Osteoarthritis and knee braces

PN27416
Edited Date/Time 2/18/2016 7:11am
Anyone have this in there knee(s)and ride with a brace to help?
From what I understand and my DR. says. The common moto braces will not help as there more meant for acl injuries/prevention.
I need to reduce the simple straight on impact and fatigue on my knee. I do see braces for this out there but was curious if they will help.
Thanks for any input!
Pete
|
MOTOXR12
3/31/2014 9:25pm
Hi...I have OA on my lateral (outside) of my left knee. I got an OA brace made by Breg (the Fusion model) and it helps when cycling in a standing position with resistance. Haven't had a chance to moto with it yet but hoping it will help.
PN27416
4/3/2014 3:41am
Thank you Kevin! I will check this out.
Pete
Beast666
4/3/2014 5:48am
I have OA in both of my knees and use a DonJoy Action Armor brace on both knees when I ride moto, ski, snowboard, and golf. While the brace will not absorb all impacts it does give me some support and helps in reducing further injury to my knees.

The last few years that have really helped my knees out have been lots of mountain biking along with taking Glucosamine, MSM, Fish oil and Turmeric. A recent article I read suggested the use of Fish oil in place of Ibuprofen after a hard work out.
DTHA70
4/3/2014 8:33am
i have OA braces with ACl and PCL support custom from CTi and while they help with lateral movement and therefore keep strain off of the condyles, there is no brace that will hold up to MX, your legs are going to take a beating and mine swell after every ride. i feel good knowing i have a lesser chance of major ligament damage again though.

The Shop

PN27416
4/3/2014 9:30am
Thank you guys. All great info to help me! I know there is not a fix but will keep riding so want to do as much to help as I can.
Its my right so racing vintage Euro bikes with left side kickers is a big help. I kick my modern 450 with my left leg. Easy with a milk crate but not so much on the track.
Panic_Rev
4/3/2014 11:15am
PN27416 wrote:
Thank you guys. All great info to help me! I know there is not a fix but will keep riding so want to do as much...
Thank you guys. All great info to help me! I know there is not a fix but will keep riding so want to do as much to help as I can.
Its my right so racing vintage Euro bikes with left side kickers is a big help. I kick my modern 450 with my left leg. Easy with a milk crate but not so much on the track.
Easy fix that doesn't require a crate to start your bike...buy a pumpkin.
Moto88
2/17/2016 11:26pm Edited Date/Time 2/17/2016 11:29pm
Beast666 wrote:
I have OA in both of my knees and use a DonJoy Action Armor brace on both knees when I ride moto, ski, snowboard, and golf...
I have OA in both of my knees and use a DonJoy Action Armor brace on both knees when I ride moto, ski, snowboard, and golf. While the brace will not absorb all impacts it does give me some support and helps in reducing further injury to my knees.

The last few years that have really helped my knees out have been lots of mountain biking along with taking Glucosamine, MSM, Fish oil and Turmeric. A recent article I read suggested the use of Fish oil in place of Ibuprofen after a hard work out.
Agree with two points for sure---I notice a lot more pain from moto if I slack off on riding my mountain bike. The more miles I put on the bicycle the better my knees feel. Also look into the Turmeric, not the pills but mixing the turmeric powder with fresh pepper and coconut oil. "supposed" to be much better for you than in the pill form.
Note- important to have your seat as high as possible without letting your leg be fully straight on the stroke, and try not to be in the high gears as this puts alot of stress on the knees. I'm a big fan of granny gears on steep climbs! May be slower but my knees thank me!
PN27416
2/18/2016 3:47am
Been a few years but always great to hear other opinions. Been taking Glucosamine for a few months now. Its been a big difference so far!
3/9/2017 10:45am Edited Date/Time 4/18/2017 9:31am
PN27416 wrote:
Anyone have this in there knee(s)and ride with a brace to help? From what I understand and my DR. says. The common moto braces will not...
Anyone have this in there knee(s)and ride with a brace to help?
From what I understand and my DR. says. The common moto braces will not help as there more meant for acl injuries/prevention.
I need to reduce the simple straight on impact and fatigue on my knee. I do see braces for this out there but was curious if they will help.
Thanks for any input!
Pete
Rheumatoid arthritis symptoms can flare up and then disappear for extended periods of time, so early diagnosis is often challenging. Yet it’s crucial to begin treatment before the joint becomes seriously damaged. Evidence suggests a “window of opportunity” in early RA; hitting the disease early and hard with combinations of disease-modifying drugs during this window can push arthritis into remission or minimize joint damage.

