Outdoors...who is in and who is out?

DFWracefan
Edited Date/Time 5/12/2017 7:42am
Reed and Malcolm sitting out? Guessing Dungey is out? Is Canard back?
|
zehn
5/9/2017 8:46pm
Millsaps out
Rumor is Reed might ride for RMC KTM but I'll believe it when I see it
5/9/2017 9:01pm
You'd think some of these perpetual 12th place heroes would want to race outdoors to maybe increase their worth to their sponsors. The real racing is done outdoors, but too many of the top American riders run away from it like it's the boogeyman. Meanwhile, the mxgp guys continue to wax our fucking assess at mxdn, while our guys claim they're the "best riders in the world" lol. Now the Europeans are getting way better at sx to boot.
5/9/2017 9:31pm
You'd think some of these perpetual 12th place heroes would want to race outdoors to maybe increase their worth to their sponsors. The real racing is...
You'd think some of these perpetual 12th place heroes would want to race outdoors to maybe increase their worth to their sponsors. The real racing is done outdoors, but too many of the top American riders run away from it like it's the boogeyman. Meanwhile, the mxgp guys continue to wax our fucking assess at mxdn, while our guys claim they're the "best riders in the world" lol. Now the Europeans are getting way better at sx to boot.
You would think that, but let's say you live in the dead center of the country, say Oklahoma City. If you left OKC and traveled to all 12 nationals without going back home during the series, you would drive 13,698 miles if you just went from track to track. Realistically, you're probably looking at 20,000+ since the series takes a couple of breaks.

Let's say that you are driving a van that gets 15 mpg. You'll need 1333 gallons of dead dinos. That's about 3K in fuel costs. Add in food and lodging, bike costs, entry fees, repair costs, gear, and other expenses and it's easy to see how a summer of racing could cost you a cool 40K. Easily.

I can't find the exact purse payout, but DC said back in 2013 that a 5-7 paid a rider $1250 in the 450 class. That's probably a 6th overall. So if I extrapolate that out over 12 races that cost me 40K, I'd only be short 25K from breaking even. A 12th place guy doesn't have a chance unless they are on a team picking up their expenses. I'm amazed that so many riders try to follow the entire series.

To compare to NASCAR, the last place finisher at Daytona this year was expected to earn approximately $160,000. Granted we are not NASCAR in terms of popularity, TV contract, or title sponsorship level, but still....

It's truly a sad state for the highest level of our sport.

The Shop

Jrewing
5/9/2017 9:52pm
zehn wrote:
Millsaps out
I just hope Junkyard is in for Southwick.
5/10/2017 4:28am
You'd think some of these perpetual 12th place heroes would want to race outdoors to maybe increase their worth to their sponsors. The real racing is...
You would think that, but let's say you live in the dead center of the country, say Oklahoma City. If you left OKC and traveled to...
You would think that, but let's say you live in the dead center of the country, say Oklahoma City. If you left OKC and traveled to all 12 nationals without going back home during the series, you would drive 13,698 miles if you just went from track to track. Realistically, you're probably looking at 20,000+ since the series takes a couple of breaks.

Let's say that you are driving a van that gets 15 mpg. You'll need 1333 gallons of dead dinos. That's about 3K in fuel costs. Add in food and lodging, bike costs, entry fees, repair costs, gear, and other expenses and it's easy to see how a summer of racing could cost you a cool 40K. Easily.

I can't find the exact purse payout, but DC said back in 2013 that a 5-7 paid a rider $1250 in the 450 class. That's probably a 6th overall. So if I extrapolate that out over 12 races that cost me 40K, I'd only be short 25K from breaking even. A 12th place guy doesn't have a chance unless they are on a team picking up their expenses. I'm amazed that so many riders try to follow the entire series.

To compare to NASCAR, the last place finisher at Daytona this year was expected to earn approximately $160,000. Granted we are not NASCAR in terms of popularity, TV contract, or title sponsorship level, but still....

