PEDs... Victor Conte.... FASCINATING STUFF

Edited Date/Time 11/14/2012 8:55pm
Victor Conte was on Joe Rogan's podcast the other day. Absolutely fascinating stuff.

If you like the "sport behind the sports" you will really enjoy listening to this. Regardless of what your stance is on Lance, PEDs in MX, or the stick and ball sports, this podcast is incredibly insightful and enlightening to a sports fan. (the interview starts about 5-6 minutes in).

Or download this podcast and listen to it in the car. Its a 3 hour episode so it will take some time to get thru. But you will be hard pressed to stop listening.

http://blog.joerogan.net/podcast-2 .

It's podcast episode #277
|
Nighttrain
10/27/2012 6:59pm
Pffftf, nothing new unless you're an ostrich. If wins = $, then doping occurs.
10/27/2012 11:53pm
I dont think the fact that PED use is new. But I do find the science behind it fascinating. And the way Victor Conte breaks down his introduction into the business and how it grew and the different athletes he worked with was quite interesting. Especially when talking about his motives and whatnot.
Big
10/28/2012 9:37am
Wow! Thanks Jabroni. Don't know what to say really? Scares the shit out of me and i thought i heard a lot of it in the 80s.Dizzy Fact is that peds helps you in every sport and even at silicon valley..........Thats why i never lapped anyone anywhere?Whistling

The Shop

kyle450rider
10/28/2012 11:21am
That guy keeps popping his head in MMA trying to get his company involved with the testing side of things. Not sure if I'm a fan of him or his company.
10/28/2012 11:35am
That guy keeps popping his head in MMA trying to get his company involved with the testing side of things. Not sure if I'm a fan...
That guy keeps popping his head in MMA trying to get his company involved with the testing side of things. Not sure if I'm a fan of him or his company.
Why wouldnt you want the guy involved?

Best way to catch the cheaters is to hire the cheaters to catch them.
10/28/2012 11:38am
That guy keeps popping his head in MMA trying to get his company involved with the testing side of things. Not sure if I'm a fan...

Exactly.
10/28/2012 11:39am
Big wrote:
Wow! Thanks Jabroni. Don't know what to say really? Scares the shit out of me and i thought i heard a lot of it in the...
Wow! Thanks Jabroni. Don't know what to say really? Scares the shit out of me and i thought i heard a lot of it in the 80s.Dizzy Fact is that peds helps you in every sport and even at silicon valley..........Thats why i never lapped anyone anywhere?Whistling
Whats funny to me, is that most people wont take the time to educate themselves on the subject, but they will have no problem weighing in on the next 25 page PED in MX thread.

That Joe Rogan podcast is about the most intelligent discussion of the matter Ive seen published.

Bill Simmons of ESPN had Malcolm Gladwell, author of the GREAT "Outliers" and "The Tipping Point", on his podcast the other day and he had some equally intelligent dialogue on the whole Lance Armstrong topic.

It just seems intelligent discussion of matters like this are not popular. Education is like kryptonite for idiots. People would rather shoot from the hip and have meltdowns due to ill informed knee jerk reactions.
10/28/2012 11:40am Edited Date/Time 10/28/2012 11:40am
TripleFive wrote:
I'm a big fan of the Joe Rogan Experience Podcast.
Me too. Joe Rogan's take on stuff is about as level headed as it gets.

And I wouldnt doubt that its more informative and educational than our current public school system on a day by day basis.
Sunhouse
10/28/2012 12:17pm
Big wrote:
Wow! Thanks Jabroni. Don't know what to say really? Scares the shit out of me and i thought i heard a lot of it in the...
Whats funny to me, is that most people wont take the time to educate themselves on the subject, but they will have no problem weighing in...
Whats funny to me, is that most people wont take the time to educate themselves on the subject, but they will have no problem weighing in on the next 25 page PED in MX thread.

That Joe Rogan podcast is about the most intelligent discussion of the matter Ive seen published.

Bill Simmons of ESPN had Malcolm Gladwell, author of the GREAT "Outliers" and "The Tipping Point", on his podcast the other day and he had some equally intelligent dialogue on the whole Lance Armstrong topic.

It just seems intelligent discussion of matters like this are not popular. Education is like kryptonite for idiots. People would rather shoot from the hip and have meltdowns due to ill informed knee jerk reactions.
x2!
BTW, were they talking about Patrick Arnold when they said the "...PH guru supplied baseball players with andro"?
10/28/2012 12:37pm

TripleFive wrote:
Exactly.
The reasons Victor Conte would never get hired is because he knows to much, and there's a lot to expose.

He was saying some pretty hard core stuff about the Olympics and WADA and whatnot. Stuff about how easy it is to skip tests, how piss poor the MLBs testing is, etc.

I know for a fact that Dana White actually does care about keeping UFC clean. He tries his best. But unless you got a guy as qualified as Conte working for you its going to be that much harder to stay ahead of the curve.
BR_HERO
10/28/2012 1:25pm
The Bob Sapp story was interesting.

Up to 375lbs with a six pack. Jesus.......How much did he take of that gallon? lol

sharkey
10/28/2012 1:35pm
pretty good interview and it did keep you listening, i thought there was no way i could listen to something that long
kev472
10/28/2012 1:55pm Edited Date/Time 10/28/2012 2:05pm
Nobody ever see the documentary " the dirtiest race in history"

It's about the 100 meter sprint at the 1988 olympics and the use of ped's

Pretty fascinating stuff

I think the documentary is officially called "9.79*" by espn
-eagle-
10/28/2012 2:14pm
Slippery slope:
According to CNN last week; there are no winners in the Tour From 98-05.
Imagine the ramifications of that in a little niche sport like this.

