Overcoming arm pump?

Edited Date/Time 4/13/2014 6:02pm
I just got back from my 2nd ride of the season with rather frustrating results. Arm pump has suddenly become a major problem for me. Last season I rarely had problems with arm pump, and now it becomes a problem 2 laps into practice. The only reason I could think of this happening is this armor I am wearing, its the only armor I have at the moment and it feels like I'm tied and bubble wrapped to a rocking chair when I ride with it. Its a full upper body and full mesh and its really tight, I was thinking maybe that it was cutting blood flow off to my arms. I did everything by the book for preventing arm pump, all winter and currently I've been doing a strict cardio program, I stretched and warmed up when I woke up and before I got on the bike, I tried to drink plenty of fluids, and I did my best to grip the bike with my legs. Is my armor the culprit? Do you guys have any anecdotal advice to fixing arm pump?
|
cd0583
4/12/2014 2:24pm
What works for me is cutting out caffeine before and during a ride, warming up properly, and most importantly, riding. I went through a serious arm pump crisis and came to the conclusion it was because I wasn't riding enough. I stepped it up to riding 3 times a week and arm pump is no longer a factor for me. If you cant ride that much I'd step up the cardio a little bit! Good luck, and stay positive!
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
4002nd
4/12/2014 2:30pm
I just got back from my 2nd ride of the season with rather frustrating results. Arm pump has suddenly become a major problem for me. Last...
I just got back from my 2nd ride of the season with rather frustrating results. Arm pump has suddenly become a major problem for me. Last season I rarely had problems with arm pump, and now it becomes a problem 2 laps into practice. The only reason I could think of this happening is this armor I am wearing, its the only armor I have at the moment and it feels like I'm tied and bubble wrapped to a rocking chair when I ride with it. Its a full upper body and full mesh and its really tight, I was thinking maybe that it was cutting blood flow off to my arms. I did everything by the book for preventing arm pump, all winter and currently I've been doing a strict cardio program, I stretched and warmed up when I woke up and before I got on the bike, I tried to drink plenty of fluids, and I did my best to grip the bike with my legs. Is my armor the culprit? Do you guys have any anecdotal advice to fixing arm pump?
So you didn't get to ride all winter? I workout alot, always have. 4-5x a week, on a strict diet, etc. There were a couple times this winter I didn't get to ride because of rain, snow, to cold, work etc, so when I would finally ride after a month off or so, my arms would pump up if I was at the track or riding w/ a group of fast guys that like to keep the pace at 100 from the start. After a few weekends of riding in a row though, I'd get back into "ride" shape & be fine. I really don't think theres any supplement to seat time. All the working out & training will only do so much, or for me at least. Try riding without the armor, see what happens, but I bet if you just ride loose & give it a few weekends of riding in a row, you'll be back to normal. Get the confidence back that you can go out & click off laps without getting pumped, you'll be fine.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
4/12/2014 3:41pm
If your gear is a "compression" style of gear (like compression shorts are for your legs), and if the gear is squeezing your forearms, then yes your gears is very likely causing you some arm pump. I once tried to ride some in the desert after I crashed and jacked up my forearm and had to get a bunch of stitches. So I had to wear some stupid elbow pads so I didn't crash and tear it up again. The elbow pads were a compression style armor that squeezed my elbows and didn't slide down my arms. My arms would pump up in about 10 minutes of riding - and I never ever get arm pump in the desert. I only get arm pump at the track because I get all chicken shit going over big jumps and I over grip the grips. But in the desert this never happens to me - but it happened with the compression elbow pads. As I was shifting, using the clutch and twisting the throttle, I was working my forearms pretty hard and the compression was squeezing my forearms making them work harder. I took them off, never had arm pump after that. If your gear isn't compressing your arms, then it's not your gear. You just need seat time IMHO.

One exercise I do to help my hands and arms is, I do fingertip pushups. You want strong hands and forearms, do a 100 fingertip pushups a day. It will also help you if you ever want to do competitive arm wrestling, (I won two university-wide arm wrestling championships in college LOL). It sounds like the rest of the stuff you have figured out.
Camp332
4/12/2014 4:53pm
Ride dude.

First few rides back are always arm pump rides. Then after several consecutive weeks of riding in a row arm pump is gone.