The immediate treatment goal for RA is to reduce joint inflammation. Caught early enough, RA can often be managed with medications, avoiding the need for surgery. Evidence suggests that doctors and patients are doing just that, as rates of joint-replacement surgery related to RA appear to be on the decline. And today, patients with RA are enjoying a better quality of life than they did in years past. A 2014 study found that in the previous two decades, the level of psychological distress and physical disability experienced by rheumatoid arthritis patients has decreased significantly.
PN27416
3/9/2017 1:29pm
I have bought PODs best brace they have and I put it on over a neoprene brace. This all seams to do a great job keeping my knee moving left to right but it does not help with the straight on impact. Either coming up from the bike or down from my body weight. I have learned to deal with it and know my limitations. I don't race modern anymore just older 2 strokes. I won't launch of jumps if the landing won't be smooth. Use practice to loosen up and learn the lines and condition. Learn when to call it a day.
Iwannaride
3/9/2017 6:53pm
Physician is correct. Braces will do little to nothing for the continual impact from MX which will continue to destroy your cartilage. Depending on how old your are and how far gone (cartilage), you have a few options:
1. Office visit and ask doc to give you an amnion inject. This will help to fill in the damaged cartilage.
2. Surgically scope the knee combined with microfracture technique and I highly recommend placing an amnion membrane over the microfracture sight.
3. Hemicap procedure. Google arthrosurface

Good Luck
tuggy450
3/9/2017 8:47pm Edited Date/Time 3/9/2017 8:52pm
Pete from one bridgehampton guy to another, yep I remember you , I was a late 80's early 90's guy. I like the idea of just taping the knees ace wrap ankle wraps,like booties, etc. It used to help me years ago.

I also have arthritis, started a few things that have helped, I am not beating on myself; but, I finally feel like I might be able to. Lately the anti-inflammatories, aspirin, nsaids , just make my stomach hurt. I have always been a supplement guy so I started looking for supplements that help with bones joints etc. tried lots of stuff for about the last 2 years. Finally feel like I found a good combination

Two good ones. stron bone contains strontium and other stuff msm glucosamine, vitamin d, k , onnit is the company . Hard to swallow and I really don't like the idea of that much strontium so usually just one a day. supposedly makes your bones stronger, strontium replaces some of the calcium in your bones making them denser, They say don't take it with calcium impedes absorption, but sometimes I do. helps but not totally, maybe not getting enough msm or glucosamine, but it helps.

and cissus quadrangularis 800mg by sd pharmaceuticals. Only been on the cissus for a little over a week maybe 2 but it has made a huge difference. supposedly good for bone healing and joints?. not sure why, but there are some studies on bone fracture healing rates that were pretty impressive. like total healing in 21 days, other benefits as well but not really what i was after, so far so good.

I also take a calcium mrm bone maximizer III , has vitmin k, d etc and calcium in a micronized bonematrix..i think...Anyway ....................I.have to say this junk has made my joints feel pretty good. I am almost walking normal, and all of it is pretty dirt cheap, try it who knows? BTW my computer says the bridge link has malware, I have been on it before without problems though, good luck, lisc#450
Motoman35
3/10/2017 5:30am
synovial fluid (Synvys 1) and brace for me.

Post a reply to: Osteoarthritis and knee braces

The Latest