials, etc...appropriately

10. Don't leave your cooler of beer out all night, it then becomes the kid's beer. Secure your beer and liquor every night.

11. No matter what, keep calm. The parents who freak out don't get better treatment and the Coombs' as well as Tim Cotter have seen and heard it all before, remain calm and you'll get help or results. Also, the OEM's and sponsors are there and see or know about everything.

12. If you like your sponsors, makes sure you stop by and say hello. Don't ask for anything (you can do that later), just a handshake and hello goes a long way for future sponsorship. Also stop by throughout the week to let them know how your week is going. Same goes for sponsors you may want to pick up.

13. The schedule will list the motos by a start time, THESE ARE FIRM AND WILL BE YOUR START TIME...don't blow it. They're only changed or late in EXTREME CIRCUMSTANCES...they stay on schedule, almost to the minute

14. Lastly, sponsors and podium speeches..."And anyone else I forgot" doesn't mean shit. List your sponsors on an index card and put it under the bar pad cover...maybe even laminate it. Yes, we do listen to hear our company from our sponsored riders. It means a lot to your sponsors and LL's is the biggest audience to hear it in amateur mx.

If anyone else has stuff to share, please do....lot of experience on here.
|
DL
7/10/2009 4:19pm
Great advice, thanks.
flarider
7/10/2009 4:24pm
DL wrote:
Great advice, thanks.
You know all that.
What do you have to add, Don?

flarider
7/10/2009 4:25pm
KMC440 wrote:
#10.... really?? hmmmmm....
Matter of fact, you should secure it at all times

The Shop

flarider
7/10/2009 4:40pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 12:51am
The motels closest to the ranch are few and usually expensive for the quality (think 1-2 star for 3-4 star pricing) and your biggest problem is food, as there are few places to eat so they're packed (DO NOT EAT AT LORETTA LYNN'S KITCHEN NEAR I-40)

Getting a reservation would be tough if not impossible at those hotels

Next up is what I do, which is stay in Dickson, about 30 minutes east of the exit the ranch is on...about a 40-45 min drive each way daily.

Far more hotels and far more food choices that aren't packed.

The hotels are a bit less as well.

I have done both and much prefer Dickson, I can deal with the drive, no biggie.

So calculate your fuel cost to drag a camper and all the other stuff vs getting a hotel and the amenities that come with it.

There is a Wal-Mart in the town of Waverly, the closest town to the track, about 6-7 miles north. There are also other small stores and even l laundry-mart.

There is also a Wal-mart in Dickson

At the exit (exit 143) for the LL's ranch there is a Pilot truck stop (and a couple other small gas stations) for you to fuel up your camper on gas or diesel.

There is a General Store on Stagecoach Hill (by the entrance) on the ranch property for basic needs and you can also get ice there
LIVEWIRE
7/10/2009 4:58pm
Thanks, this is the kind of posts I come here for. Info, videos, news, moto history, moto drama, hearing what guys have to say who work in the industry, moto experienced helping the un experienced.

Driving 1900 miles, I want to make this experience the best I can for my son.

When my son qualified out of Glen Helen it brought tears to my eyes, we did not expect to make the cut, and he put zero pressure on himself.

My son is not even close to being the next RC or JS, but this sport has kept my son in line, and has built a bond that I am proud to have with my only child.

Even though we are running in the "C" class, I am glad he made it for the opportunity to be a part of this event; the cost is irrelevant to seeing my son happy. Seeing your children happy is priceless.

I can’t wait for the top A and B class riders to get it on!

God bless motocross

Dave Politte
Corona CA
flarider
7/10/2009 5:10pm
LIVEWIRE wrote:
Thanks, this is the kind of posts I come here for. Info, videos, news, moto history, moto drama, hearing what guys have to say who work...
Thanks, this is the kind of posts I come here for. Info, videos, news, moto history, moto drama, hearing what guys have to say who work in the industry, moto experienced helping the un experienced.

When my son qualified out of Glen Helen it brought tears to my eyes, we did not expect to make the cut, and he put zero pressure on himself.