Great podcast. Most of the JRE's are. I never doubted it; but the magnitude of it is insane.
The Womens, Sprinters from Russia in the 70's section cracked me up.
10/28/2012 2:29pm
It's obvious to me that we are past due for a paradigm shift; the way we are attacking this problem is a complete failure and progress is obviously not being made.
kyle450rider
10/28/2012 5:08pm
Well how would hiring him to test make any sense. As he claims he supply's supplements to some of the fighters.
10/28/2012 5:57pm Edited Date/Time 10/28/2012 5:58pm
Well how would hiring him to test make any sense. As he claims he supply's supplements to some of the fighters.
Maybe as a consultant. He's clean now and has a heavy prison sentence staring him in the face if he gets caught cheating again. He knows how to cheat and now has an interest in catching those that do.
MotoGUY
10/28/2012 7:51pm
Just listened to the whole interview. Remarkable stuff its crazy how easy it seems to cheat and seemed to me like the olympics were the easiest to cheat in. Im not sure how the testing is for the AMA but if they dont test during off season. Seems like someone coming off injury could get back to tip top shape quickly then get off before season and drug testing occurs.
chillrich
10/28/2012 8:00pm
Pretty funny, Dave Asprey was on the day before and was talking about his grass fed, yak meat, Himalayan salt diet with a special supplement. Dude was going 300 mph and sleeping 4 hrs a night. Victor confirmed his supplement of choice was one of his first steroid/speed concoctions. Modafinil???

Rogan is a real good listen.
Highflier
10/28/2012 8:05pm
TripleFive wrote:
Me too. Joe Rogan's take on stuff is about as level headed as it gets. And I wouldnt doubt that its more informative and educational than...
Me too. Joe Rogan's take on stuff is about as level headed as it gets.

And I wouldnt doubt that its more informative and educational than our current public school system on a day by day basis.
Holy crap!
Joe Rogan, level headed????
Wow, you must not have heard him go off the rails on conspiricy rants, etc???.
He makes Jesse Venture sound tame.

I like Joe for entertainment, but level headed he is not.

Victor Conte is trying to make a buck, don't blame him.

I have the podcast but haven't listened to it yet.
Will check it out this week.
10/28/2012 8:42pm
TripleFive wrote:
It's obvious to me that we are past due for a paradigm shift; the way we are attacking this problem is a complete failure and progress...
It's obvious to me that we are past due for a paradigm shift; the way we are attacking this problem is a complete failure and progress is obviously not being made.
Especially considering that the nature of most training and sports is more dangerous than the drugs themselves.

If found it very interesting that when the athletes started working with Conte, he actually had them taking less of the drugs and in much safer doses.
10/28/2012 8:48pm
MotoGUY wrote:
Just listened to the whole interview. Remarkable stuff its crazy how easy it seems to cheat and seemed to me like the olympics were the easiest...
Just listened to the whole interview. Remarkable stuff its crazy how easy it seems to cheat and seemed to me like the olympics were the easiest to cheat in. Im not sure how the testing is for the AMA but if they dont test during off season. Seems like someone coming off injury could get back to tip top shape quickly then get off before season and drug testing occurs.
You think any real credible testing goes on in-season? Ha!
10/28/2012 8:49pm
chillrich wrote:
Pretty funny, Dave Asprey was on the day before and was talking about his grass fed, yak meat, Himalayan salt diet with a special supplement. Dude...
Pretty funny, Dave Asprey was on the day before and was talking about his grass fed, yak meat, Himalayan salt diet with a special supplement. Dude was going 300 mph and sleeping 4 hrs a night. Victor confirmed his supplement of choice was one of his first steroid/speed concoctions. Modafinil???

Rogan is a real good listen.
That is funny.
10/29/2012 3:08pm
Highflier wrote:
Holy crap! Joe Rogan, level headed???? Wow, you must not have heard him go off the rails on conspiricy rants, etc???. He makes Jesse Venture sound...
Holy crap!
Joe Rogan, level headed????
Wow, you must not have heard him go off the rails on conspiricy rants, etc???.
He makes Jesse Venture sound tame.

I like Joe for entertainment, but level headed he is not.

Victor Conte is trying to make a buck, don't blame him.

I have the podcast but haven't listened to it yet.
Will check it out this week.
Would I be correct in assuming that you're an establishment Republican?
Big
10/30/2012 2:37am
And in AMA MX scene there is no testing at all. Not much in certain parts of Europe either. But it's all about the money as in all high level sports. It's wide open. In Sweden you got tested from 14 years old randomly in all kind of sports. If you are a toplevel skier for example you have to call test-center and tell where you are EVERY day. I heard they got tested every month nearly. If you live in CA you call your pharmacy buddy? Now you guys understand why i don't trust riders that laps nearly everyone in a hot day and some even dies same day. Tomac seems to be the only top podium guy to have normal heat issues, and i belive his father keeps him away from stuff he knows end up in tears. They also don't need the money to survive? I'm not pointing fingers too anyone specific but something has to be done i guess?
willie838
10/30/2012 4:32am
TripleFive wrote:
qft

i'm like 6 episodes behind right now though Sad
10/30/2012 6:43am Edited Date/Time 10/30/2012 6:47am
How can we expect the governing bodies of MX to competently test for PED's, look how they screwed up testing for lead in fuel....
ImTheDude
10/30/2012 6:53am
Joe Rogan has an awesome show, watch it. I find it hard to believe that there are any top level athletes that aren't juicing.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
10/30/2012 7:08am
That podcast WAS fascinating, thanks for sharing that.

Post a reply to: PEDs... Victor Conte.... FASCINATING STUFF

The Latest