The Shop

Glory
4/12/2014 5:13pm
You have your answer in your first sentence. What ^ said, Just keep on riding
4/12/2014 5:51pm
Be glad it's the first time, i suffer from "arm-pump and can't hold on to the bars after 3 laps" since i started.
level
4/12/2014 6:24pm
Arm pump is the most frustrating thing of riding for me. I am fast for a lap and then it sets in. When I was training, running and riding 3 or 4 times a week I still could only go about 3 laps before it set in. It's the most frustrating thing to know you can ride fast but arm pump won't let you.
hoova
4/12/2014 7:07pm Edited Date/Time 4/12/2014 7:09pm
It's tight gear I've had the same problem. It's not cut the flow Off to your arms it's restricting the flow out and It sucks balls
RMRider1
4/12/2014 7:45pm Edited Date/Time 4/12/2014 7:46pm
Squeeze the bike with knees harder, relax arms when you can on the track. I notice if I get a straight away I use 90% legs to hold on to bike, works for me!
TanHner36
4/12/2014 8:20pm
As everyone else said. Seat time fixes everything. As far as off bike practice. Dicks sporting goods makes something for baseball called a force ball and you roll your wrist as it spins and puts constant pressure on your arms. That thing was so intense but did wonders for arm pump.
4/13/2014 4:21am
1)Stretch well before riding.
2) Once on the track....try taking it REAL easy for the first 3 to 5 laps and then slowly increase opening it up. Then once you even start to notice "pump" back it down and stay out there. once comfortable again, work back up to pace.
Once you blow them up tight it will set in easier and harder each time. You have to condition for it if you have been off for a while.
3)BREATHE! O/2 is very important! If you are locking up your breath to many times a lap you will tire easily and that will force you to grip tighter and arm pump is a sure bet after that!
4)Ever get "leg pump"? ?...Then you are not holding tight enough with them! Take the load off the arms!
5) tight jerseys or the cuff around your wrists are another BIG no no! I make sure mine are VERY loose around the arms! Most of my jerseys have the cuffs cut right off or I jam a big cup in them after washing.
6) Gloves! I think this is a way bigger cause of the problem for most than they realize! Your gloves need to fit perfectly! if they are tight or restricting in any way...you're screwed! when you fully extend your fingers, the "web" between your thumb and pointer finger should not be in any way tight or restricting! In fact their shouldn't even be a "web" between any of your fingers. If there is.....they don't fit right!I have found the thinner the leather on the palm the better (for me)
....Same goes for making a fist....If your gloves in any way restrict or resist you making a fist, the fingers of your gloves are to short! You will feel resistance across the back of your knuckles.....=get bigger gloves!
Another thing I do with new gloves is break them in....wet them down a little and go do yard work or mow lawn or anything like that till they dry out. I rarely wash my gloves because I don't want to have to rebreak them in all the time!
7)Grips on your bike........smaller and softer grips are way better!!! .....any arm pump already makes it feel like you are hanging on to a couple of foot balls so don't make it worse with big hard grips!!

8)between motos.....use a cold compress on your forearms. REALLY.... try this!!
hoova
4/13/2014 5:42am
1)Stretch well before riding. 2) Once on the track....try taking it REAL easy for the first 3 to 5 laps and then slowly increase opening it...
2) Once on the track....try taking it REAL easy for the first 3 to 5 laps and then slowly increase opening it up. Then once you even start to notice "pump" back it down and stay out there. once comfortable again, work back up to pace.
Once you blow them up tight it will set in easier and harder each time. You have to condition for it if you have been off for a while.
3)BREATHE! O/2 is very important! If you are locking up your breath to many times a lap you will tire easily and that will force you to grip tighter and arm pump is a sure bet after that!
4)Ever get "leg pump"? ?...Then you are not holding tight enough with them! Take the load off the arms!
5) tight jerseys or the cuff around your wrists are another BIG no no! I make sure mine are VERY loose around the arms! Most of my jerseys have the cuffs cut right off or I jam a big cup in them after washing.
6) Gloves! I think this is a way bigger cause of the problem for most than they realize! Your gloves need to fit perfectly! if they are tight or restricting in any way...you're screwed! when you fully extend your fingers, the "web" between your thumb and pointer finger should not be in any way tight or restricting! In fact their shouldn't even be a "web" between any of your fingers. If there is.....they don't fit right!I have found the thinner the leather on the palm the better (for me)
....Same goes for making a fist....If your gloves in any way restrict or resist you making a fist, the fingers of your gloves are to short! You will feel resistance across the back of your knuckles.....=get bigger gloves!
Another thing I do with new gloves is break them in....wet them down a little and go do yard work or mow lawn or anything like that till they dry out. I rarely wash my gloves because I don't want to have to rebreak them in all the time!
7)Grips on your bike........smaller and softer grips are way better!!! .....any arm pump already makes it feel like you are hanging on to a couple of foot balls so don't make it worse with big hard grips!!

good advice for anyone
stangbang
4/13/2014 6:41am
Great tips above. I always have to take a mental note to breathe and loosen up my grip with my hands. Use your legs more to grip the bike.
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
4/13/2014 7:15am
Besides the stretching and other great advice, I find that during the first few rides of the season go out and do a few laps and come back in before you get severe arm pump...let everything settle down and then head back out and start running hard. This works for me. ...
level
4/13/2014 7:42am
1)Stretch well before riding. 2) Once on the track....try taking it REAL easy for the first 3 to 5 laps and then slowly increase opening it...