My son is not even close to being the next RC or JS, but this sport has kept my son in line, and has built a bond that I am proud to have with my only child.

Even though we are running in the "C" class, I am glad he made it for the opportunity to be a part of this event; the cost is irrelevant to seeing my son happy. Seeing your children happy is priceless.

God bless motocross

Dave Politte
Corona CA
Get your son off that hard pack and find some soft dirt to train on. LL's is a loamy dirt and some westers who are hard pack guys struggle a little. They add sawdust to it as well at times to get it to hold moisture and that gives it a spongy feel. Probably be better training in sand than hardpack in my opinion.
LIVEWIRE
7/10/2009 5:23pm Edited Date/Time 7/10/2009 5:24pm
LIVEWIRE wrote:
Thanks, this is the kind of posts I come here for. Info, videos, news, moto history, moto drama, hearing what guys have to say who work...

God bless motocross

Dave Politte
Corona CA
flarider wrote:
Get your son off that hard pack and find some soft dirt to train on. LL's is a loamy dirt and some westers who are hard...
Get your son off that hard pack and find some soft dirt to train on. LL's is a loamy dirt and some westers who are hard pack guys struggle a little. They add sawdust to it as well at times to get it to hold moisture and that gives it a spongy feel. Probably be better training in sand than hardpack in my opinion.
Thanks Flarider, kind of hard to do out here, but I will take that advice and do the best I can.
flarider
7/10/2009 5:31pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 12:51am
CELLULAR PHONE RECEPTION

LL's is kind of in a valley, cellular reception is sketchy to non-existent.
AT&T typically performs best there for some reason
You can also sometimes get cellular reception up near stagecoach hill (the highest points on the property), but trackside or in the camping area (unless on stagecoach), forget it.
klein8
7/10/2009 5:36pm
racers who arrive late usually have to pit in the back by the old horse barns, while pitting ,look for high ground " any " low ground becomes swamp back there, and also lock everything up, I had a pit bike stolen last year and you can't expect them to lock the place down just you! That was my only bad experience at LL in 8 years. Good luck to everyone !
teggers
7/10/2009 6:02pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 12:51am
$$$$ Practice starting in big long deep ruts. The gate is not prepped in front for the whole week. By the end of the week, it is about 15 feet long and about 8 inches deep. If it rains, it will be waaaaay worser. Think 50' long.

The start at LL's is the most amount of passing most riders will do. It is easy positions that take very little energy.... In my opinion, the most important 10 seconds of the race. By the 3rd turn the leaders will have 30 seconds on 20th place. That's a lot of time to make up. Make as much time up on the first lap - if at all possible. It's insane, but do it fast.

On the flip side, pushing the limit and wadding in the first turn does no one any good either. Pay attention. Especially the VET riders. For some strange reason, their dicks get real big at LL's and some of the most massive crashes are the VETs.

$$$$$$ If you finish top 10, you will have to stop at impound for approx 10 minutes. It is INSANELY hot (under the tents) after running 26 minutes. Be ready to have your crew pour some water on your head to cool down your brain. It helps if you have someone there to keep track of the stuff you strip off as well.

$$$$$$ The last 2 laps, a rider can make up a ton of positions. In the VET classes, I have made up 6 spots on the last lap....easy pickins at the 20 minute mark for those in great shape. I have also given up a few positions on the last lap as well! DOH!

$$$$$ LL's track is the wierdest kind of - un rhythmee type of track alive. It does not flow like your local track. If you can do 26 minutes at your local track, you'll do 12 minutes at the Ranch and be sucking wind and wishing for it to end. Be ready for it. Don't practice the "easy" lines when you train. Always run the rutted turns - never bowl turns - there are none of them at LL's. Always train when your track is insanely rough - and at 1 PM when the sun is hottest. For me, the 10 commandments was the toughest part. By the end of the week, it will be run down pretty easy, but still it takes some strength to get through clean and quick. Most VETS go about 10 MPH though them, but it takes the most energy of any obstacle on the track.

