Our track is a rockfest what is a rider to do?

waitn4
2/28/2012 9:09pm Edited Date/Time 2/29/2012 8:18pm
our local track Kincaid/jodipur motocross park sucks. I am glad we have one, but after the first moto or any time races aren't on this track is hardpack that erodes to sand and is littered with rocks ranging from golfball to fist size. It is really bad in the corners because there is almost no berm or racing line. When I ride it feels like I am on marbles. If you YouTube the track you can see what I mean.

What do you guys in the lower 48 do if you have a track like ours?
|
ianhendry46
2/28/2012 9:11pm
I would say the best thing to do is get a group of guys with a few buckets and walk the track and pick up rocks. or if you have a tractor with a bucket, scrape it a few time and it should be fine
MtnBoy
2/28/2012 9:21pm
Ride 'em. Some really great riders have come from areas that have very rocky tracks, a lot of names from the North West come to mind... Eric Eaton, Larry Ward, Lance Smail....

If you can ride good in the rocks you can ride good most places!
S.Loyer
2/28/2012 9:47pm Edited Date/Time 2/29/2012 12:22am
Did you move to Anchorage?
There is nothing you can do about it there.
That track use to have pretty decent dirt in the the 80's and 90's.
Unfortunately, the dozer operators have been digging into the ground when doing track maintenance digging up all the rocks that were underneath the silt and sand. Then the ground pretty much gave out there, everytime they groom there just bringing up more.
The quads are also throwing off any good dirt on the track off the track bringing up the rocks as well.
They have also over the past 6-8 years been bringing in horrible dirt with rocks in it, bed springs, car parts, you name it.
That track is gone there is no saving it.

Go ride Rival Park and save your bike.
It is by far the best maintained track in Alaska that is public.
Keep in touch with me, I will be back in AK for a few weeks come this summer I have a private track at my house there and a few at a friends I can take you and your friends, husband,boyfriend, girlfriend or whatever to ride at.
No one should have to ride that shit hole in Anchorage.
BobbyM
2/28/2012 9:55pm
waitn4 wrote:
our local track Kincaid/jodipur motocross park sucks. I am glad we have one, but after the first moto or any time races aren't on this track...
our local track Kincaid/jodipur motocross park sucks. I am glad we have one, but after the first moto or any time races aren't on this track is hardpack that erodes to sand and is littered with rocks ranging from golfball to fist size. It is really bad in the corners because there is almost no berm or racing line. When I ride it feels like I am on marbles. If you YouTube the track you can see what I mean.

one word....holeshot!

or is that two?

The Shop

Robgvx
2/29/2012 2:40am Edited Date/Time 2/29/2012 2:43am
What to do?

Man up.

catatonic
2/29/2012 3:20am
get three or 4 guys together and walk the track with a bucket tractor or skidsteer......its the only way to get it done.
jamma10
2/29/2012 3:42am
Its funny, I was just thinking the other day how you never, or at least VERY rarely see current AMA riders use hand guards. (Apart from Travis Pastrami back in the day anyway).

Not that its a good or bad thing necessarily, but it says a lot about the tracks over here compared to typical dirt you find on an Outdoor National circuit.
Adam43
2/29/2012 4:35am
Anderson rock picker. Google 'em. Cheap enough for most clubs, and they get the big ones out pretty well.

mxtech1
2/29/2012 5:06am
This is a problem all tracks usually have, however rocks in the lower states do not have that big of rocks in the topsoil. The farther down your club digs with the disc and tractor equipment is going to turn up more rocks. It will be an endless battle, but the only way to do it is to get a piece of equipment and frequently run it around the track.
roughneck
2/29/2012 5:26am
With most tracks that had good soil/dirt..Everyone always talks about it like man..this place use to have great dirt..Over years and hundreds and hundreds of riders and races taking the good dirt home with them and washing it down the drain in your driveway..takes a toll on the track...I know i have loaded bikes up with an extra 10lbs of mud on them..