Wow, when you put it like that it's a wonder the sport makes it from year to year. Such a shame!! The part I don't get is how this sport doesn't take over and dominate the world. It's one of the best sports out there!!
APerry151
5/10/2017 5:45am
Yeah not a fan of SX only with the exception of skipping outdoors to prolong your career (ex: Reed, Millsaps)

Pretty lame as a fan watching Hangtown... "where's _____? oh he's not here. why, injured? nope just doesn't wanna race."
APerry151
5/10/2017 5:46am
Jrewing wrote:
I think he's finally done embarrassing the kids. The Junkyard Pup will be out there though, trying to qualify two years in a row!
tprice07
5/10/2017 9:26am
Roczen
Dungey
Canard
Reed
Millsaps
Brayton
Alessi (Canada)
Seely?
Weimer?

5/10/2017 9:36am
You would think that, but let's say you live in the dead center of the country, say Oklahoma City. If you left OKC and traveled to...

Ok. To be fair, this needs to be pointed out:

The payout for Daytona is higher than the other races. Last place at the other races does not pay that well.

Secondly, most don't realize what it costs to get a car on the track at the highest level in Nascar. Talk about blowing your mind. The cost is staggering.

Compare that to motocross, where Roczen or Tomac could probably go top ten or better on a bone stock dirt bike.
IWreckALot
5/10/2017 10:28am
tprice07 wrote:
Roczen
Dungey
Canard
Reed
Millsaps
Brayton
Alessi (Canada)
Seely?
Weimer?

I THINK Seely will be back for outdoors but probably appropriate with the question mark. I imagine it depends on his shoulder. For a certain someone's sake, I hope Seely is on the line.
5/10/2017 10:49am

8686 wrote:
Ok. To be fair, this needs to be pointed out: The payout for Daytona is higher than the other races. Last place at the other races...
Ok. To be fair, this needs to be pointed out:

The payout for Daytona is higher than the other races. Last place at the other races does not pay that well.

Secondly, most don't realize what it costs to get a car on the track at the highest level in Nascar. Talk about blowing your mind. The cost is staggering.

Compare that to motocross, where Roczen or Tomac could probably go top ten or better on a bone stock dirt bike.
I agree with all of that. Daytona was just an example that I could find quickly on Google last night. And that was from the days of qualify and park if you were an independent in the back of the field so you could collect the bucks to pay for other races. Believe me, I am aware of the budgets that auto racing teams have. However, even at the lower levels of auto racing, the payout for making the show is much better even with lower attendance figures than our indoor or outdoor series.

How about a regional ARCA race payout. The Snowball Derby in Pensacola, FL. It's been running now for almost 50 years. Winning paid $22,500, 19th-37th paid $1,500. That doesn't count the payout for the qualifying races or any contingency money. Attendance at that race is approximately 10,000 because that's all Five Flags Speedway will hold.

However, I also agree that the entry cost to our sport is much, much lower. At least for the 450 class, we can buy competitive bikes off the showroom floor. Even if they don't have factory ECU's.Grinning To be competitive, you need to train like the world class athlete you will need to be in order to be competitive. That is not without cost.

It better be much lower, because finishing in the lower half of the top 20 costs anyone that doesn't have a contract with a factory out of their pocket to compete. God help those who finish 30-40. It doesn't pay to be one of the "fillers".

The business model in this sport is very broken from the rider's side. Too much dependence on the manufacturers and energy drink sponsors and not enough marketing to diverse sponsors. Sounds like a broken record, but we don't seem to be able to learn our lessons from the past. We continue to sell the sport as entertainment, but we don't pay the entertainers.
F.B
5/10/2017 11:14am
Peick has been back on the bike for a few weeks.
MXTRAINER1
5/10/2017 12:24pm
F.B wrote:
Peick has been back on the bike for a few weeks.
Weston will move forward and up.
kevin204
Fantasy
2870th
5/10/2017 3:11pm
zehn wrote:
Millsaps out
Wait, what? Where did you hear this?!
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
5/10/2017 3:39pm

dcg141
5/10/2017 4:27pm
I agree with all of that. Daytona was just an example that I could find quickly on Google last night. And that was from the days...
I agree with all of that. Daytona was just an example that I could find quickly on Google last night. And that was from the days of qualify and park if you were an independent in the back of the field so you could collect the bucks to pay for other races. Believe me, I am aware of the budgets that auto racing teams have. However, even at the lower levels of auto racing, the payout for making the show is much better even with lower attendance figures than our indoor or outdoor series.