$$$$$$ The beer tent only has draft beer. (((shhhhhshshhh))))Bring your beer coolers and your own brand (of whatever) and park in the parking lot outside the tent. The beers sold at the tent tend to get warm quickly. Hundreds last year in that lot....everyone shows up to bench race! Some of your best memories will be in at the tent - even non drinkers.

$$$$$ No matter how bad you do - or think you did, you are still in elite company because you are racing at LL's. It's a pretty good feeling pulling out on your first lap of practice knowing you're in the show. Enjoy every minute - you may not make it back. Good Luck.
7/10/2009 6:36pm
AWESOME posts!!!!Hopefully you have them next year cause were gonna kill it!(always stay positive right) don't really like fagriders posts but this one is good. Just tried engine ice and its really not bad stuff!!
flarider
7/10/2009 6:40pm
minidad160 wrote:
AWESOME posts!!!!Hopefully you have them next year cause were gonna kill it!(always stay positive right) don't really like fagriders posts but this one is good. Just...
AWESOME posts!!!!Hopefully you have them next year cause were gonna kill it!(always stay positive right) don't really like fagriders posts but this one is good. Just tried engine ice and its really not bad stuff!!
Thanks?

flarider
7/10/2009 7:39pm
Oh yeah, Loretta Lynn's Kitchen was a one time mistake and seems I am not alone
MXTRAINER1
7/10/2009 8:19pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 12:51am
Great post Dave. Excellent advice.
I would like to add a couple of things.
1. The heat acclimation is one of the most important things you can do. I have my athletes cycling from 12 to 3 in the middle of the day here in Ca. Also, using a stationary bike in a sauna will help with the humidity. Use it if you have the chance.
Note: make sure to stay hydrated during your training program. Use water and an electrolyte supplement.
2. As Dave said, never use air conditioning in your truck and only have your house cool enough to sleep. A fan is much better than air conditioning.
3. I have special dirt brought in for starts prior to going back east. You want to practice starts as much as possible with a tacky dirt. If you race the mod class you can use the hole shot device, but in the stock class you will have to get used to the front end kicking up.
4. Dave is correct on the dirt and tracks. Hard pack will not cut it, you must get on a track with loose dirt to use the cushion. Over watering will help with your ability to deal with the mud in case of rain. Last year it poured and many riders had trouble.
5. For the parents: PLEASE, do not make this race the end of a riders career. Placing too much pressure on your rider will only make him tense and not able to ride to his potential. If you have prepared properly, your athlete is in shape and is a solid rider just
LET HIM DO HIS JOB. The best thing you can do is encourage him and allow him to stand on his own two feet.
Have fun and allow the process to work.
Alan Gerkey
flarider
7/10/2009 8:25pm
For anyone not used to humidity, it's like breathing glue...it's like really thick air
I'm from Florida, it doesn't bother me.
People from dry areas say it's like breathing glue or breathing through a straw.

It can get very humid at LL's

and can get STUPID HOT

Muezh
7/10/2009 8:54pm
hands down, best posts I've seen on any mx forums in a long time. thanks.

Jeff
teggers
7/11/2009 1:14am Edited Date/Time 7/11/2009 2:20am
flarider wrote:
I have eaten late night (9 PM) spaghetti there many times and it was awesome. AAAAA Really, good food. They go out of their way to make some good food for you/me. Good people. You might get food around 10, but you will have to beg. I have done this many times....just been busy working and forgot to eat - they really were nice.
JR51
7/11/2009 1:22am
Draw pin 1 and line up on the very inside gate. Pin it, grab the holeshot and let 19-20 guys pass you, instead of trying to pass 4-5 to get 33rd.

That worked really well for me.
flarider
7/11/2009 5:05am
flarider wrote:
teggers wrote:
I have eaten late night (9 PM) spaghetti there many times and it was awesome. AAAAA Really, good food. They go out of their way to...
I have eaten late night (9 PM) spaghetti there many times and it was awesome. AAAAA Really, good food. They go out of their way to make some good food for you/me. Good people. You might get food around 10, but you will have to beg. I have done this many times....just been busy working and forgot to eat - they really were nice.
We're talking about the restaurant by the McDonald's, over at I-40, not the place on the ranch
TomZ
Fantasy
4402nd
7/11/2009 5:28am
flarider wrote:
teggers wrote:
I have eaten late night (9 PM) spaghetti there many times and it was awesome. AAAAA Really, good food. They go out of their way to...
flarider wrote:
We're talking about the restaurant by the McDonald's, over at I-40, not the place on the ranch
Just a couple things to add to a great post.