ya got to keep adding dirt,chips,horse crap..what ever...walk the track and toss rocks..
TX24
2/29/2012 5:33am
Like roughneck said, try to find a place close by that the track can get sawdust or good dirt to mix in. Short term have a track walk each race day and toss the rocks off that you can.
mac3-d
2/29/2012 5:40am Edited Date/Time 2/29/2012 5:41am
google a rock digger bucket . one was used on a track close by , it was a good job
Roscoe33
2/29/2012 6:17am
it's called motocross not pussycross, bump up your air pressure learn to ride and enjoy them.
Mstock
2/29/2012 6:26am
Roscoe33 wrote:
it's called motocross not pussycross, bump up your air pressure learn to ride and enjoy them.
The pro's don't want to ride on hardpack with rocks. What does that make them?
roughneck
2/29/2012 6:29am
Roscoe33 wrote:
Hummm? pussycross might be a fun new sport..I will try it out on the wife and let ya know how it goes..I know of two big jumps to work on Wink and one slippery section to slow down for..
jamma10
2/29/2012 6:42am
Roscoe33 wrote:
Mstock wrote:
AMA riders. Tongue

Im joking Im joking! Getting blasted by golf ball sized rocks is savage.
Top End
2/29/2012 7:30am
I have seen some rocky tracks mix it up. Adding a sand section wood chip section hard blue grove ext ext. We still have rocks but it mixes it up and makes it more enjoyable.
Robgvx
2/29/2012 7:45am
Roscoe33 wrote:
Mstock wrote:
jamma10 wrote:
AMA riders. Tongue

Im joking Im joking! Getting blasted by golf ball sized rocks is savage.
Hamer Warren. Hants Grand National. Had a piece of rock smash me in the goggles and cut my eyebrow like something out of a Rocky movie. Not nice.
jtomasik
2/29/2012 7:48am
waitn4 wrote:
our local track Kincaid/jodipur motocross park sucks. I am glad we have one, but after the first moto or any time races aren't on this track...

Ride it. It's MX. If you don't like rocks, I suggest quitting and taking up golf.
nornevrder
2/29/2012 8:17am
The track she speaks of is pretty tore up. I came up from the lower 48 and raced a quite a few tracks on the west coast and this one is by far the worst soil I have ever ridden /raced. There are literally rocks that grow throught out the day and when I say rocks I mean bigger then baseballs up to milk gallon jug size with the occasional car part that pops up. It's a losing battle out there especially since they let quadtards race the same day. Quads=blown out lines.
jtomasik
2/29/2012 8:20am Edited Date/Time 2/29/2012 8:21am
Ok, I get that tracks are groomed a lot these days. My comment about golf was just a joke.

But, and maybe this is lost on the new generation because of closure of open space riding, my generation grew up on natural terrain tracks...no grooming...no watering...just ride. Maybe instead of trying to improve the track, go race enduros or some other style of bike racing and learn how to deal with everything (rocks, ruts, roots, sand, hard pack, mud, etc.). I'd bet you come back to that track, kick ass, and take names.
huck
2/29/2012 8:45am
I would say the best thing to do is get a group of guys with a few buckets and walk the track and pick up rocks...
I would say the best thing to do is get a group of guys with a few buckets and walk the track and pick up rocks. or if you have a tractor with a bucket, scrape it a few time and it should be fine
You must not be familiar with how 'rocks' work...

I could spend 24 hours picking up rocks out of one corner of my little track...first rain there are more than there were before. The more that I 'scrape'...the more rocks come up!
justpinit
2/29/2012 8:57am
I would say the best thing to do is get a group of guys with a few buckets and walk the track and pick up rocks...
huck wrote:
You must not be familiar with how 'rocks' work... I could spend 24 hours picking up rocks out of one corner of my little track...first rain...

