Outside Industry Sponsors...

ga_pike
4/20/2014 7:14pm Edited Date/Time 4/21/2014 8:44pm
We've got Red Bull KTM, Monster Kawasaki, Geico Honda, Rockstar KTM... you could throw in JGR Yamaha as well. As the sport continues to grow, I think it would be nice to see more outside industry teams form like what you see in Indy Car and the like.

How about Target Honda? Gatorade Kawasaki? Coke Honda? Subway Suzuki (I know they had some sponsorship previously)? Pepsi Racing Husky?

I think this is the next step in continued growth for our sport. It's possible that the energy drink companies become regulated like alcohol and tobacco so who knows when that checkbook dries up. Any other thoughts about growing outside industry sponsorships?
|
John250
4/20/2014 7:29pm
you would think there would already be more outside sponsorship. The motocross demographic is Coke, Pepsi, Gatorade, poweraid, etc.
ga_pike
4/20/2014 7:46pm
John250 wrote:
you would think there would already be more outside sponsorship. The motocross demographic is Coke, Pepsi, Gatorade, poweraid, etc.
Do you think the lack of those companies sponsoring may have anything to do with the factorys requiring the use of their colors for parts, contengency, etc? Pepsi could sponsor a team but might want blue bikes... cue Yamaha. But then they want to run special Mountain Dew colors. So now we need to switch to a green Yamaha?

If this happens to be partly the case, how do we become more like NASCAR? JGR could develop on their own without factory support but other teams don't have that background right now. I guess Mitch Peyton might be able to pull it off as well... he already did it with the Peak Honda team. But in the end, the factorys are going to have to relax the rules with color schemes in order for the sort to grow in this manner or else sponsors will be locked into a specific bike and minimal movement for alternate products (pepsi, mt dew, dr pepper, 7up). And let's not forget that Pepsi owns Taco Bell and KFC... even greater demographic specific marketing opportunity as long as they fit with an OEM willing to work with them on branding and color.
Kmid514
4/20/2014 7:55pm
Good question, now that most stadiums have sponsors of their own is the title sponsor of the round next week Metlife or Monster? Metlife seems to dominate the promos.
SEE ARE125
4/20/2014 7:57pm
I have always thought a laundry detergent sponsor would be perfect. Not sure why they haven't capitalized on this market.

The Shop

Crush
4/20/2014 8:00pm
Bikes have fuck all advertising space, in a sport that isn't as big as we all think it is, shown on TV for not much time... The TV package is getting better for sure but there is always room for improvement.

It'd be great if the gear companies moved their logos away from the main spaces to help the teams too. So many times you see a rider getting interview and you'd think the main sponsor is fox, instead of Red Bull or Shift instead of Sycuan...
Kmid514
4/20/2014 8:07pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
I have always thought a laundry detergent sponsor would be perfect. Not sure why they haven't capitalized on this market.
Surf had a team in the 90's I think.
ga_pike
4/20/2014 8:13pm
Crush wrote:
Bikes have fuck all advertising space, in a sport that isn't as big as we all think it is, shown on TV for not much time...
Bikes have fuck all advertising space, in a sport that isn't as big as we all think it is, shown on TV for not much time... The TV package is getting better for sure but there is always room for improvement.

It'd be great if the gear companies moved their logos away from the main spaces to help the teams too. So many times you see a rider getting interview and you'd think the main sponsor is fox, instead of Red Bull or Shift instead of Sycuan...
That's the point. If we want the big $$$ from outside sponsors, then the industry is going to have to give a little. Do we really need side number plates? They have a front plate and a transponder. Use that space for advertising. Allow freedom of color choices when designing the graphics packages to best benefit the sponsor's marketing. Get the riders into matching team gear that is clean and easy to read... much like Troy Lee has done.

Also, if it is the cola companies, they have yet another avenue they could market.
davistld01
4/20/2014 8:25pm Edited Date/Time 4/20/2014 8:27pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Kmid514 wrote:
Surf had a team in the 90's I think.
Yep. Jeff Glass was sponsored by Surf Detergent in the late 80's. Here's an MXA cover with Glass on the #70 Honda, next to Ronnie Lechien.