Make friends.........some fantastics friendships have been started at L.L.

Take time to enjoy the whole vibe. Don't get too wrapped into the focus on winning.

Log Cabin Restaurant.......good eats.

This really is the best family moto-vacation anywhere.
flarider
7/11/2009 5:37am
MAKE SURE YOU ATTEND THE

Engine Ice/ProClean1000 KFC Chickenfest
Thursday, August 6th
During the scheduled racing lunch break (about noon)
at the Engine Ice/ProClean1000 Hospitality area
located next to the pool on the main road

This and the Engine Ice hospitality area in general also serves as the official VitalMX Meet/Greet and hangout place during the week.

Plenty of shade, chairs, beverages and bullshit to go around
Dean
7/11/2009 7:19am
minidad160 wrote:
AWESOME posts!!!!Hopefully you have them next year cause were gonna kill it!(always stay positive right) don't really like fagriders posts but this one is good. Just...
lmao- another asshole "minidadsomethingorother"

what is it with that screenname?
lumpy790
7/11/2009 9:38am
Great posts and advise.

I used old tennis for creek wading.....and bring 5 or 6 cheap walmart pool rafts. Go cheap because you will puncture them and bring a flat repair kit! Its good relaxing fun and you can float all the way down to lorettas house before the dam.....and catch a ride back.

As far as the start most hole shots there come from the middle to outside and never letting off ....... but you need to have the guts to leave it WFO! The inside has to brake for the 1st turn while the outside swoops past. I have a crooked finger that was broken from a inside 1st turn crash there.

Try to ride with your mouth shut! They disc the track really deep with saw dust. My 1st moto there I got a big chunk caught in my throat.....try riding seeing stars from no being able to breath...till I threw up in my helmet.

Be ready for at least 1 moto in the rain......it seems to always rain. Somehow the schedule always has your class with 1 moto being run in the morning, 1 moto in the afternoon and 1 moto in the late afternoon.

No matter what your finish there.....be proud of it .....you are one of the top 42 riders in your class in the USA! I have 2 23rd overalls with a broken finger from there and am proud of the accomplishment.

It seems people either good luck or bad luck at LL's.....no in between. If it starts out bad YOU can turn it around and make it better with determination. Each class has 3 motos and you will be amazed at the different results in the top 10. KEEP TRYING!
Cygnus
7/11/2009 9:43am
Bring fans . They help alot with the temps day and night.
flarider
7/11/2009 9:51am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 12:51am
C Class

C class is typically the most inconsistent, so if you have a bad 1st or 2nd moto, ALL IS NOT LOST!

Keep positive and race just one moto at a time.

Of course that applies to every class, but the C classes are the most inconsistent

OH, and since teggers didn't mention it, I will, if you're particularly tall, WATCH YOUR HEAD when pulling into the gate. teggers has practically knocked himself out on the line a couple times when pulling in. It has a wood over-hang roof for shade and it's not hard to hit your head.

mxer146
7/11/2009 12:24pm
Thanks everyone for your input. This will be my first trip to the ranch (I'm wrenching, not riding). Anyone have any special tips on bike prep?
croom mx
7/11/2009 4:35pm
Yes Florida rider has some good tips. Also I say to ride your bicyle about 14 miles a day and to do weight training at the gym. How about some old school tips like finger pushups? 50 would be good!
Short 43
7/11/2009 5:21pm
mxer146 wrote:
Thanks everyone for your input. This will be my first trip to the ranch (I'm wrenching, not riding). Anyone have any special tips on bike prep?
Suspension, Suspension, Suspension. Make sure it is perfect for you. You will be glad.

Post a reply to: PREPARING FOR LORETTA LYNN'S

The Latest