Great post. Totally agree on the staying out there and keep riding once arm pump sets in. It conditions you for it. Others are important as well.

It's crazy that in this sport arm pump is such a problem that most people don't realize except the rider themselves.
level
4/13/2014 7:42am
Brad460 wrote:
Besides the stretching and other great advice, I find that during the first few rides of the season go out and do a few laps and...
Besides the stretching and other great advice, I find that during the first few rides of the season go out and do a few laps and come back in before you get severe arm pump...let everything settle down and then head back out and start running hard. This works for me. ...
Another great post. I used to notice that when I would get arm pump during the 1st moto but not as much the second. Sometimes once it swells up it's hard to bring it back down again.
BUTCH
4/13/2014 7:48am
Cut out the salt in your diet.....
JeepnMike
4/13/2014 9:30am
X3 on the breathing... Your arms are going to pump something fierce if you aren't breathing right. I don't know if I ever breathed racing, I sucked. I don't know why that was always my struggle, but breathing was the reason my arms would pump big time.

I also agree about the compression suit, that definitely will add to the problem. I am a runner and when I have tried tighter compression socks, my feet cramp really bad too.
mark_swart
4/13/2014 11:35am

level wrote:
Great post. Totally agree on the staying out there and keep riding once arm pump sets in. It conditions you for it. Others are important as...
Great post. Totally agree on the staying out there and keep riding once arm pump sets in. It conditions you for it. Others are important as well.

It's crazy that in this sport arm pump is such a problem that most people don't realize except the rider themselves.
This is an excellent post! The only thing I'd add -- if none of that works, look to your suspension. Bad settings/setup will make you pump up quicker!
Ashleymx
4/13/2014 2:30pm
I remember the first time I got arm pump. I was 15 years old and due to some rain on my local track the grip was way better than usual so the bike was hooking up more. I still remember thinking what is this?? I've suffered ever since and now I'm 40. Never had it once before 15. The last 10 or so years I haven't ridden much but from 15 - 30ish I tried everything including surgery (that wasn't extensive enough though) but I never found a solution. Believe me I tried everything! If I was a pro Id have gotten more surgery. It was a little too full on for me though. I also get it in my lower legs when running. I believe its a purely physiological. (Born with it basically, not enough space in the compartment around the muscles). If you have minor issues with it you may benefit from all tips and fixes out there but anything like what I get they wont make much diff. One thing I found though, if I hadn't ridden for a while it was better. The more I rode in succession (like 3 or 5 times a week the worse it got. If I took two months off it was better for the first ride at least. (completely blows the theory about riding more as a fix) Same with running. I can go running maybe 3 days in a row. Once it hits me I'll get it every time until I rest for a month or more. Arm pump caused me so much grief and cost me so much riding, racing and fun! Angry just thinking about it. Luckily MTB riding gives me zero issues. So I do that for fun now lol.
Ashleymx
4/13/2014 2:44pm
My last well set up bike was a 2009 KTM250SXF. I had Pro taper pillow top grips. A step seat, 3M grip on the sides of the bike, KTMs PHDS handlebar damping system, a short pull throttle (because I found I could only get 3/4 throttle once my arms pumped up and not turning it as far helped blood flow I think too, Also KTMs hydraulic clutch is a big help because of its light pull. None of this was a cure though, I cant even say it made any diff lol. . Just after all my years it was my best anti arm pump combo I ever had. I also spent a bit of time getting the suspension how I liked it too.
smoothies862
Fantasy
676th
4/13/2014 3:07pm
never had arm pump. my enemy is hands going numb. fingertips down thru the thumb. im going to try bar inserts next.
4/13/2014 6:02pm
never had arm pump. my enemy is hands going numb. fingertips down thru the thumb. im going to try bar inserts next.
That sounds like a problem with excess bike vibration. Get the crank balanced and keep the motor tight.
I have heard that filling the bars with silicone calk reduces bar vibration. No clue if it actually does work though.

In my previous post I forgot to mention things like bike set up (suspension) or other bike issues possibly being a cause of arm pump or hand numbing. If your bike is prone to bad headshake on small choppy rough stuff then that is not going to help....or if your suspension is to harsh on high speed hits....then I doubt that anything will fix pump up issues until this is taken care of.

Post a reply to: Overcoming arm pump?

The Latest