I could spend 24 hours picking up rocks out of one corner of my little track...first rain there are more than there were before. The more that I 'scrape'...the more rocks come up!
Oh yeah.....you never win with rocks. More like a maintenance or control kind of thing.
huck
2/29/2012 9:02am
huck wrote:
You must not be familiar with how 'rocks' work... I could spend 24 hours picking up rocks out of one corner of my little track...first rain...

justpinit wrote:
Oh yeah.....you never win with rocks. More like a maintenance or control kind of thing.
I just 'deal' with them now...
mtl
2/29/2012 9:28am
1) Tell the track to drop quads.

2) Rent a screener and a bucket loader, maybe a dump truck. Dig out each section of the track, screen the dirt and put it back in.

If you're not in a position to afford the rental then redo the layout of the track to not use the same ground.
Sandberm
2/29/2012 9:31am
MtnBoy wrote:
Ride 'em. Some really great riders have come from areas that have very rocky tracks, a lot of names from the North West come to mind...
Ride 'em. Some really great riders have come from areas that have very rocky tracks, a lot of names from the North West come to mind... Eric Eaton, Larry Ward, Lance Smail....

If you can ride good in the rocks you can ride good most places!
I dont know about that.

Its not the rideing on rocky tracks, its having your eye taken out/broken nose/broken fingers from the roost.

Is Jolly Rogers still around? The only reason I ever ventured over the mountains to ride that Seattle rock quary was because it was on the Pac-West schedule. Hated that place.
mtl
2/29/2012 9:46am
Sandberm wrote:
I dont know about that. Its not the rideing on rocky tracks, its having your eye taken out/broken nose/broken fingers from the roost. Is Jolly Rogers...
I dont know about that.

Its not the rideing on rocky tracks, its having your eye taken out/broken nose/broken fingers from the roost.

Is Jolly Rogers still around? The only reason I ever ventured over the mountains to ride that Seattle rock quary was because it was on the Pac-West schedule. Hated that place.
Heh, Jolly Rogers in New Hampshire is also a rockfest. Great layout and elevation changes but you go home with square wheels.
BobbyM
2/29/2012 10:32am
Robgvx wrote:
What to do? Man up. . . . [img]http://www.geevax.com/Rob/Rocks.jpg[/img] . . [img]http://www.geevax.com/Rob/Sittendorf.jpg[/img] . . [img]http://www.geevax.com/Rob/Sittendorf%2086(2).jpg[/img]
What to do?

Man up.

lol...this might not be a man rob. Smile

how are you? great i hope!
waitn4
2/29/2012 11:40am
nornevrder wrote:
The track she speaks of is pretty tore up. I came up from the lower 48 and raced a quite a few tracks on the west...
The track she speaks of is pretty tore up. I came up from the lower 48 and raced a quite a few tracks on the west coast and this one is by far the worst soil I have ever ridden /raced. There are literally rocks that grow throught out the day and when I say rocks I mean bigger then baseballs up to milk gallon jug size with the occasional car part that pops up. It's a losing battle out there especially since they let quadtards race the same day. Quads=blown out lines.
Well, I guess I need to change my profile picture. I was looking for a picture and i found one of my girlfriend wearing my hat. So I grabbed that one.

That aside, I can ride really well offroad. My first bike was a crf450x and I can ride the wheels off that at jims creek from going 80 over 2-3 foot whoops water skipping or blasting trails praying no quad is around the corner. I love riding, but if you have to chose between riding our track blown up or going offloading it is a tough call.

@ S.loyer I went to rival every chance I got. I love the track and the blanchards are great people. I will be trying to go there when they are open. I will definitely keep in touch. Hope to see you this summer.

@everyone the point of my thread was about what people with similar tracks do for bike setup? Also, the track is most similar to the top photo posted. All of the rocks are smooth with out being embedded. It is like riding on large marbles/baseballs not D1.

Post a reply to: Our track is a rockfest what is a rider to do?

The Latest