How about a regional ARCA race payout. The Snowball Derby in Pensacola, FL. It's been running now for almost 50 years. Winning paid $22,500, 19th-37th paid $1,500. That doesn't count the payout for the qualifying races or any contingency money. Attendance at that race is approximately 10,000 because that's all Five Flags Speedway will hold.

However, I also agree that the entry cost to our sport is much, much lower. At least for the 450 class, we can buy competitive bikes off the showroom floor. Even if they don't have factory ECU's.Grinning To be competitive, you need to train like the world class athlete you will need to be in order to be competitive. That is not without cost.

It better be much lower, because finishing in the lower half of the top 20 costs anyone that doesn't have a contract with a factory out of their pocket to compete. God help those who finish 30-40. It doesn't pay to be one of the "fillers".

The business model in this sport is very broken from the rider's side. Too much dependence on the manufacturers and energy drink sponsors and not enough marketing to diverse sponsors. Sounds like a broken record, but we don't seem to be able to learn our lessons from the past. We continue to sell the sport as entertainment, but we don't pay the entertainers.
You have point there with ARCA. Is that race even televised? I would love to see the business numbers on both sides.
Sully
5/10/2017 6:06pm
zehn wrote:
Millsaps out
Overlooking Steve's photo (That's all folks!), there's no way that a rider as picky about setup as Reed hops on a bike he's never ridden and goes racing on 2 weeks notice.
MX Guy
Fantasy
727th
5/10/2017 6:12pm
zehn wrote:
Millsaps out
Sully wrote:
Overlooking Steve's photo (That's all folks!), there's no way that a rider as picky about setup as Reed hops on a bike he's never ridden and...
Overlooking Steve's photo (That's all folks!), there's no way that a rider as picky about setup as Reed hops on a bike he's never ridden and goes racing on 2 weeks notice.
I figured he's just a loony tunes guy
bsharkey
5/10/2017 6:52pm
Pourcel gone to canada too. Another top 5 guy
Jrewing
5/10/2017 7:02pm
Jrewing wrote:
APerry151 wrote:
I think he's finally done embarrassing the kids. The Junkyard Pup will be out there though, trying to qualify two years in a row!
Way the field is thin and possibly thinner maybe he can be convinced for 2 more goes around at the Big Show?
BMSOBx2
5/10/2017 7:54pm
Damn shame how SX thins the herd every year.
Spat24
Fantasy
618th
5/10/2017 8:01pm
Roczen is questionable..... Unsure
yep - for the rest of his career.
5/10/2017 8:03pm
I agree with all of that. Daytona was just an example that I could find quickly on Google last night. And that was from the days...

dcg141 wrote:
You have point there with ARCA. Is that race even televised? I would love to see the business numbers on both sides.
Looks like it is pay-per-view only on a website called speed51.com.

BTW, a few former motorcycle racers have won that race in the past. Dave Mader III in 1978 and Tammy Jo Kirk who won some short track races at the early Mini O's (her Dad was the Bultaco dealer in Dalton, GA) won it in 1994.

I would also like to see the business numbers but we both know that won't ever happen.Laughing
APerry151
5/10/2017 9:59pm
GuyB wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/05/10/194025/s1200_050717vegasracing1009.jpg[/img]

Is this your way of "squashing" the Reed to RMC KTM/outdoors rumors?
dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
5/11/2017 8:09am
GuyB wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/05/10/194025/s1200_050717vegasracing1009.jpg[/img]

APerry151 wrote:
Is this your way of "squashing" the Reed to RMC KTM/outdoors rumors?
maybe retired?
TXDirt
5/11/2017 8:23am
Who's in? More like a list of who's out.

Could be a very boring outdoor season....
bayodome
Fantasy
4305th
5/11/2017 8:24am
Why would Dungey be out? Did I miss something?

Post a reply to: Outdoors...who is in and who is out?

The Latest