hartebreak
Fantasy
246th
4/20/2014 8:27pm Edited Date/Time 4/20/2014 8:28pm
I guess it all depends on whether the team wants factory backing or not. If a company like Pepsi or ATT came in they would have enough money to buy anything they wanted so having factory backing wouldn't matter. Therefore the team could run any color bikes they want. What I think is bullshit is the fact that the series itself has sponsors and they usually trump the team or riders sponsors. It's hilarious to see all that monster garbage all over the place with the monster hoes standing on the podium trying to hold their swag in front of a rider's can of Redbull. This sport seems to feed on itself too much.
hartebreak
Fantasy
246th
4/20/2014 8:44pm
And on top of that, I really think it drags down the prestige of these factory teams running outside team sponsors. As recently as the early 2000s factory riders weren't plastered by all this garbage. MC rode for American Honda. There is not reason that the company who makes the damn bike needs to have some sponsor muddying up the graphics. To me all the factory bikes should look almost plain and basic, not unlike the 1992 factory Hondas.
Allracing
4/20/2014 8:57pm
Let's talk about why big corporations don't sponsor SX/MX. There is approximately 314 million people in the US, and when I looked there are about 6 million motorcycles registered "with license plates"(street bikes) so let's assume dirt bikes are about the same at about 6 million, so that means only about 2% of the US population rides dirt bikes. Now about 75% of the US population drive cars so that is about 235 million people, now not everyone that drives a car watches NASCAR, but I think to a casual TV watcher, they are a lot more likely to stop and watch car racing because they think they can relate a little that. Plus like has been talked about above, those car are moving billboards, motorcycles don't have that, and with such a small specific segment of the population it would be hard for a major corporation to decide to market to such a small segment. Remember Honda-Subway/Coke racing, they hoped if they put that on their bikes they could get money at the end of the season if they could just show them how much advertising they got for free, I think that is one of the teams that JT money never got paid from. We all are passionate about this sport, but I just don't think it will ever be "mainstream" like so many people want.
4/21/2014 4:53am
hartebreak wrote:
I guess it all depends on whether the team wants factory backing or not. If a company like Pepsi or ATT came in they would have...
I guess it all depends on whether the team wants factory backing or not. If a company like Pepsi or ATT came in they would have enough money to buy anything they wanted so having factory backing wouldn't matter. Therefore the team could run any color bikes they want. What I think is bullshit is the fact that the series itself has sponsors and they usually trump the team or riders sponsors. It's hilarious to see all that monster garbage all over the place with the monster hoes standing on the podium trying to hold their swag in front of a rider's can of Redbull. This sport seems to feed on itself too much.
Just because they have endless amounts of money doesn't mean they want to spend it all on parts and equipment. The whole reason a company like Coke would sponsor a team is to get advertising and some kind of a return on their investment. The more money they spend on parts the less potential return they are getting per dollar of investment. The return they get isn't going to change whether they spend $1 million or $10 million.
dmc22tx
4/21/2014 6:06am
Allracing wrote:
Let's talk about why big corporations don't sponsor SX/MX. There is approximately 314 million people in the US, and when I looked there are about 6...
Let's talk about why big corporations don't sponsor SX/MX. There is approximately 314 million people in the US, and when I looked there are about 6 million motorcycles registered "with license plates"(street bikes) so let's assume dirt bikes are about the same at about 6 million, so that means only about 2% of the US population rides dirt bikes. Now about 75% of the US population drive cars so that is about 235 million people, now not everyone that drives a car watches NASCAR, but I think to a casual TV watcher, they are a lot more likely to stop and watch car racing because they think they can relate a little that. Plus like has been talked about above, those car are moving billboards, motorcycles don't have that, and with such a small specific segment of the population it would be hard for a major corporation to decide to market to such a small segment. Remember Honda-Subway/Coke racing, they hoped if they put that on their bikes they could get money at the end of the season if they could just show them how much advertising they got for free, I think that is one of the teams that JT money never got paid from. We all are passionate about this sport, but I just don't think it will ever be "mainstream" like so many people want.
Nailed it... It's all about the numbers and how much more product can be sold via the exposure. Also the television package has a large impact. Which networks are airing and who is watching in large markets?
HenryA
4/21/2014 7:08am Edited Date/Time 4/21/2014 7:10am
More outside sponsors, yeeey!

Sick
Spagina767
4/21/2014 7:28am
The TV broadcasts need to dis. Better job of showcasing riders. I thought before that if they select maybe 15 riders for a 1 minute showcase, sponsors would benefit. It would be a short interview where the rider is next to their bike/ rig and the camera could zoom in on their sponsors and do a 360 of the bike, while the rider is saying who they are, where they are from, thanking their sponsors etc. it would get the sponsors tons more exposure and only take 15 min out of the program - I'm sure we could take something out to fit that in.
gt80rider
4/21/2014 7:42am
First off, is traxxas total gone from sponsoring moto? Anybody know why they pulled out?

Secondly... Bike sales are in the shitter... The sport isn't even growing, it is in decline... Why would an outside sponsor want to be a part of motorcycling when it is dying?
mbw416
4/21/2014 8:10am
Being in marketing, I have learned a lot pertaining to our industry and outside sponsors. The majority of the "outside" sponsors have a foot in the game someway, somehow. What I mean by that is.... they have previously been involved in the sport, have a family member that is involved in the sport, etc. It's the heart string button. Of course, this isn't the case with all of them... but it is most definitely a strong factor in obtaining outside sponsors as well.

Motocross overall is growing. I have been working in a dealership where our dirt bike sales have in fact, INCREASED. Maybe it's location... being in North Texas where we have 28 tracks within two hours of the dealership.... but nonetheless, there are more parents buying bikes for their kids. The main problem is the nurturing of the sport. Moms and young kids are often not the number one people signing up to spend a day at the track. Places like Cycle Ranch MX in Floresville, Texas has caught on to this... and has totally innovated what it means to be at the track. A/C viewing towers for moms with babies, more girls classes to keep moms and daughters are the track, better classes and training for young riders to keep them coming to the races... etc. They are also bringing other events such as MMA, mud runs, concerts, etc to get even more people AT the track... therefore increasing interest in "hey what's that track for." Keeping entire families at the track will also help the target market.... allowing it to grow... therefore increasing interest for outside sponsors.

Bringing in outside sponsors is vital for our sport and the future of our sport. The catch is.... are they really getting a return on their investment?
newmann
4/21/2014 8:52am
Wow, this thread has made it 13 hours so far with no one bashing Slater Skins! Yet someone did point out that dirt bikes have fuck all for advertising space.....

Of course, someone will be along soon to post up a pic of one with super cheesy graphics as that seems to be what most of them have.....
Rdubs19
4/21/2014 12:24pm
Subway and I think Coke sponsored a private team few years ago, around 04 ish. Makita coming on board with Suzuki was a great sponsor, relevant to the sport. If I were a team owner, I'd be seeking out similar deals with deep pocket companies like Craftsman, Stanley, etc. They could cater directly to their customer base at a price which is probably a drop in the bucket for them.
mmain62
4/21/2014 12:29pm
newmann wrote:
Wow, this thread has made it 13 hours so far with no one bashing Slater Skins! Yet someone did point out that dirt bikes have fuck...
Wow, this thread has made it 13 hours so far with no one bashing Slater Skins! Yet someone did point out that dirt bikes have fuck all for advertising space.....

Of course, someone will be along soon to post up a pic of one with super cheesy graphics as that seems to be what most of them have.....
Ugliest bikes in the history of MX. IMO
Grizz
4/21/2014 2:41pm
Ahhhh Newmann you beat me to it! Hahahaha
Crush
4/21/2014 2:47pm
Really tho, its not the skins themselves that are ugly. They're not the best sure, but the designs suck ass, that's the problem with the above.

If they could do something that looked good, and was ok with the 4 stroke heat, it'd be a good idea from a marketing point of view. They don't need to go too low either, the boot area wouldn't be worth it at all...
ga_pike
4/21/2014 2:52pm
Crush wrote:
Really tho, its not the skins themselves that are ugly. They're not the best sure, but the designs suck ass, that's the problem with the above...
Really tho, its not the skins themselves that are ugly. They're not the best sure, but the designs suck ass, that's the problem with the above.

If they could do something that looked good, and was ok with the 4 stroke heat, it'd be a good idea from a marketing point of view. They don't need to go too low either, the boot area wouldn't be worth it at all...
And there has to be a way to do it. Crotch rockets have full flarings and don't seem to have problms... that said, they also have more sponsors in their sport.
racin mason
4/21/2014 3:10pm
If you wanted to be a big money outside sponsor, who would you want to sponsor?All the big boys are taken for the most part.That leaves you with lets say 5th place and back riders/teams, which equals very little TV exposure for your money.More riders need (DESERVE) to be in spotlight.Maybe a format similar to speedway racing could be implemented,4 -8 rider heats ,5 laps.Top it off with a main event.Just a thought, but something needs to be done to get the rest of the guys in the spotlight.
4/21/2014 4:26pm Edited Date/Time 4/21/2014 4:27pm
If we're doing this [below], the next obvious step is putting plastic either over the spokes or inside them...with a gyroscope to keep them upright. Each wheel has almost as much square inchage as the whole side of the bike.

And of course a banner rippling majestically from the rider's back, while not being long enough to catch in the rear wheel.

Does anyone know how Dungey and Target happened? Put Dungey in a suit, send him off to Gatorade. I bet he'd make us proud.
cody331
4/21/2014 8:40pm
If we're doing this [below], the next obvious step is putting plastic either over the spokes or inside them...with a gyroscope to keep them upright. Each...
If we're doing this [below], the next obvious step is putting plastic either over the spokes or inside them...with a gyroscope to keep them upright. Each wheel has almost as much square inchage as the whole side of the bike.

And of course a banner rippling majestically from the rider's back, while not being long enough to catch in the rear wheel.

Does anyone know how Dungey and Target happened? Put Dungey in a suit, send him off to Gatorade. I bet he'd make us proud.
Not entirely sure how Target and Dungey came together, but I'm guessing the fact that they're both from Minnesota helped the cause. Maybe we'll see something bigger from them in the future?
hvaughn88
4/21/2014 8:44pm
cody331 wrote:
Not entirely sure how Target and Dungey came together, but I'm guessing the fact that they're both from Minnesota helped the cause. Maybe we'll see something...
Not entirely sure how Target and Dungey came together, but I'm guessing the fact that they're both from Minnesota helped the cause. Maybe we'll see something bigger from them in the future?
I can't remember exactly how it happened but he told the story on one of the early podcasts he did with matthes (back when he still would haha). I think it had something to do with a connection his mom had but I really don't remember the specifics.

Post a reply to: Outside Industry Sponsors...

The Latest